• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese software sale 5-12 Dec 2005

wazoo said:
It is time for the Sony fanboys to counter attack.

"420k !! How can they sell so much !! Half of them must be replacements for broken consoles"

:)

:lol

Whos making the LCDs? Sharp? I wonder what the sentiment about them is right now.

1 million DS = 2 million screens

heidern

XS+ said:
When the PSP launches, the DS will summarily find itself occupying a space next to the Virtual Boy. Why would any consumer opt for a system so absurdly outdated, when they can purchase the similarly priced PSP, which offers current-generation graphics and a host of other attractive features? Even more sadder than this thread is the fact "analysts" get paid to posit the dumbfoundingly obvious.
Deg said:
Are you a bad comedian?
Holy shit, even Deg was owning this Sony fanboy. Deg!

marc^o^ said:
Could DS break a december sales record in Japan?
See, I told you it would. Oh, and btw the DS will have done 900,000 over the last 3 weeks from 28th November to 18th December. The 420K sales should increase next week as well since it is the big sales week and there are 9 new DS releases. The week after that normally goes down, but Brain Training 2 is coming out and so is Mario&Luigi. I think it is conceivable that the DS does over 600K next week and another 400K or more the week after too(although shortages could dent that). In other words 1 million in the last 2 weeks and maybe pushing 2M units in the 5 week December. That's the kind of numbers GBA pulls out in the US and would actually leave the DS within reach of 6 million which it could pass in January.

Why is the DS breaking sales records so? Because the DS has multiple killer apps that are killer apps to multiple distinct audiences. Mario Kart appeals to the traditional gamers and traditional Nintendo fan. Nintendogs appeals to women. Brain Training appeals to older people. Tamagotchi and Pokemon dungeon will appeal to a younger audience. They have manga games like Jump Super Stars that appeal to the more playstation style following. It's kind of like 4 systems selling 100K apiece to achieve 400K rather than the typical system which has been fairly narrow in it's targeting. Although of course there is gonna be crossover between these groups so it is one system just doing amazingly well.

nintendomination4ky.jpg

If those quotes from Shinobi hold true, I'm expecting some more Sony damage control to come about. Maybe projections for 20 million PSP's sold by mid-2006?

...and all this without the Mario platformer and Pokemon.

koam

I'm surprised Nintendo had that many DS units on shelves. That's about 720,000 units in 2 weeks. did they actually anticipate this many being sold?

cvxfreak

koam said:
I'm surprised Nintendo had that many DS units on shelves. That's about 720,000 units in 2 weeks. did they actually anticipate this many being sold?

I guess Japan's at an advantage for being so close to China, where the DSes are produced, relative to the rest of the world.

Gaybrush, the UK sales person, said that NOE had to airlift more DS systems to either the UK or all of Europe.

In the grand scheme of things, 400,000 isn't impossible next to Apple shipping out 100K iPod nanos every single day for the holidays.

koam said:

When you consider the release of two major franchises, that is only weeks apart. Nintendo figured they're not going to miss this opportunity trying to be conservative. With every major release seems to give the DS an increase in sells. It was logical to be prepared for the holidays.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Apenheul said:
I may be misinformed but didn't the DS do allright in NA? I thought DS and PSP were pretty much on par there.
That's because white & black DS and Brain Training have yet to be released in NA. If on top of that Metroïd Prime turns out to be great, March could be the month when DS set the record straight.

Or the Western audience is completely different than the Japanese one.
(but didn't we assume that wrong for Nintendogs already?)

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Shinobi said that retailers were still stocked after last week, so they might have anticipated this. Probabyl why nintendo hasn't put out a press release in a while. They want the big "handheld war is over" bang ;-)

marc^o^

CVXFREAK said:
In the grand scheme of things, 400,000 isn't impossible next to Apple shipping out 100K iPod nanos every single day for the holidays.
Really? O_O Would you have an article backing up this figure? I keep saying the ipod is the real walkman of the 21st century, but I wasn't expecting such sales...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
marc^o^ said:
Really? O_O Would you have an article backing up this figure? I keep saying the ipod is the real walkman of the 21st century, but I wasn't expecting such sales...

I don't believe those sales.

Mihail

Banned
I'm really surprised at the amount of sonycowboy ownage in that PSP/DS thread. He's always been one of my favorite posters and a typically level-headed guy.

Firest0rm

Mihail said:
I'm really surprised at the amount of sonycowboy ownage in that PSP/DS thread. He's always been one of my favorite posters and a typically level-headed guy.

His love for Sony got to him. He paid for it. Let this be a lesson to Sony Fans.

marc^o^ said:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20051220095521704

Apple shipping 100,000 iPod nanos per day NFHQ reports that, in a best effort to meet demand for its top-selling iPod nano this holiday, Apple Computer is building and shipping 100,000 of the units per day. "In recent weeks Apple has made moves to increase its output of iPod nanos, which are the company's best selling items this holiday season. This included tapping former click-wheel supplier Synaptics to help supply components for click-wheels in the 2GB and 4GB nano." More.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Netrunner2k2 said:
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20051220095521704

Apple shipping 100,000 iPod nanos per day NFHQ reports that, in a best effort to meet demand for its top-selling iPod nano this holiday, Apple Computer is building and shipping 100,000 of the units per day. "In recent weeks Apple has made moves to increase its output of iPod nanos, which are the company's best selling items this holiday season. This included tapping former click-wheel supplier Synaptics to help supply components for click-wheels in the 2GB and 4GB nano." More.
Is that worldwide?

marc^o^

Netrunner2k2 said:
Apple shipping 100,000 iPod nanos per day NFHQ reports that, in a best effort to meet demand for its top-selling iPod nano this holiday
When you think of it, it's not more than what Sony is selling with the PSP this holiday season.
No I'm not lying, Phil Harrison said so.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
marc^o^ said:
When you think of it, it's not more than what Sony is selling with the PSP this holiday season.
No I'm not lying, Phil Harrison said so.

Cept Apple actually SELLS them ;).

GDGF

Soothsayer
Striek said:
Guess you guys can have fun looking back now, but I see jarrod had to go basically alone. Most of you (or me) weren't registered then, but where was the rest of the brigade? Ashamedly hiding and agreeing with the popular sentiment?

I was right there along side the true believers (not in that specific thread, yeah, but I fought my battles...I was probably getting drunk that night :lol) I posted as Cruel Bastard Mario back then, I think.

marc^o^

Mihail said:
You can be level-headed and lack vision. Sonycowboy should not be finger pointed. Analysts / Journalists are the ones we should be forced laughing at.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
polg said:
I'm quite sure it is...

in several countries it is completely sold out and not receiving shipments due to the US demand.
Wouldn't that likely put the DS on par with the nano then? o_O

Meier

Someone really should post this (astounding) info in a new thread.. it certainly deserves it (probably being overlooked by many people since it's so buried).

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Meier said:
Someone really should post this (astounding) info in a new thread.. it certainly deserves it (probably being overlooked by many people since it's so buried).
I think that thread would go down in flames.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Meier said:
The new thread will be started when new numbers are released tonight.

marc^o^

Fuzzy said:
The new thread will be started when new numbers are released tonight.
We can't miss the traditional question: at what time will the numbers get released Fuzzy?

clearacell said:
nintendomination4ky.jpg

If those quotes from Shinobi hold true, I'm expecting some more Sony damage control to come about. Maybe projections for 20 million PSP's sold by mid-2006?

...and all this without the Mario platformer and Pokemon.

True true. The ownage comes on two screens this holiday season.

Pimpbaa

Seems like every freakin thread in gaf lately is a psp vs ds thread. What the hell is wrong with you people? Are you that insecure?

ioi

Banned
littlewig said:
Posted these predictions back on the 16th, I wonder how close I am.

I'd guess for Media Create:

DS 420k
PSP 110k
PS2 60k
GBA (all versions) 35k
GC 25k
X360 20k
Xbox 150

I said DS would do well a couple of weeks ago, but it has just exceeded all my predictions by miles.

I think I originally said:

Animal Crossing 1.5m
Brain Training 1.2m
Gentle BT / Nintendogs 1.1m

for LTD but to be honest they will be hitting those numbers mid Jan at the current rate.

I think apart from Kingdom Hearts and Naruto 3 next week, the rest of the top 10 (15?) will be DS games (+Mario Party, Naruto 4)...

DS - 399k
PSP - 101k
PS2 - 72k
GBA - 40k
Xbox 360 - 25k (I hope for Microsofts state)
Gamecube - 24k
Xbox - 175

1. Tales of the Abyss - 393,194
2. Animal Crossing - 123,321
3. Mario Kart DS - 122,210

I have no idea what came out last week. So I don't know what to expect beyond those.

ioi

Banned
I completely agree with heidern's predictions by the way for DS

420k this week
600k just before xmas
450k week after
300k last big week

then back down to 100k or so by mid Jan.

So could be another 1.8 million in 4 weeks !!! Or 6m LTD

And for Animal Crossing, expect

180k this week
240k week before xmas

etc

So again, around 1.4m by mid Jan... WOW

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Pimpbaa said:
Seems like every freakin thread in gaf lately is a psp vs ds thread. What the hell is wrong with you people? Are you that insecure?
You might have a point but the japanese sales thread seems like the worst place to make it.

DS - 415k
PSP - 125k
PS2 - 90k
GBA - 65k (FF Micro)
Xbox 360 - 15k
Gamecube - 30k

Just throwing out random software numbers. Sofware for next week should be even bigger still, can definitely see AC doing 200k next week and MK being close.

1. Tales of the Abyss - 405k
2. Animal Crossing - 185k
3. Mario Kart DS - 145k
4. Brain Training - 80k
5. Tamagotchi - 70k
6. Pokemon Dungeon - 150k (split evenly)
7. Monster Hunter - 60K
8. Rogue Galaxy - 100k
9. Nintendogs - 60k

Pimpbaa

monkeyrun said:
yup stillborn all the way :)

I think it will sell quite well if its as cheap as people will think it will be, plus the fact that most people don't have HD tv sets. But I really don't want to get into that for fear of derailing this thread even further.

KINGMOKU

Okay, I'm new to the whole "wait for the sales charts" thing, but you bastards have sucked me in so hard, my whole life goes on hiatus when they come out.

Can I have the time when they hit? Please. I'm pathetic, I know.

Top Bottom