• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JAWS on Blu-ray August 14th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quint's scene is indeed more iconic, but my favourite scene in Jaws is between Brody and his son when his son is mimicking him. Absolutely beautiful scene and one that is 100% Berg.

Ridley327

I'm liking what I'm hearing as far as extras are concerned, but have they said anything about including the original mono soundtrack as an option? I have yet to enjoy any of these surround sound "up-mixes" for classic films, and the last DVD had it as an option.

They say that Universal is doing a full restoration on 13 of their classic titles for the anniversary. Anyone know what the others are?

Schindler's List is one of them. There is a full list somewhere.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/steven-spielberg-jaws-blu-ray-restoration-august-310259
The other films included in Universal's 100th Anniversary celebration are All Quiet on the Western Front, The Birds, Buck Privates, Dracula (1931), Dracula Spanish (1931), Frankenstein, Schindler’s List, Out of Africa, Pillow Talk, Bride of Frankenstein, The Sting and To Kill a Mockingbird.

Draconian

Don't know about that, but I certainly can't wait for it.

This also confirms that the films being restored this year are more than likely all getting blu releases this year. That means SCHINDLER!

This. Give us Schindler and I'll be ecstatic. But this isn't a bad one to settle for at all.

One of my favorite movies. One of those that if I happen to stumble across it on tv, I have to watch it all.

For years, my father looked exactly like Richard Dreyfuss in this film. Hell, he still looks more like this than Dreyfuss does. When the movie came out he used to get stopped in the street for autographs.

I always wondered about that cover... is she naked, meaning like, she's supposed to be the girl in the first five minutes of the movie?

Sorry bros, best JAWS scene right here.

PFyyo.jpg

"You're gonna need a bigger boat"

This was one of the first movies I remember watching as a kid. I don't think there's a film in existence that makes me smile more. When I met my first girlfriend she had never seen it and I'll always remember watching it with her that first time. The scene where Hooper goes under Ben Gardener's boat is the greatest thing ever filmed.

Man, I wish I hadn't watched that restoration video, it just makes me want to watch the start, the end, the whole damn thing... right now.

EDIT: Also, I saw BttF and Jurassic Park in the Cinema when they did the limited re-release last year and the year before. I hope they do the same with Jaws.

rogue74

Just for the hell of it, my top 10 Spielberg ranking:

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
2. Jaws
3. E.T.
4. Schindler's List
5. Saving Private Ryan
6. Munich
7. Catch Me If You Can
8. Jurassic Park
9. The Adventures of Tintin
10. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Jaws Blu-ray looks excellent. Can't wait.

Cheebo

Banned
Just for the hell of it, my top 10 Spielberg ranking:

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
2. Jaws
3. E.T.
4. Schindler's List
5. Saving Private Ryan
6. Munich
7. Catch Me If You Can
8. Jurassic Park
9. The Adventures of Tintin
10. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Jaws Blu-ray looks excellent. Can't wait.

Mine:
1. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
3. Jaws
4. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
5. Empire of the Sun
6. A.I.: Artificial Intelligence
7. Schindler's List
8. Duel
9. Munich
10. Catch Me If You Can

In no particular order:

Schindler's List
Empire of the Sun
Munich
Raiders
Saving Private Ryan
E.T
JAWS
Minority Report
A.I
Catch Me If You Can

Speaking of the Berg - because I almost never do, I caught The Twilight Zone movie the other day and could tell right away which was his.

jett

D-Member
My favorite Spielbergo movie far and away is A.I., after that the following movies are next:

Crusade
Raiders
Ryan
Munich
Minority Report
Catch Me If You Can
Jurassic Park
Schindler's List
Empire of The Sun

No order in particular except for the Indies.

"shark comes to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark will go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all the poundin' and the hollerin', they all come in and they... rip you to pieces. "

Cheebo

Banned
Speaking of the Berg - because I almost never do, I caught The Twilight Zone movie the other day and could tell right away which was his.
George Miller did the best one of that 4. Though I love the bookends Landis did with Dan Aykrod and Albert Brooks.

I love all the AI praise in here. It holds a worthy place among Close Encounters and ET as Spielbergs sci-fi masterpieces.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I wonder what Jaws would be rated if it came out today.

What a great movie. I will definitely be buying this. It looks like they're going all out with this release.

Ridley327

Yeah, he really didn't deviate from what you would have expected him to do. Joe Dante was the only one of the directors to really bring their A-game, although George Miller did a fine job with the Nightmare at 20,000 Feet segment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom