• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jennifer Lawrence said "I remember when I was doing “Hunger Games,” nobody had ever put a woman in the lead of an action movie"

SafeOrAlone

Banned
This is modern Hollywood marketing
1. Have the actor/director say something uninformed
2. People (mainly fans) criticise it
3. React about the backlash and abuse, maybe even cherrypick a few abusive tweets as death threats and claim they are from the alt-right
4. Hope people see the movie?

It's just tiring at this point

Okay, I think I picked up on this recently with Florence Pugh and her team.

I was seeing articles all over the place, fighting back against the supposed "outrage" that occured when she wore a see-thru dress at some event. I was like "what backlash??", yet there were articles defending her everywhere. It's like they wanted there to be backlash.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
People really care this much? The vitriol in this thread is just baffling.

It's not really vitriol (well maybe some), more so than needlessly exaggerating the real issue of representation in media. All a statement like this does, even if in her head she's thinking "In general, not absolutely", is give the folks way on the other side, ammo to dismiss the central conceit of her argument.

More, it just betrays a laziness. She didn't expect to get any pushback from Viola Davis (who probably herself was thinking "Well that isn't true") and so why be accurate?

Moneal

""Goodbye! I want to circle back to you being “The Woman King.” I remember when I was doing “Hunger Games,” nobody had ever put a woman in the lead of an action movie because it wouldn’t work because we were told girls and boys can both identify with a male lead, but boys cannot identify with a female lead. And it just makes me so happy every single time I see a movie come out that just blows through every one of those beliefs, and proves that it is just a lie to keep certain people out of the movies. To keep certain people in the same positions that they’ve always been in."

Sounds like something someone told her.
Seems blown out of proportion, which is par for the course on the internet.
So she believed something someone told her for 10 years that was easily disproven by multiple movies from the year hunger games came out. Resident Evil Retribution, Prometheus, and Underworld Awakening all came out in 2012. Each with a female lead. Even though Resident Evil and Prometheus came out after Hunger Games, both were from series with each previous movie having a female lead. Underworld came out 2 months before Hunger Games.

Its just so easily disproven there is no way she would hold the belief 10 years later.

"Jennifer Lawrence Clarifies Remark About Female-Led Action Movies: “It Came Out Wrong”​

The Oscar winner, currently promoting her A24/Apple drama 'Causeway,' tells The Hollywood Reporter what she meant to say in her recent conversation with Viola Davis.

Jennifer Lawrence has clarified remarks she made in a video interview with Viola Davis as part of Variety’s Actors on Actors series, in which she said, “I remember when I was doing Hunger Games, nobody had ever put a woman in the lead of an action movie, because it wouldn’t work, we were told. Girls and boys can both identify with a male lead, but boys cannot identify with a female lead.”

Speaking with The Hollywood Reporter on Thursday, Lawrence said, “That’s certainly not what I meant to say at all. I know that I am not the only woman who has ever led an action film. What I meant to emphasize was how good it feels. And I meant that with Viola — to blow past these old myths that you hear about … about the chatter that you would hear around that kind of thing. But it was my blunder and it came out wrong. I had nerves talking to a living legend.”
"Speaking of the way quotes can be misconstrued or taken out of context by the media, Lawrence told THR: “One time I was quoted saying that Donald Trump was responsible for hurricanes. I felt that one was ridiculous, that it was so stupid I didn’t need to comment. But this one, I was like, ‘I think I want to clarify.'”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...-lawrence-female-led-action-films-1235278203/

"I think I'm the first woman who ever farted, up until now it was only a myth, but to clarify I really am the first woman to fart along side another
black
woman"

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

People really care this much? The vitriol in this thread is just baffling.
Personally, I think she just talks out of her ass way too often and takes every slight in Hollywood as a crusade to "educate" the plebs.

Her statement is so hilariously wrong that when it's coupled with her attitude is it surprising that people want to ridicule her. She acts like a huge martyr but is completely tone deaf

Billbofet

I think another change since Hunger Games is that we now have so much access to celebrities. On top of the normal pr and interviews, you get a view of their lives through social media and every tweet or post becomes a news article in our 24/7 news pelting.
Most that try to make everything a crusade and inflate their importance just end up showing how vain and out of touch they are with reality.
The end result of this is going to be much more attention than she would have received already for this movie, so she will most likely continue to stay stupid and uniformed shit. Attention is all she wanted and now she has it.

milla-jovovich-resident-evil.jpg

pel1300

It was so annoying how X-Men made her the focus just because of The Hunger Games. She was just a supporting character in X-Men First Class...then suddenly in Days of Future Past and Apocalypse everything is about her. And she just phoned in the performances, even complaining about how long the make up took when playing Mystique.

Shifty1897

Doesn't she have an eighth grade education? She was appearing in commercials recently to rally votes for a poorly written city council reform law in Portland.

Bless her heart. It's one thing to know you're dumb and keep your mouth shut, it's another entirely to not know.

Dev1lXYZ

Seems like the usual off the cuff actor sales PR spew for the movie. She'd be well aware of Barbarella and Jane Fonda, Fonda has a lady boner for her (my misses is a Jane Fonda fan).

vanity-fair-2-800-1-1f4335ba94ad4e678ea6d90f77dd440b.jpg

I’m admiring how similar they look. Noses are pretty close, although different angles may be contributing. Jane has gargantuan sized ears compared to Jennifer’s, but she has been subject to gravity longer. Cartilage weakens over time and sags due to gravity, so Jennifer may have the same issue later in life.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
To be fair many of those roles that she seemingly doesn't know about were made before she was born. That's the millennial mindset for you. Didn't happen in my lifetime? Fuck it.

Laptop1991

She must have known about all the female led films before hers, i wonder if that's what the interviewer or magazine wanted her to say, so she said it, they paid her i assume.

Top Bottom