• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jennifer Lawrence said "I remember when I was doing “Hunger Games,” nobody had ever put a woman in the lead of an action movie"

Jennings

I don't know what sort of alternate universes you chumps are trying to create up in here. The truth is out and and easy enough for anybody to see if they bothered to look. Your complaints are on par with those folks that are trying to pretend Arnold Schwarzeneggar is a real person that has starred in actual movies, like T2 or Predator, but even Google set us right on those scores... same as it does here.

v6ppjIX.jpg

Last edited:

Jaybe

We need to bring back a bit of classical perspective with regard to the weight we give to celebrities’ thoughts on matters

Actors, in Roman society, were considered to hold a lower, dangerous status and were often avoided. Ironically, the emperor Tiberius, definitely not a man known for his chaste nature, once urged those of high society and actors to avoid interacting with one another.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I don't know what sort of alternate universes you chumps are trying to create up in here. The truth is out and and easy enough for anybody to see if they bothered to look. Your complaints are on par with those folks that are trying to pretend Arnold Schwarzeneggar is a real person that has starred in actual movies, like T2 or Predator, but even Google set us right on those scores... same as it does here.

v6ppjIX.jpg
holy shit

Can confirm. Same results here.
I think it's time to shut it down...shut it all down.

Can you report Google for fake news?

Last edited:

Toons

Yikes. Not a good look.

That being said:

This is modern Hollywood marketing
1. Have the actor/director say something uninformed
2. People (mainly fans) criticise it
3. React about the backlash and abuse, maybe even cherrypick a few abusive tweets as death threats and claim they are from the alt-right
4. Hope people see the movie?

It's just tiring at this point

The dude you posted is a literal part of that process, he monetized outrage on a regular basis, and his thumbnail is character from a show but hes trying to insinuate all movies are bad now(lol)

Hes just as bad as Jennifer. I ostracized both of them for this.

v6ppjIX.jpg

Google search is personalized to your history with them. Open up a new browser and you'll get a different result. For reference, I'm getting a movie from 1979 called Alien

SJRB

Gold Member
Hollywood actors are just people, and the average person is pretty fucking dumb. So while that group of people has the pretense of being enlightened individuals, most of them are simply dumb as fuck. Guided through life by assistants and managers.

If any, this feels like a quote from someone who just isn't really all that smart.

nkarafo

She isn't misinformed. She knows very well about all the female action heroes before her. But she chooses to erase them and pretend they don't exist. That's her intended message.

It's a trick, straight from 1984. Hollywood SJWs try to erase the "racist past" all the time, it's not a first. Its similar to the "first black hero" bullshit. Remember, everything before 2014 was racist, sexist, etc, you can't source any good examples from back then.

The point of all this is maybe if they do it often and for long enough, people will eventually believe them. And maybe then we will all forget or ignore all the classic movies from the past, so they can lower the bar for all the trash they produce now.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Not even listing all or the sequels but
Foxy Brown (1974)
Alien (1979)
La Femme Nikita (1990)
Buffy The Vampire Slayer(1992)
G.I. Jane (1992)
The Long Kiss Goodnight(1996)
The Fifth Element (1997)
Run Lola Run(1998)
The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (1999)
Charlie’s Angels (2000)
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001)
Resident Evil (2002)
Kill Bill: Volume 1(2003)
Underworld (2003)
Aeon Flux (2005)
Elektra (2005)
Doomsday (2008)
Salt (2010)
Colombiana (2011)
Sucker Punch (2011)

And Cynthia Rothrock wants a word with you Jennifer...

Edit: correcting autocorrect 🙄
Cynthia rothrock. Man she was fine back in the day

Hasn’t aged too badly either

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

She isn't misinformed. She knows very well about all the female action heroes before her. But she chooses to erase them and pretend they don't exist. That's her intended message.

It's a trick, straight from 1984. Hollywood SJWs try to erase the "racist past" all the time, it's not a first. Its similar to the "first black hero" bullshit. Remember, everything before 2014 was racist, sexist, etc, you can't source any good examples from back then.

The point of all this is maybe if they do it often and for long enough, people will eventually believe them. And maybe then we will all forget or ignore all the classic movies from the past, so they can lower the bar for all the trash they produce now.
This guy knows what's up.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

v6ppjIX.jpg
Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Last edited:

Madflavor

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Until The Hunger Games, I ain't ever seen what a woman looks like. Same goes for Captain Marvel.

xrnzaaas

I miss the 80s and the 90s. You could be a female lead in a movie like Alien, Nikita or Fifth Element and no one took special attention in you & the movie just because of your gender. People loved them because they were great movies with well written characters.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
She is a good actress, but maybe a bit deluded. She got her start on the Bill engvall show. Came a long way.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Its probably a faux pas but I cant shake the feeling thats how the majority of women her age think. They've lived sheltered lives being told that they are victims of toxic masculinity and they simply believe it.

In her case, she probably went through a lot of bs to get to where she is now. She was besties with Harvey so god knows what he put her through.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
That's surprisingly out of touch for someone who works in film, especially when even casual filmgoers can think of examples to prove her wrong. I'd read to see if there's some important context, but I don't want to give ScreenRant the click, or the attention, since I largely regard them as a clickbait content farm.

Lunarorbit

She just doesn't get it at all. I like several of her projects but she comes across as someone who is always put off about something, especially when it's about her.

Her comments about weight loss are so disingenuous. Tons of men have lost or gained weight for roles.

She was not a good representation of Katniss physically. Completely lost the point of why the books were called hunger games. She comes across as selfish too often and then tries to backtrack and goes too far in the other direction

Its probably a faux pas but I cant shake the feeling thats how the majority of women her age think. They've lived sheltered lives being told that they are victims of toxic masculinity and they simply believe it.

In her case, she probably went through a lot of bs to get to where she is now. She was besties with Harvey so god knows what he put her through.
Yeah. I really don't blame her but she deserves some ridicule and correction for the comments. You see this kind of sentiment repeated everywhere these days.

""Goodbye! I want to circle back to you being “The Woman King.” I remember when I was doing “Hunger Games,” nobody had ever put a woman in the lead of an action movie because it wouldn’t work because we were told girls and boys can both identify with a male lead, but boys cannot identify with a female lead. And it just makes me so happy every single time I see a movie come out that just blows through every one of those beliefs, and proves that it is just a lie to keep certain people out of the movies. To keep certain people in the same positions that they’ve always been in."

Sounds like something someone told her.
Seems blown out of proportion, which is par for the course on the internet.

Doczu

Sounds like something someone told her.
Seems blown out of proportion, which is par for the course on the internet.
Ah yes, no critical thinking - the best there is.

Come on now i refuse to believe that in her life she hasn't seen ANY action movie with a female lead. ANY!

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I mean. . .you don't even have to "Google" to know this is complete and utter nonsense. Like you don't even have go all the way back to the ALIEN franchise. Inarguably, one of the greatest action movies of the modern era is KILL BILL. . .and they made TWO of them. Both highly reviewed, highly rewatchable and kinda front-loaded on female kick-assery (the entirety of KB1 is about kickass lady assassins murdering each other).

. . .it's just such a pointless statement that someone as savvy as JL should have known was horseshit.

Hugare

In 2012 alone (when the movie came out), there were Reident Evil Retribution and Underworld: Awakening with women as leads

I blame the Academy for giving her an Oscar for that terrible and overrated David O. Russel movie

The woman now thinks she is the next Meryl Streep

Top Bottom