• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Wick: Chapter 2 |OT| I Know Gun Fu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

Qbp4hnR.jpg

TheFlow

Banned
I don't think anyone's confronting him with the intention of changing his opinion; that'd be fairly vain. John Wick came out and got the reception it deserves from critics as well as the general audiences. He and his ilk are background noise at the most. My issue (I imagine others' as well) with what he's said lies here:

He's accusing the rest of us of seeing John Wick in an unjustifiable light, as if he (and his fringe peers) is the only one capable of seeing it for what it really is. If he's going to do that, then he should at least have the decency to say why. But as I'm sure you can see, he's above that, whether you ask him to nicely or not. Where he comes from, explaining why you think the things you do is not standard procedure in a discussion/debate. Asking for that apparently demonstrates entitlement.

He's absolutely not obligated to explain himself, but by the same token, he shouldn't expect what he says to hold any weight or value to the rest of us.
Move on lol

Derailing the thread again

kmfdmpig

I wonder what John wick would of been like with Jason statham

Keanu is perfect for the role, but if not him then Statham would be a decent choice. While Statham makes a lot of average/poor movies he's usually the best part of most movies he's in (including Spy). The Mechanic is probably the only real Statham starring action movie that I'd argue is really good, however.

TheFlow

Banned
Keanu is perfect for the role, but if not him then Statham would be a decent choice. While Statham makes a lot of average/poor movies he's usually the best part of most movies he's in (including Spy). The Mechanic is probably the only real Statham action movie that I'd argue is really good, however.
I am a fan of crack and trainsporter but it has been years since I watched them

What about war

JdFoX187

Banned
Most uncomfortable experience I've ever had watching a movie in IMAX...

It's even more disheartening considering the original was an amazing action film -- even with its quick cuts. Pierre Morel knows how to handle frantic editing and do it right. Oliver Megaton should never be allowed behind a camera again.
UHD of the first just arrived, hype levels rising!
Mine, too, if I can ever get out of work to get home.

kmfdmpig

I am a fan of crack and trainsporter but it has been years since I watched them

What about war

Transporter 1 I liked, but the others I enjoyed, but wouldn't say that they're really good. Crank is such a ridiculous buy crazy ride that it's definitely good. I forgot about that one for some reason.
Other than that I'd probably put Parker and Safe toward the top of my Statham list. As much as I like Jet Li I didn't really care for War.

Can't wait for JW2. I suspect it will do quite well at the box office as JW really caught on after its theatrical run ended.

Chumley

Banned
That Every Frame a Painting vid has to count for something. Surely more than making claims you are incapable of backing up? :)

But if I've not contributed anything of worth thus far, then let me change that:

Expertly choreographed action sequences and adept camera work are a given in a John Wick sequel, but I don't really see many people talking about how pretty John Wick: Chapter 2 is.

Rome is stunning, of course, but it's not just that.

cubm9mgwiaeh4kaq2rsz.jpg

cubm_g1xgaalek3msq1l.jpg

cubnafexyaexkxudxpod.jpg

cubncwswyaa2dzavkrei.jpg

It's like the club aesthetic was taken from the first movie and draped over the second. Everything is so colorful, vibrant, and modern-looking - it's a great eye-catching compliment to the highly kinetic and energetic nature of the movie. The set designs are really gorgeous, too. This movie's a real looker in every respect I can think of.

See. I'm not all snark.

Love it love it love it. The visual style in this is so good.

TheFlow

Banned
Transporter 1 I liked, but the others I enjoyed, but wouldn't say that they're really good. Crank is such a ridiculous buy crazy ride that it's definitely good. I forgot about that one for some reason.
Other than that I'd probably put Parker and Safe toward the top of my Statham list. As much as I like Jet Li I didn't really care for War.

Can't wait for JW2. I suspect it will do quite well at the box office as JW really caught on after its theatrical run ended.
Wait what is jw?

Bishop89

That Every Frame a Painting vid has to count for something. Surely more than making claims you are incapable of backing up? :)

But if I've not contributed anything of worth thus far, then let me change that:

Expertly choreographed action sequences and adept camera work are a given in a John Wick sequel, but I don't really see many people talking about how pretty John Wick: Chapter 2 is.

Rome is stunning, of course, but it's not just that.

cubm9mgwiaeh4kaq2rsz.jpg

cubm_g1xgaalek3msq1l.jpg

cubnafexyaexkxudxpod.jpg

cubncwswyaa2dzavkrei.jpg

It's like the club aesthetic was taken from the first movie and draped over the second. Everything is so colorful, vibrant, and modern-looking - it's a great eye-catching complement to the highly kinetic and energetic nature of the movie. The set designs are really gorgeous, too. This movie's a real looker in every respect I can think of.

See. I'm not all snark.
This movie looks amazing.

Keanu is The man

The Fury Road of 2017

Eh, I'm hyped as fuck, but please don't do that.

Because it's buried and dead at the end of the previous page:

The Equalizer was a laughable, overly-serious cliche fest with severe tonal problems and a narrative that was all over the map and couldn't decide when to end (movie has, like, three different ending moments). It's also 20-30 minutes too long. The villain was hilariously over-the-top in just how evil he was; entirely one-note. The movie fucking cuts from him brutally strangling a prostitute to a super corny baseball game.

Movie was also predictable as all hell and fell back on the "mysterious stranger with a heart of gold and a badass past" trope, which has been done ten times better by The Man from Nowhere.

John Wick puts The Equalizer to shame.

The Equalizer's villain was a moustache-twirling bore with zero depth or nuance. I...really wish I had seen the same movie as some of you here.

If only Dredd caught the action sequel wave ;_;

My turn to pipe in with a controversial action movie opinion. I thought Dredd was just okay. After watching the Raid, I thought Dredd's megaplex was a bit tame for a hive of scum and villainy. Two dudes with sniper rifles was more tense and intimidating than one big minigun tearing through apartments.

No IMAX showings and barely any screens thanks to Lego and 50 Shades. FML. Oh well, tickets booked for Sat, hopefully gets a quick 4k BR release.

And just to throw my 2 cents in, Equalizer is shit compared to Wick (still enjoyable and worth a watch though).

I feel very strongly about this, so I'll say it again:

The Raid
Dredd
John Wick
Fury Road

These are the four pillars of the action genre now. I feel these films are the reason the genre isn't on life support. They are classic masterpieces that are worthy of the same conversation as films like Die Hard.

Chumley

Banned

The Raid
Dredd
John Wick
Fury Road

These are the four pillars of the action genre now. I feel these films are the reason the genre isn't on life support. They are classic masterpieces that are worthy of the same conversation as films like Die Hard.

Totally agreed though I'd put John Wick and Fury Road ahead of the other two.

TheFlow

Banned

The Raid
Dredd
John Wick
Fury Road

John wick and dredd are not on the same level as the other. Classic masterpieces fee wrong to say

The Raid
Dredd
John Wick
Fury Road

Not even one of the Fast and Furious movies?

I like those, but no, they're not on the same level as those four

Yeah. I'd say that when it comes to pop-culture and cinema, the F&F films have their place and time, but none of them can really stand as "classic" action cinema.

This is a study in which films are directed with a deft hand and a keen eye for holding shots and allowing incredible choreography do the work. It's when a honed and focused narrative comes together with energetic pacing, gorgeous cinematography and camerawork, and insane action.

Choppy editing almost always disqualifies an action film from being considered "GOAT" material.

TheFlow

Banned
Uh, most film nerds agree with that sentiment? Doesn't feel wrong to say in the slightest when it's a widely accepted opinion.
Film nerds? Is that what they are calling us now. I just prefer the term movie buff. And widely accepted by who? i know all those films are widely praised but I have never seen someone put dredd and john wick on the same leve as fury road till now.

Yeah. I'd say that when it comes to pop-culture and cinema, the F&F films have their place and time, but none of them can really stand as "classic" action cinema.

This is a study in which films are directed with a deft hand and a keen eye for holding shots and allowing incredible choreography do the work. It's when a honed and focused narrative comes together with energetic pacing, gorgeous cinematography and camerawork, and insane action.

Choppy editing almost always disqualifies an action film from being considered "GOAT" material.
What F&F does best is 1) somehow continue to reinvent and top itself with each sequel while still maintaining what makes the series good, something most action franchises seem unable to do, and 2) puts an insane amount of effort into practical effects and stunts. Those elements are its legacy within the action genre IMO

Film nerds? Is that what they are calling us now. I just prefer the term movie buff. And widely accepted by who? i know all those films are widely praised but I have never seen someone put dredd and john wick on the same leve as fury road till now.

I've read a few articles in the last week which talk about John Wick 2 and discuss how the first film became an instant classic.

So it's not just me saying it. I'm not pulling this out of my ass.

All I'm saying is, there's a reason you're seeing John Wick being talked about today to the extent people are, and not The Equalizer.

Edit: I just threw "film nerd" out there for shits and giggles. I prefer "film buff" as well.

TheFlow

Banned
I've read a few articles in the last week which talk about John Wick 2 and discuss how the first film became an instant classic.

So it's not just me saying it. I'm not pulling this out of my ass.

All I'm saying is, there's a reason you're seeing John Wick being talked about today to the extent people are, and not The Equalizer.
I would assume There would be more articles and threads about it giving the sequel comes out this Friday.

Just because someone writes an article about something doesn't necessarily make it true and what not. There are people who gave stuff like BvS raving reviews so it depends on the source

Like I said I know John wick is a widely praised movie but I don't agree with some of the reviews for it especially the people who called it the rebirth of the action genre.

What F&F does best is 1) somehow continue to reinvent and top itself with each sequel while still maintaining what makes the series good, something most action franchises seem unable to do, and 2) puts an insane amount of effort into practical effects and stunts. Those elements are its legacy within the action genre IMO

Yeah the amount and sheer scale of practical stunts and action set pieces they do is incredible.

Fast 6 is flawed, but has some amazing variety of action. Car chases with flip cars, martial arts, raw and brutal girl fight, tank chase, wrestling, and the best ensemble team working together to take down an enemy set piece toward the end with the endless runway.

Don't forget it's unashamedly multi-cultural and multi-ethnic cast.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Fast 5 is legit but it's plagued with shitty prequels and over the top sequels.

Except Tokyo Drift. It had charm and ridiculous shit like a Hulk Car. I cannot hate Tokyo Drift.

5 is a legit entertaining action movie though.

TheFlow

Banned
Except Tokyo Drift. It had charm and ridiculous shit like a Hulk Car. I cannot hate Tokyo Drift.

5 is a legit entertaining action movie though.

we just became friends. plus the theme song is soo catchy.

I honestly think that movie made people want to drift for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom