• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Gerstmann is leaving Giant Bomb

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
i hate you no GIF

LQX

Damn....but not at all shocked or surprised. Jeff, though he has been at GiantBomb the longest felt like the odd man out after the other dudes left.

Also, I just cannot stand the new cast and was hoping he would either start something on his own or link back up with the old crew.

Kacho

How is the GB fanbase taking this news? Those guys are pretty hardcore so I’m sure this is a devastating blow. They lived and breathed GB.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Well damn.

Looks like that Red Ventures buy out was worse than expected. Every original member has left now.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Giantbomb is leaving giantbomb !
I've been out of there for few years. In fact, I joined here because I got banned there (as a subscriber of 10 years) for critiquing some woke bs in the chat. PERMANENTLY. They banned paying customer and fan for saying nothing. Remember when that quinn bitch killed a guy? yeah...
First Ryan died. He was the best. Amazing man! Played amazing with everyone. Especially Jeff and Patrick.
Then Jeff died a bit inside but Dan was great addition.
But abby... Vinny hid in the corner and never returned. Her stupid agenda and stupid friends guest ruined the site.
The west/east split did not help. I've not seen any of covid stuff but I feel it was bad.
So yeah - I would put the end of GB around 2017.

RIP. I loved that site to death until few years after Ryan passed

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Not surprising. I wish Jeff well. I mostly checked out when Dan left even if the best days were long behind them. I fully checked out when Vinny, Brad and Alex left. GiantBomb's hiring trends should be a case study, especially in a personality driven industry. I might not have cared for Patrick or Austin all that much, but they were at least well versed in their discussions. Everyone hired after Dan was a disaster.

SJRB

Gold Member
That's wild. All the best to him, I hope he'll stay in videogames somehow.

He could probably do pretty great soloing on Twitch and whatnot.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Not surprising. I wish Jeff well. I mostly checked out when Dan left even if the best days were long behind them. I fully checked out when Vinny, Brad and Alex left. GiantBomb's hiring trends should be a case study, especially in a personality driven industry. I might not have cared for Patrick or Austin all that much, but they were at least well versed in their discussions. Everyone hired after Dan was a disaster.

Ben Pack was pretty good. When they first started the voicemail dumptruck and it was just Ben and Jeff, those were way better podcasts then what they do now.

Same story as Rockpapershotgun:

1. Site hires woke staff
2. Community warns about unhealthy dynamic
3. Loyal fans are getting banned
4. Woke staff slowly takes over the site
5. Original members leave
6. Community dies

What remains is a husk of its former self, artificially kept on life support to leech the last few clicks.

SpiceRacz

My guess is the new format of GB wasn't producing the results Red Ventures wanted and Jeff was asked to resign or Red Ventures wanted more control.

Another thing to keep in mind - Jeff has mentioned several times in the past that he liked the idea of building another site from the ground up. So, maybe he's got something in the works.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

1. Site hires woke staff
6. Community dies

What remains is a husk of its former self, artificially kept on life support to leech the last few clicks.
If only we had not only modern, but historical patterns and trends to easily recognize the same ole playbook, instead of letting it happen over, and over, and over...

R6Rider

Gold Member

1. Site hires woke staff
6. Community dies

This isn't what happened with GB.

MiguelItUp

Man, I absolutely loved and miss Giant Bomb when it was at its peak. I used to listen to the bombcasts regularly, watch all their content, etc. After Ryan passed, it was still very good for awhile. But then when people started leaving it of course started changing. I was wondering when Jeff was gonna bounce, figured it was only a matter of time. I really hope he's happy where he ends up, I wish that dude the best, truly.

BigBooper

End of an era. Gotta give credit where it's due. What they initially created was best in class. Jeff just wasn't good at managing the other staff or he changed for the worse in some way, possibly with Ryan's death.

Still, it was my primary source of gaming news and discussion for several years.

1. Site hires woke staff
6. Community dies

That seems to be the playbook at IGN, except they seem to be more into temp bans. Any time they do a political article, I get a 1 day to 1 week ban by not going along with the woke viewpoint.

Top Bottom