• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese newspaper rumor: redesigned Vita unveiling just before TGS

That's kind of the point though. When people say the vita "has no games" they're talking about original content. I ripped all my psx games years ago, and rip my psp games as an ongoing process. I have zero interest in buying/renting them again just to play on the Vita, since I can play those on pc, my pandora & my mobile(and the original consoles if I wasn't worried about wearing out the discs).

Gravity Rush, a version of VLR that doesn't kill saved games, P4G, Disgaea 3 & Danganronpa are the main reasons I'm seriously considering getting a Vita, but of those games one was released on a competing platform and three are enhanced ports of games available on older platforms.

No soul sacrifice, No Ys, No terraway?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I want TV out but I do not think they would do unfortunately because many games have VITA/PS3 versions and it takes away the incentive to buy both.

Xbox one notifications displayed on top of vita which is plugged into Xbox one HDMI input,while remote playing a PS4 game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand why they'd make the screen that large with the same resolution though.

Bigger screen with same resolution is a bad idea.

The same reason Nintendo didn't increase the resolution with the DSi and 3DS XL models. They have to maintain compatibility with the original systems. Trying to shoehorn in a new resolution wouldn't work very well because any existing games are going to have to either be updated for compatibility or will be upscaled, and future games would have to be designed for multiple sets of specs (assuming the new Vita model would be more powerful in order to run games at higher resolution, otherwise it would be entirely pointless).

coldone

Every thing sounds great. Hope they also added support for SD cards. I don't mind using the expensive sony cards for games. But for music and video they should support a second micro-sd card.

32GB is not enough to carry games, music all at the same time. If they fix the SD card mess, lot more people will buy Vita.

Also.. more JRPGs please.

Ys yes, Soul Sacrifice is will-have-to-try(I got a monhun game for free on the 3DS and hated it), Terraway...I've never heard of, and a search yields nothing.

Spelt it wrong my bad. and soul sacrifice plays differently than monster hunter.

Xbox one notifications displayed on top of vita which is plugged into Xbox one HDMI input,while remote playing a PS4 game.

We need to go deeper.

IrishNinja

That's kind of the point though. When people say the vita "has no games" they're talking about original content. I ripped all my psx games years ago, and rip my psp games as an ongoing process. I have zero interest in buying/renting them again just to play on the Vita, since I can play those on pc, my pandora & my mobile(and the original consoles if I wasn't worried about wearing out the discs).

Gravity Rush, a version of VLR that doesn't kill saved games, P4G, Disgaea 3 & Danganronpa are the main reasons I'm seriously considering getting a Vita, but of those games one was released on a competing platform and three are enhanced ports of games available on older platforms.

fair points, i didn't play my PSP as much and have some PSX games i wanted to replay so they're a plus for me. same with ports on the 3DS, i like what it's getting but want a Majora's Mask 3D so bad. likewise, P4G looks amazing but i spent 100+ hours beating (and loving) P4 not too many years back, so i can't bite.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I seriously doubt this, 6.3 is the size of the Wii U gamepad screen, in other words, this thing would be a gigantic brick. It wouldn't really be a portable system anymore, it barely is now.

I love off TV play on WiiU and it has less games than vita. Same sized screen with the guaranteed larger library of PS4 would make me very happy.

Ah, looks quite nice. Will have to go in the will-have-to-try pile though, as I note it's by the LittleBigPlanet guys, and I wasn't that enamoured with how that game controlled.

likewise, P4G looks amazing but i spent 100+ hours beating (and loving) P4 not too many years back, so i can't bite.

Never had the time to properly sink into the ps2 version. Looking forward to playing P4G on the train though, it's pretty much the only place I can seriously sink into playing games these days.

Bluforce

The same reason Nintendo didn't increase the resolution with the DSi and 3DS XL models. They have to maintain compatibility with the original systems. Trying to shoehorn in a new resolution wouldn't work very well because any existing games are going to have to either be updated for compatibility or will be upscaled, and future games would have to be designed for multiple sets of specs (assuming the new Vita model would be more powerful in order to run games at higher resolution, otherwise it would be entirely pointless).
Sure, okay.

So don't make the screen bigger. 5 inches are more than enought.

Durante

The one thing I've never thought is 'hey I wish I could run more apps in the background. If only my vita had more ram that couldn't be used by games'

Really odd. It doesn't even have that many apps as it is. Unless they're going for an android/vita hybrid phablet thing?
I don't think it's that odd. If nothing else, it will look good on a spec sheet, and at this point the added cost per device for doubling the memory is probably in the cents.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So a bigger screen and more RAM?

Sony still spectacularly failing to understand the handheld market, then.

Assuming the rumor is true, and I'm skeptical, I think it's intended more as a PS4 companion device than a proper portable. If they really wanted it to function more as a portable they'd go for a Vita slim with a smaller screen (which was my expectation) instead of a Vita XL.

I don't buy into this rumour at all. Everything about it just makes me question "why would they do that?" The Vita doesn't need a redesign, it needs a price cut... pretty much now with Killzone Mercenary looming ahead.

The increase screen size sounds bs. Why do that if the resolution is the same? lol
Increasing the ram, but not letting the game use the extra ram is so stupid. Why do that?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't think it's that odd. If nothing else, it will look good on a spec sheet, and at this point the added cost per device for doubling the memory is probably in the cents.

Isn't all the memory in vita in the SoC? Or just the VRAM?

I really hope all the RemotePlay and Gaikai stuff will work on the old Vitas.
The RAM increase makes me suspicious. Would be a bummer if I have to buy a new model for the Ps4 companion features.

thuway

I don't get the extra ram part. Right now you can run Music Unlimited, Skype, Twitter or the web browser without closing out a game. What other apps do they even want to run at the same time that they can't currently?

And wouldn't the idea be to make it cheaper?

My Dear Sackboy,

The choice of components over time become cheaper or relatively inexpensive to purchase newer materials. For example, a 6.3 inch Igzo / SLCD 3 display might be cheaper with less power draw, than an OLED equivalent. This alone could drop the price substantially.

Either way, both of us know, Sony is making a profit, despite what little the Vita sells. A move dear Nintendo has been amazing with.

Alienous

The increase screen size sounds bs. Why do that if the resolution is the same? lol
Increasing the ram, but not letting the game use the extra ram is so stupid. Why do that?

Perhaps they want to position the Playstation Vita in the tablet market, rather than being next to phones.
Perhaps they want functionality like the PS4, such as streaming, recording etc. for the newest iteration of the Playstation Vita?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

See my post above. And the RAM thing already happened with the PSP, the PSP2000 and all future revisions had twice the RAM of the original model but were still limited to the original 32MB for games. The extra RAM could be used for caching to reduce loading times though.

And what's wrong with having different models for people to choose from? I really doubt they'd quit manufacturing the original.

If we're going to believe this rumor at all a double whammy with two revisions would be even better. One that's smaller and lighter with a smaller screen for more portability and one that's bigger.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Enhanced said:
Sony still spectacularly failing to understand the handheld market, then.
Between NDS and 3DS models that were simultaneously on the market, which sold/sell better again?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I shall dub thee, Xyber-Vita - the Hugest.

o9WHu.gif

I kinda get where Sony would be going with this. Fuck the uninterested portable market, chase the cutting edge 'perfect PS4 companion' market and make a splash with a ridiculously sized device.

My Dear Sackboy,

The choice of components over time become cheaper or relatively inexpensive to purchase newer materials. For example, a 6.3 inch Igzo / SLCD 3 display might be cheaper with less power draw, than an OLED equivalent. This alone could drop the price substantially.

Either way, both of us know, Sony is making a profit, despite what little the Vita sells. A move dear Nintendo has been amazing with.
Since Samsung are specifically mentioned as the screen supplier it probably means SAMOLED+ has been chosen for this revision. Sony failing to understand the market IMO given that they just sold 10m smartphones at a $330 ASP. Higher than the cost of the Vita and all of those had frankly sub-par LCD screens compared to the competition who mostly sold less. The market doesn't give a shit about "dat OLED" and Sony needs to dump it and cut the cost.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
This falls in line with my basic speculation a while ago, about how a vita redesign will be bigger and lean towards ps4 use at home.

TriGen

This is interesting and I understand them trying to market this more as a companion to the PS4, but as someone that's waiting for the memory card price issue to be fixed and waiting until I can get a Vita for $150, this isn't exactly the Vita rumor I was hoping for.

Still, I do prefer bigger screens and if they are increasing the RAM so things like streaming and game recording can be done with the Vita as well this would be more tempting than an OG Vita to me.

KiNeSiS

Banned

Why not have a display resoloution settings mode like PS3?

JP

That's a massive screen! Although some phones sort of get away with it they don't have the controls that that Vita has so it's going to be really big. Not sure if a new version is needed really, they only real change they need hardware wise is to be able to use other memory cards.

Top Bottom