• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Jim Merrick gets bold on Revolution"

123rl

For more than just HD resolutions. HD graphics do take a big chunk of processing power but I doubt it's as much as Nintendo claim. I agree with Gahiggidy - let the developers decide!

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
ThunderEmperor said:
doesn't HD cost more on cpu power useage, which is were nintendo wants to cut that on. why do 360 and ps3 have 3 cores and 7 spu respectively for?
So? It doesn't add to the cost of the machine in any way to allow for output at a certain resoltuion. No guarantee the games will run smoothly at all, but if its running on a halfway decent chipset, then some games will have no problem scalling to HDTV.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Mrbob said:
Revolution won't have MMORPG without a hdd.D
Revolution will come with 512 MB of built-in flash RAM. That's actually more storage than you can count on an Xbox 360 user having.

Deku

Banned
With Samsung introducing the 1 Gig flash chip, I'm really hoping Nintendo upgrades that to a 1 gig internal memory. Not that it matters since Revo will be SD compatible and theoretically have unlimited storage or limited to the size and number of SD cards I can buy, and I have like 4 256 MB SD cards sitting around for my camera. 1 gig right there. :p

cvxfreak

I hope, for image sake, Nintendo includes Play-Yan-like capabilities in the Revolution. Running downloaded/encoded movies off of the memory stick as well as playing music would be an interesting feature.

Deku

Banned
Quality would be an issue on the Revolution and it would end up being a really low end Tivo. Still having 512 MB to play with should open up the possibilities. Maybe a built in life-sim game like Animal Crossing that ties in the game's menus, features and is also a game as well.

You know what I really want for Revolution? Miyamoto should call up Will Wright and get him to develop a Sim City or The Sims game on the Revolution. I loved the SFC Sim City and a game like that on Revolution in 3D would be amazing. Nintendo can develop it themselves, but a Sim City game residing in the Revo as a built in game would be amazing. Players can build their cities like usual but buying more games would add new buildings and players could enter video arcades in their cities to play the virtual console games.

Play-yan needs to be part of the chipset for the next Game Boy however.

Farmboy

We interviewed Merrick for our (dutch) magazine. I'll post the specifics after the issue hits the stands next week, but one thing you guys might find interesting (and I believe it has been mentioned here before, as a possibility) is that Merrick feels Nintendo "will probably never" officially release technical specifications for the Revo, because they feel these are largely irrelevant and meaningless. Hmm.

thorns

Banned
People will buy whatever console has big and popular games at the time (GTA, Halo, GT, Madden etc.) Fact is most of that stuff is gonna come out on PS3 or Xbox 360. DS is doing good because there are lots of good games available for it, both first and third party. Revolution will never be market leader with the minimal third party support it has now. They've already alienated most third party publishers already who have made lots of investment into xbox360/ps3 development.

thorns said:
People will buy whatever console has big and popular games at the time (GTA, Halo, GT, Madden etc.) Fact is most of that stuff is gonna come out on PS3 or Xbox 360. DS is doing good because there are lots of good games available for it, both first and third party. Revolution will never be market leader with the minimal third party support it has now. They've already alienated most third party publishers already who have made lots of investment into xbox360/ps3 development.

you didn't get last weeks memo, japanese developers love the system.

Farmboy said:
We interviewed Merrick for our (dutch) magazine. I'll post the specifics after the issue hits the stands next week, but one thing you guys might find interesting (and I believe it has been mentioned here before, as a possibility) is that Merrick feels Nintendo "will probably never" officially release technical specifications for the Revo, because they feel these are largely irrelevant and meaningless. Hmm.

Are you serious, so he is hinting that nitendo may not release specs, i guess they might only be able to pull that off once we see the games.

wazoo

"Microsoft’s got this big push that I’m somewhat at odds with them about, about minimum frame-buffer rendering resolutions on the 360 and it’s not completely clear how that pans out, but they’re essentially requiring all games to render at HDTV resolution. And that may not be exactly the right decision, where if you’ve got the option of doing better rendering technology at less pixels with higher antialiasing rates, that seems like a perfectly sensible thing that someone might want to do, but having a blanket “thou must render at 720p” or something, probably not."

John Carmack. quakecon.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
ThunderEmperor said:
Are you serious, so he is hinting that nitendo may not release specs, i guess they might only be able to pull that off once we see the games.

So...2007 then? Wtf Nintendo, wtf.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Merrick said:
In Germany, Nintendo sold 50,000 Nintendogs games in the first eight days after release.

Merrick said:
The online games for the Nintendo DS, which has sold 200,000 units so far in Germany, are not regarded as a self-contained source of income, but as a catalyst, to sell more games.

wow

25% of the DS owners bought Nintendogs in the first eight days.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
No wait Nintendo may not ever release specs? WHAT?! What are they scared of?

Kato

CVXFREAK said:
Wait, there are online DS games out in Germany now?

No

The online games for the Nintendo DS, which has sold 200,000 units so far in Germany, are not regarded as a self-contained source of income, but as a catalyst, to sell more games.

The sentence gets misread easy...

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
kia said:
wow

25% of the DS owners bought Nintendogs in the first eight days.

Keep in mind that the nintendogs pack is already being sold here. I think this makes up a good chunk of it (which of course is good for the hardware numbers too). So it's probably less than that.

Farmboy said:

"It was if thousands of fanboy voices all cried out at once and were then silenced"

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
MrPing1000 said:
"It was if thousands of fanboy voices all cried out at once and were then silenced"

:lol

Seriously though, just the other day I was wondering if this was exactly what Nintendo would do (or not do).

Xellotah

Are the "official" specs that important?

I doubt many gamers know or care about the exact specs of the PS2, GC and XBox ( outside of the forums of course )

Btw. Merrick in the article said that they have sold about 1.5 million DS' in Europe and plan to sell another 1.5 million till the end of the year (the sentence is a bit unclear, it could also mean that they wanna sell another 3 million units till the end of the year, but imho this would be way too much).

Redbeard

Banned
Jim Merrick said:
The problem of the industry according to Merrick: "An average person today can't make head or tails of a video game." Instead of the usual input devices (controllers), Nintendo would be focussing on a sort of remote device similar to TV remotes average people are used to.

This is such a load of crap. Has he looked at a standard TV remote lately? There are more buttons and functions on a remote than on two game controllers combined, yet somehow my 90 year-old grandfather manages to use it.

The barrier isn't the controller itself, it's finding an experience that's relevant to the "average person".

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Redbeard said:
This is such a load of crap. Has he looked at a standard TV remote lately? There are more buttons and functions on a remote than on two game controllers combined, yet somehow my 90 year-old grandfather manages to use it.

The barrier isn't the controller itself, it's finding an experience that's relevant to the "average person".

How many buttons does the average person use on their remotes? Channel up/down, volume up/down, power, play & stop. Woooooo...welcome to the world of tomorrow!

FACT remains there are still *way* more non-gamers than gamers. FACT remains that more people are willing to pick up a TV remote than they are a game controller. That's the point of it's design.

Redbeard

Banned
DrGAKMAN said:
How many buttons does the average person use on their remotes? Channel up/down, volume up/down, power, play & stop. Woooooo...welcome to the world of tomorrow!

FACT remains there are still *way* more non-gamers than gamers. FACT remains that more people are willing to pick up a TV remote than they are a game controller. That's the point of it's design.

If the average person has no trouble looking past 20 buttons they don't need to use on their TV remotes they wouldn't have any trouble playing a game that only uses a few.

People aren't scared of controllers, they just don't give a crap about games. Having a controller that you wiggle around in the air isn't going to change anything.

Redbeard said:
If the average person has no trouble looking past 20 buttons they don't need to use on their TV remotes they wouldn't have any trouble playing a game that only uses a few.

People aren't scared of controllers, they just don't give a crap about games. Having a controller that you wiggle around in the air isn't going to change anything.

this your theory out , had a remote to you mother and see what she does with it, then hand your mothere a ps2 or xbox controller and see what she does with it.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
ThunderEmperor said:
this your theory out , had a remote to you mother and see what she does with it, then hand your mothere a ps2 or xbox controller and see what she does with it.

Exactly. I think he's confussing the "complexity vs simplicity" with what Nintendo is actually doing.

Yes, the Revolution's controller-remote has less buttons and overall is "less complex" looking, but it's also made this way 'cos the average person has no problem understanding or handling a remote. Give the average non-gamer a slim, simple, one-handed remote and they'll be more open to use it...give them a bulky, two-handed controller with more usable (yet undefinable) buttons, two sticks, two sets of shoulder buttons, etc, etc and you should notice how out of place they feel using it.

You're probably gonna pounce on that and say how Nintendo's Bruce Lee style set-up is more complex and setting up a sensor bar by the TV is complex, bla bla bla...but ignoring that stuff for a moment the remote, by itself, is VERY entry-level for non-gamers. And as they grow more accustomed to the remote and games that just use it, they'll be more open to other ways to game, wether it's with the analog attachment, normal shell, or whatever other interface is introduced.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
cybamerc said:
Revolution will come with 512 MB of built-in flash RAM. That's actually more storage than you can count on an Xbox 360 user having.

But not for MMORPGs since it's fairly certain the Premium HDD will be a requirement to play them. For other games it is good to have this bit of storage space though obviously.

jarrod

Banned
Willy Wanka said:
But not for MMORPGs since it's fairly certain the Premium HDD will be a requirement to play them. For other games it is good to have this bit of storage space though obviously.
If PSP manages to get MMORPGs (which it is) I don't see what's holding Revolution back?

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
jarrod said:
If PSP manages to get MMORPGs (which it is) I don't see what's holding Revolution back?

Well nothing as far as I can tell. I was only disagreeing with cybermerc's remark that the Revolution will actually have more storage than an Xbox 360 in relation to MMORPGs. I think we are bound to see some MMORPGs on the Revolution at some point.

phantomile co. said:
i missed the part where he's being bold. these are all things that Nintendo has been saying for quite some time now.

Same things that were said before the GameCube came out. And look how that went.

Squeak

Redbeard said:
That's because those buttons are grouped into logical clusters/arrays. Like numerical for channels, AV adjustment and so on.
And also, just as important, they have a fixed function. They don't change with every program you watch.
I bet if you asked your average 50-100 year-old person, they wouldn't know how to go into a OSD and change the TVs more advanced settings.

shpankey

not an idiot
quadriplegicjon said:
it was one of the first things announced about the rev. internal flash memory of at least 512mb in every system.. im guessing the console is going to be closely integrated with their online network. kinda like the 360.
i know i'm outta the loop here in regards to anything Nintendo, but are you sure you mean 512mb? as in Megabytes? or do you mean k as i suspect? as in kilobytes? having half a gig of flashable ram is cRaZy, especially for conservative Nintendo.

this leads me to a similar question, anyone know how much ram the ps3 will have? total? last i heard it was 256mb, but i read someone say the other day that the ram on ps3 and x360 were equal, which would mean it has 512mb (?). just curious here.

shpankey said:
i know i'm outta the loop here in regards to anything Nintendo, but are you sure you mean 512mb? as in Megabytes? or do you mean k as i suspect? as in kilobytes? having half a gig of flashable ram is cRaZy, especially for conservative Nintendo.

this leads me to a similar question, anyone know how much ram the ps3 will have? total? last i heard it was 256mb, but i read someone say the other day that the ram on ps3 and x360 were equal, which would mean it has 512mb (?). just curious here.

Yes, PS3 has 512 mb of ram.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
shpankey said:

i wasnt sure anymore. so i checked it out::

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000667043658/

Downloadable to 512MB of flash memory.

shpankey

not an idiot
wow, impressive. and that is used as/like a built in HDD? it's not for the system (graphics, sound, etc.)?

monkeyrun

shpankey said:
wow, impressive. and that is used as/like a built in HDD? it's not for the system (graphics, sound, etc.)?
if they use flash mem for Graphics/sound/etc the flash Ram will be dead in a year for heavy gamers.

heidern

Yeah, the primary purpose is to facilitate the download service. N64 games on the high end are 32-64MBs which would net you 15 or 20 games. As well as that some downloadable content and game saves will also be used. I doubt they'd use it in lieu of RAM. So half a gig is really on the low end of what would be practicle. The thing is, it is expandable by SD cards. In a year I imagine you'd be able to pick up a gigabyte SD card as low as $15-$20. Obviously they'll also get cheaper, so in terms of replacing a HDD it isn't too bad an idea really.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Willy Wanka said:
But not for MMORPGs since it's fairly certain the Premium HDD will be a requirement to play them.
That's really for the developer to decide. My point is that Revolution is the only next-gen system (so far) which you can count on having some kind of mass storage.

People use remote controls because they are pretty well forced to. That is how they gained acceptance and that is why people know how to use them. I'd also say that a run of the mill TV or VCR remote is far more confusing than a game controller as remotes are mostly non standard and come in all shapes and sizes.

Regardless, plastic casing shaped like a TV remote or a game controller the thing is still a game controller and each game requires a memory of what button does what. It isn't like someone is going to turn on whatever game and instantly know what to do with what is in their hands just because. They will still have to go through the motions of learning what the game they are about to play is about and how to play it effectively.

I stand by what I always said, people who have, will, or do play games now play them because they are already instituted in gaming. The others are not and have no interest. My mother, my aunts and uncles, etc will never play games no matter what the controller looks like or how friendly they think it is. As well, those who are willing to play a game will not go out to a store and buy a Rev or even a hand held. They will use what they already have available (such as a PC or mobile phone) as the sorts of experiences they desire are generally simplistic and available to them.

Warm Machine said:
Regardless, plastic casing shaped like a TV remote or a game controller the thing is still a game controller and each game requires a memory of what button does what. It isn't like someone is going to turn on whatever game and instantly know what to do with what is in their hands just because. They will still have to go through the motions of learning what the game they are about to play is about and how to play it effectively.
I think you're about half right there. The motion sensing ability, if those who got to try the controller are to be believed, was designed to be intuitive. Let's say that we had the same "fly the plane through the hoops game" on a Rev controller vs. any other controller. Any gamer would instinctevly know which thumb stick to use on any of the current-gen controllers to guide the plane, but Mr.Joe-Casual would take awhile. Hand him the rev controller, and tell him that wherever he moves the controller in his hand moves the plane in game, and he's left to his own skill/hand-eye corrdination to play the game, not messing with the thumbsticks. A very simplified example, i'm sure, but I think this'll be the case.

Cosmozone

Sorry about the bad translation, I'm not too good at these. On that "Hope that Revolution will be cheaper than xbox360", this is clearly the most strange statement in the article. I'm mostly inclined to think that Merrick either has no clue about this topic or he didn't really want to say that. Sounds as if the Revolution would be pricey.

Thanks to Amir0x for posting the article

Better translation by falafelkid of nintendo-revolution.blogspot.com. he is german and did the translation himself.

"Nintendo is an entertainment company. We do not own movie studios. Neither are we hardware manufacturers. The ´Revolution´ may be able to play back movies on DVD - but that is not an important feature for us. We offer good interactive entertainment instead. That is not a question of hardware or power, though. All that is irrelevant. Only the games matter," says Merrick.

Microsoft may also be pursuing the strategy of widening the target audience, "but we see nothing of that - they still produce the same games, which are perfected only with a particular target group in mind. We prefer to take a step back in order to widen the target audience," says Merrick. "The average person today cannot relate to a videogame. (...) If you picture a videogamer nowadays, it is a pale juvenile who drinks Cola and eats crisps. That should not be so."

"The youngest gamers are four to five years old. We will not abandon our market share in this demographic. But we will try to score with the older target groups. In Japan, games which exercise your brain are very popular with people around 35 and older. Those are not the kind of people you would call videogamers," says Merrick.

"We are well aware that the game market is price-sensitive, especially when trying to reach a mass market. I very much hope the ´Revolution´ will cost less than the Xbox360´s 400 Euro," says Merrick. The new Microsoft console was only expensive because of, for instance, its support of high-definition television (HDTV). "But only few people can put that to use. We will not do that," says Merrick.

"Nintendo will also establish an online community. But we do not want to make the mistake of charging for such a service first, and only later make it worth the consumer´s while. With our portable console Nintendo DS, we will choose a different path. Our online service, starting with the game ´Mario Kart´ in November, will be free to gamers. (...) With the Nintendo ´Revolution´, however, not all online games will be free of charge for users."

"We are not worried because of the Xbox. The offering will be limited and the type of games will not be appealing to all target groups. There will always be a group of tech-fans who will instantly buy the new console generation. But the mass market will not move in on the device - at least not, until they see what Sony and Nintendo have on offer next year. If our strategy of reaching a wider demographic takes hold, we have a very good chance of becoming market leader by the end of 2007," Merrick hopes.

Top Bottom