• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Wick: Chapter 2 |OT| I Know Gun Fu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Experien

Saw it last night and, I enjoyed it. Some good scenes, some funny scenes.
But I do believe I enjoyed the fights more in the first one, they seem situational and changing his mode of combat vs this which was just long sequences of mostly the same.

Redders

Up to 96% now after 24 reviews. Will it keep climbing and how high will it go?

I'm slowly counting down until the 17th.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I know it is highly unlikely...but I would lose my shit if they use another Kaleida song for the soundtrack contrast to another bloodbath.

That song "Think" accentuated the fuck out of the Red Circle bathhouse scene.

The downtempo track was def highly effective. Subverts the notion you need high octane tracks for those type of scenes.

Huh you posted a review of John wick 2? not sure if I am missing something. Glad it got a good score. the movie seems be a big improvement on the first.

why do you need to have your opinion validated by so many random review sites though? just curious. Film buffs don't do this.

your snippet reminds me how studios pull the best sentences from reviews and post them on their boxes and trailers hoping people will latch on.

Meh.

http://www.vox.com/2017/2/8/14487112/john-wick-rules

I said "classic", most people agree, that's all that matters to me. You do you.

Foggy

A tv series could work but it has so many hurdles to get over in order to be as good as it should be.

As for the discussion of other recent action greats, I'm not as high on Dredd. It's excellent but the novelty of doing an uncompromising Dredd movie carries a lot of it. There's not much in the execution of action that stacks up to what Mad Max, Wick, and Raid 1 and 2 have done.

As for Fast and Furious, the last couple I would more just compare to superhero action to be honest.

Loxley

How the fuck did this nightmare fuel happen?

cIOHAe6.png

Llyranor

As for the discussion of other recent action greats, I'm not as high on Dredd. It's excellent but the novelty of doing an uncompromising Dredd movie carries a lot of it. There's not much in the execution of action that stacks up to what Mad Max, Wick, and Raid 1 and 2 have done.
I tend to agree. I really enjoy Dredd, but the quality of its action scenes do not reach the aforementioned.

Equalizer doesn't even compare? lol wut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y28SoWEnPHY

the only thing I will agree with is the bad guys were definitely more interesting in John wick. but Equalizer still had style.

hell Denzel's character was also a living legend in the movie.

What does my criteria for a good action movie has to do with this.

John Wick is not miles better.

as other fans of the genre have said. people have been craving a legit action movie for a while and John Wick happened to scratch that nick.

Ehh, I wish the action scenes in The Equaliser were shot in a more interesting manner than the typical quick cuts and confusing space. I like the Sherlock-ness to the character, but the cinematography with the quick cuts aren't up to snuff, especially when you compare to Guy Ritchie's Sherlock movies (fight club, forest chase, Moriarty fight). The only action in that movie that had good spatial awareness is the diner kill.

Denzel had better action in The Book Of Eli, with much longer cuts.

TheFlow

Banned
Ehh, I wish the action scenes in The Equaliser were shot in a more interesting manner than the typical quick cuts and confusing space. I like the Sherlock-ness to the character, but the cinematography with the quick cuts aren't up to snuff, especially when you compare to Guy Ritchie's Sherlock movies (fight club, forest chase, Moriarty fight). The only action in that movie that had good spatial awareness is the diner kill.

Denzel had better action in The Book Of Eli, with much longer cuts.
Fair enough.

I give John Wick the credit for better action scenes, visuals, and world building.

TheFlow

Banned
Any idea if OG John Wick will come to Netflix or Amazon Prime video soon? Would love to see it before the original.
Doubt it.

Good news is if you live in a place with Redbox you can rent it for 1.50 which is still cheaper than most places.

I know they brought back JW to Redbox in time for the movies

3N16MA

Banned
You guys still arguing over John Wick and The Equalizer?

Just enjoy that JW2 may improve upon the original and if you like The Equalizer you get a sequel to that too.

You guys still arguing over John Wick and The Equalizer?

Just enjoy that JW2 may improve upon the original and if you like The Equalizer you get a sequel to that too.

I think we've exhausted that debate. At least for my part I've established that one is widely regarded as a classic, while the other is not. ;)

I'm cool with people preferring whichever movie they want. They could prefer Thor 2 and I'd be cool with it.

TheFlow

Banned
I think we've exhausted that debate. At least for my part I've established that one is widely regarded as a classic, while the other is not. ;)

I'm cool with people preferring whichever movie they want. They could prefer Thor 2 and I'd be cool with it.
Equalizer is a classic?

How many reviews do movies usually settle at? Usually you get a bunch of early reviews that bring the rating up high, but then the major sites even things out.

But considering that the major sites already have their reviews up, that would be really impressive if John Wick 2 stays that high

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
How many reviews do movies usually settle at? Usually you get a bunch of early reviews that bring the rating up high, but then the major sites even things out.

But considering that the major sites already have their reviews up, that would be really impressive if John Wick 2 stays that high

Yeah, we're still early in the RT game. For comparison Fury Road is over 300 reviews at 97%

TheFlow

Banned

Give it couple of months

Equalizer is a classic?

Since you asked, this article (one of many I could continue to post) talks about the influences, styles, and elements that come together to make The Equalizer an "instant classic":

http://screenrant.com/john-wick-2-sequel-facts-trivia-keanu-reeves/?view=all

This mix of classic influences has given The Equalizer (
actually it's John Wick
) an almost timeless quality that’s made it an instant classic.

I can keep posting articles, if you like. There's about a half-dozen from various film sites. It's not just a bunch of movie poster "buzz words". Each of these articles provides an analysis of what Wick does so well, on an objective level in terms of filmmaking craft.

I firmly believe that, when it comes to cinema, there's personal preference (which is all that matters, in the end), and then an objective look at what is technically considered "good filmmaking". I don't enjoy Citizen Kane, on a subjective level, but objectively I have to acknowledge it's status as a classic masterpiece for the influence it holds in the craft.

:p

You just said it yourself that you acknowledge the things Wick does better than The Equalizer, which are the things that really matter in action cinema. So objectively, you've acknowledged the elements that help to elevate it to "classic" status.

Okay, now I'm really done with this debate. I promise. :D

3N16MA

Banned

It's important to look at the average rating along with the %. JW2 has a 7.5 rating which is solid, but could lead to that % dropping a few points down to the low 90s. Just for a comparison, Rogue Nation is 93% fresh along with a 7.5 average rating on 259 reviews.

However the positive reviews so far makes the possibility of 90% or better very high.

TheFlow

Banned
Since you asked, this article (one of many I could continue to post) talks about the influences, styles, and elements that come together to make The Equalizer an "instant classic":

http://screenrant.com/john-wick-2-sequel-facts-trivia-keanu-reeves/?view=all

I can keep posting articles, if you like. There's about a half-dozen from various film sites. It's not just a bunch of movie poster "buzz words". Each of these articles provides an analysis of what Wick does so well, on an objective level in terms of filmmaking craft.

I firmly believe that, when it comes to cinema, there's personal preference (which is all that matters, in the end), and then an objective look at what is technically considered "good filmmaking". I don't enjoy Citizen Kane, on a subjective level, but objectively I have to acknowledge it's status as a classic masterpiece for the influence it holds in the craft.

:p

You just said it yourself that you acknowledge the things Wick does better than The Equalizer, which are the things that really matter in action cinema. So objectively, you've acknowledged the elements that help to elevate it to "classic" status.

Okay, now I'm really done with this debate. I promise. :D
A dozen articles calling it a classic means it is widely considered a classic? Lol at bringing up a real classic like citizen Kane. Dead

Most film buffs don't obsess over reviews like you do. Learn to call it quits man instead of derailing the thread. XD

A dozen articles calling it a classic means it is widely considered a classic? Lol at bringing up a real classic like citizen Kane. Dead

Most film buffs don't obsess over reviews like you do. Learn to call it quits man instead of derailing the thread. XD
Pretty much. If reviews were the measure, The Thing and The Shining were merely mediocre movies when they released

Quality and time decide if something is a classic. Not reviews

Hey don't look at me. You're the staunch detractor here who keeps coming back for more despite your lukewarm "meh" attitude towards the film.

You keep getting all pissy every time I support my claims of it being a "classic action film", giving me absolutely nothing to go on by writing my citations off as "an obsession with reviews" (those were ARTICLES I posted, structured to incite discussion; they are not reviews, if you'd actually care to read). I'm fostering discussion in a debate about what one action film does better than the other. It's relevant because John Wick, like Fury Road or The RAID, is keeping the genre alive, and it's being talked about because of the sequel.

You've done nothing to counter my points, so the only person derailing the thread with "lol obsessed, lol Citizen Kane", is you.

Move on. This little verbal joust scores in my favor.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I'm excited to see this but really?

People comparing this to Mad Max: Fury Road? Doubt it.

Both films have remained in the popular conversation about the genre over the last few years.

Add those to The Raid, along with Dredd, and these are the films people have talking about for 5 years when discussing the action genre.

It's all about the discussion and the influences these films have had.

TheFlow

Banned
Pretty much. If reviews were the measure, The Thing and The Shining were merely mediocre movies when they released

Quality and time decide if something is a classic. Not reviews
Ty. You phrased better than I could

I gave john wick a 4/5 when I first saw it and plan to see the second this weekend. I wouldn't be in this thread if I didn't like the movie lol.

Ty. You phrased better than I could

I gave john wick a 4/5 when I first saw it and plan to see the second this weekend. I wouldn't be in this thread if I didn't like the movie lol.

Ah, fair enough. I thought you were in here just "meh'ing" your way through discussion.

My bad, on that point.

3N16MA

Banned

The RT % is fooling some people. The average rating of JW2 is nowhere close to Fury Road.

The only one who can decide if this is better than any other film is the viewer. Someone else's review shouldn't decide for anyone.

TheFlow

Banned
Ah, fair enough. I thought you were in here just "meh'ing" your way through discussion.

My bad, on that point.
Lol. If you scroll back I have not dismissed anyone's viewpoints and actually agreed with a lot of the posters here when they presented there wick>equalizer argument

The RT % is fooling some people. The average rating of JW2 is nowhere close to Fury Road.

The only one who can decide if this is better than any other film is the viewer. Someone else's review shouldn't decide for anyone.

Yeah, I'm seeing an average rating of 8/10 for JW2.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Just got out of an advance screening of this.

I'd say the action was more enjoyable than the first film, and it's pretty much non stop.

The real star of this film for me though, is the absolutely incredible VFX work used removing the camera from reflections. They do this A LOT in this film, and it is one of my favourite movie magic tricks in existence.

Technically speaking, this film was amazingly shot.

Abelard

I know it is highly unlikely...but I would lose my shit if they use another Kaleida song for the soundtrack contrast to another bloodbath.

That song "Think" accentuated the fuck out of the Red Circle bathhouse scene.

And here I thought I was the only one that noticed that! Yeah the song was awesome and I liked how he was just silently assassinating dudes to the song... honestly the "silent assassination" part of that scene should be longer, show more stealth kills to the mellow music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom