• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier: GOW Ragnarok Release Date Reveal "cancelled at last minute."

Mr.ODST

so is the TLDR that Sony doesnt like The Snitch leaking stuff to they are purposely moving stuff to try and make them wrong?

Ozzie666

Stop announcing and teasing things too far in advance and then putting crunch time, then removing features, then releasing in a buggy state. Fairly accurate description for the gaming industry.

Gudji

Postponed to 2023. I win the avatar bet thread
Kinda GIF

Other than Pokemon I don't think there's anything big is releasing in November.
Yeah thats what I mean, supposedly Hogwarts Legacy and Avatar are coming this year. Hogwarts Legacy even had a sop dedicated to it. Avatar is rumored to have sony marketing as well:

https://www.thegamer.com/playstation-avatar-frontiers-of-pandora-marketing/

Sony would want to know if these games are hitting this year or not to avoid a marketing snafu. Even if its just a week apart in nov they want their spotlight. Ubi and Wb didnt have shit in June so Sony is playing the waiting game too.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
ix59247c3h461.jpg

Released in 2019.

This is what competence looks like.

Hollywood :messenger_relieved:
Ahhhh..Marvel phase 4.... so many quality and good written movies and tv series in so litte time .... perfect continuity between them and what came before, zero plot holes the size of the Everest and not plagued by wokeness/feminist message ... thank god for disney and marvel and lucas film

S/

Last edited:
So lets figure out why a company would delay the announcement of a games release date.

A) They aren’t sure they’d hit that date

B) Something happened that would've made the announcement of the release not the right time to do it on Thursday.

Those are the only 2 things I can think of that would be the reason. Did anything happen Thursday that would’ve made it a bad time to announce the release date? World events, company issues? Not to public knowledge. And the announcement is for the public.

So I think it’s safe to assume they don’t know if they can hit their internal release date.

Im going with 2023. Santa Monica Studios are perfectionists.

Fredrik

So lets figure out why a company would delay the announcement of a games release date.

A) They aren’t sure they’d hit that date

B) Something happened that would've made the announcement of the release not the right time to do it on Thursday.

Those are the only 2 things I can think of that would be the reason. Did anything happen Thursday that would’ve made it a bad time to announce the release date? World events, company issues? Not to public knowledge. And the announcement is for the public.

So I think it’s safe to assume they don’t know if they can hit their internal release date.

Im going with 2023. Santa Monica Studios are perfectionists.
If they haven’t announced a date for a showcase, can it be delayed?

Cory was having fun with someone on Twitter:

😋
Joking aside I’d say it’s that simple. They’re still working on the game and it’s not ready. I’m sure they have internal targets but they can change and that’s usually a good thing for the game. People just need to chill a play some other games for awhile.

rofif

Banned
If they haven’t announced a date for a showcase, can it be delayed?

Cory was having fun with someone on Twitter:

😋
Joking aside I’d say it’s that simple. They’re still working on the game and it’s not ready. I’m sure they have internal targets but they can change and that’s usually a good thing for the game. People just need to chill a play some other games for awhile.

Even if the game was 95-95% done, they could still show a lot of gameplay if they wanted. It's not like they will show something and it will change a lot.
No. The game is done and will not change.
They are just avoiding showing anything for unknown reasons. I would guess there are some business decisions when it's best to show it to generate more hype.
It's the same reason rockstar is never showing any gameplay before release

Cyborg

People getting worked up about a release date... sometimes I forget how grown-up people can react. It's like you have nothing better to do than play GoW....

KungFucius

King Snowflake
One game makes or breaks your hobbey, wowzer. Maybe seek help or try something new.
Was it one game? Starting the year we thought we'd be getting Starfield, Zelda and GoW as major 1st party releases. Now only GoW has a chance. Of course people are going to be annoyed.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
They’re probably crunching like cray cray. Santa Monica studio turned into a slave camp for a few months.

I voted for 2023 but I hope it drops this year.

An announcement was never officially happening. The problem is people are taking rumors and the things these “insiders” are saying as fact when it’s not.

Even if the game was 95-95% done, they could still show a lot of gameplay if they wanted. It's not like they will show something and it will change a lot.
No. The game is done and will not change.
They are just avoiding showing anything for unknown reasons. I would guess there are some business decisions when it's best to show it to generate more hype.
It's the same reason rockstar is never showing any gameplay before release
My best guess is Sony wants to hold on to this game until more consoles are available. I think I read somewhere that the PS5 got outsold by Xbox in Japan for the first time.

With Horizon FB and GT7 already out this year they probably want to just hold on to this until next year and there might be a internal conflict over that.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Its to difficult to call.

Theres reasons for 22 and 23.

While its been 4yrs since gow1, following up gow1 is a tall order. Also with Xbox having no big exclusive for 22 there is not some big pressure on sony to deliver on 22, but Ragnarok would make a big holiday/xmas title.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
I can’t wait for this game to come out so I can watch the cutscenes, the God of War Ragnarok the movie, on Youtube because I’m on Xbox.

Regardless we all know Elden Ring will win GOTY.

Fredrik

Was it one game? Starting the year we thought we'd be getting Starfield, Zelda and GoW as major 1st party releases. Now only GoW has a chance. Of course people are going to be annoyed.
Starfield delay was the big downer but it’ll be a better game for it so it’s okay. And we got Horizon Forbidden West and Gran Turismo 7, and Elden Ring was better than anyone could’ve imagine, and we’re still just half way through the year with Switch getting some love soon with Xenoblade, PS+ Extra/Premium with a game library just launched too and Gamepass is there as usual. I don’t know, I used to be annoyed but I’ve reached the point where I think the year is already great.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Wow, a possible leaked announcement proves to be possibly canceled but we can't really tell.

You see, this is the bullshit we have to deal with when we don't have E3 around to spoil everything.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Only on NeoGAF do people seriously make bets over the release date of a video game. I'm just sitting here in the 2022 camp eating my popcorn and enjoying the ride. The funniest part is that i don't care about the game nor do i want to play it, it's just a simple observation i made from the time since GOW 2018 and sonys output lmfao.
if it does get delayed though i'm fucked

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I’ve never seen such a focus on if a game was getting delayed lol.
Only on NeoGAF do people seriously make bets over the release date of a video game. I'm just sitting here in the 2022 camp eating my popcorn and enjoying the ride. The funniest part is that i don't care about the game nor do i want to play it, it's just a simple observation i made from the time since GOW 2018 and sonys output lmfao.
if it does get delayed though i'm fucked
Starfield broke some people.

Last edited:
And people say Sony doesn't know what they are doing marketing wise. If they had given us a date a month ago no one would be talking about the game now.

They can just sit still and milk this, lmao
Looks like Sony found out the secret to maximize hype, doing nothing.

If you think about it the most hyped game are always the ones people have little info on for long periods of time.

When crazy fans start to send dick picks to devs you know the hype is getting out of control.

Last edited:
Top Bottom