• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier: A biased journalist who blocks anyone who disagrees with him

Status
Not open for further replies.

TVexperto

he is biased against game companies and that he only cares about his own side. This is evident in his reporting, which is often critical of game companies, and in his behavior on social media, where he frequently blocks anyone who disagrees with him.

Here are a few examples of Schreier's alleged bias:

• In 2017, Schreier wrote a story about the development of "Cyberpunk 2077" which was critical of the game's publisher, CD Projekt Red. Some CD Projekt Red employees accused Schreier of being biased against the company and of creating a negative narrative about the game.
  • In 2020, Schreier wrote a story about the development of "The Last of Us Part II" which was critical of the game's developer, Naughty Dog. Some Naughty Dog employees accused Schreier of being biased against the company and of creating a negative narrative about the game.
  • In 2020, Schreier was criticized for blocking a Twitter user who had criticized his coverage of the "Cyberpunk 2077" controversy. Schreier later apologized for blocking the user, but the incident raised concerns about his willingness to engage in open and honest dialogue with those who disagree with him.
  • In 2017, when Schreier's book "Press Reset" was released, some game developers criticized him for being too negative about the industry. One developer said that Schreier "has a very narrow view of the industry and only focuses on the bad things."

The Journalism Ethics Guide states that journalists should be "objective, fair, and balanced in their reporting." It also states that journalists should "strive to present all sides of a story" and that they should "not allow their personal opinions or beliefs to influence their reporting."

Based on the accusations against him, it appears that Jason Schreier may be violating these journalism ethics guidelines. He is often critical of game companies, he does not always present all sides of a story, and he has been accused of blocking people on social media who disagree with him.

So how exactly did he get hired by Bloomberg?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
theres-no-cure-for-being-a-cunt-got.gif

RagnarokIV

Jason Schreier was having a good day. He had just finished writing a glowing review of the latest indie game, and he was feeling smug. He decided to treat himself to a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant, unaware that his enemy was also there.

Glen Schofield was having a bad day. He had just finished reading a scathing review of his latest game, Dead Space 4, and he was feeling angry. He decided to treat himself to a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant, unaware that his critic was also there.

As fate would have it, the two men ended up sitting next to each other, separated by a thin wall. They did not notice each other until they heard each other’s voices.

“Indie games are the future of gaming. They are innovative, artistic, and meaningful. Mainstream games are boring, repetitive, and shallow. Glen Schofield is a hack. He doesn’t know anything about games. He should quit and leave the industry to the real creators.” Jason said to his date, who nodded politely.

“Mainstream games are the pinnacle of gaming. They are thrilling, immersive, and spectacular. Indie games are pretentious, dull, and cheap. Jason Schreier is a snob. He doesn’t know anything about games. He should quit and leave the journalism to the real professionals.” Glen said to his date, who smiled sweetly.

The two men heard each other’s insults and turned around, furious. They recognized each other instantly and started to argue.

“Hey, you’re Glen Schofield! You’re the worst game developer ever!” Jason shouted.

“Hey, you’re Jason Schreier! You’re the worst game journalist ever!” Glen shouted back.

They got up from their seats and faced each other, ready to fight. The other diners watched in shock as the two men exchanged blows.

Jason tried to punch Glen in the face, but Glen dodged and headbutted him in the nose. Jason staggered and fell to the floor, bleeding profusely.

Glen stood over him and sneered. “Looks like I win, Schreier. You’re no match for me.”

Jason looked up at him and groaned. “You may have won this round, Schofield, but I’ll get you back. I’ll tweet about this.”

Glen laughed and walked away, leaving Jason on the ground. He rejoined his date and resumed his dinner, as if nothing had happened.

eHQIpHnP_400x400.jpg

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Neil Druckmann and Cory Barlog fucking schooled on Twitter when Schreier was mocking a reviewer for saying TLOU2 could be comparable to the likes of Schindler's List for emotional impact in gaming. It was a poorly constructed argument but nothing major when youd take a second to realise what he meant. Jason went on Twitter comparing every mundane thing to Schindler's List. Enter the two boys and bodied that oxygen thief.

Please note Jason did not get a promotional copy and was throwing a strop. The funny thing is Bloomberg wasn't blacklisted and they had a copy but he wanted a free one for not reviewing the game.

FeralEcho

He's a total cunt and probably jerks off in the closet while his neighbour is railing his gf.He has that look.The sad pathetic loser look. Stop giving this guy attention.

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Def. not the kind of person I would hang out with probably, but he has put out some great stuff in the past and I'm willing to call a spade a spade. I just stopped caring or putting any emotional energy into games journalism in any capacity at this point in general. It's all become taboloid-esq clickbait with almost no real substance.

Last edited:

Trunx81

The Journalism Ethics Guide states that journalists should be "objective, fair, and balanced in their reporting." It also states that journalists should "strive to present all sides of a story" and that they should "not allow their personal opinions or beliefs to influence their reporting."
:messenger_tears_of_joy:
Sorry, but when did you read the last non-biased report? Everything is full of personal opinions and/or beliefs. Not only in gaming.

I´m pretty sure Schreier is making a fair amount of money with his attitude of gaming-trumpism.

T4keD0wN

dDpSPz.jpeg

Unethical and arrogant? Definitely, but to be honest i see those 4 examples in particular as an absolute nothingburger.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It's simple really, there is no more need for a video game "journalist" but he doesn't want to get another gig so he creates topics to cover. And just like any other tabloid he has moved toward negative drama to keep his way of life going.

He should just go be a bag boy at a grocery store like all the other old game "journalist" .

Last edited:
The Twitter block argument is so stupid. Who cares if a person doesn't want to talk to someone? Why should anyone be open to all engagement?

Cyberpunk's development was fucked and ND is famous for crunch. These are both bad things. Perhaps he should've sweetened the reporting by mentioning the Snickers in the vending machines down the hall...

Hudo

He is not, by his own admission, a journalist. He's a glorified blogger. Don't put him on the same level as actual journalists, he doesn't deserve it.

BlackTron

I honestly thought OP was a satire piece at first trying to say, under the radar, that he's actually not that bad. With all the bad stuff we can say about this guy, we say: He was critical of Cyberpunk's development and said something. Ok, it's just a fluke, unless this is just a joke SURELY the next point will be different...lol Last of Us 2

hepfom

I honestly thought OP was a satire piece at first trying to say, under the radar, that he's actually not that bad. With all the bad stuff we can say about this guy, we say: He was critical of Cyberpunk's development and said something. Ok, it's just a fluke, unless this is just a joke SURELY the next point will be different...lol Last of Us 2
It was hilarious when Schreier bitch slapped Parris Lilly out of his Cyberpunk gamer chair. OP is on one.

he is biased against game companies and that he only cares about his own side. This is evident in his reporting, which is often critical of game companies, and in his behavior on social media, where he frequently blocks anyone who disagrees with him.

Here are a few examples of Schreier's alleged bias:

• In 2017, Schreier wrote a story about the development of "Cyberpunk 2077" which was critical of the game's publisher, CD Projekt Red. Some CD Projekt Red employees accused Schreier of being biased against the company and of creating a negative narrative about the game.
  • In 2020, Schreier wrote a story about the development of "The Last of Us Part II" which was critical of the game's developer, Naughty Dog. Some Naughty Dog employees accused Schreier of being biased against the company and of creating a negative narrative about the game.
  • In 2020, Schreier was criticized for blocking a Twitter user who had criticized his coverage of the "Cyberpunk 2077" controversy. Schreier later apologized for blocking the user, but the incident raised concerns about his willingness to engage in open and honest dialogue with those who disagree with him.
  • In 2017, when Schreier's book "Press Reset" was released, some game developers criticized him for being too negative about the industry. One developer said that Schreier "has a very narrow view of the industry and only focuses on the bad things."

Based on the accusations against him, it appears that Jason Schreier may be violating these journalism ethics guidelines. He is often critical of game companies, he does not always present all sides of a story, and he has been accused of blocking people on social media who disagree with him.

Honestly this should be a Takashi thread; also works for Bloomberg but is much, MUCH worst than Jason in virtually every way imaginable. With Jason, you can say he might be a bit of a sneak towards certain studios in some of his reporting. Bloomberg Takashi literally has a hateboner for Sony & PlayStation, and manipulates his reporting regarding anything featuring them, into loaded negative biased articles where his dislike is plainly clear.

I'd rather see Takashi get fired from Bloomberg way before Jason TBH.

The Twitter block argument is so stupid. Who cares if a person doesn't want to talk to someone? Why should anyone be open to all engagement?

Cyberpunk's development was fucked and ND is famous for crunch. These are both bad things. Perhaps he should've sweetened the reporting by mentioning the Snickers in the vending machines down the hall...

Not to mention he's also written more than a few very critical pieces on Microsoft studios, especially 343i. So, I don't think he plays favorites.

Takashi, OTOH....

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

Jason Schreier was having a good day. He had just finished writing a glowing review of the latest indie game, and he was feeling smug. He decided to treat himself to a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant, unaware that his enemy was also there.

Glen Schofield was having a bad day. He had just finished reading a scathing review of his latest game, Dead Space 4, and he was feeling angry. He decided to treat himself to a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant, unaware that his critic was also there.

As fate would have it, the two men ended up sitting next to each other, separated by a thin wall. They did not notice each other until they heard each other’s voices.

“Indie games are the future of gaming. They are innovative, artistic, and meaningful. Mainstream games are boring, repetitive, and shallow. Glen Schofield is a hack. He doesn’t know anything about games. He should quit and leave the industry to the real creators.” Jason said to his date, who nodded politely.

“Mainstream games are the pinnacle of gaming. They are thrilling, immersive, and spectacular. Indie games are pretentious, dull, and cheap. Jason Schreier is a snob. He doesn’t know anything about games. He should quit and leave the journalism to the real professionals.” Glen said to his date, who smiled sweetly.

The two men heard each other’s insults and turned around, furious. They recognized each other instantly and started to argue.

“Hey, you’re Glen Schofield! You’re the worst game developer ever!” Jason shouted.

“Hey, you’re Jason Schreier! You’re the worst game journalist ever!” Glen shouted back.

They got up from their seats and faced each other, ready to fight. The other diners watched in shock as the two men exchanged blows.

Jason tried to punch Glen in the face, but Glen dodged and headbutted him in the nose. Jason staggered and fell to the floor, bleeding profusely.

Glen stood over him and sneered. “Looks like I win, Schreier. You’re no match for me.”

Jason looked up at him and groaned. “You may have won this round, Schofield, but I’ll get you back. I’ll tweet about this.”

Glen laughed and walked away, leaving Jason on the ground. He rejoined his date and resumed his dinner, as if nothing had happened.

eHQIpHnP_400x400.jpg

6R3WbWN.jpg

Honestly this should be a Takashi thread; also works for Bloomberg but is much, MUCH worst than Jason in virtually every way imaginable. With Jason, you can say he might be a bit of a sneak towards certain studios in some of his reporting. Bloomberg Takashi literally has a hateboner for Sony & PlayStation, and manipulates his reporting regarding anything featuring them, into loaded negative biased articles where his dislike is plainly clear.

I'd rather see Takashi get fired from Bloomberg way before Jason TBH.

Not to mention he's also written more than a few very critical pieces on Microsoft studios, especially 343i. So, I don't think he plays favorites.

Takashi, OTOH....

Takashi basically makes shit up. You're right. He's MUCH worse. But both are shit and should be ignored.

All it shows is that Bloomberg gaming industry reporting is a joke and does not hold itself to any semblance of ethical journalistic integrity, despite the clout of the platform as a financial news outlet.

I want to read OP's thoughts on Hideki Kamiya.

When he quits being a game director and starts writing for media publications as a journalist, then maybe his Twitter antics would be worthy of discussion. Otherwise, he's a private citizen who is not expected to engage in open and honest discussion around the investigative reporting articles he writes---because he doesn't write any.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
He gets clicks. That's all they need

A lot of other people are with this too. Remember Jim Sterling? He did sarcastic well done reviews back in the 2010s. Nowadays he's just negative about everything, and companies are greedy, capitalism is bad, yada yada yada...

Soodanim

Gold Member
What always gets me about him is that he sounds exactly as annoying as his writing. A constant whine used exclusively for moaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom