• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Gerstmann is leaving Giant Bomb

h00ters

Loved Jeff in his Gamespot and early GB days. Been kind of sad seeing how disinterested he has seemed in the whole thing for the last 5 or so years.

Drake

The early days of the site were some of the best gaming content I've consumed. Back then they were legit excited for so many different things. Their E3 coverage at the beginning was absolutely amazing too. I remember staying up all night and watching the interviews. Times change though. I haven't really paid attention to that site in like 10 years. Good luck to Jeff. I guess he's pretty jaded now from what I've read. Hopefully he finds something that makes him happy.

Quantum253

Have some great memories of meeting Jeff, Brad, Ryan, Alex, Vinny. Early GiantBomb really felt new and fresh. From the rainy day beef bowl challenge to the amazing quick looks, it was great content. It might be rose tinted glasses, since I haven't been on the site for years, or just getting older and more cynical. I hope Jeff lands in a good spot. He was the face of that site for a long time.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Early GiantBomb changed the way almost every other site conducted reviews and discussed games. That was their gift to the world. After about 2010, 99% of the other gaming podcasts and websites emulated them - or at least tried to.

They lost their core dynamics and what gave them their unique character once Vinny and Brad left. There was no way Jeff could return the site and podcast to what they once were in their absence. I'll be watching to see what he does next, but GiantBomb arose nearly fifteen years ago - it's time for the new generation to come up with something fresh and new. It feels like no one under the age of 35-or-so are doing anything approaching how different GiantBomb was compared to everything else when it launched. Everyone is merely a boring-ass Twitch streamer now or running D&D sessions.

Have some great memories of meeting Jeff, Brad, Ryan, Alex, Vinny. Early GiantBomb really felt new and fresh. From the rainy day beef bowl challenge to the amazing quick looks, it was great content. It might be rose tinted glasses, since I haven't been on the site for years, or just getting older and more cynical. I hope Jeff lands in a good spot. He was the face of that site for a long time.
Yep. Those were the days.

recursive

2022215-4dn4ihh.jpg
Is that PedoEra? Fuck those douchebags.

I started watching them after having split into bomb/beast cast, enjoying the latter one more with Vinny as the lead. When he and Alex left it was pretty much done in for me. Jeff could be fascinating to watch with great insight but then he could just as easily come across as overly combatitive, egotistical, and just flat out less interested in modern gaming vs the retro stuff he seemed to want to talk more of. Now? Things have been drifting more and more towards the Jan and Jess show which, can be fine balanced with the right people, it's just not for me anymore unless you really enjoy indies and pokemon.

Of the rest of the crew, Ben was the only one who really push hard back against Jeff and had some of the better thoughts on gaming and industy as a whole.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Man, I remember in early GB days at Whiskey he lost a bet and did a shot of some god awful alcohol. His reaction was priceless.

Best of luck to him; hope he finds that spark again if he stays in the game industry. The joy was definitely gone for a while for him.

bender

What time is it?
Ben Pack was pretty good. When they first started the voicemail dumptruck and it was just Ben and Jeff, those were way better podcasts then what they do now.

Ben isn't my cup of tea and is only tolerable when compared to a lot of the other disasters that were brought on microphone.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Had to look that up and now sorry I did...
I remember just watching it in disbelief. And the way that almost all of them went along with it as though this was completely fine and rational floored me. Nier Automata is a masterpiece that will be talked about for decades, and they preferred a fucking dime a dozen VN, but THIS one is special because it's really gay? Fuck off.

bender

What time is it?
GB died with Taswell (RIP) I didn't realize that Ryan was 80% of the reason I liked GB until he died

Sadly, a lot of truth to this. I just don't think anyone ever recovered from his sudden passing and I'd never blame anyone for the site never regaining its' footing.

agreed way to high

I don't really care for Death Stranding but it is easy to appreciate. The online component is the most novel thing since Demon's Souls.

Last edited:

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
I started watching GB for the Persona 4 Endurance Run. I had never seen anything like it before. From there they branched out into many types of videos and content. Even after Ryan's passing they were able to make some good stuff, though it happened infrequently. The content kept changing over time until it was nothing like before, and a lot was locked behind premium membership. That's when I stopped watching.

Still, Jeff can be proud of what he achieved with Giant Bomb. Thousands of hours of great content that will (hopefully) never disappear. I hope he finds something else to do.

I don't think the site itself can be salvaged now that literally everyone's gone. It was a walking corpse before, but this is the final nail in the coffin.

Jaybe

Wonder if he’ll interview Phil Spencer like he usually does during E3. Those were good interviews and Phil seems to like him. Hopefully Jeff is connected enough to get a sweet gig.

Xyrmellon

It would be funny if the new hires they announced were Brad, Vinny, Alex, Dan, Patrick, Danny Odwyer, Mike Mahardy, Jeff Grubb and Mary Kish.

No Austin though.

Ailike

Is that PedoEra? Fuck those douchebags.
You tried to be cool with your "Hey, is that the thing we all hate because we're a cool exclusive club? I'm cool too, guys!", but not only is it about a game that predates that site, you'd recognize the actual site if you stepped outside the bubble to try so hard to fit into. Awesome edge there, champ.

On topic, you can hate what GB has become, but anyone that tries to besmirch the original pedigree is simply trying to be 2kool4skool.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
GB died with Taswell (RIP) I didn't realize that Ryan was 80% of the reason I liked GB until he died

Ya Ryan was a huge loss but they managed to strike gold with Dan, it really was an incredible pick up just when they needed it, if Vinny didn't move to Jersey. And it was Jeff, Brad, Vinny and Dan this could have sustained itself easily.

But I remember people were also around this time bubbling that how dare they have 4 dudes they MUST hire a minority and they gave in to the pressure and it just made the content shittier and shittier.

Last edited:
I haven’t been to Giant Bomb since like 2015, but the basement and early whiskey media days with Tested dudes was magic.

The whole thing was built on the dudes that are now gone. Lol at the investment company or whatever than now owns a husk.
I looooved those days. And I really grew attached to Jeff, Vinny, Ryan, and Brad. We got married at the same. Starting having children and became dads when Vinny did. Great times. Lost track of the site after Vinney went east, but they are great people and I wish the best for them. Like the crew at 1UP, I look forward to seeing their posts on Twitter from time to time.

recursive

You tried to be cool with your "Hey, is that the thing we all hate because we're a cool exclusive club? I'm cool too, guys!", but not only is it about a game that predates that site, you'd recognize the actual site if you stepped outside the bubble to try so hard to fit into. Awesome edge there, champ.

On topic, you can hate what GB has become, but anyone that tries to besmirch the original pedigree is simply trying to be 2kool4skool.
You are cool AF. Can I follow you and your gamefaqs friends?

Fatbody

Was only a matter of time. The recent bombast was only listenable when Danny O'Dwyer was on it and that was some time ago. Might as well close the site.

GB was always "woke". Dont know what the hell you NPCs are on about. It was always annoying, and most times justifiable, when politics bled into the content even in the Ryan era.
I wouldn’t dispute that the staff’s personal politics have always leaned left. They were founded in San Francisco, so no surprise there really. But almost none of it bled over into the content in an activistic way until the era of Feminist Frequency, Gamergate, Klepek/Walker, Trump, and MeeToo. It got progressively(so to speak) worse as those years went on and resulted several purges in the community over time. I myself held my nose and stuck it out for a good while because I always valued Jeff’s takes on the industry and his expansive knowledge of gaming history. That and Demo Derby, which was the best content they’ve ever produced.

Also, a little known fact about Jeff is that he has gone on the record as being a gun owner and voting on both sides of the political spectrum in his lifetime. Sometimes I wonder if he went along with at least some of this crap just for survival purposes.

teezzy

Banned
I'm still not sure if Ben is gay or not. After he referred to his "partner" like 45,000 times on the podcast I was 100% sure he was gay, but I think there was this one time he slipped up and said she or her and I was like waaaaaaat?

Also the fact this was announced by GB the company in the corporate voice, and not a heartfelt farewell message from Jeff himself should tell you all you need to know. Absolutely not an amicable departure.

I've seen dudes prettier than his partner

Honestly Jeff's whole attitude towards his own content and fans always struck me as bizarre. They would have good ideas and shows but instead of doubling down on them they would just stop. Almost like he hated giving the fans what they actually wanted. They could have been so much bigger and successful.

Otre

Banned
I wouldn’t dispute that the staff’s personal politics have always leaned left. They were founded in San Francisco, so no surprise there really. But almost none of it bled over into the content in an activistic way until the era of Feminist Frequency, Gamergate, Klepek/Walker, Trump, and MeeToo. It got progressively(so to speak) worse as those years went on and resulted several purges in the community over time. I myself held my nose and stuck it out for a good while because I always valued Jeff’s takes on the industry and his expansive knowledge of gaming history. That and Demo Derby, which was the best content they’ve ever produced.

Also, a little known fact about Jeff is that he has gone on the record as being a gun owner and voting on both sides of the political spectrum in his lifetime. Sometimes I wonder if he went along with at least some of this crap just for survival purposes.

From the outside, Jeff seems like the type of guy that respects most ideologies. Dont think "he went along with it", he just supported his staff. I agree that it turned activistic since the Klepek era. It was inevitable that politics would bleed into the site with all the horrendous shit going around. One day they mustve had the conversation about being more than a mere videogame website and advocate for the better treatment of other people. Especially in their industry. Was it good content? Personally, I didint like it but I understood why they at least had to acknowledge. Silence is contributing to a problem. Did it go too sjw? Sometimes it felt like a Chapo NPC talking on a mic. At least it made them feel better at the cost of a lot of followers and thats a giantbomb trait for better, and now that the site is possibly dead, for worse.

I really thought the site had been revived with Dan Ryckert. No matter if you liked his shtick or not, he brought ideas and a dumbassery that the site needed. Then he left, and then Nextlander. That was for sure a death sentence. Hell, i even thought with Danny O'Dwyer the site could be revived again. I dont know what happened to that dude. I just hope Jeff sold that Giantbomb brand for a pretty penny.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I'm still not sure if Ben is gay or not. After he referred to his "partner" like 45,000 times on the podcast I was 100% sure he was gay, but I think there was this one time he slipped up and said she or her and I was like waaaaaaat?

Also the fact this was announced by GB the company in the corporate voice, and not a heartfelt farewell message from Jeff himself should tell you all you need to know. Absolutely not an amicable departure.
He said he’d be talking about it tomorrow, I’m guessing he’ll be on the podcast one last time. Or if not, you may be right.

Strider311

I haven’t been to Giant Bomb since like 2015, but the basement and early whiskey media days with Tested dudes was magic.

The whole thing was built on the dudes that are now gone. Lol at the investment company or whatever than now owns a husk.
Back then it was amazing. Old Whiskey Media was great. After Ryan died it slowly went down until eventually it went off a cliff.

Not surprised at all, there used to be a thread on these forums that predicted this outcome years ago.

As for all those people who used GB as a friendship simulator maybe they can replace that hole in their lives by having a circlejerk in an appreciation thread sometime.

Top Bottom