• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT PART 2| How many threads have you opened in your life?

Chase17

Jojo Part 5

Just to preface it, I'm coming from an anime viewer of parts 1-4 to this. Though I'll probably go back and read at least part 4 when that is officially released.

I had heard that this was jojo with gangsters, but was disappointed to see that the mob element is mostly insignificant. I really like the series from the start all the way to the first fight with The World King Crimson. After that is is just fine, with some stand out fights (like Metallica vs King Crimson, going to have to censor some of that for the anime lol). I was pretty compelled by the working your way up through the ranks, with Giorno having to earn the trust of people, to meet the boss. His shady instructions were also fun. Though I get why it had to turn when it did it just lost a lot of what it had going for it.

I think having Jotaro send Koichi to learn more about Giorno was a pretty good way to transition into the new story. Though there could have been a better way to close of that plot line.

Moving into the characters, I think this had a pretty good cast. I liked Giorno a lot through thirty chapters or so. The I want to be a Gang Star line is great. His peak is probably having Polpo commit suicide via banana gun. After that he's kind of boring to me. Everyone just talks about how everything he says goes that way. Dude gets roughed up throughout this part though. Gold Experience is absurd (mostly in a good way). Seems even Araki thought it was too broken and dropped the original elements to it (that attacking the things it creates reflects back to the user, and the increased consciousness if a living thing is hit, though that sort of reappears in the finale). Kind of just evolves into Crazy Diamond.

Bruno, Narancia, and Mista were all great. Wouldn't surprise me if Mista is a fan favorite. They all got the standard jojo backstory narrator spiel about why they are the way they are and it works. Didn't care for the Moody Blues guy. I figured something must have been up once Fugo barely participated in his stand's introductory battle. Then he just gets left on the dock and is never mentioned again ahahaha. Trish felt like a non factor and Spice Girl could have been used more. I'll get to the boss in a bit.

Strongest part about this arc are the fights. I think this has some of the best action from what I've seen in the series. Lots of creative stands and methods used to take it down. Even has a turtle house playing a role. Stand outs being Grateful Dead/Beach Boy, White Album, Metallica, White Album, and Clash/Talking Head.

Moving into the biggest problem with the series is the main antagonist and the conclusive battle. Diavolo is lame. Skipping/forecasting time was too similar to stopping time, and didn't really do much compel me. His main goal is just to stay unknown and and yet has a ridiculous get up. The Diavolo/Doppio thing is interesting for a bit (in particular the hilarious phone calls) but just kind of gets dropped towards the end and seems like an overdone handicap anyways.

Then of course Polnareff shows up two thirds into series to give a big plot dump out of nowhere and create a new end game. I don't like Polnareff, so him coming back to job to King Crimson would have been fine. But of course he gets to live on as a turtle, then a ghost inside of the turtle while Narancia's death is pretty much brushed past due to the situation.

Chariot Requiem was fairly uninteresting. As was Gold Experience Requiem. As was this whole Requiem thing being the end game. Past Jojo parts had great final acts. This didn't.

The epilogue was interesting by went on two chapters too long. Then we pretty much just get a panel of Giorno being a mob boss. I don't know what he does as a gangster, but he is one.

Some favorite lines:
The previously mentioned gang star line.
"There's a shark in my soup"
"White Album gently weeps"

Random Thoughts:
-Gold Experience and willpower kept Bruno around has a corpse for half the series, woah
-It's funny that the first half of the series is them killing people who (more or less) have the exact same goal as Giorno/Bruno.
-Rot guy guy Muda Muda'd a whole lot

Tl;dr
Jojo part 5 felt like a refined part 3. It doesn't really do anything to stand out from the series, but excels with the execution of its action. Polnareff sucks. Disappointed with the antagonist and the final act.

I'll probably read part 6 pretty soon. But kind of tempted to jump to 7.

cntr

Banned
Specifically, someone betrayed Araki in real life, and he felt too depressed about it to go through with the Fugo betraying the gang. There's a theory that he was supposed to kill Narancia, which is why his final death ended up so abrupt.

There's a novel starring Fugo called Purple Haze Feedback, which is generally considered pretty good. Haven't read it yet, but there's a complete translation out there.

Euphony

Banned
For as much as I love part 7 as it's my favorite, I'd really recommend against skipping Part 6. It still has some really cool moments as well as having the only female JoJo.

cntr

Banned
Part 7 also contains a bunch of thematic connections with Part 6 that you'd completely miss if you skipped it.

also I can't overemphasize how awesome jolyne is did i mention that

cntr

Banned
yeah if that's what Fugo was supposed to do I totally understand why Araki would feel too depressed to go through with it, lol

cntr

Banned
Oh man yeah, how did I forget to mention that?

Pucci would be the best villain of the series for me if Kira and Valentine weren't also amazing.

Euphony

Banned
Part 7 and 8 question:
Is it ever hinted that the new universe created at the end of Part 6 is the one that SBR and JJL take place in, or is it a separate universe entirely? We do already know there are an infinite number of universes via D4C so it's not too far fetched to believe Part 7 and 8 aren't in the new universe that was made in Part 6.

Chase17

Something that I forgot to mention was that this was a pretty funny part

-The dumb dance on the boat
-Giorno getting in and telling the truck driver to go up the hill
-Narancia's "mission failed"

All had me rolling.

cntr

Banned
^Part 5 has some pretty great shenanigans.

Part 7 and 8 question:
Is it ever hinted that the new universe created at the end of Part 6 is the one that SBR and JJL take place in, or is it a separate universe entirely? We do already know there are an infinite number of universes via D4C so it's not too far fetched to believe Part 7 and 8 aren't in the new universe that was made in Part 6.
They're probably separate universes, yeah. My assumption is that the set of universes that D4C covers are a subset of all possible universes, the Ireneverse is the same as the original universe, except that Pucci didn't exist and Part 6 didn't happen, and that MiH probably created the multiverse.

ade.gif

Euphony

Banned
^Part 5 has some pretty great shenanigans.

They're probably separate universes, yeah. My assumption is that the set of universes that D4C covers are a subset of all possible universes, the Ireneverse is the same as the original universe, except that Pucci didn't exist and Part 6 didn't happen, and that MiH probably created the multiverse.

I did a bit of searching and so far Araki hasn't said anything for or against SBR and JJL being part of the Ireneverse. Having the Ireneverse being a near carbon copy of the Part 1-6 universe with some differences would make sense. Now that I think about it, shouldn't Rohan and Giorno still exist, unchanged, in the Ireneverse? They didn't die so they shouldn't have been replaced.

I'm a bit confused on the multiverse though. I assumed that the multiverse has always existed and it wasn't a result of MiH. MiH was only used to end one of those universes and change it into another.

cntr

Banned
I did a bit of searching and so far Araki hasn't said anything for or against SBR and JJL being part of the Ireneverse. Having the Ireneverse being a near carbon copy of the Part 1-6 universe with some differences would make sense. Now that I think about it, shouldn't Rohan and Giorno still exist, unchanged, in the Ireneverse? They didn't die so they shouldn't have been replaced.
iirc early on Araki said stuff that went both ways? But yeah, they're probably not by this point. And the Rohan and Giorno thing isn't canon, heh.

I'm a bit confused on the multiverse though. I assumed that the multiverse has always existed and it wasn't a result of MiH. MiH was only used to end one of those universes and change it into another.
It's more of a personal theory tbh. But it'd make sense and be a neat connection, and Valentine explicitly references 'gravity' in the final battle.

Euphony

Banned
iirc early on Araki said stuff that went both ways? But yeah, they're probably not by this point. And the Rohan and Giorno thing isn't canon, heh.
Not canon, aw man. I want more Rohan. There's still time in JJL!

It's more of a personal theory tbh. But it'd make sense and be a neat connection, and Valentine explicitly references 'gravity' in the final battle.

Ah I see. I didn't make the connection between the use of "gravity" so much when explaining Spin when I first read it, but it would be a neat reference. Just thinking about that fight just gives me goosebumps, it was so good.

And for something not entirely unrelated, the Steel Ball Run artwork is gorgeous whenever you get around to reading it Chase. Example One Two

Edit: Took out the gifs because they were flashy and big

Look I love acknowledging the existence of Jorge Joestar as much as the next guy but let's not act like any of it is canon, even if it's as innocuous as Rohan and Giorno surviving unscathed into other universes.

Part 7 is great, probably my second favorite part in the series. The beginning really holds it back imo though. All the parts are mandatory reading though.

cntr

Banned
No joke, I had to stop reading and just sit there for a minute when MIAMI DOLPHINS QUARTERBACK, LARRY CSONKA actually fucking happened.

Ionic

They even reference specific places in Florida. They actually go to specific places in Florida.

I was surprised at how faithful his depiction of the Kennedy Space Center was. I recognized a lot of it while I was reading. The Early Space building stood out especially to me. Araki definitely did his research.

cntr

Banned
I was surprised at how faithful his depiction of the Kennedy Space Center was. I recognized a lot of it while I was reading. The Early Space building stood out especially to me. Araki definitely did his research.
Araki's real good at that. He did the same thing with Italy and the rest of Florida.

He even did a cross-Asia roadtrip for Part 3!

Top Bottom