• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterling Goes Independent

Decider

Are people really comfortable with games writers leaving paid jobs to have their content crowdfunded every month? How many writers could that system realistically support in the long-term?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
What is Patreon about anyways? I keep hearing my favorite game columnists talk about it.

Think of it like ongoing Kickstarter, sort of. Basically its a way to directly continuously fund content creators. For example I chip in $9 for my favorite Lets Play team (well and now this)

Corpekata

Banned
Are people really comfortable with games writers leaving paid jobs to have their content crowdfunded every month? How many writers could that system realistically support in the long-term?

I really doubt it'll be a big industry shift. The only people that are going to be able to do it are video focused people where their brand is the star. Random IGN writer X is going to be staying put.

So, yes, it won't support many people, and that's not really a bad thing.

Zaku

What is Patreon about anyways? I keep hearing my favorite game columnists talk about it.

Basically, you pay a small, monthly fee for shit you like to see.

Say, $3 a month to see Jim Sterling continue to be Jim Sterling.

Which I just did!

SyOSnDF.png

Essentially, Patreon is a direct feed between content creator and audience. You like content, you pay an installment fee decided by the content creator: A daily fee, weekly fee, monthly fee, or a "per video, per article, per whatever" fee.

Content creator produces content, audience pays cash dollars for the content they enjoy.

Good on ya, Sterling.

z1ggy

Best of luck and i really hope he gets a bigger audience. One of the few people in pay attention in the gaming world.

Thank God for Jim.

I'll definitely be in for supporting Jim in his quest to shine a light on shitty practices, now completely unfiltered and not associated with any other sites. I think this is a great idea.

What about it makes you uncomfortable?

If the writer does it a shit job or turns out to be misogynistic or racist or otherwise an asshole, people will stop supporting them. If they prove themselves worthy of an audience then they'll get paid.

Are you worried that everyone is going to be doing this or something? What does it matter?

dmr87

Question, can we expect all your older Jimquisitions to be on your channel or do they belong to The Escapist?

Dryk

Dude I will so listen to a Jim Sterling podcast.
There are already hundreds upon hundreds of hours of Jim Sterling podcast. Admittedly it's mostly hitting on Jonathan Holmes and talking about Willem Dafoe sticking food up his butt but it's there if you dare listen to it. It'll be interesting to see if he can actually keep on topic in this one.

Ozium

Jim Fucking Sterling, the king of hating on Steam Greenlight and Early Access now offers his fans a chance to give him money for an unfinished product and promises?

#intellectualdishonesty

Thank God for Jim. There's no one I trust more to articulately speak on the issues facing the industry. Plus he's entertaining as hell! Good luck Jim!

Mononoke

Banned
One of the best. One of the few people in media I respect and like listening to.

EDIT: Lol posting on your phone is not a good idea. Fixed all them typos!

Nokterian

Basically, you pay a small, monthly fee for shit you like to see.

Say, $3 a month to see Jim Sterling continue to be Jim Sterling.

Which I just did!

SyOSnDF.png

Essentially, Patreon is a direct feed between content creator and audience. You like content, you pay an installment fee decided by the content creator: A daily fee, weekly fee, monthly fee, or a "per video, per article, per whatever" fee.

Content creator produces content, audience pays cash dollars for the content they enjoy.

Good on ya, Sterling.

Done and done he also get 3 bucks from me :)

Ozium

Being paid for the promise of work, as opposed to being paid for work that has been done. Then again, funding will dry up if that work doesn't live up to expectations, as you say.

what's hypocritical about this is that this is one of the thing Jim rails on about in regards to early access on steam...

what a tosspot

Dryk

Being paid for the promise of work, as opposed to being paid for work that has been done. Then again, funding will dry up if that work doesn't live up to expectations, as you say.
Well the way Patreon is set up the money is taken a month after you pledge it and can be cancelled any time. So you could view it as commissioning that month's work.

Can you get Jonathon Holmes on your podcast or would that cramp your style too much? You and he had a good rapport together.
Honestly I think if Jonathon ended up on a gaming podcast where Jim actually talked about games he'd implode.

Zaku

Question, can we expect all your older Jimquisitions to be on your channel or do they belong to The Escapist?

While a DVD collection wouldn't go amiss, otherwise I don't really care as a fan.

Jim's had his hooks in me since back in the Destructoid days (meteorscrap says hello, Jim!), so if I have to watch his old content on old content providers, fine.

Though... I still say he was way too fucking harsh on CDF: Ghost Ship in Squirty Plays. At least the creators of that tried to establish tension. A decade or so back, and it'd have been a top contender for a horror game in the state it's in now.

I'll throw some money your way, Jim F. Sterlingson. I used to call you the village idiot of games journalism and I feel badly about that. You've come a long way since then.

Can you get Jonathon Holmes on your podcast or would that cramp your style too much? You and he had a good rapport together.

Cleve

I'm glad to send a little money Jim's way. I've never really done the Patreon thing before and I'm pretty blown away at how much money some people make off of it without even providing content.

Still best of luck to Jim, I hope he makes this work. We need more voices that aren't afraid of backlash from the publishers that essentially pay their bills.

Zaku

I'll throw some money your way, Jim F. Sterlingson. I used to call you the village idiot of games journalism and I feel badly about that. You've come a long way since then.

I would pay seventy-bajillion dollars if the ol' Destructoid crew could get back together for an independent podcast, even once.

Or, like, five bucks.

Whatever.

what's hypocritical about this is that this is one of the thing Jim rails on about in regards to early access on steam...

what a tosspot
A) I "rail on" broken games that are misrepresented before sale being sold on Early Access. I have, in fact, highly praised several good Early Access games, such as Nekro.

B) The Jimquisition is not exactly an unproven product. I've produced over 200 episodes of the show to date and have been one of the hardest workers in the industry. It's not as if you can't see how much work I put in.

C) I don't need a C, because A and B were awesome.

To everyone else: Thank you for the support. GAF's been really good to me for the past couple years, and the positivity here is helping curb my panic attack. :)

Camjo-Z

what a tosspot

What's hypocritical? When you're paying for an early access game you don't know what you're getting into until the game is finished. With this, there's already plenty of Jimquisition episodes for people to check out, so if you like it and want to see more then you can fund it, and if they don't live up to your liking then you can just cancel.

Good for him.

Jim, take some of that Patreon money and buy some new gloves. Driving gloves, maybe with holes cut in the knuckles, even. There's a look you're obviously going for, and it's not "It's kind of cold in my office."

GhaleonEB

I'll go in for a few bucks a month. We need more strong independent voices, and there isn't anyone like Jim except Jim.

Jim Sterling said:
Thank God for you.

And Thank God for me.

There are no strings on me.

Jim confirmed to be a sentient psychotic creation of Tony Stark. Somehow I'm not surprised...

Also, glad to see him working 100% independently.

Top Bottom