• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay Z Becomes The First Rapper Nominated For The Song Writers Hall Of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Jay being the first to make it in would be a fucking disgrace.

Dude's bars have never been considered GOAT level.

Jay's bars are only not considered GOAT level by people who have a cognitive dissonance regarding his artistry as the result of his monetary success and whatever issues they have with his image.
He has GOAT level bars going all the way up to Magna Carta Holy Grail.

Jay's bars are only not considered GOAT level by people who have a cognitive dissonance regarding his artistry as the result of his monetary success and whatever issues they have with his image.

Man you are a Stan.

Matty77

While he wouldn't be my first choice to represent that style of music the fact he is the first rapper to be nominated ever kind of makes me want to see him get in regardless, it's about time.

Saganator

Jay Z is an elite lyricist, there's a reason why artists from Lupe Fiasco to Royce Da 5'9 to Ab-Soul/Kendrick and more study his music.

I'd say Nas > Jay-Z any day when it comes lyrics. I think if Nas became more of a pop star like Jay Z did then maybe he'd be considered instead.

Moonkid

While he wouldn't be my first choice to represent that style of music the fact he is the first rapper to be nominated ever kind of makes me want to see him get in regardless, it's about time.
Pretty much my thoughts, let him break in to let the other MCs in too.

I'd say Nas > Jay-Z any day when it comes lyrics. I think if Nas became more of a pop star like Jay Z did then maybe he'd be considered instead.
Nas tried to break in the pop door, but he just isn't fit for it.
The closest Nas gets to Jay for me is on Untitled, his lyricism is abnormal on that project, uses skills he never used prior or even after on it, makes you understand where the ghostwriting arguments on it came from.

Village

Damn niggas continue to hate on Jay. fallback
When he stops being wack most of the time I'll stop.

The mans strength is having talented friends. And presenting himself through those people more talented than he actually is. He said it himself , "hes not a business man, hes a business man"

When he stops being wack most of the time I'll stop.

The mans strength is having talented friends. And presenting himself through those people more talented than he actually is. He said it himself , "hes not a business man, hes a business man"
Jay's main talent is his lyricism.
Jay wasn't handed anything, it took him 10 years after starting his rap career to actually get his debut out.
People associated with Jay because they saw the talent in him.
Jaz saw his gift, Kane saw his potential, DJ Clark Kent saw his skill, Big L saw how great of a rapper he was, Biggie saw Jay as the first rapper to be able to challenge him, and so on so forth.
No other rapper gets hated on as much for having people support him as Jay.
People like you see everything else surrounding Jay and block out his actual talent.
Also good job on using a clever line from a great song with excellent metaphors, punchlines, and entendres.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Yuck.

Should have been Nicki Minaj

JOnR0R2.gif

Kingdom Come was trash.
"People was poor before the hurricane came
Before the downpour poured, it was like when Mary J. sang
Everyday it rains, so everyday the pain
Went ignored and I'm sure ignorance was to blame
But life is a chain, cause and effected
Niggas off the chain, because they affected
It's a dirty game, it's whatever is effective
From weed to sellin' 'caine, gotta put that in effect, shit
Wouldn't you loot? If you didn't have the loot
Baby needed food and you was stuck on the roof
And helicopters swoop down just to get a scoop
Through his telescopic lens, but he didn't scoop you
And the next five days, no help ensued
They called you a refugee because you seek refuge
And the Commander-in-Chief, just flew by
Didn't stop, I know he had a couple seats
Just rude Jet blue, he's not, jet flew by the spot
What if he ran out of jet fuel and just dropped
Huh, that woulda been somethin' to watch
Helicopters doin' fly-bys to take a couple shots
Couple portraits, then ignored 'em
He’d be just another Bush surrounded by a couple orchids
Poor kids, just cause they was poor kids
Left them on they porches, same old story in New Orleans
Silly rappers, cause we got a couple Porsches
MTV stopped by to film our fortresses
We forget the unfortunate
Sure, I ponied up a mil' but I didn't give my time
So in reality I didn't give a dime
Or a damn, I just put my monies in the hands
Of the same people that left my people stranded
Nothin' but a bandit, left them folks abandoned
Damn, that money we gave was just a band-aid
Can't say we better off than we was before
In synopsis, this is my Minority Report
Can't say we better on than we was before
In synopsis, this is my Minority Report"

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
You've never heard Reasonable Doubt.

It's one of my favorite hip-hop albums of all time, actually.

Jay makes amazing music. Still isn't a GOAT lyricist.

Just so we're on the same page, what do you consider to be some of his absolute best verses.

p.s. - It's straight bullshit to pull out the "people don't acknowledge his lyricism because he's so popular" argument. How do you not realize, that some the rappers others would put in over him were just as popular?

Act like Jay didnt give us top flight lyrics on Reasonable Doubt, Roc Dynasty, Black Album, & American Gangster, brehs.
Anyway at the end of the day, Im not impressed by these institutions "endowing" rappers with their awards. You didnt think shit of rap artists before, but now all of the sudden you wanna be down? Keep yo award. Rap needs its own high brow institution that delegates awards.

Act like Jay didnt give us top flight lyrics on Reasonable Doubt, Roc Dynasty, Black Album, & American Gangster, brehs.
Anyway at the end of the day, Im not impressed by these institutions "endowing" rappers with their awards. You didnt think shit of rap artists before, but now all of the sudden you wanna be down? Keep yo award. Rap needs its own high brow institution that delegates awards.

I don't like it when non-rap institutions give Hip-Hop some props, because I feel its always a backhanded compliment. Besides, Hip Hop is best when loved, analyzed, discussed, and ultimately given value by us, the fans of the genre. We don't need any outsides sources to validate our passion.

Hip Hop

If that's what you think, than you don't know anything about Hip-Hop.

That's fine on your opinion I guess, but the majority of people do consider them "GOAT level", and rightfully so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom