• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Gerstmann is leaving Giant Bomb

Midn1ght

They did? Wtf
To be fair, a few members did a complete 360 about the game iirc.

I remember Dan calling the game "garbage" at the time even though he's a huge Kojima fan.
He gave it a second chance and call it a "masterpiece" now.
Dan gonna be Dan. 🤷‍♂️

MadPanda

Banned
I never followed neither giant bomb nor Jeff, but I have enjoyed his E3 interviews with Phil Spencer and I still miss them a lot. They were really enjoyable. I hope we get it again in the future.

SJRB

Gold Member

why even tweet this lmao

iu

Same energy.

Jorav

Gold Member
Only hung around for Jeff and their archived content. Nothing recently is any good for me other than Arcade Pit. I hope he starts something on its own. I'd watch it and contribute.

Last edited:
I can already see this happening: in some random showcase some random JRPG gets announced, all of EZA are dancing on the tables and in the corner Jeff is just shaking his head.
Shaking his head but with a smile on his face, as he witnesses Dan join in, Brad and Drew going "what!?" and Vinny having a hearty laugh from the side. Also Dan, Bosman, and Huber would have 100% been making A+ quality creative content together for years.

I unsubbed from the GB podcast recently - maybe subconsiously I knew it was heading downhill. Just didn't seem interesting to me anymore. Now Jeff needs to join Nextlander but, well, egos. Never really got on with Jeff's take on gaming and the loyal fanbase who hang on his every word as gospel.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
There goes the one single reason to listen to GB, I guess.

Just put it out of its misery.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
szpR4dM.png

I don't care what they are going to try to sell me whenever the countdown timer expires on their countdown. GiantBomb is Jeff and Ryan. With Ryan's passing and now Jeff's departure I have zero interest in the site. The fact that his departure notice came on the last day, is telling.

I won't be able to watch Jeff's stream today due to work meetings, but I will try to follow any news shared here. I wish the guy nothing but the best for all the years of entertainment he's given me.

szpR4dM.png

I don't care what they are going to try to sell me whenever the countdown timer expires on their countdown. GiantBomb is Jeff and Ryan. With Ryan's passing and now Jeff's departure I have zero interest in the site. The fact that his departure notice came on the last day, is telling.

I won't be able to watch Jeff's stream today due to work meetings, but I will try to follow any news shared here. I wish the guy nothing but the best for all the years of entertainment he's given me.
Even more galling is the fact Jeff wasn't even allowed to bow out gracefully. No words from him, a single paragraph about his co-creation of the site and what he did for gaming coverage. The fact the "Giant Bomb Staff" references "we" when talking about the basement days is laughable.

Giant Bomb literally isn't Giant Bomb with at least Jeff in the mix. Now none of the original crew have anything to do with it I have a hard time seeing how the site will stay afloat.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
From Jeff's Twitch chat yesterday. Sounds like he's going live in 3.5-4.5 hours.
unknown.png

Even more galling is the fact Jeff wasn't even allowed to bow out gracefully. No words from him, a single paragraph about his co-creation of the site and what he did for gaming coverage. The fact the "Giant Bomb Staff" references "we" when talking about the basement days is laughable.

Giant Bomb literally isn't Giant Bomb with at least Jeff in the mix. Now none of the original crew have anything to do with it I have a hard time seeing how the site will stay afloat.
Honestly, I was bummed yesterday after reading the news. After waking up and thinking on it, I'm more annoyed by the whole thing. Unimpressed that his coworkers feel that statement was appropriate.

I will probably binge watch some old GB content this weekend. I've seen some links passing around where old stuff is archived. The site started dying when they split into 2 coasts. They were never really able to get back to the glory days after that. Ben & Abby were the nail in the coffin for me when it became clear that the site's sense of humor (or really lack thereof) was shifting to the zoomer crowd.

Last edited:

Banned

the fact that he is the heart and soul of the company is why he went out with very few words and very with zero buffer time between announcement and actually departure.

I think they hope quickly ripping off the bandaid is a better way to do it due to a shorter news cycle and less talk about it online

Last edited:

Shmunter

Breaking: Jeff Gurtsmann joining Sacred Symbols alongside Colin Moriarty…

Read more here….lol, nah punked.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Because as usual, the dumbshits on the twitter will have already started blaming the new hires on the older ones leaving.

Same shit happened when Abby joined, when Austin joined etc.
Seems clear to me it is more driven by Red Ventures than anything. If someone is the public face of this, to me be's Bakalar as he is apparently running the ship.

Honestly, I was bummed yesterday after reading the news. After waking up and thinking on it, I'm more annoyed by the whole thing. Unimpressed that his coworkers feel that statement was appropriate.

I will probably binge watch some old GB content this weekend. I've seen some links passing around where old stuff is archived. The site started dying when they split into 2 coasts. They were never really able to get back to the glory days after that. Ben & Abby were the nail in the coffin for me when it became clear that the site's sense of humor (or really lack thereof) was shifting to the zoomer crowd.

Whilst I liked the dumptruck, what Abby and Ben bought to the site won't ever be quoted amongst the sheer volume of great moments GB had before they both arrived. I agree with the coast split being a nail in the coffin. The site thrived when it was literally just Jeff, Ryan, Vinny and Brad chatting shit about games in a basement. That fledgling spirit and "us against the world" attitude really helped them lean into a more creative, fun and interesting premise. I think GB had a lot to do with the rise of streaming platforms like Twitch as dryer, more faceless content from places like IGN felt very corporate and formal.

Pioneers, really. At least for how content and coverage in gaming was completely shifted. It was likely always going the way it has, but GB certainly helped it thrive.

the fact that he is the heart and soul of the company is why he went out with very few words and very with zero buffer time between announcement and actually departure.

I think they hope quickly ripping off the bandaid is a better way to do it due to a shorter news cycle and less talk about it online

I think some shit went down with Red Ventures. It is the only way any of this makes sense. Nobody is crying out for a Giant Bomb without any of the OG crew. Jan can't carry it as pleasant as he is. He is just a bit milquetoast. Jason is too sick, Jess is new and I don't know much about her other than she talks over everyone and Jeff B is likely not going to stick around too much longer.

It was clear the site needed a shake up, but you don't get rid of the one personality people stuck around unless there was a clear disagreement in direction or focus.

Because as usual, the dumbshits on the twitter will have already started blaming the new hires on the older ones leaving.

Same shit happened when Abby joined, when Austin joined etc.
Yeah, it'd be hard to place any blame on the newer hires. I doubt any of them would want Jeff to have been cast out of his creation. I just don't think they have the personalities to further continue Giant Bomb. It's clear from comments on the site that a lot of folks also don't see GB as GB without at least Gerstmann being present, no fault of Jan, Jess, Jason or Jeff B.

I checked out of the bombcast a while ago because there felt like there was a lot of dead weight on there. At least two of them barely said anything. I don't even know their names.

AJUMP23

Seems clear to me it is more driven by Red Ventures than anything. If someone is the public face of this, to me be's Bakalar as he is apparently running the ship.

Bakalar is the manager. so I assume Jeff wanted more than the management was willing to give.

As for GB being done for me, Abby killed it, Ben hammered the coffin shut.

marjo

Jeff's salary was probably significantly higher than the other hosts. If they were in some financial difficulties, it isn't too hard to see why they'd elect to get rid of him. Still, the lack of a proper 'goodbye' makes me think it wasn't handled particularly well.

SCB3

Whilst I liked the dumptruck, what Abby and Ben bought to the site won't ever be quoted amongst the sheer volume of great moments GB had before they both arrived. I agree with the coast split being a nail in the coffin. The site thrived when it was literally just Jeff, Ryan, Vinny and Brad chatting shit about games in a basement. That fledgling spirit and "us against the world" attitude really helped them lean into a more creative, fun and interesting premise. I think GB had a lot to do with the rise of streaming platforms like Twitch as dryer, more faceless content from places like IGN felt very corporate and formal.

Pioneers, really. At least for how content and coverage in gaming was completely shifted. It was likely always going the way it has, but GB certainly helped it thrive.

I think some shit went down with Red Ventures. It is the only way any of this makes sense. Nobody is crying out for a Giant Bomb without any of the OG crew. Jan can't carry it as pleasant as he is. He is just a bit milquetoast. Jason is too sick, Jess is new and I don't know much about her other than she talks over everyone and Jeff B is likely not going to stick around too much longer.

It was clear the site needed a shake up, but you don't get rid of the one personality people stuck around unless there was a clear disagreement in direction or focus.
To be fair, Ben tried new stuff that didn't land and Abby had the Scary stuff and 13 Deadly sims which was pretty entertaining, so there were some good moments there in the first year or so

The biggest issue at that point was the Abby wasn't as much as a gamer nor hired to be one at first and Ben had to handle the loss of one of the most popular members in Drew leaving

Like I said earlier, GB was slowly dying when they split the teams into East and West and barely had any crossovers

Wooxsvan

What does it take to impress Gerstmann? I have never seen him overly excited for a game ever.
He did seem to get more cynical as the years passed. Im not sure which podcast it was but I speicfically remember him shortly after the PS3 reveal regarding price feeling like a punch in the stomach when he experienced that $599. I say that was the point i noticed his general love for games diminish.

Last edited:

Xdrive05

Wow. It finally happened. Old GB was lightning in a bottle. Upstart energy. Whiskey Media offices. Dave Snider. Mail bag. Actual EFFORT put into their productions. Fun and hijinks. Breastmilk improv. Cocaine Mountain. E3 Air B&Bs. Ryan married. Ryan gone. Gamergate. Dan renaissance. Metal Gear Scanlon. Houses and babies. Giant Bail. Gerstmann Bail.

Reposting my shout outs from the previous GB exodus thread when Brad, Vinnie and Alex swam for their lives:

Shout outs to:
  • Jeff for getting fired for his principles. You did a whole thing. You took big risks at the right time and it worked. Your shit seems burned out these days, but you’re also the only dude to hold my attention for hours at a time using a Mason jar.
  • Ryan for the boundless fun, being the heart & soul of GB, and TANG! Thank you for giving your life for justice.
  • Vinnie for the classy video work, the fun stories about your life and family, and for your quirky gaming tastes and OCD tendencies, to which I’m sure many of us related.
  • Brad for being the middling knowledge PC/tech enthusiast. At least you tried, and I always got the sense that you were genuine about that stuff.
  • Alex for… doing that one funny video of a shitty truck racing game. That was your one lane that worked. I hope you are less miserable wherever you go next.
  • Dan for bringing Giant Bomb back to life after Ryan. You did a lot to make it fun again.
  • Drew for being a value adding intern, really establishing yourself in the group. And that boss ass gif.
  • And to all the third-fiddle crew, you nebbish Jesse Eisenberg and Janeane Garofalo clones who hate videogames, and yet got hired there for your stunning personalities and mailing list memberships, well, congrats on the paychecks I guess. You filled a lot of air with painful mediocrity, which is a solid con.

Last edited:
To be fair, Ben tried new stuff that didn't land and Abby had the Scary stuff and 13 Deadly sims which was pretty entertaining, so there were some good moments there in the first year or so

The biggest issue at that point was the Abby wasn't as much as a gamer nor hired to be one at first and Ben had to handle the loss of one of the most popular members in Drew leaving

Like I said earlier, GB was slowly dying when they split the teams into East and West and barely had any crossovers
I did enjoy their "First E3" stuff too. It was a fun angle to expose. It's a shame they just couldn't hold a candle to the others. Austin and Patrick deserve special mention too. I will actually always thank Patrick for bringing 8-4 Play to GB and to my attention.

SJRB

Gold Member
Their twitch stream just went live.

They're doing a weird schtick [without Jeff so far].

Last edited:
Top Bottom