• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Carmack's VR head-mounted display Interview (GiantBomb)

luoapp

What a great interview.

what interview? All I saw is one man talking.

best interview of E3

Edit: I'm also wondering how this compares to TrackIR stuff. Kind wish Vinny could do the interview, so he can make the comparison.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I hope I catch this when it goes on sale.

1-D_FTW

50ms of input lag for processing on HMZ-T1? I knew it. Got into some arguments in the official thread over that. Carmack confirms I'm not crazy (at least on that).

Love that he harps so badly on input lag and TV manufacturers.

Also love that he's been experimenting with 120hz OLEDs.

Everything even sounds great with the current build, but the resolution. Once they can get these to 1080P, I'm so in. The pixel grid structure on the HMZ bothered me even at 720P, but it sounds like 1080P is only a year or two away:)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
what interview? All I saw is one man talking.

best interview of E3

Hah. One of the guys in my circle of friends has been affectionately nicknamed Carmack for years because if you ever get him talking passionately about something, he rambles on and on just like the man himself.

It's always nice to have someone like this in an industry filled with PR Producer folks who have recited lines for a performance.

Goldrusher

Does he talk about the HMZ-T1 at all? Are there technical reasons to go with this thing that looks like something from Max Cohen's apartment in Pi?
He praises the HMZ for:

- price (it's cheap)
- quality of the screens
- simply the fact that it's out there

He dislikes:

- the lag
- the field of view (he wants more of a "dome screen" experience)
- the ergonomics

His version will likely have a lower resolution, but a more immersive screen and much, much less lag.

Glix

I love how he is talking about the tradeoff in using 3D for the BFG edition.

No PR bullshit from this guy, just geeky goodness. Love him so much.

He touches on it and commends Sony for pushing the tech forward but he brings up the fact that latency is still an issue compared to where it he wants it to be. Also I didn't hear numbers but he makes it sound like the Field of View of his unit is better than the competition (which I would think includes the HMZ-T1).

If there's one thing Carmack complains about the most, it's latency. I remember some of his discussions on iSO gaming and the milliseconds of latency the touch screen had, and how it should be improved.

This is awesome though. When Carmack is displeased with something, he tries to make it better. I love it!

"So this had been my little hobby project, but then the BFG edition for Doom 3D, it legitimized my work and I'm like okay this is something that I can integrate in to 3D TV support but the headmount display stuff is.. it makes even this 8 year old game a fundamentally different experience, it really is like nothing you've ever played like that. Ten times more graphics power doesn't give you that level of intensity."

QFFT

Cool stuff, but yea, don't expect this to be happening next gen. Maybe Nintendo's next handheld

He praises the HMZ for:

- price (it's cheap)
- quality of the screens
- simply the fact that it's out there

He dislikes:

- the lag
- the field of view (he wants more of a "dome screen" experience)
- the ergonomics

His version will likely have a lower resolution, but a more immersive screen and much, much less lag.

I'm not saying it isn't there but I've seriously never noticed any sort of imput lag on my HMZ's - love 'em to death. I just ordered the cushion straps so I can fully enjoy long gaming sessions this fall.

Salsa

I just like how he doesnt really sell his stuff, but rather just talks about the technology.

Same thing with the Rage interviews before it came out. He always talks about the shortcomings they encountered and how everything they're doing could basically be better. That's not something a PR selling a product would ever do. He's brutally honest and you end up appreciating it so much. A breath of fresh air.

1-D_FTW

I'm not saying it isn't there but I've seriously never noticed any sort of imput lag on my HMZ's - love 'em to death. I just ordered the cushion straps so I can fully enjoy long gaming sessions this fall.

It's input lag. Everyone perceives it differently. I can notice it plain as day and really angered JoeTheBlow in the official thread (who claimed it didn't exist). So it's not something I would recommend for people who are sensitive. I can handle a couple frames of lag from v-sync (some people complain about even that), but when you then add on that extra 50ms, games like Trackmania, rFactor, and Nimbus all played horribly to me.

What a great interview.

More people need to care about display lag half as much as this dude.

My favorite quote in this interview:

John Carmack
: "It takes 50 milliseconds to get this (visual information) over a fast screen display. That's more time than it takes to send a packet from America to England. That's just ridiculous! But that's because router people care about latency. They know it's important, so they don't pile it up. Display people don't know yet, but I am trying to educate all of them about that... "

Haha, wow.

Salsa

John Carmack
: "It takes 50 milliseconds to get this (visual information) over a fast screen display. That's more time than it takes to send a packet from America to England. That's just ridiculous! But that's because router people care about latency. They know it's important, so they don't pile it up. Display people don't know yet, but I am trying to educate all of them about that... "

Haha, wow.

Preach it. Sould have just grabbed a fuckin mic and dropped it.

n0n44m

he's so awesome

I share his 120 Hz love ;) 120 Hz OLED must be heaven

DIY kit? shutuptakemymoney.gif

if his predictions come true, the future is going to be AMAZING

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Definitely the coolest thing I've seen from E3 so far.
Fixed.

The man is an innovator. I am also glad he is a fellow glasses-wearer so someone important is looking out for our concerns in these developments.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Come to think of it, I'm probably more sensitive to input lag than most.

Good on Carmack, love that guy.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls

John Carmack

Haha, wow.

This was another quote I was going to write up because it hits the truth at home. Only the dedicated seem to truly care about the latency and how it affects overall game performance in a visual sense. Glad to see someone like Carmack not only carry the flag, but drop the truth bombs.

Shai-Tan

Banned
This interview is a lot better than the one I saw on Kotaku. Totilo seemed to be taking almost no interest in what Carmack was saying probably because he didn't understand it

Sh1ner

Oculus Rift is getting Kickstarter'd by PalmerTech either this weekend or by June 14th. The goal is to make it available for the mod/hack crowd. If your interested just use Google and the Kickstarter should show up when its up.

According to articles the Kickstarter is expected to be up for about a full month. PalmerTech is not looking to make profit from this, also Carmack will be giving out 100 copies of Doom 3 BFG edition.

Source:
http://roadtovr.wordpress.com/2012/...kickstarter-to-begin-no-later-than-june-14th/

*fanboyism on my part*
I see Gabe and Valve getting into the whole sensory ideas to enhance their games. I hope they meet up with Carmack and that thing we call magic... SCIENCE happens and we get some better of both worlds kind of thing. I consider both guys geniuses each have their own strengths. Both legends.

Arucardo

This interview is a lot better than the one I saw on Kotaku. Totilo seemed to be taking almost no interest in what Carmack was saying probably because he didn't understand it

The stuff he was talking about in this video wasn't nearly as complex as some of his Quakecon keynotes (which are just awesome).

Brad basically did nothing, just let him go at it.

Brad's an excellent interviewer, though. He knows he can just let Carmack go and it'll turn out amazing. This E3 has brought so many loud, interrupting morons who all follow the same pattern of just shouting a subject and literally saying "Talk abut that". Brad's a pro.

Salsa

Brad's an excellent interviewer, though. He knows he can just let Carmack go and it'll turn out amazing. This E3 has brought so many loud, interrupting morons who all follow the same pattern of just shouting a subject and literally saying "Talk abut that". Brad's a pro.

Brad asked "it almost seems as if you're straying into the realm of cognitive science at some point" which sent him on an interesting tangent that I hadn't heard in the other interviews

I wasn't trying to imply this was a bad thing. He knows who he's interviewing and he knows that in the case of Carmack it is best to send him on a path and let him talk through it. Worse thing you can do is interrupt the man.

Carmack is a genius. I could listen to this guy talk tech all day. His speech at Quakecon last year was also fantastic.

This is pretty much the future of gaming and virtual/augmented reality.

Durante

I like how he said that the most exciting thing about 3D is that we're getting 120Hz displays - I agree.

Also, he's doing the lord's work in educating display makers about latency.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There's something comforting about listening to Carmack talk about tech stuff.

Top Bottom