• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Rogan breaks record for most powerful strike ever

Romulus

Joe has that explosiveness though that's mostly genetic. Very dangerous to defend against, especially in tandem with fakes.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's kinda hard to figure out but it seems they are comparing his kick to their punches. Not exactly surprising.

O-N-E

169.png

Romulus

I feel like Joe said on a cast that its not really a comparison as he is kicking.

He beat top-level fighters that also kicked though. Francis and other guys chose to punch when given the opportunity. Some big guys just can't generate a lot of force with kicks because of their anatomy. They can do it of course, just not always like shorter, more athletic guys.

Last edited:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Wow. He made a good point about how healthy people in their 50s can be these days with advancements in science when talking to Tyson. We're at the thin edge of the wedge as TRT, stem cell therapy, and a slew of other treatments that are still in their infancy. Just give it a few decades when doctors have that tech down pat and the prices have come down such that almost anyone can get it. There are going to be some very healthy 50+ year olds out there.

daveonezero

Banned
He beat top-level fighters that also kicked though. Francis and other guys chose to punch when given the opportunity. Some big guys just can't generate a lot of force with kicks because of their anatomy. They can do it of course, just not always like shorter, more athletic guys.
yeah I understand that,. Its also his technique. It is impressive. I don't think its any less impressive. It proves that tae kwon do kicks are maybe the most powerful.

i would like to see a top fighter do the same technique but it would have to be someone who has been doing it for decades and mastered the move. Someone like Rogan. He is also built like a brick shit house. Super compact and can generate lots of torque. Its a timing thing on the leg extension and spin.

Romulus

yeah I understand that,. Its also his technique. It is impressive. I don't think its any less impressive. It proves that tae kwon do kicks are maybe the most powerful.

i would like to see a top fighter do the same technique but it would have to be someone who has been doing it for decades and mastered the move. Someone like Rogan. He is also built like a brick shit house. Super compact and can generate lots of torque. Its a timing thing on the leg extension and spin.

Yeah Joe just has the right combination of physical gifts and extensive training. Deadly combo.

Romulus

Wow. He made a good point about how healthy people in their 50s can be these days with advancements in science when talking to Tyson. We're at the thin edge of the wedge as TRT, stem cell therapy, and a slew of other treatments that are still in their infancy. Just give it a few decades when doctors have that tech down pat and the prices have come down such that almost anyone can get it. There are going to be some very healthy 50+ year olds out there.

I would say people into their late 60s can be very scary in 20 years from now. I work with some dudes that are on TRT in their early 60s. They workout, take care of themselves, and have the body of a serious gym rat in their late 30s. Pushing 315 on incline for reps.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Did he? I can only find one other recorded value for the powerkube on the net (and that is also a punch) except for the two in this article, one for joe's kick and one for the record punch, which I would guess could be handily beaten by a boxer.
Feel like this is mainly an ad for the powerkube.

Last edited:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I would say people into their late 60s can be very scary in 20 years from now. I work with some dudes that are on TRT in their early 60s. They workout, take care of themselves, and have the body of a serious gym rat in their late 30s. Pushing 315 on incline for reps.

Yup, and these are people that are pushing themselves a fair bit. Even when things inevitably trail off, these could be people comfortably doing 225 for reps in their 70s, and this isn't even taking into account whatever future discoveries come down the line that could complement TRT. This coupled with things like neuralink make for some pretty wild possibilities in the next 50 years.

eot

Banned
I find it hard to believe anyone in their 50's could be the best at something athletic like this, makes it seem more like a thing people don't seriously compete in. Not that he isn't fit for a 50 year old...

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm surprised it wasn't his spin side kick. Probably afraid to extend full force into a wall with that kick. But yeah, anyone who has ever done Tae Kwon Do as a kid knows Rogan has had more insane kicks than most pro fighters for years. He just has perfect form all the time.

They should take that machine to Thailand.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I find it hard to believe anyone in their 50's could be the best at something athletic like this, makes it seem more like a thing people don't seriously compete in. Not that he isn't fit for a 50 year old...
Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr are about to fight.

It's commonly said that power is the last thing you lose with age. You lose your agility first.

Romulus

There's two things. As you age, you further perfect things you did well in your earlier years. The other thing is there's something called, "old man strength." There's actually scientific evidence of it that some men get stronger into the 50s or even 60s health permitting.

Then you have things like TRT.

Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr are about to fight.

It's commonly said that power is the last thing you lose with age. You lose your agility first.
It is commonly said. It's also nonsense. One of those things that just gets repeated over and over. Respected boxing trainer Stephen Edwards:

It’s absurd to think power is the last thing to go on a fighter. KO% go down as fighters perform in their 30s. And not just because the competition level goes up. The ability to pull the trigger. The reaction time of seeing an opening and landing a hard shot dissipates. Every big hitter in history went through this as they stuck around. Not one kept koing fighters at the same rate.

I will give a few random examples.

Ali retired the first time at 29-0 with 23 kos. He comes back and goes 27-5 with 14kos. Ali was a very a good puncher in his early years. But when he lost his trigger pull and explosiveness the kos stopped coming.

Roberto Duran was 71-1 with 57 kos before the first Ray Leonard fight. He would score only 13 more kos in over 20 years of boxing.

A fighter can keep levels of strength as he ages. But the ability to score devastating kos changes as you get older. We are witnessing GGG go the distance on a regular basis over the last few years……..Hopefully in boxing these myths stop getting repeated.

Last edited:

GymWolf

His kicks are amazing but comparing kicks and punches is a joke, this people need to watch some toriko.

Top Bottom