• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezalc

So after watching the amazing anime series that went through parts 1 and 2, I started reading the rest of the Jojo adventures. Finished part 3, still kind of bummed at how limited Joseph seemed to be compared to part 2 where he could outwit basically everybody. I also don't get the hype behind Jotaro, he isn't as interesting as Joseph and he isn't as smart. Star Platinum is somewhat of a boring stand in terms of it's powers but I guess that's what made it more interesting to see it overcome the enemies? Anyways, odd that Polnareff got so much development compared to everybody else makes it seem like Araki was playing favorites by far there. Also I was sad to see what happened to the party at the end :C.

I'm moving on to part 4, managed to find the retranslated version because I couldn't make it through the "Duwang" series. This should be fun. I should be all caught up and reading Jojolion in about a month or so maybe.

One thing I feel with stands is that, while the different powers and etc are pretty awesome, it just means that the user almost always just does nothing on the side while the stand goes off and fights. This wasn't the case when it was still about using ripple to kick ass and I guess with stands that actually promote that kind of thing, like how Joseph can use his stand to give him more reach (find it odd how even though Joseph's stand are thorny vines nobody ever seems to be effected by the thorns on the thing.)

I can only hope we get a protag as awesome as Joseph.

THIS.

He is so useless in Part 3. What annoys me more is he never once uses the Ripple.

Not true

He right(or left) arm was hijacked by an enemy stand user. He tried to use ripple against it. It failed and the enemy told him that ripple fails as they knew about it already.

jgminto

I thought it was odder that Jotaro let his
time stop
weaken through the parts. For Joseph it makes sense for him to not worry about it since it fits his attitude and he had nothing to do for decades. But Jotaro was still tracking down stand users and the
arrows.
I'd think Jotaro would have kept in good condition for that.

I thought it was odder that Jotaro let his
time stop
weaken through the parts. For Joseph it makes sense for him to not worry about it since it fits his attitude and he had nothing to do for decades. But Jotaro was still tracking down stand users and the
arrows.
I'd think Jotaro would have kept in good condition for that.

More than likely a story choice to not let a character become uber powerful in his fantasy world.

Akari was probably trying to avoid with what happened with Fugo in part 5.

Beckx

I like how badass old Joseph looks in the anime preview. I think drawing older characters wasn't Araki's strong suit back then and trying to add in Joseph's antics resulted in "Oh My God face."

Madao

i've been playing the JoJo PS3 game recently and also started rewatching last year's anime.

i made a new file in Zelda OoT and wanted to see how fun it could become with some Dio in it so i made this:

MRdhXMR.jpg

Tizoc

Hey guys, the new Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan is out in English now

Reading it now!
I like how
Rohan has his name written in his underwear =V and that even fucking POACHING IS FABULOUS IN THE JOJO-VERSE!
The Chef still wearing his hat while going to the sea is too much lol
To quote Josef 'WHERE DID THE OCTOPUS COME FROM?!' I don't recall seeing one during the final pages, but an overall decent story

tumblr_muir8ldonT1r404weo1_400.jpg

tumblr_muir8ldonT1r404weo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_muipj95uqL1sqsi0po1_1280.png

tumblr_mufr3bYqiY1qzjz68o6_500.jpg

http://www.tumblr.com/reblog/63490807020/DZDiGOr3
tumblr_mucmdoZWZi1qm07f4o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mubs61xOJJ1qfugwzo1_500.png

Gazoinks

Yes, found the Jojo thread. This is pretty much the only loooooooooong fighting manga I can work up the enthusiasm to read. Because it is awesome. I started reading is this Summer, and I've read all the Parts except 5 and 8. 8 I've read part of but I decided I'd rather just wait and build up a bit more of a backlog because I don't like waiting on chapters. 5 I'm waiting for the retranslation project to get farther.

Arc Rankings (the most important thing, of course):

Part 6 > Part 7 > Part 4 > Part 2 > Part 3 > Part 1. From what I've read of Part 8 so far, it's shaping up to be pretty awesome. I really like Gappy's stand power.

One thing I feel with stands is that, while the different powers and etc are pretty awesome, it just means that the user almost always just does nothing on the side while the stand goes off and fights. This wasn't the case when it was still about using ripple to kick ass and I guess with stands that actually promote that kind of thing, like how Joseph can use his stand to give him more reach (find it odd how even though Joseph's stand are thorny vines nobody ever seems to be effected by the thorns on the thing.)

This is one of the things I like about Part 7. There're very few stands that're just a dude that shows up and punches people while the user hangs out. Most of the stands in that arc give the user a cool ability without necessarily having a physical form. It's kind of a trend Araki moved towards more and more as the series went on. Part 3 definitely has the most direct and least interesting Stands, overall.

Yo, I found JoJoGAF! (Thanks Gazoinks!)

I've marathoned JoJo the past month or so, starting from part 1 and running through to 4. I stopped at 5 because I'm waiting on the JoJo project scans, and read 7.
I'm reading 6 right now; it's hype too.

Ranks for my meager experience so far:

Part 7 > Part 2 > Part 4 >= Part 3 > Part 1

I'm extremely surprised by how damn solid the series started and remained and impressed by how much I liked every arc.

Gazoinks

I'm extremely surprised by how damn solid the series started

Except the anatomy. :p I was shocked when I learned Jojo and Dio are supposed to be like 12 at the beginning of the series. They look like bodybuilders! 'course some would argue Araki's gone too far in the other direction now.

Except the anatomy. :p I was shocked when I learned Jojo and Dio are supposed to be like 12 at the beginning of the series. They look like bodybuilders! 'course some would argue Araki's gone too far in the other direction now.

There's some quote (somewhere) where he says he wanted to, purposefully, have a super-muscular art style when he started Part 1. Besides that though, you must've been surprised when they became walls of meat after the time skip. That was when I finally went "Whaa?", before immediately getting on board.

IMO on the art though, the part 5 "GANG-STAR" is like the best panel I've ever seen.

Gazoinks

There's some quote (somewhere) where he says he wanted to, purposefully, have a super-muscular art style when he started Part 1. Besides that though, you must've been surprised when they became walls of meat after the time skip. That was when I finally went "Whaa?", before immediately getting on board.

IMO on the art though, the part 5 "GANG-STAR" is like the best panel I've ever seen.

Yeah, he was very clearly inspired by Fist of The North Star, and it's kind of a similar style. Although he did some pretty bizarre twisting of the anatomy for action scenes.

I really like Part 5's art and design, it's Araki at his most fabulous. I mean, Giorno's outfit! Donut hair! Heart chest!

In case anyone hasn't seen it, Out of Context Jojo is basically the best blog.

tumblr_mrbtm8R8b71qgp7t8o1_400.jpg

I cracked up so hard when I heard someone refer to Jojolion as "Four Ball Run".

Yeah, he was very clearly inspired by Fist of The North Star, and it's kind of a similar style. Although he did some pretty bizarre twisting of the anatomy for action scenes.

I really like Part 5's art and design, it's Araki at his most fabulous. I mean, Giorno's outfit! Donut hair! Heart chest!

Very true. Held true for awhile in general too. This infamous one for example:
Dio_Brando.jpg

That arm makes me giggle.

And I was surprised by how much I dug the crazy, off the wall, fabulous-ness. In context of reading it it flows really well.

Gazoinks

Very true. Held true for awhile in general too. This infamous one for example:
Dio_Brando.jpg

That arm makes me giggle.

And I was surprised by how much I dug the crazy, off the wall, fabulous-ness. In context of reading it it flows really well.

I'll never be able to unsee that now.

Yeah, you sort of get swept up in it and only realize how weird it is after the fact. I think it helps that there's rarely a straight-man character, the entire world is internally consistent in its ridiculous fabulousness.

I'll never be able to unsee that now.

Yeah, you sort of get swept up in it and only realize how weird it is after the fact. I think it helps that there's rarely a straight-man character, the entire world is internally consistent in its ridiculous fabulousness.

Same. (I tried to find one that includes a sketch of Dio's stretched arm from straight on, but couldn't locate it.)

And it does a fantastic job of keeping the pacing just right and keeping the focus on the story and not the poses. The poses just add to everything else instead.

Gazoinks

So I was just looking at the roster for All Star Battle, and no Foo Fighters confirmed? Come on! If you can incorporate that fat kid from Part 4 you can incorporate Jolyne's best sidekick! She'd better show up as a DLC character. Also weird that Kira is a DLC character.

Wonder how Pucci and Josuke (Jojolion) will play.

Tizoc

tumblr_msux0zR7jW1qhui9io1_1280.jpg

i fucking love jojo’s bizarre adventure it is the ONLY series where an antagonist will walk up to someone and just straight up pose menacingly

no stealthy tricks no hiding in the shadows

walk walk POSE

Gee, I sure do hope the part 3 has actual animation this time considering the first anime series was a slide show. I wonder if the punch ghosts will be CG or actually animated. (lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom