• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese software sale 5-12 Dec 2005

Furret

Banned
Does anyone know when the main Japanese gift giving day is?

I'm assuming it's not Christmas Day (since the Japanese market seems to be gearing up for a date later than that), but when else is it?

Is it New Year's Day perhaps or another Japanese-only holiday or holidays?

cvxfreak

I've always gotten different responses on the Japanese holiday. Some people strongly believe that it's stuff like AC and MKDS selling systems and not the holidays. Other people believe that the Japanese New Years and school break are what drives sales during this time of year. I think it's a combination of both.

CVXFREAK said:
I've always gotten different responses on the Japanese holiday. Some people strongly believe that it's stuff like AC and MKDS selling systems and not the holidays. Other people believe that the Japanese New Years and school break are what drives sales during this time of year. I think it's a combination of both.
I guess we'll get a better idea looking back in a month or so. Looking at last year's numbers, though, it seems like (not counting launch weeks for the new portables) GCN, GBA, GBASP, and DS had their highest numbers the week of December 20, while PS2 and PSP peaked the week of December 27. Then Xbox passed 1000 the week of January 3.

Pimpwerx said:
This thread is worthless really, since it will all come down to waiting and seeing. But that said, Nintendo fans have become the new Sega fans. Living in a permanent state of denial about the impending doom facing their preferred company. Well, just think, in a couple years, you'll be able to find all the GB/DS software you want at great prices, as new releases go straight to the bargain bin, DC stylee. :lol Just need a touch more of that Sega-esque desperation. PEACE.

I had to quote that again, it's just great :lol

Thomper

I loved this one:
Insertia said:
SE couldn't get away with something as cheap as porting a NES game to PSP unless the graphics were remade entirely 3d or it featured entirely updated sprites and hand drawn/cg backgrounds. It's entirely passable for DS, though.
afinalfantasyiiithompwns3ay.jpg

:lol

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
By the way,

Are they makign a FF:CC game for DS? The two screens and ability to play online with three others sounds perfect for this game.

Will DS sell 1,000,000+ units in December alone? I'm guessing "Yes". If last weeks sales do end up at 350,000, then so far they've already sold approx 800,000 in just 19 days.

Here's what Shinobi says.

DS sells stronger than last week. It's close to 420k that marked on the launch.
That makes DS monthly sales over 800k, and it will be over 1 mil after this week.

Doubutsu sales was 180k, MKDS was 150k in the same period. Doubutsu could reach
1 mil by the end of this year.
Pokemon Dungeon games sold around 160k.

ziran

Michirou_53 said:

That makes DS monthly sales over 800k, and it will be over 1 mil after this week.

wow! :O

Pimpwerx said:
A lot has changed in this post-9/11 world. Hindsight is 20/20. DS sucks. PEACE.

:D

Here's what Shinobi says. DS sells stronger than last week. It's close to 420k that marked on the launch. That makes DS monthly sales over 800k, and it will be over 1 mil after this week. Doubutsu sales was 180k, MKDS was 150k in the same period. Doubutsu could reach 1 mil by the end of this year. Pokemon Dungeon games sold around 160k.

Close to 420k!? Wtf is going on over there :lol

It's roughly about 8 hours until we get the software numbers, isn't it? :)

mj1108

Furret said:
Does anyone know when the main Japanese gift giving day is?

I'm assuming it's not Christmas Day (since the Japanese market seems to be gearing up for a date later than that), but when else is it?

Is it New Year's Day perhaps or another Japanese-only holiday or holidays?

Easter.

jman2050

Michirou_53 said:

Good freaking God.

Who was it that said JPN games get 50% of their sales in the first week? Except for Nintendo games XD?

Wow, I actually low balled with 365k. 420k is absolutely insane, so close to launch numbers it's scary. It'll be interesting to see if it can keep up these huge numbers for the next 2 weeks, stock levels must surely be dipping by now.

Animal Crossing is a shoe in for 1million now, only 240k to do in the 2 busiest weeks of the year. Great move launching it before MK.

neo2046

Michirou_53 said:

Shinobi has added more comments

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10007298227.html

- Pokemon Dungeon (2 ver) breaks 700k total
- Tamagotchi, nintendogs, Brain training, Gentle Exercise ought to break 1 million mark in early 2006
- TOA has sells a lot more than TOL during the same period
- Rogue Galaxy has been sold a lot less than last week
- Monster hunter Portable is available to break 200k before 2006
- Karakuri & Exit also fail...
- while all the sales of the hardwares have pumped during the holiday,
only X360 has been sold a lot less than last week

I like seeing a circle jerk like this after Nintendo got bashed so hard for their decisions. Goes to show you that maybe some 14 year old on a forum might not know more about the industry than Iwata.

Wish I had been here through all of the hilarity though. Some of thse quotes are absolutely brilliant.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It's not that surprising. DS is just an awesome combination of factors: cheap console with a wide choice of colors, cheap games, great library covering all tastes, totally multiplayer oriented (2 fantastic games playable online already for free + most games playable in LAN with one cartridge only), totally portable (robust & good battery), controls suited to gamers & non gamers, etc.

I wonder how insane DS sales will be when the new 2D Mario is released o_O

gconsole

my guess

Tales of the Abyss - 370,000
Mario Kart DS - 150,000
Animal Crossing - 120,000
Brain Training - 90,000
Final Fantasy IV - 120,000
Tamagotchi - 80,000
Rogue Galaxy - 42,000
Biohazard 4 - 25,000

DS - 390,000
PSP - 75,000
Xbox 360 - 10,500

P90

With sales like that, Japan being the center of the gaming world has been reclaimed, quite emphatically.

jarrod

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
Me, jonnyram and AniHawk were sick of it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before jarrod ever got into it. I have no will to ever conduct debates with Idiot Member again. He's wrong, always has been, always will be. :D
Indeed, my change of heart's been pretty recent. Still, AniHawk + CVXFREAK + Jonnyram + jarrod = DSBFFFTW Club!!

And yes, Galian's always wrong. Always. Praise be to Dragona!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Leonsito said:
800.000 consoles in 3 weeks o_O
If the 420K is close to being true then it's over 890K this month with two weeks to go. It would also push the LTD to within 330K of 5 million. :O

P90 said:
With sales like that, Japan being the center of the gaming world has been reclaimed, quite emphatically.

Because the gaming world revolves around Nintendo? Not trying to argue here, but outside of the DS, North American sales have generally been much better than Japan's. The GBA sold almost as much in November in the US as it did all year in Japan.

ioi

Banned
Well yet again, I thought I was being optomistic saying sales would stay flat this week.

420k is absolutely amazing.

I do keep saying though, that next week ALWAYS sees at least a +50% increase across the board.

Animal Crossing could have passed a million by next week (this Sunday)

Nintendogs, both Brain Trainings, Tamogotchi will all do a million before year end as well.

DS is ruling.

Biggest ever December before was GBA in 2002 after Pokemon. I only managed to find two of the weeks sales as I quoted earlier in this thread:

http://www.ga-forum.com/showpost.php?p=2424581&postcount=206

So that's 241.6k for week ending 15th Dec and 325.4k week ending 22nd

PS2 launch according to Famitsu:

Code:
05-Mar-00			635.5
12-Mar-00			149.3
19-Mar-00			71.8
26-Mar-00			112.6
02-Apr-00			165.7
09-Apr-00			119.4
16-Apr-00			75.7
23-Apr-00			83.1

And first year sales of GBA can be found at:

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/dspsp.php

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
neo2046 said:
Shinobi has added more comments

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10007298227.html

- Pokemon Dungeon (2 ver) breaks 700k total
- Tamagotchi, nintendogs, Brain training, Gentle Exercise ought to break 1 million mark in early 2006
- Rogue Galaxy has been sold a lot less than last week
- Monster hunter Portable is available to break 200k before 2006
- Karakuri & Exit also fail...
- while all the sales of the hardwares have pumped during the holiday,
only X360 has been sold a lot less than last week
:0

P90

Forgotten Ancient said:
Because the gaming world revolves around Nintendo? Not trying to argue here, but outside of the DS, North American sales have generally been much better than Japan's. The GBA sold almost as much in November in the US as it did all year in Japan.

No, that is not what I said or meant. Japan is back playing videgames, notably handhelds (DS and PSP). Per capita, Japan is tops again. I haven't crunched numbers but 125 million buying that many consoles/handhelds and games is a higher ratio than what the 285 million buying in the US are buying. I'm pretty sure that will influence developer plans to make more Japanese-centric titles.

neo2046 said:
It already did by 40k only with 1st day sales ... I want to know if its near Rebirth numbers or not :/ (335k)

X360 <42k...ok...DoA4 won't come soon enough to save its Christmas show.

Well if Nintendogs, Brain Training, Gentle Brain Training, and Animal Crossing all break 1 million. These will all be Nintendo's first new franchises to break 1 million in Japan since Mario Party 2 or Pokemon Stadium did it in (1999 I think). Those games were just spin-offs of already established franchises too. That sold millions already. The only GBA games that have sold 1 million are all Pokemon. Unless the Famicon Mini version of Super Mario Bros. did it last week.

cvxfreak

420K?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I wonder if the Pokemon Dungeon games will sell a million between them. Man, this must be some historic moment or something for Nintendo. They're going to get like six, million sellers within a two week span (they had one last week while we're at it). This is where the GBA failed and the DS is definitely succeeding.

Now if only they'd pack in a little booklet about the Revolution with each DS sold.

heavenly

I thought the Brain Training games weren't Nintendo's creations? If so, why is Sega permitted to make the games on other platforms? Who owns the rights?

I think it would be wise for Nintendo to buy the exclusive rights to the Brain Training franchise so no other company can secure them for other platforms, or diminish their value by subpar spinoffs.

Thomper

heavenly said:
I thought the Brain Training games weren't Nintendo's creations? If so, why is Sega permitted to make the games on other platforms? Who owns the rights?

I think it would be wise for Nintendo to buy the exclusive rights to the Brain Training franchise so no other company can secure them for other platforms, or diminish their value by subpar spinoffs.
You can't really buy the rights to a brain training game, I'd say. It's just a few quizzes/tests/tasks, like an IQ test. Not really innovative, but it's so simple that it works. :)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
heavenly said:

You can't own educational software, it's a category not a franchise.

P90 said:
No, that is not what I said or meant. Japan is back playing videgames, notably handhelds (DS and PSP). Per capita, Japan is tops again. I haven't crunched numbers but 125 million buying that many consoles/handhelds and games is a higher ratio than what the 285 million buying in the US are buying. I'm pretty sure that will influence developer plans to make more Japanese-centric titles.

Sorry, must've misunderstood ya. Japan certainly has been exploding as of late with the handhelds and especially the DS. This certainly bodes well for the Revolution.

420K DS? OMG! Is that confirmed? I <3 Nintendo...it only takes great sales like this to reaffirm my affection. Nintendo...you had me so worried, but I will not doubt you anymore.

Koren

Stopsign said:
The only GBA games that have sold 1 million are all Pokemon. Unless the Famicon Mini version of Super Mario Bros. did it last week.
One of the Megaman Battle Network probably did it also, IIRC...

I wont believe 400,000 until I see it in the PSP-DS chart.

Its just way too much.

Who would have thought that the same console that did 70,000 in an entire month in the US would be doing 400,000 in one week in Japan a few months later?

And why isnt Nintendo releasing press stuff about this? I want more comics with Nintendo is king on them.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
wazoo said:
It is time for the Sony fanboys to counter attack.

"420k !! How can they sell so much !! Half of them must be replacements for broken consoles"

:)
They're not broken, the touch screens are just scratched so badly that you have to replace the entire unit. :lol

Top Bottom