• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Weekly Sales: Week 26, 2012 (Jun 25 - Jul 01)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well, it's first day. Considering the type of game, it's not so impossible for it selling more than 50% of its sellthrough at the end of the week. If it were the full first week sellthrough, sure. But since it isn't... Still, great ST for EOIV and that game I don't know, Tosouthing XD

Dalthien

Actually, I think it would be an interesting experiment to see how much the numbers would differ if people would send their estimations to Road via PMs.

That would definitely be a lot more interesting - and would make for a far more "true" predictions league. Just depends on whether Road would want to deal with all the PMs every month or not though.

With the current situation of both the American market and the situation of the 3DS in the US I wouldn't be surprised if KH3D would actually sell less than BbS...

It should definitely outsell BbS LTD in the US. KH games in the US typically have LONG legs and keep selling for a long time after release as long as they are on a viable system (which the PSP wasn't by the time BbS released). Particularly with the NSMB2 and 3DSXL coming this summer (not to mention the eventual new gen Pokemon), the 3DS will remain a viable system for a while to come. Even if it performs poorly compared to CoM and 358/2, it should still make it past BbS without much trouble in the long run.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I've always wondered why this is. Is it because of the huge used market or something?

Everything in Japan is expensive. Its just how it is here for the most part. Different culture from the US.

Though if they really want to sell more games, the major companies do need to try and drop the prices down from the 7000 range to at least the 6000. Since really these days people in this country just do not have the same means as they used to when it comes to spending.
Thankfully some companies have figured this out and are slowly starting to change, which is being reflected in the prices of games released.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I don't see how this is a bomb - its the second re-release of the same game, at this point any copy sold is free money for Level 5. Do we have any shipment numbers ?

Mpl90

Oh, yeah, Tousochuu is this thing

61fR2ROrEDL._SL160_.jpg

Based on a TV show.

I don't see how this is a bomb - its the second re-release of the same game, at this point any copy sold is free money for Level 5. Do we have any shipment numbers ?

I this was a release to take advantage of the 3DS audience that didn't buy the game on PSP and possibly transition future titles over to the 3DS for the west. I don't really see a reason for this version to exist outside of a western release. Speaking of which, Level 5 has been setting up their publishing branch for how long now? Whats wrong with this company?

Edit: Comgnet seems to be kind of useless for 2d Mario.

Mpl90

Some Comgnet comparisons.

[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. - 110pt
[Wii] New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 56pt
[3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 59pt

[NDS] Rune Factory III - under 29pt
[NDS] Rune Factory II - 35pt
[3DS] Rune Factory IV - 54pt

[PSP] Hatsune Miku Project Diva 2 - 181pt
[PSP] Hatsune Miku Project Diva Extend - 81pt
[3DS] Hatune Miku Project Mirai - between 22pt and 26pt + other SKU well under 16pt
[PSV] Hatsune Miku Project Diva F - 46pt

Erethian

so rune factory iv will sell about as well as nsmbw. nice.

(what is comgnet)
Japanese retail chain (18 stores are listed on their website) who provide a points ranking for how much a game has been pre-ordered through them.

Indicative of sales level for some games, completely meaningless for others. With some people viewing it as more of the latter than the former, and vice versa.

extralite

Everything in Japan is expensive. Its just how it is here for the most part. Different culture from the US.

Compared to the US one might feel this way but compared to Europe game prices are only little above ours. Depending on the strength of the Euro they tend to be on par or even lower in many cases (okay, not recently).

What is truly expensive are movies and music, easily double to triple prices of what goes here in Germany. And we're still more expensive than the US. Although in Europe consumer tax is too blame for higher prices, which is very low in Japan.

Clothes are relatively cheap in Japan, compared to other goods.

Takao

Banned
A Level-5 game bombing? Well I never!

LBX: Explosive Boost deserves to bomba more than that. Like it deserves 10k ltd. Unfortunately that won't happen.

Parakeetman

Clothes are relatively cheap in Japan, compared to other goods.

Wouldnt say clothes is exactly cheap in Japan. Its all in relation to where you shop really. Brand name stuff is anything but cheap. Generics is what one would consider affordable for Japan. Asides from that its quite high if you are one who needs to dress down to fit into the city life and what not.

It should definitely outsell BbS LTD in the US. KH games in the US typically have LONG legs and keep selling for a long time after release as long as they are on a viable system (which the PSP wasn't by the time BbS released). Particularly with the NSMB2 and 3DSXL coming this summer (not to mention the eventual new gen Pokemon), the 3DS will remain a viable system for a while to come. Even if it performs poorly compared to CoM and 358/2, it should still make it past BbS without much trouble in the long run.

Yeah, KH3D should definitely do at least 400k. BbS was affected by piracy, imo. I'm fairly impressed by Re:Coded numbers though.

Well, it seems they had higher expectations; if you sell just 30% of the shipment during the first day, and your title is a kind-of-RPG, there are no chances you will see great numbers for the first week. Then perhaps Level-5 shipped 100k and it sells 50k the first week, which would be astonishing, imo, but still underperformance (not gonna happen). Also: LBX Baku Boost is a budget release.

Oh, yeah, Tousochuu is this thing

61fR2ROrEDL._SL160_.jpg

Based on a TV show.

How will it sell? It seems pretty popular in Japan.

Some Comgnet comparisons.
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. - 110pt
[Wii] New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 56pt
[3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 59pt

[NDS] Rune Factory III - under 29pt
[NDS] Rune Factory II - 35pt
[3DS] Rune Factory IV - 54pt

[PSP] Hatsune Miku Project Diva 2 - 181pt
[PSP] Hatsune Miku Project Diva Extend - 81pt
[3DS] Hatune Miku Project Mirai - between 22pt and 26pt + other SKU well under 16pt
[PSV] Hatsune Miku Project Diva F - 46pt

So: Rune Factory IV has a chance to outsell its predecessors -which won't be difficult-, while Miku for Vita could sell higher than Mirai -as expected- but way lower than Miku on PSP.

As for Mario, it's impossible to say something.

extralite

Wouldnt say clothes is exactly cheap in Japan. Its all in relation to where you shop really. Brand name stuff is anything but cheap. Generics is what one would consider affordable for Japan. Asides from that its quite high if you are one who needs to dress down to fit into the city life and what not.

I'm speaking relatively, both compared to other goods and other countries. Basically games (and electronics mostly) are hardly any more expensive than in Germany. CD/DVD/Blu-ray prices are ridiculous. Food prices seem lowish but the amounts sold are smaller so effectually food is also expensive. Clothes are 'cheap' when you compare them to food and other consumables.

Basically out of all the things you have to buy to sustain yourself, clothes are the ones least likely to rip a hole in your budget. Unless you seek out the expensive stuff or insist to only compare everything to the US, where generally things seem to be less expensive.

Manga are dirt cheap though, being a mass market thing and all. This one actually fits the word cheap without adding relatively.

Datschge

Compared to the US and considering Ive been here for 11 years Id say it is. Not to mention even more so now that you have the exchange rate of 1 USD = 79 JPY.

Exchange rates change all the time though, that's not really how living costs are rated. The USD becoming so cheap didn't increase the living costs of Japaneses.

Parakeetman

Exchange rates change all the time though, that's not really how living costs are rated. The USD becoming so cheap didn't increase the living costs of Japaneses.

Still put into comparison to the US life here is still more expensive if you want to play the game of totally removing the exchange rate with costs of things in general.

Erethian

Yeah, exchange rates aren't how purchasing power is measured. Which is why there are various specific means of measuring purchasing power parity, like the Big Mac Index.

extralite

I think we do agree that Japan is generally an expensive country to be in. It's just that games aren't really the worst offender. For me as a German they don't feel that expensive, even rather cheap at times (but that was due to Euro strength).

mujun

Compared to the US and considering Ive been here for 11 years Id say it is. Not to mention even more so now that you have the exchange rate of 1 USD = 79 JPY.

I've been here 12 years, I win :p

Price of my apartment including renovation (inner city to boot) 250,000 Australian dollars or thereabouts. Price for similar thing in Australia, double that at least.

Price of lunch at high quality restaurant in Japan, 1000-1200 yen. Price in Australia, minimum $25.

Price of a book. 800 yen. Price in Australia $25+

Price of a game in Japan (imported Asian version) 5000 yen (about 60 dollars). Price in Australia, 100 dollars.

Tax in Japan (all taxes) 15% or thereabouts. In Australia at least 33%.

Still don't agree. Maybe the U.S can be cheaper but U.K and Australia are more expensive.

Parakeetman

For once the Colonials win eh?

Yeah my buddy thats down in Sydney tells me of the jacked gaming prices you guys have. That and well basically seeing it when it pops up on the internet. Though on the other hand its interesting at the same time to see sometimes you guys get different LE versions of things. Which happened with AC2 I think it was? Or was it Brotherhood? I think for Europe and such same thing is happening with AC 3. Didnt see any announcement for the US LE yet, but there already is one for the PAL regions announced.

Though for your game price you are going off the "Asian" versions, which isnt the Japanese region version. So that really doesnt count in your list there. Depending on the title can add a + 1-2k difference in yen.

Books the price varies with the size, same goes for the US and Australia.

1000-1200 yen is the general standard for lunch menus within Tokyo, which basically negates you trying to make it sound like its just "high quality" places give a good price.

---

I think we do agree that Japan is generally an expensive country to be in. It's just that games aren't really the worst offender. For me as a German they don't feel that expensive, even rather cheap at times (but that was due to Euro strength).

The thing is game companies / entertainment industry complain about dropping sales, yet they still seem to want to gauge the consumers for everything possible here. (Mostly the larger publishing houses). They are not being exactly proactive in fixing prices to attract new buyers to a series or to match economic conditions. At least its not as bad as the days of cartridge based gaming where certain titles would reach the 10,000 yen range. Id say they need to play the numbers game more in the sense of having more consumers buy their products, instead of trying to sell less but with a higher sale value. Though at the same time to be fair it is nice to see that other companies are experimenting with this type of lower price point, more user attach rate kind of sales plan. Two good examples of something recent would be Fire Emblem on the 3DS and Monster Hunter 3G. (Was surprised to see Capcom do this considering most of their other games are all stupid high in price upon initial release as in the 6000+ range)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Price of my apartment including renovation (inner city to boot) 250,000 Australian dollars or thereabouts. Price for similar thing in Australia, double that at least.

Price of lunch at high quality restaurant in Japan, 1000-1200 yen. Price in Australia, minimum $25.

Price of a game in Japan (imported Asian version) 5000 yen (about 60 dollars). Price in Australia, 100 dollars.

Still don't agree. Maybe the U.S can be cheaper but U.K and Australia are more expensive.

These comparisons don't show the picture if you don't include the average income a person has at each country. If prices are double as high but you earn three times more money it remains a cheaper country.

mujun

These comparisons don't show the picture if you don't include the average income a person has at each country. If prices are double as high but you earn three times more money it remains a cheaper country.

More than half of OZ avg income is 44000 aussie dollars. The exchange rate would knock that down.

iirc avg income in Japan is 3.5 million yen to 4 million. Both around the same amount if my research is correct.

canvee

Yeah Australia also has it bad, considering the fact that their currency has been slightly above the USD for some time. I'm from NZ so I was going to import a game from Australia awhile ago and found that it was actually much cheaper to import from the US :/

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
mujun said:
I don't know what definition of "high quality" is here - but the time I've spent in Japan that was the average-restaurant price.
So if that's the case for Australia... wow, I feel sorry for people there.

so rune factory iv will sell about as well as nsmbw. nice.

(what is comgnet)
You shouldn't interpret it like that; it mostly can be used to compare the same game with it's predecessor.

The same is for example with Amazon ranking; in there casual/mainstream titles don't rank really high compared to more specific genres such as fps; however, if a new casual title ranks in Amazon very high, you can most certainly say it will have very good sales.

Parakeetman

Considering how highly regarded Rune Factory 3 was can quite imagine 4 will do rather well seeing how the style has been kept the same.

Whats sad is the fact that Rune Factory 3 had by far more interesting characters and gameplay than the PS3 Rune Factory Oceans which was a let down considering I was hoping for a more complete experience. Well not totally gameplay to be fair since the dungeons of being 2d vs 3d cant even compare to one another. But the characters which make up the game in general was a total let down. They just did not have the same impact which made the game forgettable for me personally.

Anyways I for one am greatly looking forward to Rune Factory 4 and hope that it does well.

I was surprised when I had found out Project Mirai didnt sell as well as I had expected it would. Figured the whole Nendroid look would have made the game make bank, but apparently not. Played the demo and something just didnt feel right about the gameplay. Perhaps thats why.

I was surprised when I had found out Project Mirai didnt sell as well as I had expected it would. Figured the whole Nendroid look would have made the game make bank, but apparently not. Played the demo and something just didnt feel right about the gameplay. Perhaps thats why.

How did you expect?

Mpl90

About NSMB2's opening, it's going to be lower than the others...due to physical reasons.
NSMB and NSMBWii had four days as first week, while NSMB2 will have only two. And the NSMB games have always been games able to more than double their first day ( around 400k )in the other three days. But, for the same reason, NSMB2 should have a far lower second week drop than the others.

watershed

Banned
NSMB2 is going to be the game that proves consumers are over these tired retreads of 2d mario. Bomba incoming.
I kidd, I kidd

Bruno MB

I never get tired of watching the sales of both New Super Mario Bros. titles.

New Super Mario Bros. sold over 100,000 units for 13 straight weeks.

Code:
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |
|----|---------|---------|
|  1 |  865,024|  865,024|  
|  2 |  315,197|1,180,221|   
|  3 |  242,932|1,423,153|  
|  4 |  204,007|1,627,160|  
|  5 |  169,852|1,797,012|   
|  6 |  153,047|1,950,009|   
|  7 |  132,375|2,082,434|   
|  8 |  120,220|2,202,654|  
|  9 |  146,837|2,349,491|   
| 10 |  114,471|2,463,962|   
| 11 |  103,008|2,566,970|   
| 12 |  119,991|2,686,961|   
| 13 |  115,335|2,802,296|

New Super Mario Bros. Wii wasn't less impressive, 4 consecutive weeks selling over 450,000 units.

Code:
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |
|----|---------|---------|
|  1 |  936,734|  936,734|  
|  2 |  464,824|1,401,558|   
|  3 |  570,512|1,972,070|  
|  4 |  513,080|2,485,150|  
|  5 |  255,494|2,740,644|   
|  6 |  128,503|2,869,147|   
|  7 |  133,606|3,002,753|   
|  8 |  115,704|3,118,457|

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I never get tired of watching the sales of both New Super Mario Bros. titles.

Indeed. I suspect NSMB U is going to be severely underrated by sales age as its Wii counterpart was.

watershed

Banned
Indeed. I suspect NSMB U is going to be severely underrated by sales age as its Wii counterpart was.

NSMBU's numbers won't be as impressive as past NSMB games because its a launch title. Unless the Wii U becomes the fastest selling home console in Japan NSMBU won't reach the same heights but it could continue to chart in the top 10/20 for a very, very long time.

NSMBU's numbers won't be as impressive as past NSMB games because its a launch title. Unless the Wii U becomes the fastest selling home console in Japan NSMBU won't reach the same heights but it could continue to chart in the top 10/20 for a very, very long time.

Quite. It launched over new year and on a system that was already popular.
NSMBU is being used to sell the hardware. It should do very well in the longer run though.

To sell those amounts though it needs hundreds of thousands of WiiU's selling every week - which I don't even think Nintendo could fully supply such demand!

The 3DS one is the real one to look out for. It should I think be able to build on those Japanese DS sales.

EDIT: Also, it'll likely be number 1 outside of launches for quite some time.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Oh absolutely. But I think it will sell very well for a long time and push hardware.

Top Bottom