• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese software sale 5-12 Dec 2005

Aurora

PhoenixDark said:
And yes, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl will be Wi Fi enabled. Up to 16 players will be able to play at once, so hopefully we'll see some MMO features.

Link to that? Not in doubt, I just want to read more about it.

I don't see why they would put up to 16 players though, I mean 4 is really enough for the 2 on 2 battles. It's not as if they're going to have 8 on 8 battles. I really hope it doesn't involve MMO elements because I honestly don't see it working - especially with a mere 16 people at a time.

monkeyrun

Aurora said:
Link to that? Not in doubt, I just want to read more about it.

I don't see why they would put up to 16 players though, I mean 4 is really enough for the 2 on 2 battles. It's not as if they're going to have 8 on 8 battles. I really hope it doesn't involve MMO elements because I honestly don't see it working - especially with a mere 16 people at a time.
maybe Diablo like

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Masuda also commented that he expects the games to use the DS's Wi-Fi capabilities to connect simultaneously with 16 players and that the touch-sensitive screen will be employed during gameplay.

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/pokemondiamond/news.html?sid=6128890

When they say wifi, I never know if they mean online or just local. Why didn't they give them different names, the prats. Anyway, not putting Pokemon online seems like a stupid idea, so I'm sure it will be. Personally I'll be happy with straight up battling and trading, a part of the series I've hardly ever been able to take part in, but anything else would be nice too.

Chrono

Banned
OT question: did Nintendo discontinue the original GBA once they released SP? I'm wondering if the same will happen with DS:SP or they'll have two systems at different prices.

cvxfreak

Chrono said:
OT question: did Nintendo discontinue the original GBA once they released SP? I'm wondering if the same will happen with DS:SP or they'll have two systems at different prices.

I think the original GBA was introduced to China in... 2003? 2004? At any point I think it was finally killed off by the micro rather than the SP.

CVXFREAK said:
Joshua, you need to bring back those "it'll be 1990 before PSP and DS meet up again" dealies. :lol
Honestly that's been mostly boring, resulting in a lot of 2004 dates, or maybe a 2001 if the PSP had a decent week. However, this week's massive DS unit lead does give the interesting result of only requiring a bit more than 9 negative weeks for them to meet up; the closest it's been since the actual launch month. October 8, 2005, at 1,529,925 units apiece. :)

Among the various stats my spreadsheet keeps track of, it is worth noting that this week Microsoft's share of all hardware sales for the year jumped up from 0.2% to 0.7%. By having 8.7% of the weekly share, they forced Sony into their lowest share this year (26.1%).

Christberg said:
Let's see...

So next week-
DS LTD lead passes 2 million
DS YTD lead passes 1 million
DS LTD doubles PSP number
The first two seem possible enough, but not the last. That would require a week something like...

PSP: 10,000
DS: 400,028

or more realistically for the PSP and time of year, something like

PSP: 100,000
DS: 580,028

If, however, we were to live in a zany universe where this week's totals repeated indefinitely, DS would surpass double the PSP's LTD the first week of next year. Though it would be REALLY close the week before, coming within 500 units.

ejdonk

*side note*

Yesterday, Nintendo announced some numbers for the German market:

Nintendogs pulled off 250k in two months.. it sure could be more, if it wasn't completely sold out everywhere. I was lucky to get a pink ds bundled with nintendogs a week ago for the normal price of 140 Euro and sold it at ebay for 190 Euro. The bundles with the blue DS are even 200-230 Euro at ebay.

Mario Kart DS moved > 100k units in 3 weeks. In the same time 150k DS were sold.

So all in all, it's looking pretty good for the DS here too. -.-

JoshuaJSlone said:
The first two seem possible enough, but not the last. That would require a week something like...

PSP: 10,000
DS: 400,028

or more realistically for the PSP and time of year, something like

PSP: 100,000
DS: 580,028

If, however, we were to live in a zany universe where this week's totals repeated indefinitely, DS would surpass double the PSP's LTD the first week of next year. Though it would be REALLY close the week before, coming within 500 units.

*redoes math...

Yeah, that last one did appear a little funky.
The other 2 seem pretty likely to me though. Provided trends remain identical.

Kroole

Where does Everything or Nothing get their sales data? Seems strange that Mario kart sold more than Rogue Galaxy according to that chart.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ioi said:
The latest DS vs PSP vs GBA charts are up on Everything and Nothing:

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/dspsp.php

As well as this weeks numbers:

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japweekly.php?date=38697

Oh and while you're there, check out some cool music at StudentBands.co.uk:

http://www.studentbands.co.uk
The latest shipments for the consoles really should be updated at least to the end of September. You'll have to check for the break down by region.

PS2 - 96.01
PSP - 8.81

GCN - 19.31
GBA - 70.04
DS - 8.83

ioi

Banned
Fuzzy said:
The latest shipments for the consoles really should be updated at least to the end of September. You'll have to check for the break down by region.

PS2 - 96.01
PSP - 8.81

GCN - 19.31
GBA - 70.04
DS - 8.83

Done :)

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Fuzzy said:

PS2 - 96.01
PSP - 8.81

GCN - 19.31
GBA - 70.04
DS - 8.83
Apples and oranges.

ioi

Banned
Just to give a bit of a heads up for the next couple of weeks, the following two websites are pretty good with their predictions:

http://www.kyoto.zaq.ne.jp/dkbkq103/yso/machi.htm

and

http://www2.realint.com/cgi-bin/tarticles.cgi?ralva+1489

which is a message board where (I think) the table on the other site comes from and basically the site (which is long established although it has recently changed) asks people to predict their top 3 games for the following week and is usually pretty accurate.

This week (ending today the 18th) is pretty easy to forsee I think:

1 Tales of the Abyss 300-350k (I think Jonnyram said somewhere between the last two tales games- Revirth did 385, Lengendia did 240)
2 Mario Kart DS 150-170k
3 Animal Crossing DS 140-160k
4 Final Fantasy IV 120-130k

Its the week ending the 25th I hadn't though ahead much to. This is the biggest week of the year, where sales really peak and Kingdom Hearts is out. People are predicting:

1 Kingdom Hearts 2 650-800k !!!!
2 Animal Crossing 200-250k (sailing past one million in the process)
3 Mario Kart DS 180-200k (around 600k total in 3 weeks)
4 Naruto 3 PS2 170-200k
5 Tamogotchi 120-150k !!!! (around 650k total !!)

DS 450k
PSP 200k

Brain Training 100k
Nintendogs 75k

Now I'd totally forgotten about Kingdom Hearts 2 and it's gonna be huge but I dunno if 750-800k is a bit high- I'd have said 500-550k. I think 200k + for Animal Crossing and close to that for Mario Kart is very possible though and huge jumps for older DS games like Brain Training and Tamogotchi are also possible (could Tamogotchi be another million seller??)

It's gonna be an interesting few weeks.

On a related note, how would people like to do a proper prediction thread every week (or at least interesting weeks like this around xmas) with points and stuff a bit like the NPD one?

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Fuzzy said:

PS2 - 96.01
PSP - 8.81

GCN - 19.31
GBA - 70.04
DS - 8.83

Gahiggidy said:
Apples and oranges.

Sold through vs SSS (Shittie-Sony-Shipment) figures.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Mook1e said:
Except those are all shipped numbers... :|
No, no. Nintendo's numbers are actual units sold and delivered to retailers. Sony's numbers are somewhat of a mystery but its understood that it can include both "orders" and units shiped out of the manufacturing plant to Sony warehouses arond the world.

Mook1e

Gahiggidy said:
No, no. Nintendo's numbers are actual units sold and delivered to retailers. Sony's numbers are somewhat of a mystery but its understood that it can include both "orders" and units shiped out of the manufacturing plant to Sony warehouses arond the world.
kia said Sold-through.
None of those numbers are sold-through to customers.

Regardless, Sony stated 10 million "shipped" months ago, it's not beyond belief that they've shipped that number to retailers.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Mook1e said:
Regardless, Sony stated 10 million "shipped" months ago, it's not beyond belief that they've shipped that number to retailers.
The 10 million PSP's shipped number is as of October 21st, three weeks after the other shipped number.

ziran

ioi said:
Just to give a bit of a heads up for the next couple of weeks, the following two websites are pretty good with their predictions:

http://www.kyoto.zaq.ne.jp/dkbkq103/yso/machi.htm

and

http://www2.realint.com/cgi-bin/tarticles.cgi?ralva+1489

which is a message board where (I think) the table on the other site comes from and basically the site (which is long established although it has recently changed) asks people to predict their top 3 games for the following week and is usually pretty accurate.

