• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Jim Merrick gets bold on Revolution"

Amir0x

Banned
I don't know if this was posted, did a search a few times and found nothing. But this comes from poster Cosmozone, who can't post his own topics yet. Seems like he put a lot of work into it, so here:

The following article appeared today in Germany's second biggest (non-yellow) daily newspaper FAZ. Apparently they had a talk with Jim Merrick (NoE), and he takes a surprisingly aggressive stance, although not saying much different things than he's said before.

The short story:
Merrick reiterates that Hardware/HDTV isn't important, attacks Microsoft, says he hopes(???) Revolution will be cheaper than Xbox 360, states that there's a high chance for Nintendo to attain world leadership in late 2007 (if their strategy works out), disses mobile phone gaming.

Link to the original article: http://tinyurl.com/9lec9

The long story (translation):

Nintendo skips high-tech race with Sony and Microsoft
October 24th 2005 The market for video games is preparing for a quantum leap: Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are about to release the next generation of video consoles shortly. While Sony and Microsoft are taking on a fierce battle for the fastest processor or the best graphics, Nintendo deliberately heads down a different path. "Our approach lies in opening up to new users - not new technology", says Jim Merrick, NoE's head of merketing.

"Hardware is irrelevant"

While Microsoft and Sony gear up their gaming consoles to turn into multimedia devices that also allow users to listen to music, watch films or surfing the net, Nintendo is reclaiming their roots. "Nintendo is an entertainment company. We don't own any film studios and we are no hardware company either. The Revolution is capable to play DVD films - but that isn't an important functions to us. We offer good interactive entertainment instead. But that's not a question of the hardware or power. This is all irrelevant. It's all about the games", Merrick said.

"Nothing for average people"

The problem of the industry according to Merrick: "An average person today can't make head or tails of a video game." Instead of the usual input devices (controllers), Nintendo would be focussing on a sort of remote device similar to TV remotes average people are used to. "Wenn thinking about a gamer today, you picture a pale tennager, drinking cola and eating chips. This shouldn't be." A way in the direction of new users would be Nintendogs. "In Japan, more than a half of the registered Nintendogs gamers is female. Additionally the age spread is much greater", Merrick says. In Germany, Nintendo sold 50,000 Nintendogs games in the first eight days after release.

The company traditionally has a strong position among young consumers, backed up by games like 'Pokemon' or 'Mario'. "The youngest gamers are 4 to 5 years old. We won't give up our position for this group, but we also want to score with older people. In Japan, brain training games are strong with gamers who are 35 years or older. That are not the people that are traditionally referred to as video gamers", Merrick says.

Revolution cheaper than Xbox 360

Beside the games, the price is also supposed to broaden the user base: "We are very aware of the price sensitivity of the gaming market, especially when going for the mass market. I strongly hope that the Revolution will be cheaper than the 400 Euros of the Xbox 360.", Merrick says. The new Microsoft console is that expensive, because it supports HDTV, for example. "But only few people are benefitting from that. We won't do that", Merrick says. However, in one area, Microsoft has set new standards: building online communities. "Nintendo is also going to establish an online community. But we don't wont to make the mistake of monetarizing the service first and put in value for the customers only later. We want to go the other way with our mobile console Nintendo DS: when we're starting the online service for the game 'Mario Kart', it is free for the gamers", says Merrick. The online games for the Nintendo DS, which has sold 200,000 units so far in Germany, are not regarded as a self-contained source of income, but as a catalyst, to sell more games. "With the Nintendo-'Revolution', not all online games will be free for the users", Merrick notes.

"We don't worry too much about Xbox 360"

For christmas season, Nintendo doesn't intend to lower the price for their current console Gamecube at 99 Euros. Nintendo sold 800,000 consoles in Germany so far and is expecting good christmas sales - even with the Gamecube at the end of its lifespan and a strong competitor with the Xbox 360. "We don't worry too much about Xbox 360. The supply will be limited and the types of games offered won't appeal to all target groups. There will always be a group of technology fans, that buys any next-generation console on release. But there won't be an impact on the mass market - at least not until they see what is offered to them by Sony and Nintendo next year. When our strategy of expanding on the customer base works out, we have a very good chance to achieve world leadership by late 2007", Merrick hopes. Since March, the company has sold about 1,5 million Nintendo DS. They want to have sold 3 million DS in Europe by end of the year.

Merrick hasn't high hopes for games for mobile phones, though. "Every year mobile gaming is expected to go big business. This didn't happen so far. Only few consumers buy cell phone games. Most consumers play the games already preinstalled on their cell phone. So far we didn't see any mobile phone which our games could be played on properly. The second generation of the Nokia N-Gage was much better than the first generation, but its reputation is already tarnished.

End of Article - Whew!
Way to go Mr Merrick. :) Clearly some of the most daring and over the top statements I've heared from Nintendo so far.

~Cosmozone

AirBrian

Amir0x said:
Revolution cheaper than Xbox 360

Beside the games, the price is also supposed to broaden the user base: "We are very aware of the price sensitivity of the gaming market, especially when going for the mass market. I strongly hope that the Revolution will be cheaper than the 400 Euros of the Xbox 360.", Merrick says. The new Microsoft console is that expensive, because it supports HDTV, for example. "But only few people are benefitting from that. We won't do that", Merrick says. However, in one area, Microsoft has set new standards: building online communities. "Nintendo is also going to establish an online community. But we don't wont to make the mistake of monetarizing the service first and put in value for the customers only later. We want to go the other way with our mobile console Nintendo DS: when we're starting the online service for the game 'Mario Kart', it is free for the gamers", says Merrick. The online games for the Nintendo DS, which has sold 200,000 units so far in Germany, are not regarded as a self-contained source of income, but as a catalyst, to sell more games. "With the Nintendo-'Revolution', not all online games will be free for the users", Merrick notes.
I'm assuming he means third-parties.

And what's this about Rev. might be cheaper than X360?

datruth29

"We are very aware of the price sensitivity of the gaming market, especially when going for the mass market. I strongly hope that the Revolution will be cheaper than the 400 Euros of the Xbox 360."

It better frickin be!!!!

Mrbob

monkeyrun said:
I guess he probably mean some games (e.g. MMORPG) might cost money.

No.

Revolution won't have MMORPG without a hdd. Unless they are very limited ones like the Everquest PS2 MMORPG. I don't see any 3rd party making a Revolution exclusive MMORPG.

This is an interesting quote too:

However, in one area, Microsoft has set new standards: building online communities. "Nintendo is also going to establish an online community. But we don't wont to make the mistake of monetarizing the service first and put in value for the customers only later. We want to go the other way with our mobile console Nintendo DS: when we're starting the online service for the game 'Mario Kart', it is free for the gamers", says Merrick. The online games for the Nintendo DS, which has sold 200,000 units so far in Germany, are not regarded as a self-contained source of income, but as a catalyst, to sell more games. "With the Nintendo-'Revolution', not all online games will be free for the users", Merrick notes.

So is Merrick saying Nintendo online will be free at first, but as features start to get added they are going to charge? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :D

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Mrbob said:
No.

Revolution won't have MMORPG without a hdd. Unless they are very limited ones like the Everquest PS2 MMORPG. I don't see any 3rd party making a Revolution exclusive MMORPG.

there is internal flash memory, and its upgradable. like the 360 harddrive!!

Mrbob said:
This is an interesting quote too:

So is Merrick saying Nintendo online will be free at first, but as features start to get added they are going to charge? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :D

um.. i think you are reaching.

koam said:
Either this interview is poorly translated or this guy is a moron (or out of the loop).

it might be the translation, ive read other interviews where he sounds nothing like this.

Mrbob said:
iswydt0tw.jpg

Oh well, the average FAZ-reader will have no clue whats so special about the Revolution. "Controller more like a remote" wow that tells a lot -.-

Nintendo skips high-tech race with Sony and Microsoft

That is wrong translated. The original headline in that article says:

Nintendo skips competition with Sony and Microsoft

Well that could lead to some confusion. But meh. Videogames have such a poor public coverage and reputation here in Germany its not funny. :<

edit: well, the rest of the translation seems fine to me on the first view... :/ Its just a poorly written article as you would expect from such a format here in germany...

koam

quadriplegicjon said:
it might be the translation, ive read other interviews where he sounds nothing like this.

Actually, I think you're right. I remember reading an interview with him right after TGS (revmote launch) and he had one of the better interviews. This one sounds like stories he heard in the mens bathroom about Nintendo; his facts are either really off or just badly worded.

Edit: Btw link doesn't work.

TheDuce22

Banned
I still maintain that this "average person" nintendo keeps talking about wont run out and buy a video game console. If it hasnt happend yet its not going to.

datruth29

methodman said:
how much does the x360 have? don't you need a memory card?

I think the HDD for the 360 is 20 gigs. It comes with the premium package, but if you wish to go with the WTF Pack, then you would need to buy it seperatly. For $100. Which would lead to the same price as the Premium Pack. Hence, the essence of the WTF.

Particle Physicist

GhaleonEB said:
You know this how? Just wondering.

it was one of the first things announced about the rev. internal flash memory of at least 512mb in every system.. im guessing the console is going to be closely integrated with their online network. kinda like the 360.

KINGMOKU

"Hopes"? I am really starting to wonder about the Revolutions price, and capabilities.

Anyway, no pics of Rev games=anger.

methodman

Banned
im wonderin that too, if hes worried it might be more then a tree sitty, it actually might be more powerful than we all thought (but still not as powerful as an 360?)

Prine

Banned
Well that about wraps it up for Nintendo Online. MS having complete control over its network is a good thing, every publisher has to comply with their standards and expectations. Id rather have one unified application for interaction, communication and alerts over individual applications that fragment the service and its functions.

You lose (IF publishers indroduce their own subscriptions and restrict cross communication)

heidern

TheDuce22 said:
I still maintain that this "average person" nintendo keeps talking about wont run out and buy a video game console. If it hasnt happend yet its not going to.
Yes and I suppose Sony aren't going to release a more powerful console than Microsoft.
And Microsoft are in no way going to seriously threaten videogame market leadership.
If it hasnt happend yet its not going to!

And Nintendo are very coy about talking about pricing. Even Iwata said it won't be 4 or 500 dollars expensive. But that still leaves room for them to come in at $300. A price that would defintely enable them to compete in terms of hardware power(unless the sensor bar costs extortionate amounts of money)

So now will people shut the fuck up about HDTV? It's not going to be in, end of story. And the Revolution is going to be cheap and will be technically inferior to 360 and PS3. The games will look relatively the same at a lower-resolution though.

Mrbob

Prine said:
Well that about wraps it up for Nintendo Online. MS having complete control over its network is a good thing, every publisher has to comply with their standards and expectations. Id rather have one unified application for interaction, communication and alerts over individual applications that fragment the service and its functions.

You lose (IF publishers indroduce their own subscriptions and restrict cross communication)

Yup. It is the same problem Sony runs into. Nintendo setup is still better but it is a far cry from what is offered on Live.

Particle Physicist

Prine said:

whoa? how'd you get that from the interview. who says there are no standards, unified applications, etc. ? the only thing mentioned is that pricing is left up to the publisher. by the way, the DS has a unified buddy list, and i expect the rev online to have more features.

Firest0rm

Prine said:

Its amazing how fast xbox fans like to jump to conclusions with Nintendo's online structure. How about waiting until we get a clear presentation of the ACTUAL structure rather than vague comments on it.

datruth29

heidern said:
Yes and I suppose Sony aren't going to release a more powerful console than Microsoft.
And Microsoft are in no way going to seriously threaten videogame market leadership.
If it hasnt happend yet its not going to!

And Nintendo are very coy about talking about pricing. Even Iwata said it won't be 4 or 500 dollars expensive. But that still leaves room for them to come in at $300. A price that would defintely enable them to compete in terms of hardware power(unless the sensor bar costs extortionate amounts of money)

I wouldnt mind $300. I think that would be the tipping point though. Anything above that would be streching it. And even then, I would say they should include something with that, like a $10-20 coupon for downloadable games, or a limited edition console. I'm still hoping for at least $250.

monkeyrun

Prine said:

yeah, the next thing we know the internet's over because Apple's charging for music d/l over the internet, and blizzard's charging for world of warcraft

Kon Tiki

Banned
Prine said:

I agree. I only play PC games online with gamespy. Wait a tick...

... I just remembered I am an adult who does not need to be babied through online gaming.

Monk

Banned
Kon Tiki said:

... I just remembered I am an adult who does not need to be babied through online gaming.

... Just because you are online literate, doesnt mean everyone else is.

Prine

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
whoa? how'd you get that from the interview. who says there are no standards, unified applications, etc. ? the only thing mentioned is that pricing is left up to the publisher. by the way, the DS has a unified buddy list, and i expect the rev online to have more features.

hope they do, id love some Nintendo goodness online

Kon Tiki said:

Good for you, i bet you have just as much fun as i do with XBL

Prine

Banned
Kon Tiki said:
If I had fun playing with 15 year olds, the police would arrest me.

Gaming Age XBL'ers are 15??

Last time i checked my friends were my age.... theres a few im suspecious about though

Monk

Banned
And there lies the issue with XBL and all other online pay services, with pay services you cant ban people without good reason, so "these people are idiots" is just not good enough. While on the other hand banning with free online allows it as you dont have to worry about paying people back. Unless I am informed wrong that is.

G-Fex

Prine said:
Gaming Age XBL'ers are 15??

Last time i checked my friends were my age.... theres a few im suspecious about though

no most people on XBL are fucking kids. Why i'm starting to dislike Farcry a bit online.

Merrick reiterates that Hardware/HDTV isn't important,

Yes! Finally someone thinks so.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Nintendo of Europe has how much weight with the company? Zero you say? Then why is he spouting off like he knows the score? Drugs you say?

Prine said:

I thought PSO for Xbox charged a fee, and I imagine FFXI will charge a fee as well. Also note that pretty much the only games on PC that charge fees to play online are MMORPGs.

Nintendo games are likely to stay free I suppose, given that Nintendo will have an additional revenue stream from the Legacy Console.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
You know... the thing is that NoE and NoA usually don't know anything. Often enough they learn about things from NCL press releases so I wouldn't give anything in there too much weight.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Not this shit about not supporting HDTV again. I thought they'd already renigged on that already after the humuliating back-lash of Perrin Kaplan's "no-hdtv" statement.

It costs NOTHING to support the output of higher resolutions. Let developers decide what rezy to run thier games on but don't lock them into 480x640!

We love you Nintendo.... that's why your crazy decisions hurt us so much.

Gahiggidy said:
Not this shit about not supporting HDTV again. I thought they'd already renigged on that already after the humuliating back-lash of Perrin Kaplan's "no-hdtv" statement.

It costs NOTHING to support the output of higher resolutions. Let developers decide what rezy to run thier games on but don't lock them into 480x640!

doesn't HD cost more on cpu power useage, which is were nintendo wants to cut that on. why do 360 and ps3 have 3 cores and 7 spu respectively for?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Gahiggidy said:

You my friend are very smart.

Top Bottom