• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb on Xbox/Bethesda E3 showcase: "Don't expect to see Avowed, Perfect Dark, Hellblade, or IOI"

yurinka

I didn't expect to see them at all. I expect to see:
-Halo Infinite re-reveal gameplay and date
-Horizon 5 gameplay and date
-Starfield cinematic in-engine trailer (2022)
-Elder Ring gameplay
-Battlefield 2042 gameplay
-Several yellow metacritic indies for Gamepass
-Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo, Psyconauts 2 release dates (PS versions not mentioned)
-Flight Sim/AoE4 Xbox port release dates
-DLCs

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I wasnt expecting any of those games being shown except Hellbalde 2.

I'm good with that. Hated Hellblade 1. Use that time for something else.

Batiman

Banned
He has to be wrong on avowed pls.... Just something small would be nice.
Wasn’t expecting Fable but still disappointed it won’t be there. Hell blade not being there is surprising though. Well see.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Full of shit! It’s to keep some sort of mindshare going for them as with all companies! Like announcing a movie that’s 6m to a year out coming day and date to whatever streaming service there is! Movie is made already with just finishing touches!

yet going by your way of thinking then no one should be disappointed when said games don’t launch.

I don’t like announcing games that are so far off when shit gets bad they hope we’d forgot about them!
Nothing in this post makes any sense. Please try again.

daTRUballin

Am I like the only one on this site that has any excitement for Everwild? He didn't list that game. Maybe it has a chance?

All of those games are a little meh anyway.

I doubt Fable will be as good as the first two.
Perfect Dark seems to have gone the SJW way.
Hellblade is a cinematic walking sim
My expectations are really low for Avowed and Dragon whatever

So far only Forza, Flight Simulator and Starfield have my attention.
How has PD gone the SJW way? Because it has a female protagonist? It's had a female protagonist since the year 2000.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
A good show for me would be Halo Infinite, Starfield, FH5, FS2020 console, Hellblade 2 tech/gameplay showcase, another peak at Psychonauts 2, and maybe a tease for Wolfenstein.

I don't expect to see anything from Avowed, Everwild, Fable, or Perfect Dark.

Last edited:

GHG

Im satisfied with Halo Gears and Forza

How To Get Away With Murder No Choice GIF by ABC Network

Spidey Fan

Banned
Those games are far away. Just like how HFW is close to getting delayed, and GOW2 got delayed.

I am more interest in what those hidden games are. He said that four new games will be announced.

Even with his track, i doubt what he said will come true. Microsoft is all in in this E3. Bethesda has other studio who have other projects ready. Crytek new game is a mystery, and if rumors are true, that could be on the new games getting released this year.

Aside of that, Halo, and Forza horizon 5 is enough really. This halo is mainline halo. Its been long since 2015. And forza is nice gorgeous racing game. Playstation are doing GT7 and GOW, long sequal games. So i dont know what the issue with these sequels are.

Not to mention, there is the gunk, ratchet like, but not same graphic show. Scorn, bright memory infinite, The ascent, Stalker 2 (no mention of ps5 development currently, so its exclusive, until its announced. the dev said themselves), Cross fire x, Warhammer 4k tide, and others.

There some hidden weopon games in this e3, we have no clue, but so far this is the list of games that is coming.

F you corona for delaying games (Was waiting gow2).

Papacheeks

Banned
Am I like the only one on this site that has any excitement for Everwild? He didn't list that game. Maybe it has a chance?

How has PD gone the SJW way? Because it has a female protagonist? It's had a female protagonist since the year 2000.

Everwild was restarted as a project recently so it's a no go for that according to grubb. Creative director left not to long ago.

Papacheeks

Banned
Those games are far away. Just like how HFW is close to getting delayed, and GOW2 got delayed.

I am more interest in what those hidden games are. He said that four new games will be announced.

Even with his track, i doubt what he said will come true. Microsoft is all in in this E3. Bethesda has other studio who have other projects ready. Crytek new game is a mystery, and if rumors are true, that could be on the new games getting released this year.

Aside of that, Halo, and Forza horizon 5 is enough really. This halo is mainline halo. Its been long since 2015. And forza is nice gorgeous racing game. Playstation are doing GT7 and GOW, long sequal games. So i dont know what the issue with these sequels are.

Not to mention, there is the gunk, ratchet like, but not same graphic show. Scorn, bright memory infinite, The ascent, Stalker 2 (no mention of ps5 development currently, so its exclusive, until its announced. the dev said themselves), Cross fire x, Warhammer 4k tide, and others.

There some hidden weopon games in this e3, we have no clue, but so far this is the list of games that is coming.

F you corona for delaying games (Was waiting gow2).

If horizon:fw does get delayed it still coming out early 2022. But I think it's going to be December game.

Dont get your hopes up too much concerning hellblade2. I heard it is still made by a team of 30-40 people at the maximum.
i love the first one and I cant wait for the second, but it wont be a god of war killer or something like that

Why would Hellblade 2 be a "God Of War killer"..?
Hellblade is it's own thing, entirely.

And sure there are reportedly 40 devs on Hellblade 2 (that's the last number I heard from Ninja Theory anyway)...but if those 40 are all they they need to execute their vision (considering the spike in resources), what does it matter?
They know exactly what they're doing.

A Plague Tale was made by around 40 people as well..and was one of the best 3rd person games last gen.
And I bet the sequel to that will be excellent as well.

Give any talented dev a second crack at their IP and they will improve on it in every way.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
if they dont show up with those games they might as well skip the show altogether. how do you tease five games last year and not come to the next e3 with them?

i think jeff is wrong here. the teams have had a year to work on demos. if they cant get a vertical slice built in a year then Phil needs to cut these teams and fire them all because they wont be able to produce games in 3-4 years. it will be like halo infinite where every game takes 6 years and still doesnt look impressive.

daTRUballin

Everwild was restarted as a project recently so it's a no go for that according to grubb. Creative director left not to long ago.
Did Grubb actually say the project was restarted or are you assuming that? I don't think we've actually heard anything about the project restarting. Just that it's in development hell and that some people left the team.

Spidey Fan

Banned
If horizon:fw does get delayed it still coming out early 2022. But I think it's going to be December game.
I doubt with how games are getting delayed, especially, since its cross gen. Unless they want to do cdpr move, its best for them to delay it, if its not complete. If its complete, then great.

Papacheeks

Banned
Did Grubb actually say the project was restarted or are you assuming that? I don't think we've actually heard anything about the project restarting. Just that it's in development hell and that some people left the team.

Grub said it on his stream. He said don't expect everwild. It's started over somewhat with new direction.

Spidey Fan

Banned
unless they started the game production, the game would be in limbo. That is the problem with Rare. Trying to make epic games, and wasting Microsoft time. If Microsoft didn't have that of hand approach, i would have wanted some whipping to rare. They are the reason why banjo kazooie and Conker arent made now.

DeaDPo0L84

Xbox E3 Conferences remind me of those seafood restaurants that have "Free Crabs Tomorrow! on the side of their building. Obviously meaning that day will never come around from the time you read it, that is how I feel about Xbox conferences.

Last edited:
Yeah, this seems about right. Nothing new to see here except for Starfield thanks to that acquisition. So it makes you wonder what the fucking has Spencer been doing all these years. It's been like 6 years already and he has nothing to show.
Game pass is now their “killer app”. They won’t be able to compete with what Sony and Nintendo is putting out as far as first party games for a few more years because they took too long to invest in getting these studios.

IMO, Game pass is going to be their main selling point for the E3 show. I can see battlefield 2042 and a lot of big 3rd party games getting announced for Game Pass on day 1.

Papacheeks

Banned
Game pass is now their “killer app”. They won’t be able to compete with what Sony and Nintendo is putting out as far as first party games for a few more years because they took too long to invest in getting these studios.

IMO, Game pass is going to be their main selling point for the E3 show. I can see battlefield 2042 and a lot of big 3rd party games getting announced for Game Pass on day 1.

Even that was already outed. Just early access to BF 2042. YOU DONT get it day one. Just 10 day trial, and Early Access.

Unless that info isn't 100% from bf announcement.

daTRUballin

Grub said it on his stream. He said don't expect everwild. It's started over somewhat with new direction.
Interesting..........Hopefully the art direction stays the same. Really loved the look of it.
unless they started the game production, the game would be in limbo. That is the problem with Rare. Trying to make epic games, and wasting Microsoft time. If Microsoft didn't have that of hand approach, i would have wanted some whipping to rare. They are the reason why banjo kazooie and Conker arent made now.
I mean..........I do agree it sucks that Rare doesn't seem to want to make "classic Rare" style games, but I wouldn't want MS to have more control over them. Last time that happened, we got Kinect Sports over and over again. I like that Rare is finally doing things they want to do and Everwild looked really cool.

Sea of Thieves and Everwild are the type of games they should've been making on the 360. They probably would've had more success then.

Iced Arcade

people expect every game to be shown at 1 show out of how many that take place over a year?

show every game that you have in development that way you have fuck all to show for the next couple dozen conferences. that would be smart marketing lol

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
people expect every game to be shown at 1 show out of how many that take place over a year?

show every game that you have in development that way you have fuck all to show for the next couple dozen conferences. that would be smart marketing lol

Microsoft literally launched a console without new software do you understand how starved they are? The had to buy mlb, and outriders to fill their spring.

Xbox has been starved like crazy for first party software.

So your satisfied with scraps. Rehashes of the most boring games made.

If you look at the top selling games from last year, they could almost all be considered “scraps” or “rehashes of the most boring games.” Almost all of them are remakes or sequels.

New ip are exciting, but sales-wise it’s tough to beat an established ip. People enjoy them and buy them more than they tend to buy new ip.

My predictions:
New Gears 5 content
Halo Infinite
Forza Horizon 5
Starfield
New Doom Eternal Content and Next Gen update
Battlefield 2042
Stalker
Scorn
CrossfireX

Add Psychonauts 2, that Vampire game being developed by Arkane and Project Typhoon. I think the show will be very good, but not an Oh my God! moment. I can not wait to see the titles in motion...

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Microsoft literally launched a console without new software do you understand how starved they are? The had to buy mlb, and outriders to fill their spring.

I'm going to ignore the fact that you didn't read my post as your reply doesn't make sense to what I said. and I'm sure you don't have any receipts to the claim that they bought MLB and outriders either.

do I understand? I have a Series X so I'm pretty sure I know the landscape (again I said they don't need to show every game in 1 show).

gamertag is same as my username, sooo spread em papa tell me yours so we can compare our starvations.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned

That a nice word, except they have gamepass. Gamepass has been their 1st party games. All those free games they play for 15$, compared to the PlayStation side. ratchet, demon soul, and returnal is enough to cover the cost of 1 year gamepass ultimate.

i am having fun with fifa 21. i wouldnt have bothered buying it, since its yearly release. tried out other games. I did test outrider, before dropping it. Monster hunter, Soul caliber 6, vermentide, nb2k21 (dropped it fast), dragon quest x1 s, octopath, mcc, fh4. I would have to buy those games to play it. but i saved money from buying it. and i only spent 80$ to have my subs from march until nov 2021. that is 2 ghost of tsumisha on sale (bought it at 40$ last month). I still have more games to test. I am doing gears 5 ultimate edition now.

Spidey Fan

Banned
I'm going to ignore the fact that you didn't read my post as your reply doesn't make sense to what I said. and I'm sure you don't have any receipts to the claim that they bought MLB and outriders either.

do I understand? I have a Series X so I'm pretty sure I know the landscape (again I said they don't need to show every game in 1 show).

gamertag is same as my username, sooo spread em papa tell me yours so we can compare our starvations.
gamepass ultimate for both pc and and xbox is like 491 for me (GOG estimate). That takes alot of time to clear it. Not to mention those getting added monthly.

Zeroing

Banned
Some of these make sense, but I'm actually surprised that Hellblade 2 wouldn't be shown. I thought they're pretty deep in development on that one.
They still making the clouds…

for those not knowing what I’m joking about, it’s their tweet hyping their in game clouds…

demonstr8

Then why bother announcing them so long back? These games were announced like a year a ago. Infact Hellblade was announced 1.5 years ago almost. Gameplay demo is the least they should show even if it isn't long.
You have most likely a long, long, long wait for every game there apart from Hellblade 2 so don't get your hopes up or you'll be disappointed.

Zeroing

Banned
That a nice word, except they have gamepass. Gamepass has been their 1st party games. All those free games they play for 15$, compared to the PlayStation side. ratchet, demon soul, and returnal is enough to cover the cost of 1 year gamepass ultimate.

i am having fun with fifa 21. i wouldnt have bothered buying it, since its yearly release. tried out other games. I did test outrider, before dropping it. Monster hunter, Soul caliber 6, vermentide, nb2k21 (dropped it fast), dragon quest x1 s, octopath, mcc, fh4. I would have to buy those games to play it. but i saved money from buying it. and i only spent 80$ to have my subs from march until nov 2021. that is 2 ghost of tsumisha on sale (bought it at 40$ last month). I still have more games to test. I am doing gears 5 ultimate edition now.
So here I was reading this thread and I got lost at “gamepass is their 1st party games”

so you’re saying you want good games but cheep, actually what you are saying is, you will take anything as long as it cheap. Ok that is your personal opinion and good for you.

I just get perplexed at the signal this is sending to developers, ok no wonder Ubisoft is moving into free to play games …

I mean, they just started buying studios in 2018, its safe to say they didnt have the budget before, and most of these studios already had contractual obligations they were forced to meet before developing exclusively for xbox
I think they started buying studios in 2017 if I heard correctly.

Nubulax

The temper expectations thing is starting to grate me in all honesty. People have paid a lot of money for these consoles and gamers can’t hope they have impressive content and some knock out surprises at some point?
I honestly dont feel sorry for anyone who bought a Series X/S, you know what you were getting into if you are dissapointed and looking for new or next gen games coming out early. Having said that I hope tommorows show finally succeeds where so many years in a row have failed, in me buying into the Xbox Ecosystem for a game or games I cant go without playing.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Its only a 90,im show, and one of the 'insiders' already said they will only be showing stuff thats coming in the next 12-18 months.
Now its proper Starfield reveal, so thats probably going to get a similar length spent on it that Fallout 4 did (upwards of 30mins). Halo is, well Halo, and its coming this faill, so that will probably get 15mins or so. Flight Sim will probably get 5mins. Forza Horizon 5 will probably get 10mins or so. DOOM dlc, maybe Wolfenstein 3, and 1 or 2 other Bethesda titles will probably get 15-20mins.
And there you go, most of the time has already gone. We will probably get 2 or 3 trailers, maybe a Indie highlight reel, and thats your 90mins.

I swear people are trying to build this up just so they can shoot it down afterwards.

EDIT. I forgot about Battlefield, which will probably get 5-10mins.

Honestly why people are expecting 50 games shown, or every game in development shown, i have no idea. That never happens at E3.

Last edited:

ShaikhCroft

I don’t expect any of them except Hellblade 2. My expectations are:

• Halo Infinite
  • Forza Horizon 5
  • Age of Empires 4
  • Starfield
  • Wolfenstein 3
  • The Outer Worlds 2
  • Grounded
  • State of Decay 3
  • Flight Simulator Xbox
  • A Plague Tale Requiem
  • Battlefield 2042
  • Stalker 2
  • Crossfire X
10 out of 13 of them and I will be very happy!

Top Bottom