• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan: All future cross-gen titles, including God of War and GT7, will be $10 upgrades from PS4 to PS5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Concern

thread GIF

Sony giving it to their soldiers after lying about a free upgrade path.

Seen so many ifs, buts, and whataboutisms here and none of them directly address Sony lying to them again. Thats why you get what you deserve lol.

Duchess

Just decided to jump on Amazon UK, to see if they're listing the the physical copies yet. Yep, and it doesn't seem as though the price of PS5 games is putting people off just yet:

nNBdDif.png

I imagine it will slip to #172 in the next couple of days, but still ...

(edit: grammar)

Last edited:
Well, at least people can play the game on a PS4, at launch or whenever they get the game.

If they had really "believed in generations" the game would be PS5 exclusive, $70 and that's it. Isn't that what many people whining in here wanted?

i think it's an anti-consumer move. I really do. More so because many publishers are offering the upgrades for free. Sony offered a couple launch game upgrades for free, I don't know if they'll ever do that again. However, is it an obligation? Are they obligated to give you license to play 2 versions of a game just because others do it? No, they're not. It's their prerogative. Does it put them in a negative spotlight? Of course, it's very dumb, marketing-wise. And it doesn't express goodwill, it doesn't win back any either. And I think that's potentially harmful to their brand and the extra profit they could make with this pricing would hardly upset that. We shall see.

They need to sort this mess they have with their cross gen titles and upgrade paths. Most people don't know about this, they will simply buy the game for whatever console they own and current PS4 owners when they get a PS5 will simply play the game in BC mode and don't know any better.

Last edited:

Woggleman

Just decided to jump on Amazon UK, to see if they're listing the the physical copies yet. Yep, and it doesn't seem as though the price of PS5 games is putting people off just yet:

nNBdDif.png

I imagine it will slip to #172 in the next couple of days, but still ...

(edit: grammar)
A lot of people were looking forward to the game and most people accept that corporations are greedy and money hungry. I despise Jeff Bezos yet I still shop on Amazon. It is impossible to be a completely ethical consumer.

Quick question: has anyone confirmed the performance/tech features of the game in its different versions?

I just thought MAYBE it isn't as bad as we think? I mean, there's a PlayStation 4 Pro version. It is unlikely the game would have an unlocked framerate mode for PS4 Pro (the first game didn't), but they did patch the first game for PS5. Who's to say they can't have the option for unlocked framerate for PS4 Pro and when played on PS5 via BC mode the game runs 60fps at 1080p. It's not ideal, but unless it's confirmed there's no unlocked framerate for PS4 Pro there's still hope that version can at least be 60fps or close to it on PS5.

Jack Uzi

Banned

"Additionally, we know that the PS4 community will transition to PS5 at different times, and we’re happy to announce PS4 versions of some of our exclusives. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West will also launch on PS4. While these three games were designed to take advantage of PS5 and its unique next-gen features like the ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense controller, PS4 owners will also be able to enjoy these experiences when they launch. The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive."

They literally said it lol
That PS5 launch window is huge.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Esppiral

Yeah, you can do Xbox one to a PC, you can't do Xbox Series consoles to PC or Xbox Series console to Xbox One console yet but that's the former is in the roadmap.

p.s customary annoyance that you can remote play tetris effect on ps4 but you can't do it on xbox for some unknown reason.

Yes you can ;)

Sygma

So its 80$ for two versions ? sounds ok to me, dont see why you should have the possibility to upgrade for free from ps4 to 5, or for 10$ which effectively gives you two versions of the game, at the actual retail price for ps5 customers. 80 is good for two

Last edited:

Jose92

[Membe
So its 80$ for two versions ? sounds ok to me, dont see why you should have the possibility to upgrade for free from ps4 to 5, or for 10$ which effectively gives you two versions of the game, at the actual retail price for ps5 customers. 80 is good for two
its the same game compiled for two different platforms, pricing the ps5 game for $10 more for exactly the same game with upgraded graphics and dual senses features is wank and scummy.

And this coming from someone who have a ps5

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
They've turned into EA. You need Gold edition (£89.99) or Ultimate edition (£109.99) for cross-gen shit on Battlefield 2042.
Standard versions PS4 (£59.99 - should have an option for £10 to upgrade) & PS5 (£69.99 - This one should have both).
Prices in GBP are even worse than in EUR : /

It doesn;t matter. You are REQUIRE to have the ps4 disc inside the system to launch the ps5

This could of been avoided if they just would if made Horizon exclusive to PS5. Judging by this unnecessary mess, they probably should of just did that. Am I hearing this correctly? No upgrade path from PS4 to PS5 is very strange or even suspicious considering a healthy majority of last generation games have that feature for free or even for a fee.

Concern

This could of been avoided if they just would if made Horizon exclusive to PS5. Judging by this unnecessary mess, they probably should of just did that. Am I hearing this correctly? No upgrade path from PS4 to PS5 is very strange or even suspicious considering a healthy majority of last generation games have that feature for free or even for a fee.

There's a path, its just not free. You have to buy the $79.99 edition of the game for it to include the Ps5 version.

EDMIX

Playstation 4 version :

Yeah Nintendo should have made the switch run WiiU discs too.

Yet Cross buy existed for PS3,PS4, PSP, PSVita etc yet all of those don't just share the same disk or something....

Why did you ignore digital exist for Wii U and Switch and that is where they could have had a free version for buying another version?

Soooo that is how cross buy worked with PS systems, I see no reason why that wouldn't work with Wii U to Switch, I have no clue why you tried to fucking ignore that to force a narrative and pretend it was just sooooo impossible lol

But shit, you going to ignore BOTH versions exist digitally? Whats next? Nintendo has no control over their own network, own titles and has no control over their company, you needed "disc" to make a free digital version or? So no one gave a shit about that with BoTW bud, this sounds forced as fuck as everyone already understood that you can just buy a different version based on the system you own or will buy etc, I don't recall all of this "where is the upgrade path for BoTW?" or "durrrr where is the FREE VERSION of BoTW?" The fuck? lol

Last edited:

EDMIX

its the same game compiled for two different platforms, pricing the ps5 game for $10 more for exactly the same game with upgraded graphics and dual senses features is wank and scummy.

And this coming from someone who have a ps5

Nah, thats like saying you are mad you can't get a free version of BF4 for PS4 if you buy the PS3 version and then get mad at them taking advantage of the PS4 and XONE and be like "features like 60fps and 64 players online for $10 more is wank and or scummy"

I don't know man, you think the point was to NOT use the new systems features? Oh make it cheaper? Make less money? So sir, they are not "the same game" if you can state something like "dual sense features" and "Upgraded graphics"

Sooooo when I got a PS4 to play BF4, I could give 2 shits about a PS3 version, that wasn't the system I was getting it for.... why would I then fucking want LESS features and for them to not take advantage of the new system? The fuck? lol How does that help me?

So ima do JUST like how I did with PS3 to PS4... if the game exist on both, I'm ignoring the last gen version, I don't give a fuck about upgrade paths as I have no plan to play those titles on last gen systems and don't see a reason to own both, I didn't for BF4 and I still fucking play PS3 titles and have a whole collection of titles, but why on Earth would I bother with certain titles that exist on BOTH that are better on PS4? I simply will play it on PS4 and move on.

Same with this situation, I'll just play stuff like BF2042 and Horizon on PS5, even if you gave me a FREE path, I don't see the point of wasting that time on the worst version of titles I might put 100 hours into, why the fuck would I put 100 hours TWICE into some shit? I'll wait to get a hold of a PS5 and move on.

Thats it.

This isn't that big of a deal and I don't even understand why someone who owns a PS5, would want less fucking features and a extra copy to have the worst version on PS4, when they have a PS5.... it doesn't even make sense lol

Cool, again I don't see the issue

Agreed. We've seen cross gen titles before and most times, they have zero upgrade path, I don't see what the big deal is as why the fuck would someone want the worst version? Why would I want 2 copies of supposedly the "same game"? lol Nah, I want the best version, I'll play it on next gen and move on. Only certain IP I'm ok with playing the last gen version of if I don't really care that much about the difference or something, but titles like BF, I put literally hundreds of hours in and I want the best version and Horizion being one of my favorite new IP last gen, I want the best version. I won't waste time with the PS4 version, even for free as my time isn't fucking free lol

ManaByte

Gold Member

I also want to confirm today that moving forward, PlayStation first-party exclusive cross-gen titles (newly releasing on PS4 & PS5)–both digital and physical*–will offer a $10 USD digital upgrade option from PS4 to PS5. This will apply to the next God of War and Gran Turismo 7, and any other exclusive cross-gen PS4 & PS5 title published by Sony Interactive Entertainment.

— Jim Ryan, President & CEO, Sony Interactive Entertainment

skit_data

Good to get some clarification. They should’ve had this policy stated from the start.

You may hate it or not agree with it, but at least now there is an actual policy, not the flimsy case by case one that seemed to exist before.

skit_data

DeepSpace5D

It was the right move to make. It has to be the same price and process across the board for all first-party games. Having different prices and methods of upgrade per game is too confusing to the average consumer.

I don’t know how they didn’t figure this out by the launch of the PS5 to be honest.

Last edited:
Paid upgrades are still anti consumer given where the industry is at. It’s a situation of putting in a shitty as policy and pulling it back so your last shitty policy looks better. Make upgrades free, charge for DLC…ggs

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
See? Some backlash can go a long way.

Notice how they carefully worded it this time for Gow, gt, etc lol.
And transparency is great. It forces them to PR more info, especially for stating God of War is cross gen. Going by the various threads today about the backtrack, some people didn't even know God of War is coming to PS4 too. But now they know.

envyzeal

Stil a bad move, but at least they sent a clear message. Good to see that this was addressed before the Showcase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom