• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Green plays Resident Evil HD Remaster - Black Dragon vs reREmake

tchocky

Jeff Green ‏@Greenspeak 32s33 seconds ago
Heading off for TOP SECRET HIT DETECTING later tonight, but I still have time to stream Resident Evil! 6:30 pm (90 mins from now!)

Giever

Jeff REALLY needs to just try switching to an easier mode. He's repeatedly said he finds the combat tedious and would love it if he could just explore and solve the puzzles. That's exactly what easier difficulties offer. :(

tchocky

It's a long time since I played Resident Evil but isn't the knife the best weapon against the dogs (if you are out of shotgun ammo).

Glad he's finally going easy mode. I've enjoyed watching him, but it's also frustrating seeing him getting constantly tripped up on things that aren't central to what makes the game interesting.

Shawsie64

Banned
Jeff REALLY needs to just try switching to an easier mode. He's repeatedly said he finds the combat tedious and would love it if he could just explore and solve the puzzles. That's exactly what easier difficulties offer. :(

He did switch to easy though didn't he..?

I'm glad Jeff saw my message in the chat - I couldn't face seeing him run the bloody dog gauntlet over and over again, so advised him to reconsider and check his map. In case he pops his head in here again... Hi Jeff! And you're welcome. ;-)

I think a lot of Jeffs navigation issues would be negated by switching to the type E controls. I am currently playing this again and having a button that just moves you forward independent of direction was a big help. Especially going round corners and when you just need to get out of trouble. Enjoying the stream though.

orborborb

I think a lot of Jeffs navigation issues would be negated by switching to the type E controls. I am currently playing this again and having a button that just moves you forward independent of direction was a big help. Especially going round corners and when you just need to get out of trouble. Enjoying the stream though.

especially considering he's using a 360 controller, I can't imagine using anything else

Ysiadmihi

Banned

This has been suggested tons of times and sadly gets drowned out by people insisting that the controls that mirror the original Playstation version are the best. I can't help but think most of them never used Type E (Type C on GCN) because the remaster is their first experience with REmake.

MrS

Banned
He doesn't help himself and runs in to a lot of problems by forgetting where things are. He needs to draw a map and write down the specific item locations. He's pretty wasteful with that shotgun too.

Aces&Eights

Love Jeff. Watched the couple videos he has and was loving it. I can't wait to see what happens when he finally meets a crimson, lol. The poor guy is having trouble just turning Jill around a corner.

He doesn't help himself and runs in to a lot of problems by forgetting where things are. He needs to draw a map and write down the specific item locations. He's pretty wasteful with that shotgun too.

lol, yeah, I kept yelling at my monitor to SAVE AMMO. The guy is rambo on Mansion F1. I don't think he knows that all the dead bodies he creates are going to come back to haunt him lol

Double Edit: Anyone who hasn't watched his PT walktrough really needs to. Lol, he gets so pissed at how recondite it is and then when shaky lady gets him he loses his shit and it's white socks straight up in the air. I love Jeff.

Seregil

Whatever happens, Jeff should not switch to easy until a week before Bloodborne comes out. If he can't beat normal by then, he can switch to easy and beat the game in two or three streams. The hardest part of the game is the early game when you are weak and do not have powerful weapons and are unsure of where items are. Once he gets more shotgun ammo + more powerful weapons and he can forget about the handgun, most of the combat difficulty will subside.

Jeff's problem is that he doesn't seem to want to load an earlier save and redo sections with knowledge gained from his exploration. He's having trouble killing the dogs, so maybe he should load a game from before he wasted all his shotgun ammo, or when he realizes that the map is telling him there are items in the 'dog gauntlet' hallway, he should load a game before the dogs busted through or
enter that hallway from the front entrance hall side so the dogs don't bust through
and search for items. He also found that he forgot a clip of handgun bullets in the mirror hallway, so he'd have enough ammo to kill the dogs.

Plus, him switching to easy isn't going to help when he shouts several times that he is going to die to dogs when he has two items in his inventory that will heal him to full that he refuses to use and then corners a dog and fires several shots into the air. That will result in his death even on easy.

What I really think Jeff needs to do is offstream, restart on normal again or load an earlier save and get back to where he was, but this time make sure he picks up all the items he's missed. Him taking breaks from streaming isn't helping him remember where all the items are or where he needs to go.

In fact, since he doesn't want to take notes on stream I'll just take the notes for all the things he has found / discovered / should remember. Might not be fully complete.

Dining Room

Emblem above fireplace (don't know what to do with it, probably shouldn't pick it up until then)
Blue gem falls here after breaking the statue on 2f dining room (don't know what to do with this yet)

Kenneth / First Zombie Hallway

Tape on Kenneth's body
Doorway downstairs leads to kitchen locked by sword key
Door behind Kenneth's body leads to crow stairwell

Crow Stairwell

HANDGUN AMMO plus green herbs

2F Mirror Hallway

Green herb on ground
Arrow for crypt puzzle
HANDGUN AMMO in front of mirror at end of hallway
Door straight across from crow stairwell leads to the key trap room

2F Dining Room

Dagger on shelf
Statue with blue gem can be pushed off to dining room below
Locked door leads to 2F Hallway (to dog whistle balcony)

Front Hall

Don't open front door (lets in dogs)
Door behind bottom of stairs locked

Graveyard / Crypt

Not all items recovered
Use arrowhead to unlock crypt and acquire the sword key

1F Map Statue room

Map on top of statue
Dagger in back room awakens zombie when picked up

Dog Gauntlet Hallway

Not all items picked up

1F East Hallway

Locked door leads outside to fertalizer + herbs (lock pick)
Bathroom with zombie in bathtub
Door at end of hall leads to shotgun room

Shotgun Room

Can pick up shotgun and have barry save you from the trap
Dagger
Can't go back in here after trap is sprung

2F Fireplace room

Use lighter and board from 2F Hallway to acquire 2F map

2F Study

Dog Whistle
HANDGUN AMMO
Lighter
Botany journal

2F East Hallway

Wooden board for map
Leads back to main entrance hall (avoids dog gauntlet)
Side doors locked by armor key

Shy

It's cool man. I try to upload as soon as I can. Right after the stream if it is euro-friendly. Part 4b should be uploading now.
if jeff is cool with it, i'd be willing to help you with uploading john. if you ever needed it.
i have a fast connection and a lot of time.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Jeff the self-proclaimed conflict avoider. A few seconds later, fires a shot at the birds and gets attacked. lol

if jeff is cool with it, i'd be willing to help you with uploading john. if you ever needed it.
i have a fast connection and a lot of time.

Nah it's nothing like that. You don't use your connection to upload. You initiate the upload directly from twitch to youtube. I'll send you a PM if I retire. ;)

Giever

Whatever happens, Jeff should not switch to easy until a week before Bloodborne comes out. If he can't beat normal by then, he can switch to easy and beat the game in two or three streams. The hardest part of the game is the early game when you are weak and do not have powerful weapons and are unsure of where items are. Once he gets more shotgun ammo + more powerful weapons and he can forget about the handgun, most of the combat difficulty will subside.

So Jeff shouldn't switch to easy because the combat will eventually get easier anyway? Just seems like a roundabout way of making the segments he dislikes more tolerable when he could just switch to easy to enjoy the exploration and the puzzles.

Plus, although he sometimes says he'll definitely pull through, he mentioned a few times in the recent stream that he might actually switch to a different game. He's obviously not enjoying certain aspects of the game and doesn't want to restart the stream and redo things tediously because he feels a need to entertain the stream and thinks that that would be boring.

It's pretty difficult to convince him otherwise so he'll probably either just continue stubbornly in normal (without restarting completely) and eventually quit even before Bloodborne comes out and switch to some different game, or he'll switch to easy and have fun while most of us have fun watching his progress.

So Jeff shouldn't switch to easy because the combat will eventually get easier anyway? Just seems like a roundabout way of making the segments he dislikes more tolerable when he could just switch to easy to enjoy the exploration and the puzzles.

Plus, although he sometimes says he'll definitely pull through, he mentioned a few times in the recent stream that he might actually switch to a different game. He's obviously not enjoying certain aspects of the game and doesn't want to restart the stream and redo things tediously because he feels a need to entertain the stream and thinks that that would be boring.

It's pretty difficult to convince him otherwise so he'll probably either just continue stubbornly in normal (without restarting completely) and eventually quit even before Bloodborne comes out and switch to some different game, or he'll switch to easy and have fun while most of us have fun watching his progress.

This so much. I'm down for watching him die to challenges, but he's dying to the wrong challenges. As someone who's never played Resident Evil, I'd love to watch him actually play through it, but at the rate he's going he'll give up before he's even a quarter of the way through.

ArjanN

Presumably this ceases to be the case at some point if you take into account continually shooting zombies and leaving the room w/o killing them. :p

Heh, sure,

But with the shotgun/grenade launcher/magnum everything dies in one or two hits anyway, and the autoaim makes it hard to even miss.

Also, Jeff definitely shouldn't have to switch to anything below Normal.

Hell, Dark Souls is about ten times harder than REmake on normal.

This so much. I'm down for watching him die to challenges, but he's dying to the wrong challenges. As someone who's never played Resident Evil, I'd love to watch him actually play through it, but at the rate he's going he'll give up before he's even a quarter of the way through.

I'm down with this.

He's getting frustrated at the dogs, and in Resident Evil, there are far worse things than dogs.

There's no reason he shouldn't be playing on the slightly easier setting, if puzzles and progress are the most interesting aspect for him (I think most would agree the combat isn't the highlight of the game).

Of course I'm enjoying watching the stream, because Jeff is a riot, but it's not about the 'man plays really hard game on hardest available setting'.

So yeah, I think he should start over, on the next lowest setting, and he's still going to face many challenges that he'll have a blast overcoming.
If he has half as much fun as he had just firing the shotgun three or four times, it's well worth it.

tchocky

Since Bloodborne is out in just over a month he should put it down to easy so we at least have a chance of him of getting near the end.

UrbanRats

Yeah i'm in the camp of "restart it on easy/middle difficulty".

The combat in classic REs just isn't compelling in my opinion, and while resource management is a crucial part of these games (though REmake ain't no Dino Crisis) it's not like it's completely absent in the middle difficulty.
At the same time, you're more free to keep track of the atmosphere, enjoy the puzzles, and laugh at the dialog, if you don't have to repeat the same section 5 times.

Jeff himself said he felt creeped out and scared by the game "when he wasn't frustrated by it"; i think that's reason enough to lower the difficulty.
Y'all should accept that not everyone is on the same skill level, and not everyone has to be. :p

Am I wrong to think Jeff should play with direct controls instead of tank controls?

I played all the RE games on PS1 and Silent Hill as well. They were fantastic games and I wouldn't have wanted to play them any other way, but tank controls were a product of the PS1 shipping with a controller that had no analog stick. By the time RE3 was released the dual shock was an entrenched thing, but Capcom felt tied to tank controls, I guess?

I just don't think tank controls can be justified when you have totally competent analog controllers.

I played Silent Hill 2 on the Xbox with direct controls (analog movement) and I don't believe I missed anything.

Jeff never played console games like this, his brain wasn't programmed at an early age to deal with this type of control scheme, where at times rapid reactions are necessary.

Haunted

REmake is roughly an 8-10 hour game the first time through. Looking at the Twitch archives, he's about 8 hours deep into this playthrough.

From the replies and general tone in this thread, I gather he's not near the end of the game yet?

Haunted

Am I wrong to think Jeff should play with direct controls instead of tank controls?

I played all the RE games on PS1 and Silent Hill as well. They were fantastic games and I wouldn't have wanted to play them any other way, but tank controls were a product of the PS1 shipping with a controller that had no analog stick. By the time RE3 was released the dual shock was an entrenched thing, but Capcom felt tied to tank controls, I guess?

I just don't think tank controls can be justified when you have totally competent analog controllers.

I played Silent Hill 2 on the Xbox with direct controls (analog movement) and I don't believe I missed anything.

Jeff never played console games like this, his brain wasn't programmed at an early age to deal with this type of control scheme, where at times rapid reactions are necessary.
Well, tank controls do have the advantage of consistency through different camera angles.

While direct control allows for better manoeuvrability, there's a real argument to be made for a system in which you can simply continue to press in one direction and it makes sense throughout the next three camera angle switches.

In the end, I understand that he has now tried both control schemes and should probably simply go with the one he feels more comfortable with. That's why they put both in there, after all.

Regular controls require you to readjust every time the camera changes perspective; in real time, that's honestly not ideal. If he wasn't so far in I'd say try the type E controls, but I think he should stick with the original controls at this point.
REmake is roughly an 8-10 hour game the first time through. Looking at the Twitch archives, he's about 8 hours deep into this playthrough.

From the replies and general tone in this thread, I gather he's not near the end of the game yet?

He's about an hour and a half in.

ArjanN

He's getting frustrated at the dogs, and in Resident Evil, there are far worse things than dogs.

I think the dogs actually probably are the most dangerous enemy, considering how hard they are to kill with the pistol. Sure, some of the other enemies are technically harder, but by the time you encounter them you're only using the shotgun/grenade launcher/magnum anyway.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I think the dogs actually probably are the most dangerous enemy, considering how hard they are to kill with the pistol. Sure, some of the other enemies are technically harder, but by the time you encounter them you're only using the shotgun/grenade launcher/magnum anyway.

Crimsons could turn out to be worse though. And seeing as Jeff doesn't really care too much about burning the zombies he kills up to this point, he'll start running into trouble very soon while still being low on ammo and health (as seen at the end of the stream).

eot

Banned
Shawn Elliott was on this week's GWJ podcast. Not sure if this is the right place to post it, but this thread is probably the most GFW related one going (not saying much).

Haunted

i mean have you seen his wicked dark souls speedruns? this is absolutely within jeff's standard of progress
I'd argue that REmake is substantially easier than the Souls games. He made it through PT in good time!

Though yeah, I probably should've known after seeing half of the first RE video. >_>

Top Bottom