• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay Z Becomes The First Rapper Nominated For The Song Writers Hall Of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ran rp

Tears on the mausoleum floor
Blood stains the coliseum doors
Lies on the lips of a priest
Thanksgiving disguised as a feast
Rollin' in the Rolls-Royce Corniche
Only the doctors got this, I'm hidin' from police
Cocaine seats
All white like I got the whole thing bleached
Drug dealer chic
I'm wonderin' if a thug's prayers reach
Is Pious pious 'cause God loves pious?
Socrates asks, "Whose bias do y'all seek?"
All for Plato, screech
I'm out chere' ballin', I know y'all hear my sneaks
Jesus was a carpenter, Yeezy, laid beats
Hova flow the Holy Ghost, get the hell up out your seats.

Nah b.

giphy.gif

effzee

Why can't people just give him his props? Its music its subjective but no one can argue he isn't an all time great.

Your personal top 5 your favorite of all time is never going to match what others think.

"Is it truth or it's fiction, is it truth or it's fiction?
Is Hova atheist? I never fuck with True Religion
Am I down with the devil cuz my roof come up missin'?
Is that Lucifer juice in that two cup he sippin'?
That's D'usse baby welcome to the dark side
Coulda got blacklist for the crack shit
White Jesus in my crock pot
I mix the shit with some soda
Now I'm black Jesus turn water to wine
And all I had to do was turn the stove up
Beast Coast, winnin' at life, nigga, cheat code
The hatin' is flagrant, hit your free throws
The devil try to hit me with the RICO, them black people
Devil want these niggas hate they own kind
Gotta be Illuminati if a nigga shine
Oh we can't be a nigga if a nigga rich?
Oh we gotta be the devil that's some nigga shit
You seen what I did to the stop and frisk
Brooklyn on the Barney's like we own the bitch
Give the money to the hood, now we all win
Got that Barney's floor lookin' like a VIM
Black hoodie, black skully
Bravado like Mavado, boy I'm that gully
Gettin white money but I'm still black
All these niggas claiming king but I'm still that
King Hova, Mansa Musa
From a lie, the devil is a lie, I'm the truth, yeah"
Whooo the White Jesus term being used in a line to tie back into multiple aspects of the song, Jay's transition, as well as the title, complex shit!
There is more to hip hop than just rhymes and flows...
Yah and they all have it.

Considering that Tupac has a song in the National Recording Registry (a part of the Library of Congress) for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically important, and/or inform or reflect life in the United States" I'd say Pac's lyrical skill speaks for itself.

Pac's skill was song writing and the imagery behind his words. As a rapper, he wasnt a clever lyricist, but as a poet, the man was a giant. I mean, if this award is literally for "song-writing", Pac should be getting it posthumously, cause hes probably GOAT tier as a song writer in the genre. His best work is extremely evocative.

"Is it truth or it's fiction, is it truth or it's fiction?
Is Hova atheist? I never fuck with True Religion
Am I down with the devil cuz my roof come up missin'?
Is that Lucifer juice in that two cup he sippin'?
That's D'usse baby welcome to the dark side
Coulda got blacklist for the crack shit
White Jesus in my crock pot
I mix the shit with some soda
Now I'm black Jesus turn water to wine
And all I had to do was turn the stove up
Beast Coast, winnin' at life, nigga, cheat code
The hatin' is flagrant, hit your free throws
The devil try to hit me with the RICO, them black people
Devil want these niggas hate they own kind
Gotta be Illuminati if a nigga shine
Oh we can't be a nigga if a nigga rich?
Oh we gotta be the devil that's some nigga shit
You seen what I did to the stop and frisk
Brooklyn on the Barney's like we own the bitch
Give the money to the hood, now we all win
Got that Barney's floor lookin' like a VIM
Black hoodie, black skully
Bravado like Mavado, boy I'm that gully
Gettin white money but I'm still black
All these niggas claiming king but I'm still that
King Hova, Mansa Musa
From a lie, the devil is a lie, I'm the truth, yeah"
Whooo the White Jesus term being used in a line to tie back into multiple aspects of the song, Jay's transition, as well as the title, complex shit!

Yah and they all have it.
Yeah that song was his greatest verse in years. Rozay cut out Jay's part in his official video, shit was real suspect.

eloestmn

Nasir Jones said:
How many more of Biggies lines are gonna come out your fat lips, nigga?

Of all the people they could have chosen, they fucking choose the Camel Cigarettes mascot.

Honestly, how he even came out of his crib after Ether is still a mystery to me.

Voice was and still is annoying, rhymes are average at best, and his success only shows a lot of people had bad taste. Had Big or PAc not Died, crack not got a hold of DMX, or if he didnt have great production this fool would still be rocking Hawaiian shirts on a corner in Marcy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLipqNjQr6A

Of all the people they could have chosen, they fucking choose the Camel Cigarettes mascot.

Honestly, how he even came out of his crib after Ether is still a mystery to me.

Voice was and still is annoying, rhymes are average at best, and his success only shows a lot of people had bad taste. Had Big or PAc not Died, crack not got a hold of DMX, or if he didnt have great production this fool would still be rocking Hawaiian shirts on a corner in Marcy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLipqNjQr6A
Haters.
"Inspired by Basquiat, my chariot's on fire
Everybody took shots, hit my body up, I'm tired
Build me up, break me down to build me up again
They like: "Hov, we need you back so we can kill your ass again"
Hov got flow though he's no Big and Pac, but he's close
How I'm 'posed to win, they got me fightin' ghosts
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Sh.., Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, see Malcolm
You see Biggie, see Pac, see success and its outcome
See Jesus, see Judas; see Caesar, see Brutus
See success is like suicide
Suicide, it's a suicide
If you succeed, prepare to be crucified
Media meddles, niggas sue you, you settle
Every step you take, they remind you you ghetto
So it's tough bein' Bobby Brown
To be Bobby then, you gotta be Bobby now
Now the question is, is to have had and lost
Better than not having at all

Everybody wanna be the King then shots ring
You layin' on your balcony with holes in your dream
Or you Malcolm X'd out, get distracted by screams
Everybody get your hand off my jeans
Everybody look at you strange, say you changed
Uhh! Like you work that hard to stay the same
Uhh! Game stays the same, the name changes
So its best for those to not overdose on being famous
Most kings get driven so insane
That they try to hit the same vein that Kurt Cobain did
No dangers, so shameless
Invited to the inner sanctum of your chambers
Low chain 'em as the enemies approach
So raise your draw bridge and drown them in the moat
And the Spirit I'm evoking
**Mumbles** Hold on"

And lol @DMX being near Jay Z.

eloestmn

Haters.
bunch of weak sauce

And lol @DMX being near Jay Z.

I don't know you or how old you are but if you were into hip hop at the time, only a fool wouldn't acknowledge that DMX was running shit before Jay. He ran New York and radio stations all over until his fall. I mean if your just basing your LOL moment on the strength of you being a fan of jay, that's cool everybody's got an opinion. But the truth is the truth.

My opinion is Jay isnt worthy of this award that hes nominated for. Hes weak, B.

I don't know you or how old you are but if you were into hip hop at the time, only a fool wouldn't acknowledge that DMX was running shit before Jay. He ran New York and radio stations all over until his fall. I mean if your just basing your LOL moment on the strength of you being a fan of jay, that's cool everybody's got an opinion. But the truth is the truth.

My opinion is Jay isnt worthy of this award that hes nominated for. Hes weak, B.
I'm talking skill, those two Grammy Family Freestyle verses I posted show more lyrical skill than any of DMX's output.
Also, Jay was running shit around Vol.2, period, alongside DMX.
Actually, each verse I've posted in this thread displays lyrical skill beyond each person you mentioned.

The excess Jay stannery going on in here tho.

Probably think his verse on the "Ha" remix was lyrical artistry.
If Jay's trash he's trash, I think Blueprint 2 is complete trash aside from say Hovi Baby, The Watcher 2, Poppin Tags, and Show You How.
But if you can't read/listen to and analyze each of the verses I've posted in this thread that show Jay's poetic prowess, then it's your loss.

Mr. X

When it comes to mainstream rappers, like in American culture, not rap culture, Jay is the best. We can argue up and down about Pac, Big, Talib, Rakim, Nas, etc. over Jay but some of us should know better why it's Jay over them. Nobody had radio play like Jay on any station, he had mass appeal.

Jay sucks imo. RD and TBA only good works.

When it comes to mainstream rappers, like in American culture, not rap culture, Jay is the best. We can argue up and down about Pac, Big, Talib, Rakim, Nas, etc. over Jay but some of us should know better why it's Jay over them. Nobody had radio play like Jay on any station, he had mass appeal.

How could you like those albums and not at least American Gangster?
Anyways radio play and whatever, who cares, this is about lyricism, Jay's nominated for more than just "mass appeal".

Biggie had a ton of radio play, Jay eclipsed him because biggie died.

Mr. X

How could you like those albums and not at least American Gangster?
Anyways radio play and whatever, who cares, this is about lyricism, Jay's nominated for more than just "mass appeal".
This thread became about lyricidm, the hall of fame is for "song writing".

Jay has over a decade of work getting radio play. Look at the other inductees and you'll realize him getting in makes sense.

eloestmn

I'm talking skill, those two Grammy Family Freestyle verses I posted show more lyrical skill than any of DMX's output.
Also, Jay was running shit around Vol.2, period, alongside DMX.
Actually, each verse I've posted in this thread displays lyrical skill beyond each person you mentioned.

4db037a2_tumblr_md9g54yQc91qfp9jb.gif

Dear fucking God jay over Rakim? You letting the stick sit in the sherm too long.

Nobody had Play like jay? fucking master P ran all hip hop radio in 98, then Cash money, At one time it was Onyx. DMX, The WU as a group, Method MAn by himself, Dre/Snoop, Pac, Big, and even 50/Gunit...all of them had the radio on lock at one time. Talib NEVER had it.

To say nobody had it like Jay is just ludicrous. Cant forget about him either because at one point Luda was on top too.

4db037a2_tumblr_md9g54yQc91qfp9jb.gif

Dear fucking God jay over Rakim? You letting the stick sit in the sherm too long.

Nobody had Play like jay? fucking master P ran all hip hop radio in 98, then Cash money, At one time it was Onyx. DMX, The WU as a group, Method MAn by himself, Dre/Snoop, Pac, Big, and even 50/Gunit...all of them had the radio on lock at one time. Talib NEVER had it.

To say nobody had it like Jay is just ludicrous. Cant forget about him either because at one point Luda was on top too.
Saying Rakim is a better rapper than Jay is nothing more than a legacy pick.
Being the originator of a style doesn't make you the most skilled at it, might as well say Rakim is better than Nas too.
Jay Z is a superior rhymer in every category, but why would I expect someone who thinks "bark bark" DMX is a better writer than Jay to acknowledge that?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Bounceounce you are literally posting some of Jay's WOAT verses in here.

You really wanna dip into the Magna Carta album, to prove his skill? Bruv you are off the reservation butt ass naked.

Being the originator of a style doesn't make you the most skilled at it, might as well say Rakim is better than Nas too.
Jay Z is a superior rhymer in every category, but why would I expect someone who thinks "bark bark" DMX is a better writer than Jay to acknowledge that?

Rakim is no slouch even to this day, let's not get crazy. Follow the Leader and I Ain't No Joke still sounds excellent to this day.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
1. Nas is better.
2. Jay-Z is still a mediocre rapper.
3. This is definitely his strongest card and a well deserved nom, easily one of the best writers in the game. I think plenty are better rappers, but as a writer, there are few.

eloestmn

now youre just tripping. Rakim is a better rapper than Jay, its not a legacy pick. Its my opinion and also widely accepted as fact. Just like its only your opinion about Jay and his god tier verses. Rakim is better than Nas.

and no need to put words into my mouth or into my post to fit your narrative. Thats not a good look at all. NOWHERE did i even hint at DMX being a better writer than Jay, or even say I was a fan. I just said he was running shit before Jay started to. Which was the truth.

The most overrated rapper of all time. Ran to the media to help him when Nas was lighting him up in ways few rappers have been humiliated. I don't get it, but either way congrats to the man.

NandoGip

Hahaha you can tell how long some of these posters have been into hiphop by their opinion on Jay Z. He is objectively one of the greatest rappers of all time. Like this isn't even my opinion, it's literally always been a fact in hip hop.

Bounceounce you are literally posting some of Jay's WOAT verses in here.

You really wanna dip into the Magna Carta album, to prove his skill? Bruv you are off the reservation butt ass naked.
Yes, I do, the only Jay album I consider trash is Blueprint 2, otherwise I consider Kingdom Come and MCHG to be heavily flawed projects with some shining example of excellent lyricism.
Rakim is no slouch even to this day, let's not get crazy. Follow the Leader and I Ain't No Joke still sounds excellent to this day.
I'm not trying to trash Rakim, he's the God MC (along with Jay).
Jay's Blue Magic is a heavy Rakim tribute:
http://genius.com/amp/Jay-z-blue-magic-lyrics
And Rakim has personally blessed Jay.
I'm just saying, Jay along with other artists have taken it beyond where Rakim did.
But it's all because Jay and them are standing on the shoulder of a giant (Rakim).

Ah, I see. I don't think Rakim deserves nothing less than reverence, but he's definitely not the only one to do what he did, and rappers have built on what he did. I mean shit, Earl Sweatshirt is more complex than a lot of rappers these days.

Truth to be told, Hova can rap extremely fast, but Hova's best is when he slows down and writes songs like D'Evils (which has two of the greatest verses in Hip-Hop)

Hahaha you can tell how long some of these posters have been into hiphop by their opinion on Jay Z. He is objectively one of the greatest rappers of all time. Like this isn't even my opinion, it's literally always been a fact in hip hop.
Actually no, Jay hate is a carry on from old listeners of Hip Hop.
Rappers respect his lyrical ability, segments of people try to deny it.
The most overrated rapper of all time. Ran to the media to help him when Nas was lighting him up in ways few rappers have been humiliated. I don't get it, but either way congrats to the man.
Another extraneous circumstance people use to deny his skill.

Man posted MCHG bars!!
Get past the fact that they're Magna Carta bars and read them.
MCHGs problem mostly isn't bars, it's flow, beats, and lack of song density which leads to awkwardness.
Otherwise it has some of Jay's best written material that if he changed some things around other than those lines would be praised to high hell.
1. Nas is better.
2. Jay-Z is still a mediocre rapper.
3. This is definitely his strongest card and a well deserved nom, easily one of the best writers in the game. I think plenty are better rappers, but as a writer, there are few.
Storytelling isn't everything.
now youre just tripping. Rakim is a better rapper than Jay, its not a legacy pick. Its my opinion and also widely accepted as fact. Just like its only your opinion about Jay and his god tier verses. Rakim is better than Nas.

and no need to put words into my mouth or into my post to fit your narrative. Thats not a good look at all. NOWHERE did i even hint at DMX being a better writer than Jay, or even say I was a fan. I just said he was running shit before Jay started to. Which was the truth.
It's widely believed that Jay is better than Rakim, not that I care what is widely believed, but as far as I can tell Jay Z is mostly ranked higher than him.

What people fail to realize is that even if Jay is more consistent album to album, Nas' highs shit on Jay's. And many (include myself) would still argue that Nas has more great albums.

Its really not that hard to see how Nas is a better lyricist. Simply take the best Nas songs and the best Jay songs side by side and its obvious. Nas is a poet, Jay has some clever lyrics over nice beats.

BadAss2961

Eh, they were both running shit... Don't get me wrong, X was at the top in his day, but it's not like Jay wasn't right there at the time. Jay had already made it before X broke out, had his own major successes throughout X's era, then outlasted him.

The guy was just consistent, never lost relevance, never dove off a cliff in momentum like everyone else.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
How the fuck did Jay Z ever become the boring white person's "default" rapper anyway? Was "Big Pimping" not inane enough for the decade I grew up in? It needed to be timeless?

mr2xxx

Banned
http://www.billboard.com/artist/304305/jay-z/chart

Find another rapper with more hits than Jay on billboard or RIAA awards. His lyricism amongst other rappers is just some stuff hip hop heads argue over (it's hot garbage), his results/success as a writer are not up for debate.

Give respect where respect is due.

Eminem, Kanye and Wayne have as many hits and they also have #1 hits according to Billboard but something tells me you wouldn't feel the same if one of those guys won.

What people fail to realize is that even if Jay is more consistent album to album, Nas' highs shit on Jay's. And many (include myself) would still argue that Nas has more great albums.

Its really not that hard to see how Nas is a better lyricist. Simply take the best Nas songs and the best Jay songs side by side and its obvious. Nas is a poet, Jay has some clever lyrics over nice beats.
Because I believe that Jay is skilled in more avenues than Nas.
It's that simple.

BadAss2961

How the fuck did Jay Z ever become the boring white person's "default" rapper anyway? Was "Big Pimping" not inane enough for the decade I grew up in? It needed to be timeless?
Because he's got the perfect balance of being greatly respected in the rap community on top of being the most successful. So it's safe for anyone to rep him.

Jay-z isn't even the best lyricist on his own albums, but whatever it takes to get rap some recognition.
I've never seen a rapper so affected by perception outside of his own work as Jay, but whatever.
"Shall we dance with the devil for a beat
I pray to God I ain't got two left feet
Do the hustle put ki's in the street
Then I'm ballroom dancing
Ke-ke'in in the suite"

NEO0MJ

I didn't know he was that disliked here. Personally I like him more than Nas though if it were up to me I'd nominate Biggie Smalls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom