• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joker Makeup Revealed

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/see-joaquin-phoenix-his-joker-make-up-1146088

What do you guys think?

I like the way they revealed it. Not so sure on the makeup. Would love to see him acting with it tho.

4JIJAwW.png

Last edited by a moderator:

tkscz

Oh that's terribly generic. Whats with DC lately and butchering costumes designs? They were doing so good until Titans.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Eh, not a fan. But of course this is just the make up, I expect it to look more like what I expect once he's disfigured.

KonradLaw

It's not his real make up, just a camera test before he even signed the role. He will likelly look different in the movie itself (especially his final form, as I expect the make up will evolve as his sanity collapses).
That said, I love the tiny video. It's disturbing and creepy and Phoenix looks like he will be very manacing.

Seems like they're going for a John Wayne Gacy look? Well there's been worse but I'm not much of a fan of a non-traditional Joker look.

i mean as long as the writing and acting is great the makeup wont matter.

but my hot take is that im disappointed they didnt go with the standard green hair etc. the design evokes Gacy for sure.

the style comes across as most people have said, like a working clown at a bday party or amusement park.

not convinced it wont change over hte movie, but i'm not 100% that it wont be kept as his makeup

Last edited:
I give you a scary clown:

Hey that's a very nice movie. It's schlocky as all hell, but it knows it and plays it straight. Plus the clown dude puts in a very nice maximalist performance. My girlfriend is a big horror movie nerd so I watch a lot of those lol and this one is one of my recent favorites. Simple brainless fun, me likey.

Ugh Great actor, low effort make up design.

Hoping this is a proto Joker before a reveal of a real Joker.

DC... STOP FUCKING TRYING TO MAKE YOUR MOVIE UNIVERSE SO GROUNDED. You don't have to go all fucking Joel Schumacher with it, but somewhere in the middle would be good.

Ugh Great actor, low effort make up design.

Hoping this is a proto Joker before a reveal of a real Joker.

DC... STOP FUCKING TRYING TO MAKE YOUR MOVIE UNIVERSE SO GROUNDED. You don't have to go all fucking Joel Schumacher with it, but somewhere in the middle would be good.

I'm hoping this as well. But even if it's not, if he pulls a good Joker off, that's all that really matters. It'll be him that makes the makeup, not the other way around, however iconic it is.

Nymphae

Banned
I like it, why so much hate in here lol. I like that each cinematic Joker is wildly different from the last, and imo they all look really good.

The only one that has been garbage in my mind is Cesar Romero, when he refused to remove his moustache so they just put white powder over it anyway.

iFxey0E.jpg

Last edited:

cr0w

Old Member
It's pretty obviously proto-Joker, most likely a character he plays before he has his accident. I like it.

Thurible

He looks more like an actual clown than a typical joker who usually looks clownish but way more demented. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

I will also accept if this is some meta experimental marketing and this teaser is a troll move knowing the previous internet reaction to the Leto Joker reveal. Ballsy move and very unlikely. If that turns out to be the case, well played and very Joker like.

What I mean is we see this version of the Joker for a small scene, and this was posted to fuck with people knowing the grand reveal and far better character design at the end.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I imagine it's a proto look. If not, yikes. I mean with lighting and acting you probably could make it look effective but still.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Looks too "Clownish". And by that I mean carnival clown. Joker isn't a carnival clown. Maybe they will do something along the lines of letting the makeup smear and degrade over the course of the movie?

Top Bottom