• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Wick: Chapter 2 |OT| I Know Gun Fu

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldMan

Banned
And I know KR was really working on his shooting and by this movie it looks like practice really paid off. Movie kept me engaged from start to finish.

John Wick 2>>>>Return of Xander Cage

The Guy In Red

Neo Member
Guys,

I was reading a review and it mentioned that there is an assassin who is
deaf
. Is this significant in terms of the reveal in the film?

Da-Kid

Ruby Rose's scenes weren't forced at all and managed to shout out to the sign language community. She only benefits from these roles and I wish her well in future endeavors.
And since this is a Gaming Forum first and foremost...
Perfect Dark lead role anyone?
I'd be interested in a John Wick game which serve as prequel's to the movies.

I'd be interested in a John Wick game which serve as prequel's to the movies.
It can't be a regular shooter though. I think a melee system like Arkham or that PS2 Jet Li game, with Max Payne style dives and slow motion for precise shots, would work best

Guys,

I was reading a review and it mentioned that there is an assassin who is
deaf
. Is this significant in terms of the reveal in the film?

No. It was shown already in one of the trailers, and it's not really a reveal. She just speaks with sign language from the beginning, and the film doesn't make a big deal out of it.

no. That knife is for the deaf woman in the art exhibit. The other one... i believe that there was a knife kill in the subway before the train fight

There was. It was when John stabbed the guy in the taint. I remember because my entire theatre audibly cringed when that happened.

Helmholtz

This was real good. It's kind of like what The Raid 2 was to The Raid 1. More story/world building, and taking the action to another level, however like with The Raid 2 some of the simplicity and focus gets lost. This had a lot of good little humorous bits in it which was nice.

carlsojo

Great action movie. One of the best I've seen.

Loved Ruby Rose's character. She was... creepy.
Doubt she survived, but it'd be great to see her back.

My only complaint was
the ending kind of felt like a balloon deflating. An obvious setup for 3, but it wasn't very satisfying on its own.

Also kind of random but I get the weirdest impression that
Winston is John's father.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
saw it today, it was alright tbh. Wasn't as good as the first one. Action was great of course but the plot felt forced. But I enjoyed it, great action and he Johnathon is badass.

Also kind of random but I get the weirdest impression that
Winston is John's father.

I don't think Winston is literally John's father, but the film definitely gives you the sense that he sees John as almost a surrogate son. After all,
he tries talking John down from killing Santino, and also stands up to the latter in John's defense.
He also
gives John the one hour, which was a courtesy, as shown by how he dealt with Perkins in the last film, and it looks like he's almost tearing up when he makes his phone call at the end.

Qvoth

By Killing a Puppy, the Creators of John Wick Birthed a Franchise
The irony is that all these acquisitions people saw it, and they all passed. These are the same executives now who are desperately trying to do another John Wick.

lol
i think my only complaint about the gun effects are the ones regarding the shotgun, i would've thought a gun of that caliber would easily split bodies, tear limbs etc
we only saw big blood splatters for it :/

lol
i think my only complaint about the gun effects are the ones regarding the shotgun, i would've thought a gun of that caliber would easily split bodies, tear limbs etc
This also occurred to me, but I am not a fan of that level of gore so I didn't mind its exclusion in Chapter 2.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I saw it yesterday and god damn it was amazing. Can't wait to see more.

Loved Ruby Rose's character. She was... creepy.
Doubt she survived, but it'd be great to see her back.

General rule for media, if they don't explicitly show a death on screen, the character is still alive.

torontoml

I saw it yesterday and god damn it was amazing. Can't wait to see more.

General rule for media, if they don't explicitly show a death on screen, the character is still alive.

Seemed like she died to me, maybe too a slight to quick of a cut from her dead eyes, but thats what I got from it.

Blackage

It can't be a regular shooter though. I think a melee system like Arkham or that PS2 Jet Li game, with Max Payne style dives and slow motion for precise shots, would work best

Play the Red Hood DLC for Arkham Knight heh.

Also I think at one point, one of the henchmen who are witnessing the ridiculous body count would have just nope'd out of there. Like at what point do you walk into a room with 10 dead bodies and say "Uhhhh, yeah no" and just go the opposite direction.

Seemed like she died to me, maybe too a slight to quick of a cut from her dead eyes, but thats what I got from it.

As someone mentioned before,
Ares' death mirrored Cassian's defeat. John stabbed Cassian in the aorta and left the knife in, giving Cassian a slim chance of surviving if he is able to seek medical help in time. John stabbed Ares in the same place, then immediately took the knife out, leaving her to bleed out with a ruptured aorta. Outside of receiving major medical treatment the moment John left, the only way that she could possibly survive would be if it turns out she has dextrocardia situs inversus (heart on the opposite side).

Kieli

Little bit disappointed
Cassian went out the way he did. I thought he would have been one of the assassins in Wick's tier. Still gave him a good fight, tho.

sirap

Little bit disappointed
Cassian went out the way he did. I thought he would have been one of the assassins in Wick's tier. Still gave him a good fight, tho.

He'll be
back.

They seemed pretty evenly matched at the time and if Wick didn't have plot armor I could see that fight going either way. That said, a fresh, uninjured Wick would probably destroy him.

He is the boogeyman after all.

Kieli

I actually was somewhat disappointed.
I liked the movie, but I thought it was ever-so-slightly a bit much.
I do not know if it is the current political climate or what, but for the first time in my 42 years on this planet I felt the violence was at times just a bit too much.
I do believe there is a pretty simple reason however.
I believe the first movie had much better cinematography. I looked it up and sure enough it is two different people who did the cinematography.

I just feel like the first movie had way, way more stylized visuals. So it was very much like a graphic novel come to life on the screen. So while it too was ultra violent, it was presented in an interesting way so it was way easier to digest.
I felt this movie had a much more straightforward approach to the visuals and as such the violence itself was a lot more raw. In your face. I felt the depiction of the close quarters gun combat was just pretty damn intense. Lots of dudes getting their heads popped like melons.

The analogy I can use is have you ever seen a black and white photo close up shot of a crime scene? There is almost an artistic quality to it, and that makes what you are viewing way easier to look at.
Then have you ever seen the actual police photos of that same crime scene? Taken with a bad camera with the flash on from far away and everything is just lit brightly and you see the whole damn scene and it is way more disturbing to look at?
So sure, you can still look at that second picture, but you feel a bit weird doing so. At least I do.
That is how I feel about the two movies so far.

Even more strange, I would actually say I have a very high tolerance for simulated violence.
For some reason though, perhaps it was the fact it was a morning matinee and only 10:30 AM so I was not ready for it yet, I did feel the violence in Chapter 2 was ever-so-slightly a bit much.
It just could have either been presented in a more interesting way and/or there simply could have been more implied examples.

I agree with you on this point. The violence in Chapter 2 made me uncomfortable at times, whereas it was stylized in Chapter 1.

Kieli

My theater was playing the movie at a really loud volume and holy shit RIP my ears.

Good movie. I admit I was disappointed that it took so long to the gun-fu after the first one.

Also I guess we can summarize the trilogy like this:

1. They kill his dog so he kills them all.
2. They blow up his house so he kills them all.
3. He kills them all.

The entire car sequence leading
up to the mob boss at the beginning nearly made me deaf....

Just got back. Amazing flick. Only two complaints:

1) I did not like the ending scene,
seeing everyone watching John as he runs by as if they're in the know and have been receiving texts about him. How many fucking mercs are there? Waaaay too many. Kind of takes a little of the zazz out of the world if everyone in New York is a hitman.

2) I had 3 guys in the theater near the front row who talked the whole movie. Thankfully during action or any kind of music going on, it covered them up. But during any dialogue scenes that were a little quiet, you could hear them. They actually were speaking UP during some parts, so they could better hear each other over the "pesky" loud movie. It pissed me off so much, but what really pissed me off more is knowing I couldn't do shit about it if I told those working. They're a bunch of college kids who probably don't give a shit or don't have the stones to do anything. Hell, my brother once told the manager about a group that snuck in 6-pack of beer for Star Wars III, and after the manager spoke to them she let them all stay. And you know what...nothing against those working either. I wouldn't want to deal with that crap either.

Just got back. Amazing flick. Only two complaints:

1) I did not like the ending scene,
seeing everyone watching John as he runs by as if they're in the know and have been receiving texts about him. How many fucking mercs are there? Waaaay too many. Kind of takes a little of the zazz out of the world if everyone in New York is a hitman.
All those people Winston had in the park had to go somewhere when they left. At least that's who I thought all those people were.

All those people Winston had in the park had to go somewhere when they left. At least that's who I thought all those people were.
Yeah...I guess that could make sense. I'll go with that. Makes me not dislike it as much.

I'm surprised how much I like Ruby Rose in this...especially for a character that doesn't speak. She isn't your typical hardass/badass cardboard cutout character. She is definitely tough, but little things made me like her.
When she reports to Santino "I fucked up. I'm sorry" instead of just saying "Wick got away" like you'd expect. And that long look she gives Santino when she sends him away and lets him know "I got this" before turning to face Wick. I dunno...just really liked her.

nath999

Little bit disappointed

He definitely
survived
, I think that's a little more clear when we meet Laurence Fishburne and he talks about his experience with Wick.

Weckum

He definitely
survived
, I think that's a little more clear when we meet Laurence Fishburne and he talks about his experience with Wick.

Thought the same thing

Can't wait for Wick to team up with him and Fishburne in Part 3

I liked this a lot. It's pretty close to the original for me but I think the first has a more emotional through line, more taut action scenes, the better villain, and is just a better movie in general. It also has the Kaledia, "Think" sequence sooooo.

This one did probably have better action overall though I will say the first two setpieces are at the bottom of the list for the series, probably only a little better than the finale of the original. It also takes a whileeeeee to get going with the real gun fu stuff. The 1 on 1 bits with Common and Ruby where probably the best parts, glad they
left the door open for those characters to return.

DocSeuss

Great movie, great moments. Biggest complaint was that it didn't surprise me as much as I hoped it would. They played too many moments straight. Wanted more subversion.

lol

Shotguns don't have calibers. A 12-Gauge shotgun hitting people at that range would... occasionally do that kinda damage, but I mean, if they're even half as well armored as Wick is, that damage seems about right.

Brakke

Banned
Enjoyed the hell out of it but it's very very much a sequel. Like the Peter Stormare bit at the beginning was funny, but cut that out and the movie is just as good -- probably better, even. There's a weird thing in the character motivations in this one where John is like... explicitly and exclusively a bad guy. You could kind of handwave the violence in the first by saying it was a cartoonish retribution against a cartoonish villainy. But like... there's no world in which you can even kind of feel ok about this guy murdering like ten dudes just to get a photo back. Not one of his kills had any kind of righteousness behind them except ~maybe~ the one that he broke the rules to do, which messes that one up.

On the one hand it's kind of good that this one took the violence a bit more seriously and made it more complicated, but on the other, that's not really what I showed up to the theater for.

Everything to do with Common was all the way dope.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I liked this a lot. It's pretty close to the original for me but I think the first has a more emotional through line, more taut action scenes, the better villain, and is just a better movie in general. It also has the Kaledia, "Think" sequence sooooo.

This one did probably have better action overall though I will say the first two setpieces are at the bottom of the list for the series, probably only a little better than the finale of the original. It also takes a whileeeeee to get going with the real gun fu stuff. The 1 on 1 bits with Common and Ruby where probably the best parts, glad they
left the door open for those characters to return.
They did not leave anything open for Ruby's character.
she literally died on screen and to top it off wick killed her the same way he nearly killed common but instead of giving Ruby's character a "choice" he immediately pulled out the knife

They did not leave anything open for Ruby's character.
she literally died on screen and to top it off wick killed her the same way he nearly killed common but instead of giving Ruby's character a "choice" he immediately pulled out the knife
Yeah. I really loved that moment. And I feel like most shitty movies that don't trust the audience to be smart would've had John say
she is going to bleed to death because he pulled the knife out, instead of letting us put the pieces together with the previous scene. Not that anyone here who thinks she survived is dumb, because we're all free to interpret the movie how we'd like. I'm just glad they didn't put words in John's mouth to spew at the audience.

I'mma be honest.

This is probably in my top 5 all-time action movies.

Me too.
DILLON_predator.gif

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Rewatching the first movie. Goddamn the action doesn't even hold a candle to the second movie. Even the club scene isn't as good as it use to be to me :{ it's going to be a treat watching these back-to-back when ch. 2 releases on blu-ray

sirap

Rewatching the first movie. Goddamn the action doesn't even hold a candle to the second movie. Even the club scene isn't as good as it use to be to me :{ it's going to be a treat watching these back-to-back when ch. 2 releases on blu-ray

My thoughts exactly. I rewatched the John Wick with my sister right after coming home from the second movie. It's still a great film but what was immediately apparent to me was how subdued everything felt.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
One thing that I haven't seen yet, I loved how everything was always very clearly shot. Even though they moved the camera a lot, you always had proper positioning and it was almost like a Chan style with the camera moving with the environment.

Can't wait for this, does anyone know what's happening with the UK release? All the cinemas seem to just have one screening listed for the 14th?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom