• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Johto Pokémon to come to Pokémon GO this week [update now live]

vareon

Well, my first night out catching and caught a slew of dark Pokemon and some hoothoots, so this might be in play already?

It's daytime in my zone but I saw some Hoothoots. I don't think there's a time mechanic for now.

Got about 10 new Pokemon on the trip to office to day. It's great.

Cynar

I love being able to care about catching common Pokemon again, but yeesh this update brought a lot of Niantic's greed to the forefront. Half off box expansions instead of making the box large enough to catch every Pokemon, the new clothing options costing ridiculous amounts of coins... to say nothing about how the "special item" evolutions still require just as much candy alongside the special items.

You want to catch them all? You'll grind forever and you'll like it. Oh, and you'll fork over real life cash to expand your box, because screw you.
A game I play almost every day while I'm out for my walks is with the $12.99 I dropped today for coins to upgrade my storage. Plus the game has been out for July. You've had ample opportunity to build up a coin bank. I have no sympathy for you and I'm glad Niantic is finally doing a lot of good with their updates.

Le-mo

I had the hardest time catching a Togetic tonight. I spent about 50 berries and ultra balls with no luck. I thought the game had glitched because I couldn't believe how difficult it was to catch one pokemon. Then I gave up and went with no berries and just great ball and I caught it after about 5 tries.

So when are they getting rid of the Gen 1 Regional Exclusivity?

Been waiting for the regionals to round out my Pokedex as I have absolutely zero interest in Gen 2.

Laieon

Gotta catch 'em all.

I mean, I know what you're getting at and being able to trade would be great (battling will probably never be the same as the 'real' games), but would also kinda defeat the purpose of GO. There are no 'version exclusives' or anything like that. Of course there's the 4(?) region exclusive Pokémon, but I don't think online trading would be a thing. Too many people will trade hacked Pokémon with people from around the world, which could result in getting them banned. Trading will probably only be with people who are around you at that moment, which I'm perfectly fine with.

The power of Pokémon GO, as I experienced it, is the (groups of) people who go out and hunt for Pokémon. People recognizing other people as Pokémon trainers and telling 'em they just caught a rare Pokémon around the corner. People being excited because they finally caught that Pokémon they needed or wanted so bad all that time. Trading would ruin that magic. On top of that it could create dangerous situations for kids who'll go meet strangers from the internet to go trade Pokémon with.

Tl;dr: At least to me, Pokémon GO is all about catching them (all). Trading would be a nice addition to get that one last Pokémon you still need that your friend has 4 of, but it would kind of defeat the purpose of the game. Battling will probably never be the same as in the 3DS games, because... You know... They'd probably want you to buy the 3DS games if you want that.

edit: It's mid-winter in Holland right now and kinda cold. After they didn't drop it in December, I was expecting them to fully launch Gen 2 around ~June with some teases like the babies in between. I guess they are saving Gen 3 for summer then, seeing as I don't know anyone who would go out in the snow/cold just to catch some Pokémon. I think the game was huge in the summer because everyone was already outside anyway. Might as well catch some Pokémon.

Couldn't agree with this post anymore if I tried.

To me, Pokemon is significantly more about catching them all then it is being the very best like no one ever was.

Plus the game has been out for July.

Not everywhere. I'm in Korea, we just got it a few weeks ago.

Nightbird

Made a few rounds around the block

sTjjfeF.png

I think thats pretty good so far

Hoo-doo

Banned
Gotta catch 'em all.

I mean, I know what you're getting at and being able to trade would be great (battling will probably never be the same as the 'real' games), but would also kinda defeat the purpose of GO. There are no 'version exclusives' or anything like that. Of course there's the 4(?) region exclusive Pokémon, but I don't think online trading would be a thing. Too many people will trade hacked Pokémon with people from around the world, which could result in getting them banned. Trading will probably only be with people who are around you at that moment, which I'm perfectly fine with.

The power of Pokémon GO, as I experienced it, is the (groups of) people who go out and hunt for Pokémon. People recognizing other people as Pokémon trainers and telling 'em they just caught a rare Pokémon around the corner. People being excited because they finally caught that Pokémon they needed or wanted so bad all that time. Trading would ruin that magic. On top of that it could create dangerous situations for kids who'll go meet strangers from the internet to go trade Pokémon with.

Tl;dr: At least to me, Pokémon GO is all about catching them (all). Trading would be a nice addition to get that one last Pokémon you still need that your friend has 4 of, but it would kind of defeat the purpose of the game. Battling will probably never be the same as in the 3DS games, because... You know... They'd probably want you to buy the 3DS games if you want that.

edit: It's mid-winter in Holland right now and kinda cold. After they didn't drop it in December, I was expecting them to fully launch Gen 2 around ~June with some teases like the babies in between. I guess they are saving Gen 3 for summer then, seeing as I don't know anyone who would go out in the snow/cold just to catch some Pokémon. I think the game was huge in the summer because everyone was already outside anyway. Might as well catch some Pokémon.

Exactly. People continuously whining about trainer battles and trading are acting like this app is supposed to be more of a game than it was ever designed to be.

Bet on it that, when trading/battling gets implemented in some way, that people on here will be crying about how it's not easy enough and you're supposed to be able to trade without any restrictions.
That's simply not how it works, this game is 100% about getting together to go out and walk around catching Pokémon. It's not about you trading your way to a 100% completed Pokédex because you have this desire to min-max the system and treat it like a Pokémon RPG. This game isn't supposed to be 'beaten' in a straight line. It's a service.

Again, it's an augmented reality app for taking walks. It doesn't have the same goals as the DS/3DS Pokemon games have and it likely never will.

Uh, giving nicknames to Pokemon?

Delete app and hand in your gaming license.

You need to hand in your common freaking sense license first. Deal?

Nightbird

For a second there I wondered why you had given them all really weird nicknames...

My actual Nicknames would be less creative than that haha, it would be things like calling each and every Slowpoke/Slowbro that i catch "Alzheimer" haha

Uh, giving nicknames to Pokemon?

Delete app and hand in your gaming license.

Have you ever heard of an Nuzlocke challenge?

This made me laugh hard lol

Top Bottom