• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jennifer Lawrence said "I remember when I was doing “Hunger Games,” nobody had ever put a woman in the lead of an action movie"

Moneal

https://screenrant.com/hunger-games-jennifer-lawrence-no-female-action-leads/

In a candid conversation between Lawrence and Viola Davis from Variety, Lawrence made a shocking statement about female leads in action films. While discussing Viola's work in The Woman King, Lawrence remarked that "nobody had ever put a woman in the lead of an action movie" before The Hunger Games. She elaborates on how people are often defined by gender, pigeonholing them into certain types of roles.
Yep, Underworld, Resident Evil, Alien, Red Sonja, Kill Bill, and so many others never happened.

james cameron aliens movie GIF by Aliens

The long kiss good night springs to mind

But someone has a new movie to push, so soundbites to get conversations started are par for the course.

Nothing to really see here

(Red Sonja was also a good call 👍, although I think the studio insisted on having ‘Conan’ in it. Maybe a lack of faith in a woman leading a film, called red Sonja 🙈)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Not even listing all or the sequels but
Foxy Brown (1974)
Alien (1979)
La Femme Nikita (1990)
Buffy The Vampire Slayer(1992)
G.I. Jane (1992)
The Long Kiss Goodnight(1996)
The Fifth Element (1997)
Run Lola Run(1998)
The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (1999)
Charlie’s Angels (2000)
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001)
Resident Evil (2002)
Kill Bill: Volume 1(2003)
Underworld (2003)
Aeon Flux (2005)
Elektra (2005)
Doomsday (2008)
Salt (2010)
Colombiana (2011)
Sucker Punch (2011)

And Cynthia Rothrock wants a word with you Jennifer...

Edit: correcting autocorrect 🙄

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Chill on what? Stating the facts ? Does me talking crap about a celebrity personally offend you or something? I am just stating how redicilous she is with her dumb statement and why she said what she said.
Sounds like you're the one more personally affected by this.

Last edited:

Drew1440

This is modern Hollywood marketing
1. Have the actor/director say something uninformed
2. People (mainly fans) criticise it
3. React about the backlash and abuse, maybe even cherrypick a few abusive tweets as death threats and claim they are from the alt-right
4. Hope people see the movie?

It's just tiring at this point

Chill on what? Stating the facts ? Does me talking crap about a celebrity personally offend you or something? I am just stating how redicilous she is with her dumb statement and why she said what she said.
Chill Out with the overall negative and aggressive attitude , it's not about J Lawrence , your every other post is you hurling insults/epithets at other members you don't agree with ("cunt", "idiot", "lol serves you well" etc etc).

I mean, maybe you got stuff happening right now in your life my man but, for fuck's sake , just try to take it easy and not be so aggressive and obnoxious towards, well, pretty much everyone, it just gets tiring - not to mention - incredibly obnoxious/irritating after a while.

Take a break and/or a deep breath bro, no need to be angry all the time.
Cheers

RAÏSanÏa

That would imply she had done no research on other women leads for her work.

The IP versus actor debate in modern film gets a fascinating contribution.

Bragr

Banned
Linda Hamilton is pretty much the lead in Terminator 2.

But Aliens is the elephant, its a top tier franchise.

I can forgive comments in an interview, not a big deal. I cant even imagine all the stupid shit I would say, its just annoying thay she paints herself as a feminist icon of sorts for playing in a bunch of shitty movies.

Top Bottom