• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Rogan goes full blown MRA; defends Trump, denies gender wage gap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Oh Joe Rogan... the dude that will sit and say he's kind of clueless about a topic and can't wait to talk to someone to get more well informed or whatever and then immediately jump in and argue a point when someone goes against his already set point of view.

I don't mind him at all but I think the first page said it the best " Joe Rogan is what dumb people think a smart person sounds like."

Hah! ... that's perfect.

He is looking ripped lately though. Dudes swoll game has stepped up this last year.

As a trans person, am I not allowed to say, "Wow, that guy's transphobia pretty much makes him garbage." Am I being insensitive to the stoned, willfully ignorant rich dude?

Whoa I missed this development in him... Bummer. Is there a specific podcast or such that your referring to?

SunnyVi

I pretty much agree with Rogan on a lot of topics. The right has always been crazy but now the left is going over the edge too. Its difficult going into detail on here with the possibility of triggering someone.

NotBacon

I'm going to notify a mod if you shitpost like this again.

You hate my viewpoints so much that you want to report me for agreeing with someone using a common internet forum term?

I already exposed the faults in your argument earlier, and if you don't think you're guilty of what I mentioned then there's not much else to say and "this says a lot about you".

Chumley

Banned
As a trans person, am I not allowed to say, "Wow, that guy's transphobia pretty much makes him garbage." Am I being insensitive to the stoned, willfully ignorant rich dude?

This is exactly on point. The white knights in this thread are so clueless.

You hate my viewpoints so much that you want to report me for agreeing with someone using a common internet forum term?

I already exposed the faults in your argument earlier, and if you don't think you're guilty of what I mentioned then there's not much else to say and "this says a lot about you".

/thread is a shitpost, I don't care what you tell yourself to justify shitposting. Don't do it again. You clearly have nothing more of substance to contribute, and you didn't expose anything, you just ignored almost everything I said to create some victimization complex for yourself and Joe Rogan while spouting "SJW's are bad" bullshit. Oh, and apparently not being able to laugh at Donald Trump's sexual assault means I don't have a sense of humor. The only one who's exposed here is you.

diaspora

What's wrong with using trigger as a synonym for annoyed or angry?

Because it's literally the wrong application of the word. "What's wrong with using wet as a synonym for leather?" A trigger is an experience that causes trauma or PTSD to resurface. "Angry" or "annoyed" don't really fit.

Chumley

Banned
Language evolves to form new uses. Public has taken and started using it to mean an emotional response. Does that not mean anything?

It's a term of disdain used by the right wing almost exclusively. It by no stretch of the imagination has been adopted by the public en masse to replace traditional words for an emotional response, you're being willfully obtuse to a staggering degree.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

Nah yo...he hates single word drive by shit posting.

like "First" or "/Thread" or "Lawl"

it looks like they have their own reasons for not appreciating your other posts.. but that one in particular? Nah. that was lack of etiquette.
so you know ... don't do that.

diaspora

It's a term of disdain used by the right wing almost exclusively. It by no stretch of the imagination has been adopted by the public en masse to replace traditional words for an emotional response, you're being willfully obtuse to a staggering degree.

They're just wrong. Language evolves, but using the term to mean angry or annoyed is essentially objectively wrong.

it looks like they have their own reasons for not appreciating your other posts.. but that one in particular? Nah. that was lack of etiquette.
Cool post

J6ey9.gif

It's a term of disdain used by the right wing almost exclusively.

But thats not true at all.

But he posted this..

Cool post

J6ey9.gif

Edit: looks like I was beaten.

diaspora

But thats not true at all.

But he posted this..

Edit: looks like I was beaten.
Using trigger as a term of disdain exists exclusively within the realm of a handful of garbage people. I wouldn't even say it's a right wing thing when many on the right are familiar with the concept of triggers due to family in the military.

Using trigger as a term of disdain exists exclusively within the realm of a handful of garbage people. I wouldn't even say it's a right wing thing when many on the right are familiar with the concept of triggers due to family in the military.

What are garbage people?

Because it's literally the wrong application of the word. "What's wrong with using wet as a synonym for leather?" A trigger is an experience that causes trauma or PTSD to resurface. "Angry" or "annoyed" don't really fit.

The usage of Triggered has been massively abused by all sides of the topic of social equality, but the far right is definitely taking the shit out of the intended meaning so they definitely need to be called out at all opportunities.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Joe Rogan is a dipshit and any time I learn that someone listens to his podcast I instantly lose a bunch of respect for them.
Well that's bigoted lol

Am I the only one who listens to a variety of content from a lot of people with whom I may or may not agree 100%? I don't value being in a bubble that merely reinforces my own existing views. A variety of content is a good thing.

There's a time and place for broed out, meathead pot talk lol.

Well that's bigoted lol

Am I the only one who listens to a variety of content from a lot of people with whom I may or may not agree 100%? I don't value being in a bubble that merely reinforces my own existing views. A variety of content is a good thing.

Wasn't it Joe Rogan who had the ex Baltimore cop on his podcast? It was a really eye opening progressive discussion on the war on drugs and criminal justice.

luchadork

i wish more people were like rogan. say what you will but at least he's willing to hear different points of view and actually change his beliefs based on that. so many people these days don't want to discuss things or hear others views. they will just argue to the death to try and convince you that they are right rather than trying to come to some sort of understanding. if you say something one way, youre a SJW. if you say something the other way, youre an MRA. theres no middle ground. just labels. even if their hearts are in the right place, a lot of the time it seems as though they'd rather win an argument and 'beat' someone than affect real change and bring people along with their cause. it pushes people away and honestly, i think they are ok with that.

Manbig

Its difficult going into detail on here with the possibility of triggering someone.

Then why bother bringing it up at all?

If you are going into a conversation knowing that some people might get up in arms about your opinion, but are unable to explain yourself like a sane and rational person, then all you're doing by saying this is "I would tell you what I really think, but you're just gonna get so mad that I can't handle it man!"

Well that's bigoted lol

I totally agree with you; I think this topic deserves its own thread at some point.

bsp

Well that's bigoted lol

Yeah I think this is a pretty worthy point. I listen to lots of people discuss stances which I think are wrong--I'd hate someone to assume they knew my entire mental landscape because I mentioned I listen to Sam Harris' podcasts or something.

Arkeband

Banned
Wasn't it Joe Rogan who had the ex Baltimore cop on his podcast? It was a really eye opening progressive discussion on the war on drugs and criminal justice.

Episode 670. He had him back on for Episode 808 but they talked less about that and more about gun control, which the guest was a little light on facts and seemed thrown at the slightest devil's advocating from Joe, so unless you're really hard up for appeals to emotion, it's not as good of a listen.

NotBacon

Reported. I don't even care that you edited it.

I... wait... what? Showing your true colors I suppose.

Yeah he has some really cool guests sometimes. Also some aggravating ones *cough* Eddie Bravo *cough*.

I love Eddie for his contributions to BJJ, but when he goes off on a conspiracy rant....

Yes, it does. No, they haven't. People might not associate homosexuality with calling something/someone gay or a faggot, but that doesn't mean their understanding of the terms are correct.

Good thing "trigger" isn't a derogatory term?

In Canada, my friends use it and they're far from right wing.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Man, I listened to the podcast and I just really don't think the accusations in this thread hold any basis in reality. It's a severe overreaction to a comedy podcast. Not to mention Joe Rogan's new comedy special is pretty funny.

diaspora

Good thing "trigger" isn't a derogatory term?
it doesn't matter. You're wrong in the meaning of the term, how the people you know use it is worthless.

In Canada, my friends use it and they're far from right wing.
Oh, well, shit- pack it up. This guy's friends use it.
What are garbage people?
People that use the term trigger as though it was with reference to annoyance or anger. Common term for such individuals is "assholes".

skybald

Man, I listened to the podcast and I just really don't think the accusations in this thread hold any basis in reality. It's a severe overreaction to a comedy podcast. Not to mention Joe Rogan's new comedy special is pretty funny.

You think?

What is even the point of this thread? That a moderately successful comedian might not have the best philosophies ever?

Do people even realize that most comedians start out very poor and from uneducated backgrounds? There should not be your go-to for pressing social issues.

Joe Rogan's podcast is usually funny so I won't stop listening to him because he doesn't have all the same insightful views as me.

A lot of people have said this, and I have a hard time believing it because Rogan is usually a total hack. I'll have to give his special a listen.

Yes but that's entirely besides the point because there's a sound bite of him disparaging the current definition of the wage gap on a comedy podcast. He's clearly hateful!

RobertM

Those who had listened to Joe throughout the years know how much of stretch some of the claims are in that bait of an OP. MRA, seriously?

EPIC LENGTH POST

i wish more people were like rogan. say what you will but at least he's willing to hear different points of view and actually change his beliefs based on that. so many people these days don't want to discuss things or hear others views. they will just argue to the death to try and convince you that they are right rather than trying to come to some sort of understanding. if you say something one way, youre a SJW. if you say something the other way, youre an MRA. theres no middle ground. just labels. even if their hearts are in the right place, a lot of the time it seems as though they'd rather win an argument and 'beat' someone than affect real change and bring people along with their cause. it pushes people away and honestly, i think they are ok with that.

Both of these posts pretty much sum up my opinion of the fellow. I've only listened to his show for a few months, and am only really familiar with him from one of the best sitcoms of all time, NewsRadio, and having seen a handful of Fear Factor episodes, but in that time I have been more-or-less convinced that he is a decent, well-meaning person.

Come to think of it, I have never seen any of his stand-up, so I guess I'll give Triggered a shot.
Lol at that title.

I started and stopped paying attention to him with his biphobic stand-up bit on bisexual guys giving advice, saying nobody should listen to advice on anything from a bisexual man. Tee-hee 'confusion'. 🙄

Cronox

Banned
I have used the word triggered jokingly when socializing with college professors, in the context of talking about the challenges of dealing with a certain type of student that disrupts the classroom and demands coddling for their undiagnosed but deeply held beliefs regarding what they can handle mentally. Beliefs that trivialize the origin of the very real PTSD suffered by those for which the term was invented.

Perhaps when people make light of the word, they are not automatically making light of all PTSD sufferers as some might jump to claim, but of a certain type of person, which anecdotal and written accounts confirm the existence of. Perhaps just saying that if someone has used the term outside of it's 100% most serious context, they're a garbage person isn't a helpful generalization. Does someone who makes light of trigger warnings respect the PTSD of a former military officer? Do they respect the PTSD of people that had traumatic childhood experiences? Can you know the answers to these questions, based on knowing that the person once made light of trigger warnings or being triggered? I don't believe so.

Out there, someone exists who could listen to a former soldier talk about his PTSD and callously reply with something along the lines of "that's bullshit, what you're describing isn't real. Get over it." There are perhaps more who would reply similarly to an account of PTSD linked to childhood trauma. However, I believe this number is far lower than people on the internet seem to believe. Can someone make fun of something in one moment, and take it seriously the next? I think we have many examples of this (cancer, AIDS, race, and more have been the subjects of humor in countless comedy specials, TV shows, books etc), and thus I don't agree with the idea that someone should be castigated for laughing at or making light of something as if it says anything about their true feelings and beliefs.

Of course, the most extreme examples exist. I'm perfectly happy to dismiss Glenn Beck, Rick Santorum, or Rush Limbaugh because they have repeatedly stated their beliefs in the clearest of terms, and in action. These people's existence doesn't effect an argument between anonymous people on the internet, or while socializing with a group of friends.

On a larger level, free speech is important because ideas have to stand up and survive challenge. When one generalizes or labels people in a way that writes them off, cuts off communication and alienates people, it doesn't stop their ideas. It just tells them that they have to go elsewhere, and find people that don't reject them based on those ideas. There was a time when these sorts of interactions were mostly with real racists and other fringe groups. Now it seems to me that people are dismissed for their ignorance, for humor, for not immediately supporting ideas they've just been made aware of, for expressing doubts... And I don't find dismissing those people helpful. In fact, I'm afraid of what the future looks like if this is the standard going forward. I had a similar point in my more on-topic posts in this thread re: Joe Rogan, even if our OP didn't seem to understand.

That said, for those of you who are not interested in dealing with garbage people who have used the word triggered lightly, I suggest you put me on your ignore list. And see how much that accomplishes.

Audioboxer

That podcast episode was amazing and also incredibly chilling, upsetting and downright depressing. It's no wonder America has such a large issue with police brutality and murdering of innocents which then goes unpunished. As is the war on drugs and locking up of black Americans for insane lengths of time a complete and utter sham.

Anyway that's all I can really add as that episode still lives with me to this day. My interactions with Rogan are largely based around some of the stellar guests he has courted than the man himself. I'm totally indifferent to him, I just appreciate long format podcasts and being able to listen to people I respect talk at length.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You really don't see the connection between having a vested interest in his girls' futures and how campaigning against women earning equal pay would run directly against that?
I don't think you can possibly be this naive. Do you think sexists and misogynists have no female relatives they care about? LOL, what a ridiculous argument.

These are jokes by comedians.
What jokes? What's the joke about denying that the wage gap is real and that feminism is a toxic cancer?

Being offended is fine (and part of what comedy is about). Vilifying someone because of comedy, which many are doing in this thread, is not.
Well... Why not? You can just be offended at the "vilification", and that's OK. Right?

Out of curiosity, has Rogan got a hot take on vaccines?

*checks*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJeGeclGDpQ#t=32m33s

"They connected immunisation shots to their kids having autism. People don't want to hear that fact!"

"Should you give them to babies? I don't fucking know about that...Maybe we should look at that real quick. What are you shooting in there? You know it's a baby. It's a day old, you're gonna shoot chemicals in it. Maybe let it sit around for a while, and let it grow and get stronger maybe. That's what a lot of doctors think."

"There is a lot of money in vaccines. As soon as the corporations get behind the bottomline, they're just trying to sell more. They'll try to figure out a way to make it look like the kid can take it! These kids are strong these days. They're eating GMO corn. You can give them a hard vaccine. C'mon we're making a lot of money, Tommy!"

Oh god lmao
Him trying to debate against Neil Degrasse Tyson that the moon landings were faked was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen, lol.
LOL this fucking guy

And people listen to him and think he's cool? So he's an MRA apologist/anti-feminist, a Trump apologist, a conspiracy theorist, a moon landing denier, an anti-vax, he gives a platform to nutcase assholes like Milo... and people don't dismiss him as another foaming-at-the-mouth Alex Jones nutcase (whose radio show he's been on, too), why?

Well that's bigoted lol

Give me a break. There is no value to being exposed to a "variety" of idiotic viewpoints, especially in such large volumes and in such high levels of absurdity. You aren't made smarter or more educated (except educated about the existence of stupidity, I guess) by listening to anti-vaxxers moon-landing denying anti-feminists. Enough with the relativistic "every viewpoint is equally valid!" nonsense.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Most times I hear "trigger warning" is on a mental illness podcast before people talk about how their pastor raped them repeatedly or something similarly-serious like that.

I'm stealing the "Joe Rogan is like a dumb person's idea of what a smart person is" bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom