• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Jez Corden] Just heard Sony landed a deal with Konami for Silent Hill, Metal Gear, and maybe even a new Castlevania. 🔥

blacktout

Hasn't every person with an internet connection "heard" these rumors by now?

Right? I had to check the date at the top of the thread. It's going to be a long month of reheated rumors and speculation between now and when we start getting actual gaming news again in June.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
Microsoft is trying to recreate the success they had on the X360.

What were the best selling games on the X360? Aside from GTA5, it was Call of Duty games and Elders Scrolls.

Of the top 22 selling games on X360, 8 of them were ABK games, 1 Bethesda, 9 were Microsoft.
If MS wants to recreate x360, then partner with 3rd party developers. That is what made x360 great. You had soo many developers making games for that system, while Xbox had low first party studios.

If MS wants to recreate x360, then partner with 3rd party developers. That is what made x360 great. You had soo many developers making games for that system, while Xbox had low first party studios.

They're all still making Xbox Series games. The difference now is that Sony 1st party has distinguished itself from Microsoft's and Microsoft's has actually gone downhill.

This makes it easy for Sony to create momentum as the place to play.

I have friends who ONLY play CoD, but MAYBE some of their friends play the last of us. It's just easier to have the same ecosystem as your friends. The dudebros loved the 360 and Microsoft squandered that with the Xbox One. Now the dudebros are more spread out across Xbox and PS.

This was already known.

NXGamger, MLiD and RGT already reported on a Metal Gear Solid Remake coming exclusively to the PS5.

Not that they are all reliable but if this many people have heard about it, then there should be some truth to it. Especially now that we’ve seen the Silent Hill Remake.

Last edited:
Not buying any Shpeshal Nick/Jez rumours

TBF he's actually been more accurate with Sony-related rumors than Microsoft-related ones, if you can believe it.

I mean he's still solidly an Xbox dude, you can tell. That random rant on PlayStation when RedFall & Starfield got delayed was hilariously bad. But his track record isn't too bad for PlayStation game rumors TBH.

At least recalling from memory.

See phil, this is the shit that you need to do. Not that gamers holding hand shit.
Bring that ruthless side to business.

He'd have no leverage to convince Konami to bring historically Sony-associated IPs to Xbox as timed exclusives, I don't even think a fat check would do it because some of these IP have been dormant for a very long time and Konami would want to ensure they find an actual audience. One that, I'd think, is also willing to pay for new releases (so Game Pass deals wouldn't be too convincing either).

But if we're talking WRT doing this stuff for IP that have some stronger ties to Xbox, yea he should be doing that. KOTOR Remake should've been an Xbox timed exclusive. They can still talk with Sega about maybe getting marketing rights to Jet Set Radio remake (maybe timed exclusivity if it's not a live-service game). They SHOULD have been started working on remakes for Gears of War, Banjo-Kazooie...a Perfect Dark & Zero remake would've been great to lead into the new Perfect Dark.

How all of this stuff escaped the attention of Xbox is mystifying.

Last edited:

Three

TBF he's actually been more accurate with Sony-related rumors than Microsoft-related ones, if you can believe it.

I mean he's still solidly an Xbox dude, you can tell. That random rant on PlayStation when RedFall & Starfield got delayed was hilariously bad. But his track record isn't too bad for PlayStation game rumors TBH.

At least recalling from memory.
What rumour was he right on out of curiosity? He said he had heard rumours that Remedy were making a game with Sony's XDEV in 2021 after somebody else said they had 'heard it' on reddit. Nothing has materialised yet.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
This is the kind of thing that Phil Spencer was complaining about - only they have the exact same means to do these deals. In fact, they have pretty much all the money in the world to do it.
Not really. They tried with Tomb raider and it didn't work out. And Scalebound make it harder for them to make deals with Japanese devs. And now with Gamepass being seemingly mandated in any deal from Microsoft and Sony mindshare and market share in Japan(and the world) make any Xbox deal really costly for them. At some point losing money just to make your competitor loose a small part of that money is not viable. And this it before thinking of the PR backlash of moneyhatting beloved franchises. If Xbox did this but for franchises that have history with Xbox like Mass Effect it would be better received. And they do have the money for it. Maybe they will do it one day?

SilentUser

This again? We are "hearing" these rumours for so many years lol not saying it won't happen, but it feels like most of the leakers are just repeating what have been circulating for a long time just to "hit" the right moment.

I would prefer an ultimate MGS Solid collection. Essentially all MGS games in one set remastered so they run in 4K at 60FPS. I would be fine with that.

feynoob

Gold Member
They're all still making Xbox Series games. The difference now is that Sony 1st party has distinguished itself from Microsoft's and Microsoft's has actually gone downhill.

I have friends who ONLY play CoD, but MAYBE some of their friends play the last of us. It's just easier to have the same ecosystem as your friends. The dudebros loved the 360 and Microsoft squandered that with the Xbox One. Now the dudebros are more spread out across Xbox and PS.
We don't need to compare their games to Sony.

We need Xbox to do their thing. The same shit that they used to do during X360. We are not seeing that. Since tomb raider debacle, they stopped.

They need to bring that momentum.

I hope Sony can fire their asses off. Current Xbox is not doing favors to the industry. They need to wake up.

daninthemix

Sony buys Konami.

atomic bomb explosion GIF
How many decades has it been since anyone gave a shit about Konami?

What rumour was he right on out of curiosity? He said he had heard rumours that Remedy were making a game with Sony's XDEV in 2021 after somebody else said they had 'heard it' on reddit. Nothing has materialised yet.

This is why I said if my memory served me correctly 😂 I think there was one regarding a State of Play and...I'm drawing a blank from there. Don't really keep track of these rumors insiders put out, since they tend to put out so many.

Maybe someone more familiar with Nick's rumors over the past year could chime in if there's anything else. Otherwise, yeah I guess he's just as unreliable as most of the others.

We need Xbox to do their thing. The same shit that they used to do during X360. We are not seeing that. Since tomb raider debacle, they stopped.

I hope Sony can fire their asses off. Current Xbox is not doing favors to the industry. They need to wake up.

From what Phil said they already know what their weaknesses are. However they haven't been making the right decisions to strengthen them. It might be a while before we see an improvement from them.

Are publishers refusing to do deals like this with MS because they don’t want to go on gamepass at launch?

Just seems strange that MS haven’t done any third party exclusives.

Mr Moose

Wow Jizz and Nick, thanks for letting us know.
Are publishers refusing to do deals like this with MS because they don’t want to go on gamepass at launch?

Just seems strange that MS haven’t done any third party exclusives.
STALKER 2
Warhammer 40,000 Darktide
Tetris Effect: Connected
The Gunk
The Medium
CrossfireX
Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis
Ark II

Last edited:

skit_data

This was already known.

NXGamger, MLiD and RGT already reported on a Metal Gear Solid Remake coming exclusively to the PS5.

Not that they are all reliable but if this many people have heard about it, then there should be some truth to it. Especially now that we’ve seen the Silent Hill Remake.
It sort of reminds me of the Demon’s Souls remake situation before it was announced. A lot of people pointing at a lot of smoke but no definitive proof.

Of course, they're going to be compared, that's the nature of the industry.

Netflix is compared to Disney+, Apple TV+, Hulu, Max, e.t.c.

Mercedes is compared to BMW and Audi

Pepsi is compared to Coca Cola...

Uh, Microsoft made the 360 popular by courting the same 3P offerings Sony had in the PS2 generation, and making games that were roughly comparable to most of Sony's 1P from the previous gen too (Forza/Gran Turismo, Perfect Dark/Killzone, Kameo/insert Sony 3D platformer, Conker/insert Sony 3D platformer, etc.). Not to mention pushing hard with 3P exclusivity deals (some out of happenstance since they had the only then-next gen system on the market, some by default due to rough PS3 launch, quite a few through their own efforts to try squeezing out PS like with Mass Effect series).

Microsoft's "own thing" in 360 era was pretty much out-Sonying Sony in 3P games (specifically Western ones) and focus on gaming (prioritizing Xbox Live when Sony were prioritizing Blu-Ray for example), and explicitly doing 3P exclusivity deals that Sony actually rarely did up to that point, but would go big on the following generation. So basically, you're asking for Microsoft to do what Sony is doing, just more of it.

The one thing Sony does that Microsoft has never consistently done is elevate their 1P and have a slate of marquee 1P offerings meeting market expectations. Actually, I'll take that back. Microsoft did that and were keeping up pretty well up until around 2008 or so. After that they started trimming back heavily on their 1P variety and mainly "kept pace" with Halo, Gears & Forza but those IP slowed in growth starting around then (aside from Forza, thanks to Forza Horizon). But Sony's 1P took a giant leap during PS3 gen and Sony began solidifying their niche within the gaming space.

The gap between Sony's 1P and Microsoft's 1P has only grown since and now it's the largest it has ever been.

If memory serves Witcher 3 sold the most on PS4 despite Witcher 2 being an Xbox 360 exclusive.

Pelta88

I don't believe Jez. I stopped listening to him when he was crying to Geoff Keighley over Forza not being nominated for game of the year. He's day to day seems to be damage control for a conglomerate. Just the other day he had a piece out claiming that Redfall wasn't an XBOX game and that Phil Spencer as the head of XBOX isn't responsible for that games debacle...

And then Phil Spencer said that every game XBOX releases is an XBOX game and the buck stops with him.

All of that aside, from my limited understanding, PlayStation is loading up the clip for a full on onslaught. Given the state of their competition right now they're probably going in for the Kill to secure another generation.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
This is the kind of thing that Phil Spencer was complaining about - only they have the exact same means to do these deals. In fact, they have pretty much all the money in the world to do it.

It's not even analogous to what Phil is talking about if some of these games are developed internally by Sony

If BluePoint for instance is working any of these.

How is Xbox going to convince Konami to strike a 3 game deal given their track record and with no studios internally available to work it? They'd need to somehow convince them to partner with third party external studios. If you are Konami, who do you trust more for this deal to be at quality - Sony or Microsoft?

Yeah, as Phil said, "it's on them". You sometimes don't get opportunities like this without having the prestige of Sony's quality track record

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
These rumours are getting a bit long in the tooth.
Announced something or shut up already.

Top Bottom