• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lady Gaga Confirms ‘Joker 2’ Role Opposite Joaquin Phoenix in New Musical Teaser

dr_octagon

Banned
AIv1xPt.jpg

Pic stolen, I'm taking full credit dough.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Lady Gaga is Italian. In case you didn't know:

I don't really like her.. but this is just how Americans talk about "ancestry."

Particularly if you are from the NE, there is a lot of Italian-American immigrants and her family is one of them.. so what's the big deal? I mean this isn't even particularly American.. just how most 2nd/3rd generation immigrants identify anywhere.

I mean her name is some long-winded Italian name with like 3 middle names lol

Last edited:

Futaleufu

I don't really like her.. but this is just how Americans talk about "ancestry."

Particularly if you are from the NE, there is a lot of Italian-American immigrants and her family is one of them.. so what's the big deal? I mean this isn't even particularly American.. just how most 2nd/3rd generation immigrants identify anywhere.

I mean her name is some long-winded Italian name with like 3 middle names lol

The Sopranos taught me that italo-americans aren't italians at all, they are americans with some cultural leftovers from the old country.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The Sopranos taught me that italo-americans aren't italians at all, they are americans with some cultural leftovers from the old country.
I mean sure.. as is anyone by the 2nd or 3rd generation of immigration.

Nobody would bat an eye at a 3rd generation Indian immigrant saying "I'm Indian".. the way that person lives their life is going to be world's different than people in India too. Some traditions remain, some culture.. lots changes.

Last edited:
I thought it was a joke at first, but I understand now: they want another Oscar, so they're making another kind of Oscar bait film. Instead of a Scorcese inspired movie, we'll get a Baz Lurhman type of Oscar bait.

That said, I'm just not into musical films, so this is an incredibly tough sell for me... but it seems I'm not the target audience for this one.

Dr.Morris79

This is going to be such a bizarre musical, cant wait :)
I weirdly share your optimism. I mean, it could be good, in a weird way. It could be utterly terrible that it's good in and of itself, which will make brilliant youtubers make funny videos. Or it could be so bad that it'll just be funny that it's so crap..

To many ways it could go. Lets do this!

Pagusas

Elden Member
I thought it was a joke at first, but I understand now: they want another Oscar, so they're making another kind of Oscar bait film. Instead of a Scorcese inspired movie, we'll get a Baz Lurhman type of Oscar bait.

That said, I'm just not into musical films, so this is an incredibly tough sell for me... but it seems I'm not the target audience for this one.
If they could pull off a Moulin Rouge with this, it could be epic, amazing, worthy of Oscars and a timeless classic. Lots could go horribly wrong with this, but I find the prospect of something completely new with this property to be amazing and fun.

MastaKiiLA

Possibly the dumbest question I've ever asked, but I own A Star Is Born, and heard she was great in it. Is this a film I should watch if I want to be convinced that she can work in a Joker sequel? I mean, Zazi Beats was good in the first movie, so not really sure. I never actually had a plan on watching ASIB, and only bought it as a potential date flick. The only thing I remember Gaga in is Machete Kills and Sin City 2. Not exactly roles that would prep her for a Joker 2. Joaquin Phoenix is a force of nature. He deserves to have quality actors surrounding him.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

This just needs to be a ridiculous fever dream of a film. No point in copying the first movie, or trying to do anything serious. Just fucking go as mental as the Joker can be.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I can't stand Lady Gaga and her ludicrous claims to be some kind of artist. The moment that captures her entire braindead career is when she did an onstage "tribute" to Bowie shortly after he died, at some awards show. My god, she didn't even have a clue about what made Bowie a legend. Her tiny brain could only grasp the idea of a drag spectacle, so she pranced around in costumes as if doing a tribute to Elton John.

I loved the first Joker film, but this musical does not seem to be a good follow-up.

Kev Kev

I hate the idea of this so much that I don't know how I'm going to be able to enjoy the movie. I'm subconsciously going to be looking for ever crack and flaw.

I'll give it a shot and try my best not to do that but...
200.gif

Pagusas

Elden Member
Possibly the dumbest question I've ever asked, but I own A Star Is Born, and heard she was great in it. Is this a film I should watch if I want to be convinced that she can work in a Joker sequel? I mean, Zazi Beats was good in the first movie, so not really sure. I never actually had a plan on watching ASIB, and only bought it as a potential date flick. The only thing I remember Gaga in is Machete Kills and Sin City 2. Not exactly roles that would prep her for a Joker 2. Joaquin Phoenix is a force of nature. He deserves to have quality actors surrounding him.

she’s a good actress and has a monster voice of course. but yes that film will at least make you feel at eas that she’ll be fine paired next to a great actor.

DKehoe

I wasn't as into that first film as others seem to be. So I'm cool with them changing it up and going for something different than the standard approach, particularly since the genre is so saturated.

teezzy

Banned
I love the zealous nature of them making the sequel a musical and hope it performs well

Joker 1 was Todd Phillips' love letter to Scorsese in a DCU wrapper. This is going to be him paying homage to other films

The average nerd is too dumb to understand. It's exactly why they panned Last Jedi

😤

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It depends entirely on the catchiness of the songs. If the tik tok community likes them, it won't bomb.
I disagree. A films fait is not dictated by its tiktok popularity.

A musical no matter how good is completely different to the first one, completly different genres and therefore audience.

I disagree. A films fait is not dictated by its tiktok popularity.
Not saying this is the case. I'm saying that popularity could help boost numbers like with other music and films.

A musical no matter how good is completely different to the first one, completly different genres and therefore audience.
What if it had the same viewer numbers but just with a different audience(who enjoyed musicals), is that really a failure?

Joker was great. So long as it keeps up with the tension they could shit on each other's chests for 2 hours, so long as you think someone might get off'd in a brief moment..

AmuroChan

I'm intrigued. This is obviously not going to be a standard musical. Based on the title alone, you know the movie will deep dive into mental illness and the delusions shared by Joker and Harley. My guess is the musical numbers will occur during the scenes when Joker and Harley are tripping balls.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The film doesn't need a sequel, but to make a sequel as a musical?!?

I have nothing against musicals. I actually really like a lot of musicals. However, I don't understand why they'd make a sequel to a serious, dark, character study and turn it into a musical? Such a bizarre decision.

TylerD

Gaga can act and A Star is Born is a damn good movie. Her and Bradley Cooper's chemistry in it is powerful. Excellent music too and if you are the kind of person that can be emotionally moved, it is totally that.

Top Bottom