• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese TV: 50,000 PS3 units at launch.

Sho Nuff

Banned
On the morning news show, they announced that Sony only shipped half the units. I don't know if that was half of 100,000 or 80,000. They were interviewing people and one guy said "Sony should have told people that they only had 40,000 or 50,000 units earlier than this morning. That is lame."

So all y'all with PS3s...you're doubly lucky now!

1207umbrella.jpg

Mii

Banned
Oooh that Sony, they truly love us! They're just testing our love before they give us such awesome loving!

Elios83

They are keeping the other half of the shipment for next week :lol :lol :lol

Maybe they're going to announce something tomorrow,who knows :D

Oh....my....freakin....gawd. Hell, if that means more units for NA then it's all good :) , but still if this is true they aren't shooting themselves in the foot, they're shooting themselves in the mouth.

Dahbomb

clearacell said:
Oh....my....freakin....gawd. Hell, if that means more units for NA then it's all good :) , but still if this is true they aren't shooting themselves in the foot, they're shooting themselves in the mouth.
It's more like they are saving those 50K for next week or another day for Japan. It says nothing about those units disappearing or cut back or shipped some place else, it says clearly that "Sony shipped half units". They are still there but Sony has yet to ship them.

But yea, with these limited supplies Sony is shooting themselves in the mouth. With like half of Japan lined up and ready to buy a PS3, and only like 1% of them get a PS3... that is NOT going to be a good overall impression. More incentive for them to buy a Wii, which is going to be more in supply.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Why does everyone think those 50k are going to America? It's called supply control, kids.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Maybe they are keeping the other half for all the defective returns before Xmas. :lol

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
TheTrin said:
Why does everyone think those 50k are going to America? It's called supply control, kids.
supply control? When you're having trouble manufacturing sufficient amounts of supply? :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
GaimeGuy said:
supply control? When you're having trouble manufacturing sufficient amounts of supply? :lol

Hey, I'm not talking about that. I'm just saying it's silly to think those units are goin to the US.

vireland

Dont Sony usually have this tactic of resupplying stores in the afternoon? They did it with PSP and PS2 I believe.

PS2 for sure. We were there at the Japanese launch trying to score some. The place we planned to go in Akihabara had a ridiculous line in the morning. Half of our group elected to wait in the line. Me and another guy decided just to do the Akihabara shopping thing instead. Later in the afternoon after getting all the other stuff we wanted, I happened to see a dude from one of the 3F shops step out with a PS2 box and a portable PA. I didn't have to wait to hear a word out of his mouth. I grabbed the other guy I was with and jammed up to 3F. We were like 3rd in line, got our PS2s and were out of there in about 5 minutes. The other people in our party that were still waiting since that morning were a little peeved, but they got their PS2s anyway. :)

Vireland, you are lucky you was in Japan. In america, someone might have capped your knee as you went around the corner pulling off a stunt like that. :lol

Maybe they try to say: "F' you hardcore gamers, we'll release rest of units for normal people who have no time nor will to stand in line for 24 hours" .

LOL, just noticed that it comes from some random dude on the street :lol .

Sho Nuff

Banned
border said:
So the source for this news is "Guy on the street in Japan"?

It was on the morning news. They said it, and one of the commentators talked about how it was a bad move on Sony's part. You can believe me or not, I don't really give a shit.

bud

Sho Nuff said:
It was on the morning news. They said it, and one of the commentators talked about how it was a bad move on Sony's part. You can believe me or not, I don't really give a shit.

cnn said they shipped 85k units...IT MUST BE TRUE CAUSE CNN SAID IT

kojacker

I loved reading about the launch, but I hated reading about those who have gotten multiple consoles, "media" who got a free one as well as picking up their preorder, I read one comment about a guy who bought TEN, and apparently even the first guy to buy one is a suspected Chinese scalper. Makes me feel frustrated for the guys that tried their best but couldn't get their hands on one.

I hope I'll have a fair chance to get my hands on a EU launch unit.

rs7k

That's why selling a PS3 preorder on eBay is a bad idea. The manager at EB told me I'm guaranteed one, but you can't trust anyone's word really. That's why there's a "no unit guaranteed on launch day" disclaimer on the receipt.

Think about the people who sold preorders on eBay for thousands of dollars and may not have anything to ship on the 17th. :lol :lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
50k units for Japan - is anyone asking how this affects US supply (apart from the professors above who think this means MORE for the US)?

Oops, typed 40

Top Bottom