• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Rogan goes full blown MRA; defends Trump, denies gender wage gap

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

surprise, joe rogan is a piece of shit

Eh. I wouldn't call him a POS. He seems like a very nice guy. He just has some pretty dumb opinions.

He also loves thinking aloud. That's the conceit of his podcast.

I'm fine with calling him an idiot or blowhard, but to categorize him as an alt right proponent is unfair.

Liberal groups are really going through this growing pains with online discourse. Everything seems black or white, for or against. This is same type of reasoning that leads to branding Rogan in this unfair light.

I've heard from dozens of friends and family members that the literal moment of their child's birth was the most life-altering moment of their lives. Why wouldn't this extend to your child's rights and your hopes for their lives?

Just because it extends to a person's child doesn't mean it suddenly extends to everyone else. That's why you have Republicans who let their daughters get abortions but say other women who do are going to hell. The idea that having a wife and daughters means that someone can't have problems with women in general is ridiculous.

You know what most MRA-types have? Mothers.

Eh. I wouldn't call him a POS. He seems like a very nice guy. He just has some pretty dumb opinions.

I'm fine with calling him an idiot or blowhard, but to categorize him as an alt right proponent is unfair.

Liberal groups are really going through this growing pains with online discourse. Everything seems black or white, for or against. This is same type of reasoning that leads to branding Rogan in this unfair light.

If you're going to go full stream of counsciousness, at least some some level of self deprecation to realize sometimes, you have brain farts. You don't double down on the stupidity. I mean, who really wants to listen someone talk to themselves?

Calderc

If you're going to go full stream of counsciousness, at least some some level of self deprecation to realize sometimes, you have brain farts. You don't double down on the stupidity. I mean, who really wants to listen someone talk to themselves?

He does this regularly. He calls himself dumb all the time. If you're gonna criticise, at least be correct about it.

Makai

So I'm listening to the video and it really is just a normal comedian conversation. Good luck watching Eddie Murphy Raw or Howard Stern if this bothered you.

The moment of truth is like:
"I read an article online that debunked the wage gap"
"Oh? I hadn't heard about that"

Reactionary commentary is like the bread and butter of standup comedians.

I'm sure he's a nice enough dude, but I wouldn't trust anyone speaking out poorly about the wage gap or gender who barely ever has women on his show. He's just coming from his usual "I think this, so it's right" place people like him are all about, because it usually means getting to say people different than you are wrong while people like you pay attention.

I definitely have no problem with his UFC work, he knows MMA and is a good color commentator.

Calderc

Most people don't need NDT to explain in person why that theory is crazy.

Neither did Joe, really. He says multiple times during that podcast that is what he *used* to think, and was having NDT go over the points he thought were fishy.

At no point in that episode does Joe start with a 'never happened' mindset and changes into a 'it happened' mindset from talking to NDT.

Joe Roegan is one of those guys who believes in nothing mainstream but believes in all snake oil salesmen conspiracy theories

what is weird is that I know three people who do martial arts and all three are detached from mainstream politics but believe in Conspiracy Theories about one global New World Order Iluminati trying to control the world

---- and they also listen to Joe Roegan podcasts

entremet

So I'm listening to the video and it really is just a normal comedian conversation. Good luck watching Eddie Murphy Raw or Howard Stern if this bothered you.

The moment of truth is like:
"I read an article online that debunked the wage gap"
"Oh? I hadn't heard about that"

Reactionary commentary is like the bread and butter of standup comedians.

I really wonder how Howard Stern would have been received today lol.

He's really re-branded himself nicely.

I'm sure he's a nice enough dude, but I wouldn't trust anyone speaking out poorly about the wage gap or gender who barely ever has women on his show. He's just coming from his usual "I think this, so it's right" place people like him are all about, because it usually means getting to say people different than you are wrong while people like you pay attention.

I definitely have no problem with his UFC work, he knows MMA and is a good color commentator.

Actually he would agree with you. His show is entertainment. It's not a policy show. Burr says similar shit, but he also concedes he no genius about public policy. But comedians comment on current events to add their spin. This isn't a new thing.

But we live in an era of witch hunt click bait journalism so shooting the breeze conversations are now subject to insane tests. Context matters in everything, but we are forgetting.

aerts1js

Bill Burr is awesome. Joe Rogan has been sorta insane for awhile now. He seems like a nice enough guy, but misinformed on a lot of things.

spock

One of these things I dont get about "the Gaf response" to certain people/viewpoints is how sweeping they are. I've known and met many people during the years who did, thought, said, etc. things that I dont agree with or others would consider wrong yet I always saw them as parts of an identity not their entire identity.

There are so many layers to us as individuals, the odds of us finding things we disagree with or view as wrong in someone is highly probably with enough questioning and digging into their beliefs, past, actions, thoughts, etc. Yet everyone is quick to throw rocks...

In the past many many months ago (one of the first to see his rise early on) , I posted things in analysis and defense of Trump as well as Trump supporters. Even being anti-Trump voting wise, I still supported the rights of those who were pro Trump and felt the broad stroking and spin were not always justified. I also tried to better understand them. Many are painted as racists. and plenty are, but there are large blocks that are simply single issue voters or folks unhappy with the system as a whole. When they hear the awful and crazy shit from Trump they find a way to reason it out.

I'm not saying this is right, just talking about what is happening.

Someone I spoke to just yesterday, fellow from Lancaster NH. Pro pot, pro, choice, etc. Was a hippie (but drafted) in his days, etc. He was a Trump supporter, primarily for 1 reason. He worked at a factory for the last 20+ years. 2 years ago the factory closed down. Here is what really got to him. The owners of the factory had a buyout offer which would have kept the factory open, the offer was from a competing company. However instead of selling the factor the existing company didnt want the added competition in the region, they shut the whole place down. 300 jobs went poof. Then they had the workers take the machines apart and pack them to be shipped to Vietnam and China. The guy is now running odd jobs (selling scrap and providing rubbish removal, etc) while trying to start driving for uber, but hes older and can barley send text messages.

Now does one make a sweeping judgment just on his Trump support alone? Do we disregard the rest of his experiences, actions, beliefs and values because some parts are not aligned with our own?

I havent listened to a ton of Joe Rogan stuff, but dang yo, peeps are burning the dude down completely because of certain values and positions he might have they dont agree with. I dont know, maybe its me, but I can be offended yet not rage or hate on a person. I'm trying to better understand this viewpoint, because it seems there are many progressives and folks who in one context sound like they strive to be non judgmental people yet go off the deep end in opposition.

You know you can fight/disagree without (what comes off almost as) hate or degradation...I understand many times this is justifiable passion, the problem is the filtering and directionalizing of that passion (the exact problem many Trump supporters, etc. seem to have).

Joe Rogan once shit talked Phil Plait on the radio "debating" him on whether or not we landed on the moon, Gish galloping his way through a series of nonsense talking points while insulting Plait the whole time. Then went on his podcast bragging about destroying Plait in the 'debate'. He is very proud and very susceptible to being fooled.

He regularly does this even today, though he now accepts the realities of us landing on the moon, fortunately. He panders to a contrarian audience and lives in a straw house built by straw men.

He talked shit about Dr. Stephen Novella and trashed his writing because he didn't understand it, but wouldn't agree to come on Novellas podcast or have Novella go on his to defend himself. He does this shit constantly.

I like listening to him talk about MMA, but I can't stand him on almost any other subjects.

Latimer

Banned
One of these things I dont get about "the Gaf response" to certain people/viewpoints is how sweeping they are. I've known and met many people during the years who did, thought, said, etc. things that I dont agree with or others would consider wrong yet I always saw them as parts of an identity not their entire identity.

There are so many layers to us as individuals, the odds of us finding things we disagree with or view as wrong in someone is highly probably with enough questioning and digging into their beliefs, past, actions, thoughts, etc. Yet everyone is quick to throw rocks...

In the past many many months ago (one of the first to see his rise early on) , I posted things in analysis and defense of Trump as well as Trump supporters. Even being anti-Trump voting wise, I still supported the rights of those who were pro Trump and felt the broad stroking and spin were not always justified. I also tried to better understand them. Many are painted as racists. and plenty are, but there are large blocks that are simply single issue voters or folks unhappy with the system as a whole. When they hear the awful and crazy shit from Trump they find a way to reason it out.

Someone I spoke to just yesterday, fellow from Lancaster NH. Pro pot, pro, choice, etc. Was a hippie (but drafted) in his days, etc. He was a Trump supporter, primarily for 1 reason. He worked at a factory for the last 20+ years. 2 years ago the factory closed down. Here is what really got to him. The owners of the factory had a buyout offer which would have kept the factory open, the offer was from a competing company. However instead of selling the factor the existing company didnt want the added competition in the region, they shut the whole place down. 300 jobs went poof. Then they had the workers take the machines apart and pack them to be shipped to Vietnam and China. The guy is now running odd jobs (selling scrap and providing rubbish removal, etc) while trying to start driving for uber, but hes older and can barley send text messages.

Now does one make a sweeping judgment just on his Trump support alone? Do we disregard the rest of his experiences, actions, beliefs and values because some parts are not aligned with our own?

I havent listened to a ton of Joe Rogan stuff, but dang yo, peeps are burning the dude down completely because of certain values and positions he might have they dont agree with. I dont know, maybe its me, but I can be offended yet not rage or hate on a person. I'm trying to better understand this viewpoint, because it seems there are many progressives and folks who in one context sound like they strive to be non judgmental people yet go off the deep end in opposition.

You know you can fight/disagree without (what comes off almost as) hate or degradation...I understand many times this is justifiable passion, the problem is the filtering and directionalizing of that passion (the exact problem many Trump supporters, etc. seem to have).
Good post.

entremet

It's not a GAF thing.

We're becoming more segregated as society in terms of ideas. It doesn't help that powerhouses who run the internet use algorithms to keep us engaged with content we only agree with.

Moreover, you see in Washington as well. Where parties are becoming more divided and less compromising in terms of governance. To be fair, the GOP has been worse here. The Democrats worked with GWB.

This is also been observed in society. People tend to marry more into their class--way more than before. Neighborhoods are more homogenous. And people we choose to associate are more and more like us.

What you see online is just the effect not the cause.

Olly88

Great post.

Regarding the bolded bit, there was a discussion on a recent Kinda Funny video where Colin M brought up a Cracked article on this. My answer to the question you posted would always be a definite no, but hearing/reading the article definitely reinforced that view.

Joe Rogan is not a particularly great ambassador for the martial art of Jiu Jitsu and makes it looks like we are entirely made of meatheads. I've never met him, but I can only hope these comments do not impact BJJ negatively in any way due to his affiliation.

Chumley

Banned
I've heard from dozens of friends and family members that the literal moment of their child's birth was the most life-altering moment of their lives. Why wouldn't this extend to your child's rights and your hopes for their lives? Is reading a bunch of posts on a message board a more important moment?

My Dad is an alcoholic piece of shit who doesn't care about and doesn't talk to any of his kids. By choice. Your anecdotal evidence that having kids automatically makes you a good person is bogus.

Triggered Rogan Justice Warriors certainly are a sight to behold.

lmao, it's always the same with posts like this. "Hurrrr triggered hurrr"

gogosox82

I like Burr but he tends to swallow his whistle so the speak when he's around his comedian friends when they say something stupid and he knows its stupid. Rogan is a legit crazy person and outside of MMA, I don't really take anything he has to say seriously.

I agree with the general gist of your post that it's unfair and harmful to group people based on a single idea they believe, but on the other hand I think people like this guy you're describing are dumb, selfish, and I have no sympathy for them when they're called "deplorable" or whatever.

He's willing to elect a man who is openly hostile to huge portions of our population, and for what? Trump is going to help factory workers like he's going to see support from black people. What does that story have anything to do with voting Trump? If anything he should be averse to voting for the guy who hires illegal immigrants, has all of his own products shipped overseas, has no problem stiffing working class people, etc.

I have friends and family voting for Trump and any who have various reasons for liking him ('tells it like it is," "will run the country like a business," etc) seems at best extremely gullible and naive and at worst like they're covering for being embarrassed to admit they like his proposals like the wall and the Muslim ban.

To be clear, on any other issue that liberals tend to shit on people for, being "pro-life," defending the 2nd Amendment, whatever, I agree. It's really unfortunate that some liberals assume people are stupid or amoral for supporting those things, and it's troubling that conservative and liberals are seemingly becoming more and more disconnected and less capable of empathizing with and understanding each other.

But Trump is different. Still supporting him at this point is so selfish and required you to have your head stuck so far in the sand that it does seem different to me. You can be strongly again drug legalization and I'll hear out why. I can understand why some people worry about gun control. But I definitely see people in a different light if they're voting for Trump.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

I would judge him saying that he is willing to throw minorities, women and LGBT under the bus to hopefully get a factory job back. And I might even give him a nod and shrug, if there was an icecube's chance in hell that Trump is going to bring back any factory jobs at all. If the guy did any research whatsoever, he would see that Trump has zero plan or even intention of bringing factory jobs back to the US.

So this guy is willing to vote for a racist sexist asshole because said asshole blubbered out some bullshit line about how he would give him his factory job back... when 95% of what comes out of the asshole's mouth has been a proven lie.

Your friend is either incredibly dumb or is intentionally burying his head in the sand, and that could potentially cause a shitload of harm to massive swath of the population.

So yes. He gets judged.

I would judge him saying that he is willing to throw minorities, women and LGBT under the bus to hopefully get a factory job back. And I might even give him a nod and shrug, if there was an icecube's chance in hell that Trump is going to bring back any factory jobs at all. If the guy did any research whatsoever, he would see that Trump has zero plan or even intention of bringing factory jobs back to the US.

Exactly. "Why would you want to elect this guy who wants to radically alter the lives the many Americans for the worst, who has a history of taking advantage of people for his own gain, and who has no political experience whatsoever?

Oh, you think maybe he'll get you your job back, even though all of the capital has been shipped overseas? That makes sense."

I don't get it.

I've heard from dozens of friends and family members that the literal moment of their child's birth was the most life-altering moment of their lives. Why wouldn't this extend to your child's rights and your hopes for their lives? Is reading a bunch of posts on a message board a more important moment?

That's some asinine logic. If that's your thought process, how to explain stuff like the inability of women to vote for so long? Men at the time loved their wives, and wanted the best for them, right? I guess that means that they were right to exclude them from the political process. If not, it's like they simultaneously loved someone but acted misguidedly against that person's best interests, and that's far too complicated a scenario to fit my black-and-white worldview.

Trump is a disaster who has spent his entire life screwing over others, the kinds of people who think he will be their savior, so yes, anyone should be judged harshly for advocating he gets put into such a position of power. (and the garbage hanger-ons that will come along with him)

Being single-issue only isn't admirable, nor is being wildly ignorant, obviously.

Henkka

Banned
Would you say he's a Nice Guy™?

As in someone who hovers around women, being nice without ever directly approaching them, and then expecting sex in return for being nice? He's probably the furthest you can get from that, lol.

Chumley

Banned

You not only have no idea what you're talking about (it's not just liberal groups, it's basically all groups), but this boogeyman of bad online discourse you're referring to doesn't exist if you're talking about the conclusion I came to. I've elaborated at length why I have the opinion about Rogan that I do, and I've probably listened to more episodes of his podcast than you have. It's a recurring pattern with him to spout the MRA line.

What you and others here going to bat for Rogan are doing is the same "you have to tolerate our intolerance" line that I'm frankly fucking sick of, and his thing isn't comedy, it's his genuinely held beliefs that he talks seriously about. He genuinely thinks transgender people should not have a seperate bathroom, for example, and has basically said verbatim they should shut the fuck up and stop complaining about it. There's not much of a similarity between him and Bill Burr, who on the other hand always makes it really obvious when he's talking shit for a comedy bit, and even when doing comedy bits doesn't say a quarter of the hateful stuff Rogan does.

Nah, he's trash and had been trash since he stepped on the scene. This is only the tip of the iceberg on his shitty opinions.

It's a shame Burr doesn't stand his ground more, but I get not wanting to start shit with your friends in public. He seems to be one of the most reasonable conservative voices in mainstream media.

entremet

You not only have no idea what you're talking about (it's not just liberal groups, it's basically all groups), but this boogeyman of bad online discourse you're referring to doesn't exist if you're talking about the conclusion I came to. I've elaborated at length why I have the opinion about Rogan that I do, and I've probably listened to more episodes of his podcast than you have. It's a recurring pattern with him to spout the MRA line.

I've read your posts and listened to the episode. I'm not convinced Joe Rogan has not gone "full blown" MRA as your title asserts.

To be fair, I haven't listened to his show in a long time. I only listen when he has scientists on.

If the title was Joe Rogan regurgitates MRA talking point, yes I would agree. This is what I mean by lack of nuance.

Trump is a disaster who has spent his entire life screwing over others, the kinds of people who think he will be their savior, so yes, anyone should be judged harshly for advocating he gets put into such a position of power. (and the garbage hanger-ons that will come along with him)

Being single-issue only isn't admirable, nor is being wildly ignorant, obviously.

I've posted this before, but the only reason Trumps followers have stood by him is simply this, the fact he opened his campaign attacking a whole ethnic group. Any discussion of any real key issue my as well be word salad, and it often is, because Trump 'took the gloves off', and made it popular to openly blame non whites for all their problems, "and they're gpmma have another thing comin' to 'em when Trump's in charge!" And guess what, the majority of the party line, actually prefer Trumps methods over good ol' Republican dog whistles.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Joe is a great standup and will do a half hour of nuanced real and hilarious material on pot cookies and then all of a sudden segue into Facebook uncle conspiracy nonsense and you can feel the crowd drift. I'm amazed he hasn't adjusted the material. Literally starts booing his own audience when they're not quite feeling it.

Syder

Boring. This is two guys shooting this shit.

Both Joe Rogan and Bill Burr have said way more contentious stuff than this. Rogan basically forms opinions based on unverified 'facts' and half-truths and regularly ends up back tracking on things he initially says with fervour.

I still don't understand how JR is as successful as he is.

Novocaine

Joe Rogan is the kind of guy who has to have to have the moon landing conspiracy debunked by an astrophysicist in person in order for him to change his views. He's always been an idiot.

He argued with him for a good 45 minutes on the subject too!

Overall I kind of like Joe but he says and thinks some really stupid shit sometimes.

I love ol' Billy Twinkletoes though, at least he openly admits he doesn't know shit.

aeolist

Banned
This perfectly describes how I've felt about him for like 15 years.

I love Bill Burr, I have no issue enjoying comedians who can be kind of shitty with their views at times. Rogan, though... he's always been an ignorant blowhard who isn't funny or insightful enough to make up for it.

Whenever someone starts a point with "I heard on Rogan that..." or "Rogan said..." it's extremely hard not to let it color their entire personality. Rogan attracts a type.

yeah, the coworkers i've known who listen to rogan's podcast regularly are definitely conspiratorial types

burr at least seems like an intelligent asshole

EmSeta

I'm not a huge Rogan fan, but "hateful"? "Full blown MRA"? You guys are ridiculous.

Fighting for gender eqality is a noble undertaking, but calling anyone questioning a contested statistic "hateful"? Come on.

Chumley

Banned
I'm not a huge Rogan fan, but "hateful"? "Full blown MRA"? You guys are ridiculous.

Fighting for gender eqality is a noble undertaking, but calling anyone questioning a contested statistic "hateful"? Come on.

That isn't, hating on trans community wanting seperate bathrooms, vegans, and laughing about Trump's bullshit is though.

you have to question the character of anyone supporting trump. it's not a time to be nice to his supporters they haven't earned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom