• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Wick: Chapter 2 |OT| I Know Gun Fu

Status
Not open for further replies.

S1kkZ

E6dZso1.gif
W5TSxUV.gif

savage
rekt
beaten

few films achieve the editing and pacing quality of john wicks hand to hand/gun action scenes. especially not the fucking equalizer...

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Equalizer is the same thing we've had for years with the Borne movies and that ilk... shakey snap shots and quick cuts. Denzel is a baller but when you step away it's the same old thing we've had over and over again.

John Wick was a world and a style we hadn't really seen before. On top of that is was laser clear and directed story wise but when we start talking action? I have a hard time taking this argument seriously. John Wick just puts on a constant clinic of how to do cinematic action correctly and Equalizer just does everything in the "so now you're making a move: Action for Dummies" booklet.

Mah boy John would double tap that lonely ass Denzel without a second thought. And it would look glorious and would be framed perfectly. :p

TheFlow

Banned
Equalizer is the same thing we've had for years with the Borne movies and that ilk... shakey snap shots and quick cuts. Denzel is a baller but when you step away it's the same old thing we've had over and over again.

John Wick was a world and a style we hadn't really seen before. On top of that is was laser clear and directed story wise but when we start talking action? I have a hard time taking this argument seriously. John Wick just puts on a constant clinic of how to do cinematic action correctly and Equalizer just does everything in the "so now you're making a move: Action for Dummies" booklet.

Mah boy John would double tap that lonely ass Denzel without a second thought. And it would look glorious and would be framed perfectly. :p
Wick has the better editing for sure. not denying that.

Equalizer isn't as bad as the bourne films when it comes to the camera.

The first bourne legit gave me a headache.

all this talk got me in the mood to go watch one of the greats.

onilink88

Best thing about kick ass

I believe I'm beginning to understand your criteria for a good action film given you've somehow managed to see anything good in that mess.

By extension, I also understand why you think The Equalizer is a better action movie than John Wick. It seems you favor spastic editing, cutting, and camera work designed to appeal to people with the attention spans of ADHD-addled thirteen year-olds.

I suppose if I'm going to trash your standards, though, I ought to show you mine, so here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

Between The Equalizer and John Wick, the latter does a better job - a much better job - of abiding by the tenets of creating a good action flick.

Truth to be told, I don't get the love for John Wick.

It's not hard to understand. John Wick...

...is fast-paced and unrelenting in its action
...has some of the best choreographed gunplay I've ever seen in a film
...has exquisite world-building
...is visually and aurally a very stylish film
...is very compact and focused in execution, ducking under the excesses that plague many action films
...has Keanu playing the "guy you just don't fuck with" role flawlessly
...has a surprising knack for comedic timing
...has a fantastic cast

Take your picks. There is a litany of reasons to love John Wick.

-griffy-

Banned
Wick has the better editing for sure. not denying that.

Equalizer isn't as bad as the bourne films when it comes to the camera.

The first bourne legit gave me a headache.

all this talk got me in the mood to go watch one of the greats.

The first Bourne doesn't even have crazy shaky cam, that started with Supremacy when Paul Greengrass came on as director.

TheFlow

Banned
I believe I'm beginning to understand your criteria for a good action film given you've somehow managed to see anything good in that mess.

By extension, I also understand why you think The Equalizer is a better action movie than John Wick. It seems you favor spastic editing, cutting, and camera work designed to appeal to people with the attention spans of ADHD-addled thirteen year-olds.

I suppose if I'm going to trash your standards, though, I ought to show you mine, so here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

Between The Equalizer and John Wick, the latter does a better job - a much better job - of abiding by the tenets of creating a good action flick.

It's not hard to understand. John Wick...

...is fast-paced and unrelenting in its action
...has some of the best choreographed gunplay I've ever seen in a film
...has exquisite world-building
...is visually and aurally a very stylish film
...is very compact and focused in execution, ducking under the excesses that plague many action films
...has Keanu playing the "guy you just don't fuck with" role flawlessly
...has a surprising knack for comedic timing
...has a fantastic cast

Take your picks. There is a litany of reasons to love John Wick.
Sorry but this post is pure trash and offensive.

I clearly stated she was the best thing out of kick ass.

I enjoyed the equalizer more than john wick. Doesn't mean I have bad taste or none the like. Like I said why does someone's taste and standards come in to play when someone prefers something different?

That Jackie chan video is a classic. I referenced it a while back in the movie gaf thread.

But yea nice way to dismiss someone

Griffy I got it mixed up with bond: QoS

3N16MA

Banned
I enjoyed The Equalizer more than John Wick. That being said they are both enjoyable action films. I don't have to hate one because I like the other.

onilink88

I clearly stated she was the best thing out of kick ass.

I see. But I hope you can understand how I would make that mistake given that both of those movies are extremely flawed. Flawed in an identical fashion, which is being succinctly demonstrated in that gif.

I enjoyed the equalizer more than john wick. Doesn't mean I have bad taste or none the like. Like I said why does someone's taste and standards come in to play when someone prefers something different?

John wick was a solid movie but GAF has romanticized this more than any other movie I have seen lately.

Equalizer was the better action movie that year.

You've claimed that The Equalizer is a better action movie than John Wick but haven't made a single cogent argument as to why that is. Sorry, but I have every right to question your standards to hell and back until you do.

But yea nice way to dismiss someone

See, what you're doing is the equivalent of telling me that Scary Movie is as good a spoof movie as Hot Shots or, worse yet, Airplane!. I can't help but be dismissive.

TheFlow

Banned
I see. But I hope you can understand how I would make that mistake given that both of those movies are extremely flawed. Flawed in an identical fashion, which is being succinctly demonstrated in that gif.

You've claimed that The Equalizer is a better action movie than John Wick but haven't made a single cogent argument as to why that is. Sorry, but I have every right to question your standards to hell and back until you do.

See, what you're doing is the equivalent of telling me that Scary Movie is as good a spoof movie as Hot Shots or, worse yet, Airplane!. I can't help but be dismissive.
Lol with this entitlement. You wouldn't last long in the movie ot.

You lost any right of an explanation when you insulted my taste in your first reply. There are ways to argue an opinion without coming off as a dick which you have failed to do.

Me thinking equalizer is better action movie than john wick doesn't require that type of response. I like both

Word of advice. insulting someone's taste/ standards is always a no no when discussing movies. Others posters proved there points without even mentioning my views

onilink88

Lol with this entitlement. You wouldn't last long in the movie ot.

You lost any right of an explanation when you insulted my taste in your first reply. There are ways to argue an opinion without coming off as a dick which you have failed to do.

Me thinking equalizer is better action movie than john wick doesn't require that type of response. I like both

That's fine; I don't plan to stay here too long. But I don't know why you're taking this so personally. I find your standards highly questionable. I've not made one attempt on your person.

Anyhow, I wasn't really expecting an answer from you, seeing as how you haven't managed to provide one to others who've asked. So. We're moving along now, I guess?

TheFlow

Banned
That's fine; I don't plan to stay here too long. But I don't know why you're taking this so personally. I find your standards highly questionable. I've not made one attempt on your person.

Anyhow, I wasn't really expecting an answer from you, seeing as how you haven't managed to provide one to others who've asked. So. We're moving along now, I guess?
Ty because you have added nothing of value to the thread :3

kmfdmpig

I like both as well. I'd put Wick above Equalizer, but for me if Wick is a 10 then Equalizer is a solid 8.5 or so. Denzel is so damn good that he elevates the rest, although I think it's true that if it were just a random generic actor (take Armie Hammer as an example because he's as generic as it gets) then it would not be nearly as entertaining as the cinematography and direction are nowhere near as good as they are in Wick.

Personally, I'm glad that we have both and both are getting sequels.

TheFlow

Banned
I like both as well. I'd put Wick above Equalizer, but for me if Wick is a 10 then Equalizer is a solid 8.5 or so. Denzel is so damn good that he elevates the rest, although I think it's true that if it were just a random generic actor (take Armie Hammer as an example because he's as generic as it gets) then it would not be nearly as entertaining as the cinematography and direction are nowhere near as good as they are in Wick.

Personally, I'm glad that we have both and both are getting sequels.
I just hope equalizer 2 delivers unlike jack reacher 2.

Also guys I retract my statement about equalizer being the better action movie of 2014. I really did forget the raid 2 released in 2014. Can't believe it has been that long

3N16MA

Banned
What pushed The Equalizer over John Wick for me was Denzel had Marton Csokas playing a great villain. It helped pull me in. This is on top of Denzel and his ability to always give a convincing performance no matter the role.

Keanu was good, the action was great, world building solid, but it felt like John Wick was chasing an entitled asshat and his scared shitless father the entire film.

Both enjoyable and close on my scale.

Keanu was good, the action was great, world building solid, but it felt like John Wick was chasing an entitled asshat and his scared shitless father the entire film.

I mean, he was. It was a nice departure from the usually confident villains in this kind of movies. Everyone was scared of Wick

TheFlow

Banned
What pushed The Equalizer over John Wick for me was Denzel had Marton Csokas playing a great villain. It helped pull me in. This is on top of Denzel and his ability to always give a convincing performance no matter the role.

I wonder what John wick would of been like with Jason statham

overcast

The shithead son is pretty great. Spoiled brat son wakes up the most badass killer of them all. It just worked for me.

onilink88

Ty because you have added nothing of value to the thread :3

That Every Frame a Painting vid has to count for something. Surely more than making claims you are incapable of backing up? :)

But if I've not contributed anything of worth thus far, let me change that:

Expertly choreographed action sequences and adept camera work are a given in a John Wick sequel, but I don't really see many people talking about how pretty John Wick: Chapter 2 is.

Rome is stunning, of course, but it's not just that.

cubm9mgwiaeh4kaq2rsz.jpg

cubm_g1xgaalek3msq1l.jpg

cubnafexyaexkxudxpod.jpg

cubncwswyaa2dzavkrei.jpg

It's like the club aesthetic was taken from the first movie and draped over the second. Everything is so colorful, vibrant, and modern-looking - it's a great eye-catching complement to the highly kinetic and energetic nature of the movie. The set designs are really gorgeous, too. This movie's a real looker in every respect I can think of.

See. I'm not all snark.

Wait this is actually good?

I thought it would be like most sequels to cult hits and completely miss the plot.

It's actually good?

Oh fuck yes.

onilink88

Why are y'all still arguing with TheFlow? Dude's not going to change his opinion, just move on :p

I don't think anyone's confronting him with the intention of changing his opinion; that'd be fairly vain. John Wick came out and got the reception it deserves from critics as well as the general audiences. He and his ilk are background noise at the most. My issue (I imagine others' as well) with what he's said lies here:

John wick was a solid movie but GAF has romanticized this more than any other movie I have seen lately.

Equalizer was the better action movie that year.

He's accusing the rest of us of seeing John Wick in an unjustifiable light, as if he (and his fringe peers) is the only one capable of seeing it for what it really is. If he's going to do that, then he should at least have the decency to say why. But as I'm sure you can see, he's above that, whether you ask him to nicely or not. Where he comes from, explaining why you think the things you do is not standard procedure in a discussion/debate. Asking for that apparently demonstrates entitlement.

He's absolutely not obligated to explain himself, but by the same token, he shouldn't expect what he says to hold any weight or value to the rest of us.

My 4K bluray of the first movie just arrived. I was planning on wait 'til this weekend to watch it, then immediately go see part two, but I'm kind of dying to watch it.

I don't dislike The Equalizer because I love John Wick (I dislike The Equalizer because of the reasons I stated in an early post somewhere), but damn...that's quite an illuminating example of the superior filmmaking on display in Wick.

Edit:

Here we are

The Equalizer was a laughable, overly-serious cliche fest with severe tonal problems and a narrative that was all over the map and couldn't decide when to end (movie has, like, three different ending moments). It's also 20-30 minutes too long. The villain was hilariously over-the-top in just how evil he was; entirely one-note. The movie fucking cuts from him brutally strangling a prostitute to a super corny baseball game.

Movie was also predictable as all hell and fell back on the "mysterious stranger with a heart of gold and a badass past" trope, which has been done ten times better by The Man from Nowhere.

John Wick puts The Equalizer to shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom