• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterling rumor: Deus Ex MD sequel in development [Up: Schreier says probably not]

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I would not be surprised if S-E took a look at the sales of Prey and just threw in the towel altogether. I don't know what's changed in the years since Human Revolution and Dishonored 1, but sales in this genre have just tanked.

Well for both Prey and Deus Ex MD, a lot of potential sales were sabotaged by the inept decisions of their parent companies, and the games suffered as a result. They won't acknowledge it was their fuckery but both SE's shit tier preorder hijinx and subsequent delay and Bethesda's shit review copy policy hamstrung both games. In neither case can they say they put everything behind those games to make them succeed and the public just didn't care. Both were essentially sent out to die.

MrS

Banned
I don't think this is true. As far as I know, Eidos Montreal is currently working on Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Guardians of the Galaxy as well as helping out with Crystal Dynamics' projects.
Schreier with the revelations

lcap

I don't think this is true. As far as I know, Eidos Montreal is currently working on Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Guardians of the Galaxy as well as helping out with Crystal Dynamics' projects.

200.gif

Kyoufu

Square Enix is the only one to blame here. Burned so many people on this "Augment your Preorder" bullshit.

I don't think that was the reason why it sold poorly. It wasn't marketed well here in UK. Heck, my friends thought it was a remaster of the last gen game.

Also the game isn't very good so I doubt word of mouth was strong either.

Gator86

You're a monster. Well, not really, but SE is a awful fucking publisher and I hope the Eidos studios escape at some point.

Budi

I wish SE would sell this IP to Bethesda. Better there than here, dead.

How dare you, if they wouldn't sell the studio aswell. Please no, never, don't do it! I don't want Deus Ex to go the route of Fallout. The nerve on some people.

I don't think that was the reason why it sold poorly. It wasn't marketed well here in UK. Heck, my friends thought it was a remaster of the last gen game.

Also the game isn't very good so I doubt word of mouth was strong either.

So it would still point the finger at Square Enix. And the game isn't "good" now? You must have incredibly high bar if that game can't even be considered good.

I would not be surprised if S-E took a look at the sales of Prey and just threw in the towel altogether. I don't know what's changed in the years since Human Revolution and Dishonored 1, but sales in this genre have just tanked.

I recall HR and Dishonored (and Bioshock) getting a fair bit of marketing. Not so much for MD and Prey.

Kinyou

It would make sense to not entirely scrap the sequel if they were already working on it parallel to MD.

But also sounds like it's unlikely

Harmen

The way they just gave us half a story in MD was fucked. They could at least finish via DLC or something

Honestly, I'd take a 30 dollar standalone DLC-esque type of game consisting of a couple of missions and a shortened climax of the series. I recall reading Mankind Divided was set to be much, much bigger and they were already well into working at it's sequel, so I assume they have a lot of material lying around already.

But I think we will never see it, unfortunately. By the time this series comes back (if that even happens), it will be a reboot or remake.

Kyoufu

So it would still point the finger at Square Enix. And the game isn't "good" now? You must have incredibly high bar if that game can't even be considered good.

Level design was superb and the gameplay seemed a bit more fluid and varied than HR but it was still janky in that sense. The story and writing was absolute nonsense. It did a poor job of making me care about anything. I don't think it's a bad game but I don't think it's something that absolutely needs a sequel for great justice.

Sotha_Sil

I recall HR and Dishonored (and Bioshock) getting a fair bit of marketing. Not so much for MD and Prey.

Prey didn't even get gameplay at E3. Think about that for a second. They had the initial CGI reveal trailer at E3 2016, a total of about 2 minutes, and it released a month before E3 2017.

What other major release had similar (lack of) marketing at E3?

Buntabox

How was MD's DLC? I loved the game and played it twice at launch. Even dipped into Breach a bit trying to get the Platinum (never could devote enough time to it). Will be a damn shame if we never get a finale for Adam.

The art design and world were some of my favorite things about HR and MD. Very strong sense of internal self. Even if no real life society would ever reach such a level of cohesion in design. The color palletes and use of specific shapes gave it such a strong identity. Love it. I'm gonna be real sad not to see it return.

Budi

Level design was superb and the gameplay seemed a bit more fluid and varied than HR but it was still janky in that sense. The story and writing was absolute nonsense. It did a poor job of making me care about anything. I don't think it's a bad game but I don't think it's something that absolutely needs a sequel for great justice.

Hmm I thought there was some good writing in some of the side quests atleast. I do agree that the main story doesn't really stand out in it's quality, it is pretty forgettable. But people are still clearly thirsty for story continuation and it hinted some interesting leads, so even on story perspective I think sequel would be welcomed rather than a reboot in the far future. Or in worst case, killing the series. It should also live for being a high budget immersive sim and cyberpunk themed. Don't have enough either of those.

StereoVsn

Well for both Prey and Deus Ex MD, a lot of potential sales were sabotaged by the inept decisions of their parent companies, and the games suffered as a result. They won't acknowledge it was their fuckery but both SE's shit tier preorder hijinx and subsequent delay and Bethesda's shit review copy policy hamstrung both games. In neither case can they say they put everything behind those games to make them succeed and the public just didn't care. Both were essentially sent out to die.
Deus Ex also had Microtransactions, PC port issues, the game was cut into multiple parts with only Part 1 surfacing after a long dev cycle and finally the game was too much like HR but had a feeling of a smaller and more limited game due to single hub. The word of mouth was not nearly as good.

It's also not just SE's fault. The game took a looong time to develop and the result was somewhat underwhelming.

Well if they ever do bring it back, I hope they stop fucking with it by cutting it in half and shoving microtransaction modes and dumbass pre-order schemes in it.

_woLf

I just can't get into MD no matter how hard I try. I think its the setting...it could not be more uninteresting to me compared to where we went in HR.

OBias

How dare you, if they wouldn't sell the studio aswell. Please no, never, don't do it! I don't want Deus Ex to go the route of Fallout. The nerve on some people.

I wish SE would not do what you ask. It undoubtedly means Deus Ex going the way of Fallout 4 (no RPG, no story) and it would actually be better dead in that case.

Bethesda owns Arkane, and Arkane is the best developer to entrust with Deus Ex, as Dishonored and Prey proved.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Sounds to me like they were planning a sequel but then Square Enix got those Marvel contracts so Deus Ex got shelved.

MD underperforming probably didnt help. I saw it for $15 at EB yesterday, its been out for less than a year.

Eusis

I wish SE would not do what you ask. It undoubtedly means Deus Ex going the way of Fallout 4 (no RPG, no story) and it would actually be better dead in that case.
On the other hand, if they got it then handed it to Arkane we might have something amazing. Or at least more worthy of the Deus Ex name than something that followed Bethesda Game Studios frustrating trajectory.

EDIT: And yeah, I kind of imagine we might've still gotten it had SE not gotten the Marvel licenses. That instead probably ended up being a "forget it, dump what you're doing and get to work on THIS" situation.

I hope it will still come back somehow, someday... but not if it's just the brand put on some random action game stripped from its RPG and emerging gameplay elements

Top Bottom