• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Gerstmann is leaving Giant Bomb

Midn1ght

Been listening on and off since 2012. I love Jeff, he's one of the OG when it comes to game coverage.
Wish him and his family the best. Hope he finds success in his future projects.

Last edited:
This isn't what happened with GB.

ScornfulFantasticEider.webp

TexMex

Jeff has had what has appeared to be borderline contempt for both his audience and the industry for years now. He honestly needs to take a break and either recapture that once infectious love for this hobby, or maybe take up a high paying consulting gig somewhere.

There is clearly something wrong with the powers that be at that site given the absolute mass exodus that has taken place. It is completely unrecognizable at this point, and is the opposite of everything it stood for when it was propped up. It's so odd going to the front page of GB today and a podcast about Machine Gun Kelly or Imagine Dragons being on the front page. It's just weird and sad.

And their statement was awful.

Same story as Rockpapershotgun:

1. Site hires woke staff
2. Community warns about unhealthy dynamic
3. Loyal fans are getting banned
4. Woke staff slowly takes over the site
5. Original members leave
6. Community dies

What remains is a husk of its former self, artificially kept on life support to leech the last few clicks.
This didn't happen at all to GB, in fact all of the founding staff were *looks at paper* woke.

jaysius

Banned
Fuck Giant Bomb, it died with Ryan Davies eons ago.

Follow him on Twtich? He only worked well with Brad and Vinny and Ryan, without being kept in check he's just a jaded fuck, Youtube and Twitch is full of that shit.

The best of Giant Bomb was the E3 they did in the run down places, after they tried to make it a proper show no mics in the green room, and everyone was rehearsed, it was pretty awful, forcing Jeff to appear to be like a Jimmy Kimmel of night time gaming news, but the guy has no charisma, so it was all train wrecks.

Before the Giant Bomb E3 was amazing, hot mics everywhere, truly anything could happen, and everything was fun.

It's just awful now.

It'll probably just dwindle and die, or possibly crash and burn for saying the wrong thing, either way fuck it.

i tried GIF

Last edited:

SSfox

I was about to post the WHO gif meme, until i realize who he was. I actually like this guy and is one of the very ultra few gaming journalist i respect.

Will never forget the first review video i saw and it was T5 one on Gamespot, i was insanely excited about T5 back then and was easily one of the games i've excited for ever, and it was nice to see the guy when talking about the game and was one of the rarest journalist that realize how great Tekken 5 is gonna be.

Last edited:

Otre

Banned
Was only a matter of time. The recent bombast was only listenable when Danny O'Dwyer was on it and that was some time ago. Might as well close the site.

GB was always "woke". Dont know what the hell you NPCs are on about. It was always annoying, and most times justifiable, when politics bled into the content even in the Ryan era.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never checked out GB, but will always remember his Kane and Lynch debacle where Gamespot grilled him for his 6/10 review. I remember GS having giant marketing where you'd check the homepage and they do a huge ad around the border of your browser.

And we all know a 6/10 means a shit game. And it was. I remember playing the 360 demo and it was total junk. I dont remember what happened to the review (if they left it there or adjusted the score), but good on him for giving that game a bad score.

Last edited:

Barakov

End of an era

Edit: article on the site discussing it:

I'll echo the statement : end of an era. I guess it just got to the point for him that it just wasn't worth it anymore. After Ryan's passing it's been slowly going downhill. He was the glue that held everything together. All the people who brought woke shit just made everything worse. With Jeff gone the site is essentially dead. None of the remaining people have even a tenth of the personality of GB in its' prime. A personality driven site with no personalities is a sinking boat.

I hope whatever he does next allows him to be himself and regain some of the passion he once had.

Incredible how this site has died 3 times. First with Ryan actually dying. Second when Dan left and now we have no Gerstmann. What even is the draw of Giant Bomb any more?

There's literally zero strong personalities on the podcast. Jan is incredibly safe and boring, Jason should prioritise his health and never offers much beyond a crumb of fighting game knowledge. Jess is obnoxious and can't help but talk over everyone else and Bakalar would rather be anywhere else talking about pinball or hockey, his two actual passions.

I wonder if Jeff had a falling out with the upper echelons at Red Ventures and didn't like the way the site was pulling, for most of the die-hard fans, he was sort of the reason to stick around and hope some good would come of Brad, Vinny and Alex leaving.

Hope he lands on his feet whatever he does next. Will be a missed voice in the industry, even if the dude seemed pretty burned out these past few years.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I stopped at the 2017 Game of the Year debate. There were a few simpletons arguing for a dream daddy dating simulator for days and claiming it pushed the genre forward. After about 2/3 days Jeff asked for other examples of games they played in that genre and neither could give one other example. Whatever about you liking the game, that's fine but claiming it pushed the genre forward without playing one similar game was the nail on the coffin for me. If I wanted a shill conversation I'd listen to Kinda Shilly

BossLackey

Gold Member
Damn....but not at all shocked or surprised. Jeff, though he has been at GiantBomb the longest felt like the odd man out after the other dudes left.

Also, I just cannot stand the new cast and was hoping he would either start something on his own or link back up with the old crew.
New cast seriously sucks.

Reallink

Ben Pack was pretty good. When they first started the voicemail dumptruck and it was just Ben and Jeff, those were way better podcasts then what they do now.

I'm still not sure if Ben is gay or not. After he referred to his "partner" like 45,000 times on the podcast I was 100% sure he was gay, but I think there was this one time he slipped up and said she or her and I was like waaaaaaat?

Also the fact this was announced by GB the company in the corporate voice, and not a heartfelt farewell message from Jeff himself should tell you all you need to know. Absolutely not an amicable departure.

Last edited:
I'm still not sure if Ben is gay or not. After he referred to his "partner" like 45,000 times on the podcast I was 100% sure he was gay, but I think there was this one time he slipped up and said she or her and I was like waaaaaaat?
If it helps soothe your mind, his "partner" looks like a bloke sooooo

Wow, requiem for a stream. I’d actually love to see GB blossom into something new, but it’s not like their crew is up to the task. I haven’t been following since the Dan days and Jeff has been such a buzzkill in his overall attitude, but this is surely the end for GB.

TheMan

I only really got into giant bomb like 2 or 3 years ago maybe, and then really only the podcast. Still, he was probably my favorite personality left on the cast. I hope he joins nextlander cause that would be dope

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I used to love E3 and the hilarious night time streams. "Media" sites like GB, Gamespot, 1Up, they all used to be fun! But you could chart the decline along with Gerstmann. It stopped being fun and started being soul crushing. I don't know if that just comes with age or if it's something cultural or what.

dtremblay

i kept my gb sub even though i haven't regularly visited in years just to support jeff and co. no jeff tuesday bombcast? weird weird weird

Portugeezer

GB was exciting when they started up, there wasn't a lot of personality based games coverage.

Surprised Jeff lasted this long, doesn't seem like he was enjoying games for years now, or purposefully pretended to not give a shit.

Either way, the vibes were dead.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Ive been watching jeff since 2004 on gamespot on the spot and the hotspot, ill continue watching him on twitch or where ever he goes (fingers crossed he does some thing with brad, vinny, and alex again)

jeff-gerstmann-giant-bomb.gif

Top Bottom