• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jenson Button signs for Williams BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekajelly

Yikes_anim.gif

Williams announced he has signed a two-year deal to join them next season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/3540478.stm

Koshiro

I am shocked and awed at this news, I really didn't see it coming.

Webber + Button + Williams = WIN

Poor BAR though.

ghostface

Well, I guess that wraps it up for Jacques Villeneuve then. Too bad, because I think Williams would have greatly benefited from his skills, and so would've the entire sport.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
this came from really far left field, didnt see this happening at all but the more i think about it, it makes sense. jenson was still conracted to Williams just BAR took up the option on his contract, now that option has expired so hes back to Willaims.

Hakkinen for BAR 05 !!!

Ouch... WTF' this came out of nowhere... and pretty dumb by Button.

Why leave bar? They're on their way to the top?

Frank Williams played the canadian press for fools. He kept hinting Villeneuve might have a shot.... or should we blame Jacques' for sticking with an agent that thinks only for himself.

Bat

Apparently, BAR is prepared to sue to prevent this from happening. Jenson has an out clause that is triggered if and only if Honda doesn't show a long term commitment. However, with Honda just agreeing to extend their relationship with BAR, this is all quite puzzling.

It is also totally unlike Button, who has been a great BAR spokesman. Anyways, this is a retarded move for him in all possible ways as it ruin his reputation and BAR will probably have a better car than Williams for the next 2 years anyways.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
silly season predictions for next year!!!

hakkinen for BAR
Villeneuve for BAR!!!
heidfeld for Jaguar
Briscoe for Jordan

Personally, I think it's a total slap in the face of BAR.

Espacially David Richards, cause Button was his number one. Will he turn to Villeneuve?

That would be intresting, unless Button gets forced to comeback.

Either way, it's not good for BAR.

Shinobi

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
Do you know how much pride Richards would have to swallow to hire Jacques back? I really don't see that happening. I doubt Jacques would ever trust him again anyway. Damnit, guess Button's fucked him over twice now!

Pimpwerx

Yeah, this is slightly bizarre info IMO. This sucks for BAR, who are having a much better season than Williams this year. Button teaming with Webber will be awesome, but I really don't think he should leave BAR when they're on the up like this. The team can only stumble due to this. Looks like Sato is extra-safe now, and Trulli has some more options available as well. PEACE.

Shinobi

Sato's future was supposedly under a bit of scrutiny due to his streak of DNF's, but I think Honda stamped their foot down a bit and laid down the law. So yeah, Sato should be safe. Wonder if DC will go to BAR...there was heavy talk last week of him going to Williams. Or do they go for Mika Hakkinen, who's apparantely itching to get back but was asking for more then Williams was willing to pay. Should be a fun and interesting few weeks, as the silly season is officially upon us.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
bit of a shock.

I guess the old 'cold war' stalwarts of Mclaren and Williams still have a lot of pull. Even if they aren't doing so well this season, they can still get the good drivers.

I really hope its a watertight move, as if BAR get button back, there will surely be bad blood which might leave Jenson isolated.

Its also an interesting choice for Jenson, as BAR seemed really behind him as #1 driver, and he became a big spokesman for them as they were on the up.

I just hope Williams can deliver next season.

Shinobi

McLaren seems to be back on track as far as the car is concerned, so as long as they don't screw things up they should be a mighty force next year with Kimi and Montoya.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Seems like a step down for Jenson, i guess he can use his piles of money to soften the blow.

Shinobi

Heh, things are getting mighty ugly...

JENSON: WHY I'M OFF TO WILLIAMS
Last Updated: Sunday, 08, August, 2004, 11:23

Jenson Button has broken his silence on his controversial move to Williams.

The Brit revealed he is intent on leaving BAR because he believes Williams offer him a better chance of becoming world champion.

Button told Radio Five Live: "I am going to be driving for Williams next season.

"I'm not a legal expert but from the information I have I am able to race for Williams next year.

"My main aim in Formula 1 is to be world champion and I want to challenge Michael Schumacher for the next few years and to do that Williams is the best team.”

BAR boss David Richards was furious that he only learnt of Button’s defection through a fax from the 24-year-old’s management team.

Richards said he had been unable to contact Button, and has set a deadline of Monday for the pair to sit down and discuss the matter.

Button acknowledged that the controversy is likely to have poisoned his relationship with the team.

He said: "BAR have been a really great team to work with and I've enjoyed every moment with them.

"The atmosphere will be a bit different now but these things do happen.

"Formula 1 is not just about this season and the resources at Williams are fantastic and they are a team that will be challenging for the world championship next year."

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=30841

Button could've handled this much better...how can you leave for another team without contacting your current one? It's almost an admission of guilt. Then again I don't think Dave handled the situation with Jacques last year very well, so it looks good on him.

BUTTON DEAL BINDING, INSISTS FRANK
Last Updated: Saturday, 07, August, 2004, 09:12

Williams have insisted their controversial deal with Jenson Button is perfectly legal.

Frank Williams said on Friday that he rejected BAR boss David Richards’ accusation that the signing hinged on a ‘ridiculous technicality’.

Williams said he had been assured by his lawyers that the move is above board and legally binding.

He said: "The first clear and unequivocal point is that we hold a contract with Jenson. It appears that BAR contest this.

“However we are of the firm opinion, on strong legal advice, that BAR lost the opportunity to obtain Jenson and I have no doubt he will be with the Williams-BMW F1 team for 2005.

"Whatever is said about contractual details, one fact is not contestable - Jenson wishes and expects to drive for Williams-BMW in 2005 and 2006 and has made this intention clear."

Williams revealed that his team had only announced the deal last night because they knew that Richards planned to go public in this morning’s press.

He said: "We wished to open a dialogue privately with BAR to run through all the contractual issues, however BAR pre-empted us, went to the press, and we have been obliged to make our position clear.”

Williams also said he had held out no hope of recruiting Button – until the Brit’s management team made him aware of the clause in his BAR contract.

He admitted: "We assumed it was out of the question but this is an opportunity I have experienced in the past and being a racing team we went for it.”

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=30838

There's Frank's take on things. Finally, the aftermath of the Button/Richards meeting, from Jenson's perspective...

BUTTON FIRES PARTING SHOT
Last Updated: Sunday, 08, August, 2004, 03:09

Jenson Button has criticised BAR's handling of his move to Williams.

The Brit met BAR boss David Richards for face-to-face talks on Sunday during which he made clear his desire to move on.

In a statement released this afternoon, Button said: "Given the circumstances, the meeting was constructive. David is now in doubt of my intention to move to BMW Williams in 2005.

"My contractual position allows for this and I have also clarified that I am not moving for money.

"My motivation is straightforward determination to win a World Championship, determination which I am sure he (Richards) as a competitive person well understands.

"Naturally, the main element of disagreement is whether these ambitions would be better served by BMW Williams or BAR."

Button went on to criticise BAR's handling of negotiations with his management company, Essentially Sport.

He said: "Essentially Sport were not permitted to hold private contractual discussions with BAR. I do not feel it was constructive for BAR to leak details of these discussions.

"I have worked hard and contributed seven podiums and 61 of the team's 76 points this season.

"Drivers are changing teams up and down the paddock at the moment - an accepted and fundamental element of our sport - and I wish that my return to Williams would have been less acrimonious in light of the contribution I have made to BAR this season.

But Button promised that he would continue to give his best to BAR for the rest of the season.

He said: Now that I have met with David and we have both had the opportunity to express our points of view, the most important matter is that the hard work and commitment to racing from everybody in Brackley is repaid with strong results for the remainder of the season, which I have every intention of doing."

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=30844

I reckon BAR's more upset that they weren't notified of the move first, or that BAR wasn't given an opportunity to match or beat Williams deal. Other then that, I reckon Button's deal is airtight. Williams isn't stupid, they're not gonna get into any contract situation that isn't solid.

So there you have it...BAR now has an open seat. Could the unthinkable occur? Could Jacques and David find themselves reunited? Fat chance I say...but I'd love to see that happen. Chances are Mika Hakkinen has the inside track though.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest there is no real shocker here, seriously.

Williams have held an option on Button's contract since he left them after his rookie season, Sir Frank said they wanted him "To go out and get some experience under his belt" before deciding whether or not to invoke that option, he has done that, and shone and so that is exactly what Wiliams have done.

This kind of situation is not exactly unusual in F1, when you have a system whereby driver slots are filled/changed for the next year mid-season it is always going to be a risk, you have not got enough fingers and toes to count the number of drivers who have been "frozen out" of a team mid-season due to contractual changes in the future.

No doubt Button & his management could have handled this a little more tactfully, but in truth it shows that Button really has left his rookie years behind, they saw an opportunity and ran with it. Team loyalty only last for as long as a contract runs, and due to the nature of signing new contracts mid-season even that can be tenuous.

Given that is was Sir Frank who gave Button his entry into F1, I'd think that Jenson feels he's "coming home" with this deal.

It will be interesting to see the effect this will have on the rest of BAR & Jenson's season.

Pimpwerx

In other news, BAR are supposedly in talks with Mika. Mika's comments about it were something like, "there's no smoke without fire" and "I don't want to comment further at the moment", so maybe the Flying Finn will be back in F1 in the hot BAR seat next year. :) I will be very pleased. I didn't like Mika much since he was Michael's main rival, but I really, really miss him right now. I think a lot of people do and just don't realize it. Wouldn't it be funny if Mika hopped into the BAR seat next year and beat Button in thr WDC? That would be some irony for you. Anyway, Button's catching a lot of heat right now, but like he said, this is an accepted part of the sport. Everyone else is doing it this year, why's he the one getting all the flack? PEACE.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
I agree, I really want to see Mika back. Even moreso if he's re-ignited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom