• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese software sale 5-12 Dec 2005

neo2046

Yep, fantastic numbers all around- 72k for Tamogotchi??!?
I think the most fantastic is originally Bandai is only planned to sell Tamogotchi DS around 100k copies only

oh yes, I hear a rumor that NDS this week has sold more than last week (more than 300k)

jman2050

neo2046 said:
I think the most fantastic is originally Bandai is only planned to sell Tamogotchi DS around 100k copies only

oh yes, I hear a rumor that NDS this week has sold more than last week (more than 300k)

Good lord...

booyah.

next week should be the abusive boyfriend (DS) calling his girlfriend (PSP) worthless and garbage while kicking her on the floor right after beating the shit out of her. like that awesome ass episode of old school degrassi.

neo2046 said:

Good god! If DS has sold more than 300k it will most likely have a user base of more than 5 million at the end of the year.
Btw. will the week ending the 25th or the week ending January 1st be the biggest of the year?

ziran

Frankfurter said:
Btw. will the week ending the 25th or the week ending January 1st be the biggest of the year?

not sure about 2004, in 2003 it was the week after the 25th:

dec 15-21
1 PS2 Front Mission 4 Square-Enix 118,400 118,400
2 GC Mario Party 5 Nintendo 109,400 296,900
3 PS2 Gran Turismo 4 Prologue SCE 95,300 408,800
4 PS2 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 10 2003 Memorial Konami 79,300 79,300
5 PS2 Biohazard Outbreak Capcom 75,700 302,900
6 GBA Rockman EXE 4 Tournament Blue Moon Capcom 75,040 207,300
7 GC Pokemon Colosseum Nintendo 75,000 313,300
8 PS2 Minna no Golf 4 SCE 72,900 821,100
9 GBA Rockman EXE 4 Tournament Red Sun Capcom 69,200 175,200
10 GC Donkey Konga Nintendo 68,500 111,000

1 PS2 160,100 116,400 2,805,600
2 GBASP 132,400 51,900 2,179,100
3 GC 95,100 53,600 872,700
4 GBA 23,000 9,500 1,151,900
5 XB 2,400 2,600 98,400
6 PS 560 400 63,300
7 SC 280 290 34,500

dec 22-28
1 GC Mario Party 5 Nintendo 143,200 440,100
2 PS2 Full Metal Alchemist Square-Enix 115,700 115,700
3 PS2 Gran Turismo 4 Prologue SCE 110,600 519,400
4 GC Donkey Konga Nintendo 105,200 216,200
5 GC Pokemon Colosseum Pokemon 100,400 413,700
6 GC Mario Kart Double Dash!! Nintendo 87,600 566,600
7 GBA Mario & Luigi RPG Nintendo 75,600 252,400
8 PS2 Taiko no Tatsujin the 3rd Namco 73,400 359,300
9 PS2 Minna no Golf 4 SCE 71,500 892,600
10 GBA Rockman EXE 4 Tournament Red Sun Capcom 70,500 245,800

1 PS2 189,600 160,100 2,995,200
2 GBASP 168,000 132,400 2,347,200
3 GC 154,500 95,100 1,027,200
4 GBA 28,800 23,000 1,180,800
5 XB 3,000 2,400 101,400
6 PS 880 560 64,200
7 SC 510 280 35,000

dec 29-jan 4
1 PS2 Gran Turismo 4 Prologue SCE 133,900 681,900
2 GC Mario Party 5 Nintendo 116,300 556,500
3 GC Mario Kart Double Dash!! Nintendo 109,700 676,400
4 GBA Mario & Luigi RPG Nintendo 99,000 351,400
5 GC Donkey Konga Nintendo 93,800 310,100
6 GC Pokemon Colosseum Pokemon 92,700 506,400
7 PS2 Minna no Golf 4 SCE 79,300 972,000
8 GC Naruto: Fighting Ninja Wars 2 Tomy 71,700 293,000
9 GBA Rockman EXE 4 Tournament Blue Moon Capcom 69,400 346,300
10 PS2 Taiko no Tatsujin the 3rd Namco 68,100 427,500

1 PS2 244,800 189,600 244,800
2 GBASP 242,800 168,000 242,800
3 GC 164,500 154,500 164,500
4 GBA 33,700 28,800 33,700
5 XB 4,300 3,000 4,300
6 PS 1,400 880 1,400
7 SC 660 510 660

ioi

Banned
ziran said:
not sure about 2004, in 2003 it was the week after the 25th:

dec 15-21

dec 22-28

dec 29-jan 4

It all depends when the dates fall. In 2003, the week 22-28th would only have been about 4-5 days of sales since shops etc would presumably have been closed on the 25th, 26th.

It's difficult one to judge, last year is the best indication and it was the first of the "big three" weeks that was the largest, ending the 26th Dec.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
DS should then have more than twice the PSP userbase in Japan, sometimes in the 10 coming days o_O

littlewig

Banned
dec 15-21
GC 95,100

dec 22-28
GC 154,500

dec 29-jan 4
GC 164,500

Let's see if PSP can match Gamecube's performance during their second holiday season. :lol

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
ioi said:
you can just see GAF exploding if it does !!

I don't know about that, people are already predicting like insane numbers like 500,000 already, so nothing would really be too shocking at this point. Myself, I'm goign conservative with something like 350K.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
moku said:
When the hell are the new numbers going to be up?

I needs me some chart-crack.
Take a look at the original post for when you should expect the SW numbers to be posted and when it was edited for when the HW numbers should be posted.

Merlin

Banned
ziran said:
yeah, i'm not sure why the ds isn't selling well in NA...

i mean it's doing okay, but when compared to europe and japan it's relatively low. maybe it's because the gba is still doing amazing numbers in NA and that's eating into the ds sales? once ds hits $99 there could be a swap over and an increase in units sold and i'm sure pokemon diamond/pearl and new smb will help.

it's odd though.

Yeah, I think GBA has a lot to do with it. Here in the UK GBA is totally dead now.

Absolutley insane, and there really hasnt been a new release for it thats big like MK or animal crossing.. not until the 29thish? when M&L:piT and Brain Training 2 right?

Dizzam.

Jonnyram said:
shinobi hasn't but another site that follows 2ch retailers has posted that all retailers are basically saying the DS sold more this week than last week and stocks are getting dangerously short in a lot of places.

http://gehamaga.blog12.fc2.com/blog-entry-94.html

I woudnt be surprised.

600,000 units in 2 weeks in Japan alone is insane. MS and Sony should take note on how to manufacture products. Im sure everybody rememebrs last years PS2 shortage, and the mysterious 360?

Jonnyram

CVXFREAK said:
Is this some sort of record for a system in Japan in two weeks?
Depends what the real PS2 launch numbers were. We've heard the official line a thousand times (680,000 across two days - Mar 4 and 5), but I've never seen an external agency's numbers. Also GBA sold over a million in Dec. 2002, so it could be close between that and the DS.

CVXFREAK said:
Is this some sort of record for a system in Japan in two weeks?
Beats me. However, I can say that the DS's best two consecutive weeks were its first two: a combined 667,775. If it's to beat that with this week's and next's numbers, next week must be at least 368,448.

AniHawk

That... but.. Zuh?

600k in TWO WEEKS?

TWO WEEKS?

IN JAPAN!?

We really need to find Prelaunch DS threads. I'm sure even I've said my fair share of priceless gems.

cvxfreak

On this note, I think the DS will outsell the N64 by sometime in January. Huzzah.

And in case anyone was wondering, the GBA hit a million last week. GBASP + GBm + GBA

Yes, the GBA actually pushed it over.

mj1108

AniHawk said:
That... but.. Zuh?

600k in TWO WEEKS?

TWO WEEKS?

IN JAPAN!?

We really need to find Prelaunch DS threads. I'm sure even I've said my fair share of priceless gems.

Why not find Prelaunch PSP threads too?

cvxfreak

Where's that sonycowboy one where he said something along the lines of "Was Broshnat the only one who seriously thought the DS would prevail over the PSP" or something like that? :lol No offense to him, but he got owned on that front.

Hero

Ah, Ani, you once doubted the power of the puppies. :p

But seriously, that's freaking amazing. 2/3 of a million units in two weeks, Christ.

AniHawk

Hero said:
Ah, Ani, you once doubted the power of the puppies. :p

Yeah. I can't believe that EVERYWHERE it launched is when the tide turned. WTF. DOUBLEYU TEE EFF.

At least I was right about Animal Crossing.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
sohka88 said:
I think the PSP will sell more than the DS.... by a lot. Once the PSP is out on all territories the DS will suffer greatly.

sonycowboy said:
:lol

It's like putting Claudia Shiffer next to Kirstie Alley. She might have been decent in her time (especially in Star Trek 2 ;), but now ...
:lol :lol

AniHawk

sonycowboy said:
I'm just saying that Nbots who think the DS is going to win because Sony can't ship enough are going to be in a world of pain next year. :D

smiles and cries said:
In March you will have GB NEXT talk, Xbox 2 talk not sure if portables will be the Big THING.

mashoutposse said:
You should be happy that you're getting $300-400 for $199, and also asking yourself why your company of choice doesn't seem to ever be willing to extend a similar offer to you.

zerodoppler said:
FF3DS is just a quick cash-in for SE, just like GTA Advance was for Rockstar. They get some free money that can be used to develop new entries in the series for Playstaion consoles and Nintendo probably thinks that they will get something out of the deal too. Too bad :p

Doc Holliday said:
I dont see 8-12 year olds with psp or DS imo. The GBA sp will dominate for a long time, with the DS coming in second. Those UMD's and that nice screen will not last for long in the hands of a child. Only the hardcore will buy the PSP, I know i am

Galian Beast said:
I don't have anything to say about GTA Advance, but FFIII is a simple port, where as FFVII Crisis Core is a completely new game... I don't really see how it fits.

jarrod said:
Man, this is getting obnoxious... bottom line, both PSP and DS are going to do fine. Both will be outselling supply for months, both are getting (and will continue to get) huge software support from everybody and both will help grow the handheld market radically. Both machines just have so many advantages, they're appealing to consumers.. I'm constantly amazed at how each "camp" can constantly downplay the other side as if it's nothing. People are going to be in for a rude awakening when both are still around doing great business in 3 years.

Hmm. Now which one actually happened.

Hero

Some of my favorite quotes from that thread:

sonycowboy said:
Ok. In the next 2 years, which system do you believe will recieve the majority of SE's attention / new announcements?

mashoutposse said:
Put the two side by side. I don't think that it's any stretch to predict that PSP will sell more (much more?) than DS.

thorns said:
The March US release will be huge (if it releases at $200). I predict a forum meltdown. Depending on how sony handles the marketing / hype / production etc, they could sell 1 million units in 1 day IMHO. And I'm saying this as an xbot. I mean people are already paying $600+ for the unit. Once it gets some mass media visibility , things will get crazy.

Elios83 said:
It will be worthless. The price difference is minimum and PSP will make the DS look retarded in the eyes of customers and sellers. It won't get any spin aside from die-hard Nintendo fanboys. I think PSP will just crush the DS by this time next year. And just wait until more games like Winning Eleven, Tekken, Gran Turismo, Madden etc. will be announced with multiplayer support via wi-fi. Moreover, Nintendo's image has been pretty much tarnished in the eyes of tech geeks. They can only release decent hardware 18 months or more than Sony to be competitive. Sony is pretty much slapping them in the face as far as perception goes, and this will help them greatly in the future. PlayStation 3 included.

Kon Tiki said:
This board is just not interested in handhelds.

Ah, memories.

Edit:

This is just for you, Anihawk. :p

Hero said:
For a system that's generationally inferior and 'gimmicky' the fact that the DS is still ahead is pretty amusing.

Both systems are selling fine.

At the end of the month Nintendo will launch in colors (good ones to boot) and Nintendogs, which is the Pokemon equivalent for girls and dog lovers.

Not to mention the inevitable Shonen Jump Super Stars and Pokemon Pearl/Diamond.

What does PSP have on the horizon? Bleach PSP? GTA?

AniHawk said:
Based on what? Jeez.

The PSP hardware, for one.

Hero said:
Based on the fact that Japanese consumers love 'cute' games? Based on the fact that they're selling three different SKUs with a Pokemon-esque trading system?

Is there any doubt in your mind that this game is going to sell anything less than decent? Or would you prefer getting owned in another software estimate?

I'm not talking about US, as its going to sell regardless. Early adopters and tech savy geeks. I just don't see any concrete upcoming PSP games whereas NDS has multiple things on the way.

AniHawk said:
Actually, I'd prefer not to look foolish making wild predictions of a game that has yet to prove itself based on the past, virtually unrelated success of another game.

Mario Kart 64 was a huge success... that means F-Zero X will be a huge success too!

Ani, don't ever change.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
mashoutposse said:
It's a good thing for everyone.

Me (a gamer), because I get something worth X amount of dollars for X/2. Reason #1.

Me, because the better hardware will make the 5-7 year cycle that much more bearable.

The industry, because exciting hardware breeds interest in the platform, and its games by extension.

The industry, because they can develop better games and possibly solve the low tie ratio issue in the handheld market.

Sony, because the only way to surpass and then become the market leader in the long run is to simply develop an overwhelmingly superior product to the point where the two are almost not comparable.

Sony, because the seed laid in the minds of gamers with that immensely superior hardware back in 2004 will keep the system selling years down the road, when the hardware is finally profitable.

It's all good, baby.

Pimpwerx said:
This thread is worthless really, since it will all come down to waiting and seeing. But that said, Nintendo fans have become the new Sega fans. Living in a permanent state of denial about the impending doom facing their preferred company. Well, just think, in a couple years, you'll be able to find all the GB/DS software you want at great prices, as new releases go straight to the bargain bin, DC stylee. :lol Just need a touch more of that Sega-esque desperation. PEACE.

lollerpies.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Idiot Member said:
Keith I really don't see the NDS selling that well beyond this high holiday shopping season.

I think the early adopters and present buying parents will be the ones to buy the DS in masses due to shortages from other systems, but when it comes to the mainstream audience they are going to feel uneasy and unhappy at both the quick release of the DS after the GBA SP and the lack of quality software for the system. With the PSP launching within 3 months I think they'll take out their frustration by buying a different product. Especially one that isn't so far off in price. The PSP may very well be released at 149.99 in north america equally the DS.

:D

Striek

Guess you guys can have fun looking back now, but I see jarrod had to go basically alone. Most of you (or me) weren't registered then, but where was the rest of the brigade? Ashamedly hiding and agreeing with the popular sentiment?

I think you guys should really let the people who actually posted gloat, it just makes you look sad.

Ps; Great DS sales again this week. Whodathunkit?

Hero

Hero said:
Are we getting August NPD next week, Sonycowboy? Thought it was like the third week in the next month that we usually get it.

Not saying Nintendogs is going to steamroll the PSP for the next few years, but I think the Nintendog push, along with the DS games this holiday season, are going to swing the pendulum back in Nintendo's favor. The wild card, of course, is GTA PSP. Have there been screenshots or anything released for this yet?

:D

Johnny Nighttrain will be allowed to gloat as well:

phantomile co. said:
look up every single last post i made about Nintendogs back then.

this one shouldn't have come as a suprise, anyone with a good head on their shoulders kept talking about how big this one was going to be.

call it a hunch though, but come march 05, i think they'll be more copies of Animal Crossing out there.

Seems like that's going to be spot on.

cvxfreak

kpop100 said:
The funny thing is there are some people as yourself that actually believe in a year's time from now (I give until E3), that there wont be 10 Squeenix games announced for the PSP. :lol

I count two.

CrimsonSkies said:
It's fairly obvious that the PSP will beat the DS. The question is can it beat the GBA. Probably not, but the foundation will be made for the sequel to take over the market.

O RLY?

Idiot Member said:
Keith I really don't see the NDS selling that well beyond this high holiday shopping season.

Owned by 600K Japanese folks!

Idiot Member said:
The PSP may very well be released at 149.99 in north america equally the DS.

:lol :lol :lol

Idiot Member said:
And a battle of hardware and brands sony does not lose out.

iPod >>>>>>> PSP/any other portable Sony device. Wow.

jarrod said:
It's all conjecture at this point, but both Square and Nintendo officials have strongly hinted that Square Enix will be a driving force in the future DS online solution. Maybe Sony phasing out the PS2 HDD left a bad taste in their mouth? Maybe we'll see an XBL deal too (shades of EA)? Who knows?

Hey, this was right on target for the last part.

God that was great. jarrod hasn't lost his touch at all! :D

cvxfreak

Striek said:
Guess you guys can have fun looking back now, but I see jarrod had to go basically alone. Most of you (or me) weren't registered then, but where was the rest of the brigade? Ashamedly hiding and agreeing with the popular sentiment?

I think you guys should really let the people who actually posted gloat, it just makes you look sad.

Ps; Great DS sales again this week. Whodathunkit?

Me, jonnyram and AniHawk were sick of it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before jarrod ever got into it. I have no will to ever conduct debates with Idiot Member again. He's wrong, always has been, always will be. :D

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
CVXFREAK said:
Me, jonnyram and AniHawk were sick of it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before jarrod ever got into it. I have no will to ever conduct debates with Idiot Member again. He's wrong, always has been, always will be. :D

Well, apparantly that guy is banned, anyway so you don't have to worry. :D

cvxfreak

Oblivion said:
Well, apparantly that guy is banned, anyway so you don't have to worry. :D

He actually came back last summer under a new name, Orion-something. I predicted it being Galian Beast, and then Dragona banned him. :lol

Top Bottom