This week (ending today the 18th) is pretty easy to forsee I think:

1 Tales of the Abyss 300-350k (I think Jonnyram said somewhere between the last two tales games- Revirth did 385, Lengendia did 240)
2 Mario Kart DS 150-170k
3 Animal Crossing DS 140-160k
4 Final Fantasy IV 120-130k

Its the week ending the 25th I hadn't though ahead much to. This is the biggest week of the year, where sales really peak and Kingdom Hearts is out. People are predicting:

1 Kingdom Hearts 2 650-800k !!!!
2 Animal Crossing 200-250k (sailing past one million in the process)
3 Mario Kart DS 180-200k (around 600k total in 3 weeks)
4 Naruto 3 PS2 170-200k
5 Tamogotchi 120-150k !!!! (around 650k total !!)

DS 450k
PSP 200k

Brain Training 100k
Nintendogs 75k

Now I'd totally forgotten about Kingdom Hearts 2 and it's gonna be huge but I dunno if 750-800k is a bit high- I'd have said 500-550k. I think 200k + for Animal Crossing and close to that for Mario Kart is very possible though and huge jumps for older DS games like Brain Training and Tamogotchi are also possible (could Tamogotchi be another million seller??)

It's gonna be an interesting few weeks.

On a related note, how would people like to do a proper prediction thread every week (or at least interesting weeks like this around xmas) with points and stuff a bit like the NPD one?
thanks for the links.

wow! they are really high predictions.

the japanese market has been pretty slow for the year so it's difficult to remember big sales weeks.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I think Sinobi mentions that the cooking game from Bandai based on that cooking anime sold 50% of its shipment after talking about it.

ioi

Banned
Mook1e said:
kia said Sold-through.
None of those numbers are sold-through to customers.

Perhaps, but they have only sold around 7 million of them so don't get too excited...

P90

ioi said:
Perhaps, but they have only sold around 7 million of them so don't get too excited...

From Sony's perspective and their PR they are sold. Someone other than Sony owns the 3 million PSP's that aren't in consumers' hands. It is all in semantics.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
P90 said:
From Sony's perspective and their PR they are sold. Someone other than Sony owns the 3 million PSP's that aren't in consumers' hands. It is all in semantics.

No they are not. Sony says shipped.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
Train Your Brain DS Nintendo 30 45,000 1,000,000

Going strong in its 30th week.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Originally Posted by mckmas8808:
No they are not. Sony says shipped.

Quote:
Phil Harrison: Well that's factually incorrect. PlayStation Portable has been the fastest-selling machine to ten million units.

No see you gotta understand his point of view. You got it all wrong. See what it is, is this right.

Okay who am I kidding, he lied his ass off. Damnit I didn't know he did it like that. :lol

ioi

Banned
P90 said:

Exactly, but 10 million people do not own PSPs and they won't by the end of 2005 just as someone boldly predicted last year and got shot down in flames for... :lol

Jonnyram

ioi said:
Exactly, but 10 million people do not own PSPs and they won't by the end of 2005 just as someone boldly predicted last year and got shot down in flames for... :lol
Are you Broshnat?

neo2046

Famitsu numbers (Dec 5 ~11)

Code:
1. Mario Kart DS          224411 
2. Rogue Galaxy           213289 
3. Ryu Ga Gotoku          129863 
4. Animal Crossing WW     116965  595259 
5. Momotaro Dentetsu 15    77080 
6. biohazard 4             75158  310075 
7. Tamagotchi DS           72522  521826 
8. Pokemon Dungeon Red     65264  287038 
9. Pokemon Dungeon Blue    60945  295563 
10. Monster Hunter P       53365  171682 

11. Rockman EXE 6          49907  291601 
12. Brian Training DS      43994  872696 
13. Gentle Exercise DS     34364  741883 
14. Mario Party 7          33882  183135 
15. Daredemo Asobi Taiszen 32610  218740 
16. Slime Morimori DQ 2    31979   75974 
17. Nintendogs             30652  837212 
18. Dragon Ball Z DS       30506   72786 
19. Ridge Racer 6          29891 
20. Mushiking DS           29394 

21. Naruto GC 4            27239  137251 
22. Bleach GC              26531 
23. Summon Night CS3       22901 
24. Sengoku Musou PSP      22817 
25. Monster Farm 5         21450 
26. Pokemon Puzzle         15890  155864 
27. Perfect Dark Zero      14897 
28. Namco's Drum game 6    14553 
29  Rachant 4              14324  122451 
30. Donkey Kong 3 GBA      13358   25153

Wow Slime Mori Mori 2 and Dragon Ball both had better legs then I thought they would. Poor Mushiking DS bombed though.

Top 20 = 11 DS games

Top Bottom