• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Frusciante released a bunch of free music last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought this was worth sharing, close if old:

In an interview earlier this year, former Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante insinuated that he no longer planned to release music commercially. “For the last year and a half I made the decision to stop making music for anybody and with no intention of releasing it,” he explained, adding, “At this point, I have no audience. I make tracks and I don’t finish them or send them to anybody, and consequently I get to live with the music.”

Now, though, Frusciante has clarified his comments in an extensive open letter. Along with it, he’s launched SoundCloud and Bandcamp pages where he’s shared a ton of unreleased music for free.

“Obviously I have a public audience,” Frusciante writes. “I am aware of them, and they know who they are, When I said ‘At this point, I have no audience’, I meant ‘audience’ in the figurative sense of people who I have in mind when I am creating, who I intend to send my music to or play it for.”

Among the material posted to SoundCloud and Bandcamp: Frusciante’s interpretation of “Fight For Love” from the movie Casa De Mi Padre, recorded in November 2013 with Omar Rodriguez-Lopez; a collection of six songs recorded on four-track cassette in 2010; and a 20-minute version of an all-sample piece called “Sect In Sgt”.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/...ed-a-boatload-of-new-music-for-free-download/

Fight For Love is a pretty cool track, nice to see some more Omar collab material from him. Hadn't heard his electronic stuff before, I kinda dig it, reminds me Drukqs era Aphex Twin a bit. On Bandcamp that's the one labeled "Renoise Tracks 2009-2011". Enjoy.

JTGreat

After Aphex did this earlier in the year I wondered if he'd do the same.

Some great stuff in there, was a good read too. He seems happy with where he's at, I felt he came across a bit stiff for the last few years, this was way more casual.

This is still one of the best rock songs ever; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9jsRZzjrgI

I had no idea who he was, but I read this amazing, amazing interview with him. It kills me I can't remember who wrote it, but it came out in around 2008- The Journalist had met him before, and talked about his downward spiral. About how he made 2 albums just to feed his cocaine addiction, and that he had lost every tooth in his mouth. He described how it literally is a miracle that he is even alive. Even for long-time substance abusers, this guy was so far over the edge. holy fuck.

I'm not good at ranking guitarists in terms of skill, but surely Frusciante is one of the best out there? RHCP is a really fun band- But this guy issss way above the others level?

NotSelf

I really enjoyed the two albums he did with black knights it doesn't overly produced very simple and melodic.

PillarEN

Little scared as I did not care for that electronic album he made under a pseudonym this year (or last?). Edit: Yeah it was this year under the name Trickfinger

Fight for Love sounds nice though.

Ooo. Zone is nice too. I just like it when it's ol' John and guitar. Serenade me you genius.

This is still one of the best rock songs ever; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9jsRZzjrgI

I had no idea who he was, but I read this amazing, amazing interview with him. It kills me I can't remember who wrote it, but it came out in around 2008- The Journalist had met him before, and talked about his downward spiral. About how he made 2 albums just to feed his cocaine addiction, and that he had lost every tooth in his mouth. He described how it literally is a miracle that he is even alive. Even for long-time substance abusers, this guy was so far over the edge. holy fuck.

I'm not good at ranking guitarists in terms of skill, but surely Frusciante is one of the best out there? RHCP is a really fun band- But this guy issss way above the others level?

He's up there for sure, the praise Flea has heaped on him in particular despite some of their issues is testament to that. Guy has an incredible energy live too, looks like he's bustin a nut with every chord played.

One of my favorite sets rhcp did was Woodstock 99, it was their performance too where people started burning shit. Whole set is on youtube, but NSFW Flea dong warning, dude is fully nude the whole show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0ps-dJ9eX0

I also really liked the dvd release of their Slane Castle performance in Ireland. Those crowd shots o_o

Frusciante's guitar intro is just sublime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ-59A1h1JA

edit: His attitude towards addiction is an interesting one, I think he said it was good for him to go through that, iirc this was his bender prior to being kicked out of rhcp in the 90s. Either way it does seem like he's in great place now.

His interview in 1994 is really hard to watch NSFW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AGzvzN2I-U NSFW

PillarEN

Have any of the Omar collabs had percussion?

Haven't bothered to follow them at all since he left.

Sadly you didn't miss out. I'm With You has a few tracks worth hearing among plenty throwaways. Raindance Maggie is tough tough tough to listen to. Hopefully Josh is able to be more involved or confident. I of course don't know how the music making process went but the album to me sounds like lots of Flea first and foremost. I don't mean that as a knock against Flea. More that I'm hoping for a stronger collaboration with Josh.

Still a blast to see them live though.

PillarEN

Interesting. I didn't know he was that fucked up back then.. Kurt Cobain was still alive during some of this footage. How in the fuck did he manage to stay alive for so long?

John said he wasn't using Heroin until after Blood Sugar Sex Magic. As in that fucked up sounding album he released in 94 (recorded during Blood Sugar) is him supposedly stable.

I love that he hated Nirvana back then. He's a big fan now. Don't know if it's still on youtube but back in the 2000s he covered Nirvana's Lounge Act. It sounded fantastic.

Looking forward to listening through this, I'm a big fan of some of his more recent stuff.

I really should watch through that someday, definitely one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

I bet, looks like an amazing show. Can't imagine the feel of that kinda crowd and communal energy. I've been to arena shows and some festivals but nothing ever that big. Then again these days I prefer the smaller club shows anyhow.

John said he wasn't using Heroin until after Blood Sugar Sex Magic. As in that fucked up sounding album he released in 94 (recorded during Blood Sugar) is him supposedly stable.

I love that he hated Nirvana back then. He's a big fan now. Don't know if it's still on youtube but back in the 2000s he covered Nirvana's Lounge Act. It sounded fantastic.

Well there's this at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWsER91JTb0&list=RDBWsER91JTb0#t=25

Wow cool, I had no idea there were fans of JF's solo stuff on here.

Anyway, I'm glad he cleared things up. I was pretty bummed by a recent interview claiming he would never release music anymore.

Thraktor

I bet, looks like an amazing show. Can't imagine the feel of that kinda crowd and communal energy. I've been to arena shows and some festivals but nothing ever that big. Then again these days I prefer the smaller club shows anyhow.

It was. The three main acts that day were Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters and the Chili Peppers, all at or close to their peak, and they all put on great shows. The atmosphere was incredible, and it didn't hurt that the weather was so good (by Irish standards, anyway). The only thing I regret is that I didn't pay more attention to PJ Harvey, who played before the main three. I didn't really know her at the time, but I've since become a big fan, particularly liking Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea and Uh Huh Her, which is primarily what she would have been playing at the the concert. I've seen her since, but playing a set of music from her most recent album, which I'm not as big a fan of.

I'd agree with you on the smaller shows now, though. When I was a teenager I had all the energy in the world for shows like that, but give me a more intimate venue any time these days.

I have a feeling a lot of people are going to look back on John's solo stuff and realize he is one of the few genius we have making music today. Right now a lot of people I know just see him as the guy that was in RHCP that now makes weird music.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
https://jfdirectlyfromjf.bandcamp.com/track/zone-guitar-and-vocal

So good. You can really tell how much of the RHCP's sound was because of John.
Oh man, this gives me chills... So good.

I have a feeling a lot of people are going to look back on John's solo stuff and realize he is one of the few genius we have making music today. Right now a lot of people I know just see him as the guy that was in RHCP that now makes weird music.
Yup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom