• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joker sequel is a musical per The Hollywood Reporter. To star Lady Gaga

dr_octagon

Banned
This has plenty of opportunity to be absolutely awful, but I have to admit there is a say 5% chance it will be a genius, era-defining film. I thought the original Joker was a pretty brave and timely movie to make, the focus firmly on mental health struggles without much sugarcoating or unnecessary glamorizing. It captured something about modern society that few other mainstream movies bother to look at. If this sequel manages to tap into that same nerve, but with some kind of catchy or poignant soundtrack, who knows?

I will buy tickets for OP to this musical, if true, only if Pierce Brosnan or Russell Crowe have scenes where they sing. I expect maximum awfulness.

DragoonKain DragoonKain Do you want to invite your neighbours to the screening?

QSD

I will buy tickets for OP to this musical, if true, only if Pierce Brosnan or Russell Crowe have scenes where they sing. I expect maximum awfulness.

DragoonKain DragoonKain Do you want to invite your neighbours to the screening?

Ok, so most musicals are awful. Even the ones that are popular are usually not for me. But I'm willing to give it a chance. Full disclosure: I tend to think that my most-watched movie of all time, the Transformers 1986 movie, is really a musical.

no-sir-i-dont-like-it.gif

Ristifer

I think it could work? Telling another shitty DC sequel in the exact same way would just be boring and more of the same. This will at least provide endless memes, and is such a wacky idea, that it may actually work out in the end.

I don't know.

Hugare

I think it could work? Telling another shitty DC sequel in the exact same way would just be boring and more of the same. This will at least provide endless memes, and is such a wacky idea, that it may actually work out in the end.

I don't know.
Nolan Batman trilogy worked just fine without a fucking musical to ruin the mood completely.

1 billion movie having a complete tone change with its sequel is something unheard of, I think

Disgusting. Hope that this is all bulshit.

Don't think that Joaquin would accept it, honestly

Last edited:

Ristifer

Nolan Batman trilogy worked just fine without a fucking musical to ruin the mood completely.

1 billion movie having a complete tone change with its sequel is something unheard of, I think

Disgusting. Hope that this is all bulshit.

Don't think that Joaquin would accept it, honestly
I would disagree. I'm not saying it would work for sure. But following a movie that had so much impact like Joker had is a difficult task. Sometimes you have to take a sharp turn to attempt to have a similar, or better, impact. That's why no one cares about The Dark Knight Rises. Because it was just more of the same following the massively successful and hugely popular The Dark Knight. They were never going to make a movie that lived up to that sequel, and so they made a movie that's largely forgotten about because its predecessor is significantly better. It was a safe choice.

I'm just saying that a safe choice is not always the best one. A musical may be an extreme choice, and it may not even work. But it could also be just what a sequel would need? We'll have to see.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
this sounds stupid and i hate musicals but it could be good. joaquin is a great singer and of course so is lady gaga.

i'll reserve judgement until i watch it.

Dont think so

Cant imagine him singing around while dancing with Lady Gaga

Who knows, tho
why not?

he has done musical films before (Walk The Line) and why would he be so against working with Lady Gaga?

Last edited:

Hugare

this sounds stupid and i hate musicals but it could be good. joaquin is a great singer and of course so is lady gaga.

i'll reserve judgement until i watch it.

why not?

he has done musical films before (Walk The Line) and why would he be so against working with Lady Gaga?
But Walk the Line was a biopic about Johnny Cash, a singer.

And it wasn't really a musical. He sang during Johnny's shows. It was no La La Land or Lés Miserables where people started singing all of a sudden.

The Lady Gaga part I admit that it was more about my opinion. I enjoy her music, but I hate her acting.

Thought she wasn't good in A Star is Born and she was worse, way worse in House of Gucci

Top Bottom