• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterlings PS4 Top Ten(MS PR wont talk to him?)

unbias

companies go to great efforts to increase metacritic points, as highly reviewed games get more attention. cutting out a reviewer who has the ability to drop games scores by actually using the full scale and not bowing to manufactured prestige is probably much cheaper than throwing fancy events and buttering them up with pr or buying them a vanity documentary

Sure, but ignoring him in regards to embargo's isnt really going to change that. Seems like they are "letting him know what's up", from the outside looking in. Kind of like a play ball or else.

Mondy

Banned
If MS are blacklisting journalists who call them out on their bullshit then I am more than relieved that I am not buying their products.

Costia

companies go to great efforts to increase metacritic points, as highly reviewed games get more attention. cutting out a reviewer who has the ability to drop games scores by actually using the full scale and not bowing to manufactured prestige is probably much cheaper than throwing fancy events and buttering them up with pr or buying them a vanity documentary
He is going to review the games anyway. How is ignoring him going to help?
I think that they are just too busy with the more mainstream sites/journalists right now.

unbias

I think that they are just too busy with the more mainstream sites/journalists right now.

I doubt they are so busy communicating to IGN/Gameinformer that they couldnt contact a pretty well known media person. I dont think I, personally, would buy that excuse at all if I was Jim.

Not sure why people are saying Microsoft is blacklisting reviewers.
Sounds like his site already has the reviews written and ready to go, as well as access to the embargo information.

QaaQer

Sure, but ignoring him in regards to embargo's isnt really going to change that. Seems like they are "letting him know what's up", from the outside looking in. Kind of like a play ball or else.

It will be interesting to see if Jim's approach changes with his new job. I hope not, but it would be hard to be a reviews editor if none of your guys could get advance copies for those day one review hits.

Not sure why people are saying Microsoft is blacklisting reviewers.
Sounds like his site already has the reviews written and ready to go, as well as access to the embargo information.

read the op.

read the op.
Thanks, I did. That's where I read all his tweets.
He's already reviewed the games, and knows how to find the embargo info.
Not sure how he's being blacklisted. If he was blacklisted, MS wouldn't have let him have access to review copies of the games.

oh god, can we please not parse numerical reviews scores in an attempt to discredit someone.
I'm not, sorry. I quickly edited my post to indicate 1) it was a person anecdote and 2) it has nothing to do with this topic.

Empty

because a negative jim sterling review means a lot less later after ign and polgyon have crowned it a masterpiece than it does coming at the same time when everyone is checking out the reception and looking at xbone metacritics.

i might be getting this completely wrong though. i'll admit. that's just what came to mind when i hear that they're messing with embargoes for a divisive reviewer. they want the launch to go as smoothly as possible.

Heysoos

Not trying to excuse MS or anything, but if he's getting the games and he's reviewing them, how exactly is he being ignored? What am I missing?

dreamfall

Sterling bringing the integrity.

Good or bad review, he writes with enough clarity that I always take away something about the game- more so than the usual drivel and general praise a game gets no. Here's hoping the reliance on numbers doesn't get PR too offended!

QaaQer

because a negative jim sterling review means a lot less later after ign and polgyon have crowned it a masterpiece than it does coming at the same time when everyone is checking out the reception and looking at xbone metacritics.

i might be getting this completely wrong though. i'll admit. that's just what came to mind when i hear that they're messing with embargoes for a divisive reviewer. they want the launch to go as smoothly as possible.

I think I would go so far to say he would be unable to do his job as reviews editor if he couldn't get advanced copies for his guys. That's a lot of power to have over someone.

unbias

Not trying to excuse MS or anything, but if he's getting the games and he's reviewing them, how exactly is he being ignored? What am I missing?

PR isn't talking to him. That is what he is talking about. I'm assuming that is more of a concern now that he is in-charge of everything there.

Companies protecting investments, to them, this individual is unpredictable, could fuck with the bottom line, and could cost them the most important thing in the universe, money.

People get killed for a lot less amount of money involved. I can guarantee you all, with the amount of hard cash flowing about in this industry, it's going to be shady as all hell.

If you play nice, maybe you get a cut off of the top of the marketing allocated funds, else you can just kindly fuck off from the circle of money, thank you.

In before major nelson asks to get in contact with him to clear this all up....

It seems to me like recently, the only way to get Microsoft to respond to an issue you have with them is to create a thread of GAF about it. Take a look at the Pier Solar thread for instance.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I like Jim, but he has some reviews that are just headscratchingly bad. Its not that he uses the whole 10pt scale, it's that he only chooses to use it as the whole scale certain times.

old

Supposing he's being serious. Why would MS PR need to talk to him for him to review it?

EDIT: so it sounds like he's not saying he won't review the XBO, but rather won't do a Top Ten XBO games of all time video because of embargos.

QaaQer

Supposing he's being serious. Why would MS PR need to talk to him for him to review it?

Review sites that need to make money absolutely have to have day one reviews with a numerical score. Having a huge player like MS blackball a reviews editor would mean fewer pre-release review copies which means less money for the owner(s) of the website, and probably the loss of a job for the editor. So 'greylisting' JS when he is just starting as a reviews editor is a pretty big message.

Fyrebrand

Neo Member
Seems like a fit to me. Pretty sure it's even posted on this forum when the embargo's of xbox 1 and the games lift so if we know then he knows.

unbias

Seems like a fit to me. Pretty sure it's even posted on this forum when the embargo's of xbox 1 and the games lift so if we know then he knows.

Again, if you read the twitter and watch the video its clear it isn't about the embargo dates, it is about PR talking to someone new who runs the escpaist games stuff.

Now this would have been entirely justifiable on Sony's part. They really should have done it.

If they'd done that, Gies would've had a public tantrum, while Polygon and a bunch of other sites would've packed a fit about it. I'm not sure that's a better option than just tolerating Gies' fanboy bullshit.

Jim Sterling? I don't think he's friends with enough influential people to actually make this a big deal, so those sites will just ignore it.

I don't see how not talking to him would help that situation. He's going to review it anyways.

by not talking to him those pr people are not responsible for the scores he gives. they're probably paid according to the metacritic average of the reviewers they massage

lol

Amir0x

Banned
Sony should have done this for that moron Gies.

Yeah, but unlike Sterling, this would make sense. Arthur Gies is an abominable human being and critic both whose inherent biases are so transparent as to make him practically see-through.

Sterling is... what? Extra harsh sometimes? Boo-fucking-hoo, game companies.

Fyrebrand

Neo Member
So you are saying MS PR gets paid for the meta critic of the reviews they "buy" yet Jim seems to be basically calling out to said PR people... or am I just not picking up what your putting down.

Serves him right for calling a spade a spade and not falling in-line with the industry standard of bipartisanship in fear of making judgement calls and pissing off fanboys and PR departments alike.

Sony should have done this for that moron Gies.

Come on man, doing something like that to a semi-known person can only backfire. I think they really regret blacklisting Kotaku back in the day.

Yeah, but unlike Sterling, this would make sense. Arthur Gies is an abominable human being and critic both whose inherent biases are so transparent as to make him practically see-through.

Come on, man. I don't care much for him and his work either but we should be better than this. Ad hominem attacks like this only makes it easier for people like Gies to dismiss GAF as an "angry Internet mob" when they get uncomfortable with the discussion going on here.

HariKari

Come on, man. I don't care much for him and his work either but we should be better than this. Ad hominem attacks like this only makes it easier for people like Gies to dismiss GAF as an "angry Internet mob" when they get uncomfortable with the discussion going on here.

This implies that Gies is somehow looking to have a reasonable discussion, either with GAF or other parties. That's not what he is about. Polygon has some terrific pieces, but it's propped up by all that is wrong with the industry, and that starts with Gies. Who the fuck openly whines about not wanting to review a game (Killzone) on twitter, then goes on to give it an expected bad score? Gies, that's who. There's no attempt at professionalism, so he should be given no quarter in reasonable circles.

He has said some very negative things about Xbox over the past few months but they should man up and deal with it. He has a right to his opinion.

Top Bottom