• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Stewart back on TV for the '16 election on The Late Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet, a good reason to watch Colbert!

I imagine Colbert will play the straight man to whatever character Jon cooks up. Should be a blast.

BokehKing

Banned
We all know Jon Stewart probably should have been the one to take over for Dave

I mean first of all John Stewart is Johm Stewart

Stephen Colbert the news anchor is not Stephen Colbert the guy trying to fill Dave's shoes.

Shame Netflix doesn't have like the whole daily show run for me to watch.

We all know Jon Stewart probably should have been the one to take over for Dave

I mean first of all John Stewart is Johm Stewart

Stephen Colbert the news anchor is not Stephen Colbert the guy trying to fill Dave's shoes.
Given the constraints CBS has put on Colbert, I agree.

Still frustrates me though. Why bring him on if you're going to put him on a leash?

BokehKing

Banned

Still frustrates me though. Why bring him on if you're going to put him on a leash?
You almost have to wonder if they knew Colbert was just an act.

There is lots of things I would love to go back and fix.

Telling these two we would have Donald and email scandals and now this??

a6I6mc8.jpg

It would have been comedy gold.

You almost have to wonder if they knew Colbert was just an act.
Nah, Colbert doesn't need to be in character to be funny. But he does need his comedy to be smart, and to be allowed to not pull punches on who he satires. For the most part, that's not happening, and I can't imagine it's by choice.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

This is the reason I think people expecting to see "TDS Jon Stewart" are going to be disappointed. I have tempered my expectations of what his role and these live shows are going to be. I'm sure this week will be the best the show has ever been and may ever get but it's an awfully low bar.

BokehKing

Banned
Nah, Colbert doesn't need to be in character to be funny. But he does need his comedy to be smart, and to be allowed to not pull punches on who he satires. For the most part, that's not happening, and I can't imagine it's by choice.
I never seen him do anything but the character, that reminds me, I heard he reads his autobiography in character I think, got to find that on audible

I never seen him do anything but the character, that reminds me, I heard he reads his autobiography in character I think, got to find that on audible
If you go back and watch the writer's strike episodes of TCR, that's pretty much unleashed improv Colbert in his natural habitat.

A lot of his "character"'s exuberance is just him, and his wit is enough to cover for everything else. When he's allowed to use it...

He left Trevor Noah with low hanging fruit.

It was the best bet he had.

Yeah, he really left at the optimal time for his successor. Noah has just done a really amazing job squandering it. I get growing pains but he approaches this all with a really detached noninterest and most of his jokes are incredibly simple and lack any kind of viewpoint.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
WILL COLBERT BE IN CHARACTER TOO?

Sadly, more than likely: No. :(

If the Tonight show was just Colbert Report 2: Electric Boogaloo, I'd probably check it out far more than I do currently (which is, barely).

Future

Welp everyone will be tuning in to this. I don't think cbs's old ass audience would accept true Stewart and Colbert coverage though, so I expect to be disappointed by everything being watered down.

Still tuning in though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom