• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joker sequel is a musical per The Hollywood Reporter. To star Lady Gaga

Who did Gaga blow in Hollywood and why are they trying to push for her this much i'll never know.

She was playing herself from her music videos on American Horror Story, she was serviceable in A Star Is Born (one of the most overrated movies i've seen in the past 5 years) and she played an SNL skit in House of Gucci.

I can't be the only one that thinks this...?

Who did Gaga blow in Hollywood and why are they trying to push for her this much i'll never know.

She was playing herself from her music videos on American Horror Story, she was serviceable in A Star Is Born (one of the most overrated movies i've seen in the past 5 years) and she played an SNL skit in House of Gucci.

I can't be the only one that thinks this...?
watermill-041.jpg

A sequel to joker sounds like a bad idea because the film was only slightly above average but showing some cracks that, if it was to be longer and more elaborate they would screw it. It only worked because it was just that.

If it's a musical it has a better change of not being shit, imo. Even if I'm not a fan of musicals. The first one was a regular scorcese-style movie disguised as a supervilain film, it can be argued that it actually acted as a entrypoint for real movies for people who are still enjoying guys who wear panties over pantihose, so they might as well make the sequel an entry point to something else.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This concept is fucking batshit, but I can honestly say it sounds a lot more interesting - in a car crash kind of way - than a straight forward Joker sequel.

The fact is, that story is done as it stands. The character would struggle to sustain another straightforward movie without the introduction of Batman, which they won't be doing, of course. And Arthur Fleck isn't really The Joker anyway, so what's the point?

Might as well go completely off the fucking rails with it, and give Gaga another Hollywood vehicle.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Honestly sounds interesting. Lady Gaga is kind of perfect casting for Harley when you think about it. And how do you depict the internal world view of someone who is permanently happy and off kilter like her? Show all the events happening through the context of a musical.

Imagine some of the darker, violent scenes playing out with this unnerving contrast? Sounds like it could be extremely original.

DR3AM

I'm out. Not a fan of musicals at all. They will destroy the Joker IP if this becomes a musical.

I'm in. Jaoquin can sing, Gaga can sing......let's go full blown insanity with the sequel. I'm not particularly interested in musicals but it's the Joker and if done right could be amazing.

Happy The Joker GIF by Johnny Slicks

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm out. Not a fan of musicals at all. They will destroy the Joker IP if this becomes a musical.
Harley talks practically in a musical way. Just think of that from her perspective, floating on cloud 9, in love with Mr. J., while being incredibly violent at the same time. It'll be like a dark, ironic subversion of a musical.

judhudson

I think this could be done incredibly well knowing that both the Joker and Harley are mentally ill / crazy. This idea sounds like they could show us how bonkers things really are inside their minds. Looking forward to this.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I think this could be done incredibly well knowing that both the Joker and Harley are mentally ill / crazy. This idea sounds like they could show us how bonkers things really are inside their minds. Looking forward to this.

The worst thing about the first movie is that it gave people the impression The Joker is meant to be mentally ill.

He's not. He's proper evil.

That's kind of the point.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Oh mehhhh.. fuck musicals.

The worst thing about the first movie is that it gave people the impression The Joker is meant to be mentally ill.

Well that's not the point of Joker(2019) lol

Comics change the characters all the time... why can't a comic film?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Because they thought he was mentally ill. And so did she. She thought she could cure him. You can’t cure evil. Hence him corrupting her.
I get where you're coming from, socio and psychopathy (led to pure evil) is still a mental disorder.

Though my interpretation from many works, especially Dark Horse, was that he is actually more logically sane than Batman/Bruce Wayne.

Last edited:
Lady Gaga is exactly the kind of rotten, dumb and vapid pop-entertainment that is contributing to the rise of our alienating nihilistic consumer society producing emotional cripples and dysfunctional human beings.

It was the central theme of Joker's social criticism only to see it now make its way into the sequel.

Hollywood at its finest.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Oh mehhhh.. fuck musicals.

Well that's not the point of Joker(2019) lol

Comics change the characters all the time... why can't a comic film?

True enough. I just find it funny in a world of woke stuff, nobody really brings up the twisting of The Joker into a poor old sympathetic character with an illness 🤣

#endthestigma #Itsoktonotbeok

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I get where you're coming from, socio and psychopathy (led to pure evil) is still a mental disorder.

Though my interpretation from many works, especially Dark Horse, was he was actually more logically sane than Batman/Bruce Wayne.

Exactly! That’s why he’s so dangerous, and why Batman has such a problem with him.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
True enough. I just find it funny in a world of woke stuff, nobody really brings up the twisting of The Joker into a poor old sympathetic character with an illness 🤣

#endthestigma #Itsoktonotbeok

Oh it was brought up plenty lol

The way it approaches mental illness is pretty wack TBH.. but it's just a movie in the end and a comic book film at that.. it's meant to be extreme not realistic.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

Evil is byproduct of mental illness. Sane people don't go around killing people for the fun of it.

GeekyDad

If true, sure, I'm onboard, though I haven't been able to see the first yet. But I feel like Phoenix always puts his best into whatever he's working on, and why not a musical. Could be quite good. Worth a try, I guess.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Evil is byproduct of mental illness. Sane people don't go around killing people for the fun of it.

He's a comic book character. People don't go around jumping off roof tops dressed as a bat, either.

The cornerstone of Joker's appeal is that he's meant to be a force of pure malice. That's what Nolan got so right in The Dark Knight. It's why Batman has such an problem pinning him down.

Billbofet

Didn't care for this version of the Joker and don't really want any more. I guess a musical would at least be interesting. Has Scorcese done a musical this could also copy scene for scene?

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Gold Member
How many children did she sacrifice and orgies did she perform in front of a Molech statue at the Met Gala after party to get the part?

Last edited:

QSD

This has plenty of opportunity to be absolutely awful, but I have to admit there is a say 5% chance it will be a genius, era-defining film. I thought the original Joker was a pretty brave and timely movie to make, the focus firmly on mental health struggles without much sugarcoating or unnecessary glamorizing. It captured something about modern society that few other mainstream movies bother to look at. If this sequel manages to tap into that same nerve, but with some kind of catchy or poignant soundtrack, who knows?

Top Bottom