• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Blow Criticizes MS’s Claim of Increasing Servers to 300K, Calls It A Lie!

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wow he's been on the offensive towards MS in a big way. I'm not exactly a big supporter of MS myself, but what did they do to get him so bluntley upset with them?

I wonder that too. Braid was a Xbox360 exclusive for a year, so what happened that it has come to this point.

aeolist

Banned
They did say that the servers have more processing power than all of 1999. I figure if you really wanted to, you could figure out roughly how many servers that would take.

that was one of the stupid fluff numbers they were throwing out that pissed me off so much

5 billion transistors in the SoC was another one, just say which IP you're using dammit

i'm amazed that they managed to say so little during their reveal

Tacitus_

d4zxWii.png

I really doubt this as well. I don't see them offloading anything that's needed for the rendering on a server.

I believe the plan is to release the PS4 and PC versions simultaneously while the iOS version may come a little later. I'm not sure where the Xbox One falls into the equation as, back in February, Blow mentioned that Microsoft wasn't particularly interested in providing his outfit with devkits -- he'd ask and hear nothing back.

Well he is calling MS liars. Doesn't sound promising.

BibiMaghoo

Blow is quickly changing from outspoken dev, to bitter, sour grapes dev.

When a person attacks someone else consistently, their claim begin to lose validity and appear as a person grudge.

Other devs need to start speaking up, Blow needs to take a back seat for a while.

It really is crazy to think that "the cloud" would enhance our games by calculating physics and so on. All you can have "a cloud" do is to provide some background calculations that don't need to be updated too often or delivered in a critical low-lag manner (think about WOW and how it works in such an environment). Modern shooters can't manage more than maybe 64 players without loading off some of the more relevant calculations to the clients because of latency issues.

A physics engine runs at maybe half the frame rate of the game and would probably need to keep track of thousands of objects in modern games. The same would be true for any kind of realistic graphical effect that needs to run at a few tens of frames per second.

What could work in "a cloud"? Perhaps the rudimentary AI of unimportant NPCs in an open world game using lots and lots of predictive stuff and interpolation on the client side. Maybe the celestial dynamics of thousands of slowly moving and rotating bodies in a big-ass real-time solar-system simulator. Maybe some kind of global economics simulation. Anyway - most of these would be things that can be easily simulated with smoke and mirrors as well. The player would rarely feel a difference.

Dipswitch

I pointed out that I though the servers were likely VM's in that ridiculous "XBL is killing the environment" thread. Slightly disingenuous of MS to give the impression they were physical servers, but what the hell difference does it make? If XBL service is improved, that's the only thing that matters.

Hana-Bi

He knows shit about the One, about MS plans and about the infrastructure of those servers.

"Hey 300.000 sounds too much. - I can have 10.000 virtual servers per host -> MS has just a little bit more money, so they HAVE TO be talking about virtual servers too..."

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
This guy is quickly coming across as someone who is bitter they didn't get first dibs on a dev kit and included in an intro video.

Some of these indie devs should really just concentrate on making their own games rather than slinging mud all the time.

Woffls

Microsoft have a lot of physical servers, but I doubt 300k of them would be exclusively for Xbox. Maybe they are virtual and maybe they are shared with their other cloud services like Azure and Office. We just don't now the details yet.

Either way, increasing the number of servers on Xbox Live by 20x (?) doesn't really mean much to me as a gamer. Does this mean my Collar Duty will have more woofs?

Blow is quickly changing from outspoken dev, to bitter, sour grapes dev.

When a person attacks someone else consistently, their claim begin to lose validity and appear as a person grudge.

Other devs need to start speaking up, Blow needs to take a back seat for a while.
None of his claims have lost validity. They are pretty spot on. Most of the "cloud" PR bullshit is nothing but fiction.

StuBurns

Banned
How would he even know?
Wouldn't devs making XBO online games know? Maybe he spoke to someone.

I have a question, and it might be stupid. MS compared the new number to the current number, was the current number definitely physical servers? I think it's only a lie if they're not comparing apples to apples.

aeolist

Banned
I pointed out that I though the servers were likely VM's in that ridiculous "XBL is killing the environment" thread. Slight disingenuous of MS to give the impression they were physical servers, but what the hell difference does it make? If XBL service is improved, that's the only thing that matters.

will it be improved though? i'm sure they were already running xbl on the windows server os, all this means is that they're moving those os images over to the azure infrastructure

they're also adding a standardized way for developers to access cloud compute for their games but it's an open question as to whether that will be useful at all

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
How many servers I wonder are earmarked for controlling/maintaining the used-game-DRM plan? Lets face it, were that system to be implemented globally thats a lot of transactions per hour for any system to cope with.

Nilaul

It really is crazy to think that "the cloud" would enhance our games by calculating physics and so on. All you can have "a cloud" do is to provide some background calculations that don't need to be updated too often or delivered in a critical low-lag manner (think about WOW and how it works in such an environment). Modern shooters can't manage more than maybe 64 players without loading off some of the more relevant calculations to the clients because of latency issues.

A physics engine runs at maybe half the frame rate of the game and would probably need to keep track of thousands of objects in modern games. The same would be true for any kind of realistic graphical effect that needs to run at a few tens of frames per second.

What could work in "a cloud"? Perhaps the rudimentary AI of unimportant NPCs in an open world game using lots and lots of predictive stuff and interpolation on the client side. Maybe the celestial dynamics of thousands of slowly moving and rotating bodies in a big-ass real-time solar-system simulator. Maybe some kind of global economics simulation. Anyway - most of these would be things that can be easily simulated with smoke and mirrors as well. The player would rarely feel a difference.

Theres a difference between online multiplayer and single player. For multiplayer you have to be online. For single player you shouldnt have to be.

EvB

Is it really so unfeasable? Google have over 2 million servers

And while the whole cloud processing stuff may be a long way off, they are going to need more servers purely to maintain the service , especially with all the extra DRM in place.

Durante

Personally, I think the number of servers is entirely irrelevant. The problems with the proposal by Microsoft ('s marketing division?) are more fundamental in nature, and no amount of servers can solve them.

QaaQer

The cloud talk is BS but how are these guys like blow and notch getting so much attention? They made 1 or 2 games each and they are not that good except for minecraft which I consider a lucky accident.

media conspiracy fueled by the gaf underground.

JDSN

Banned
This guy is quickly coming across as someone who is bitter they didn't get first dibs on a dev kit and included in an intro video.

Some of these indie devs should really just concentrate on making their own games rather than slinging mud all the time.

Ah, so he is jealous, right?

kitch9

Banned

Yeah there's no chance a confirmed developer would have any idea what he is on about.

Krilekk

Banned
Blow is just full of shit. The "more computing power than the whole of 1999" claim already proves that those aren't virtual servers but instead 300.000 actual servers running dozens of virtual servers each. And it's not that hard to believe either when Azure currently uses much more than 1.000.000 servers for what it does right now (with as much as 400.000 servers in Ireland alone). I hoped with the death of F5 the "my exclusive partner is better than yours" talk would've stopped but here we are and exclusive developers are still talking shit about other platforms they haven't even worked on.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Cloud-rendering? Hogwash. Blow is alright.

Wozman23

Everything Microsoft talked about was too nebulous. This cloud computing used as a supplement sounds like smoke and mirrors. It sounds great when they say it can make the system 40x more powerful. But if games rely on it too much, or require it, what happens when you, the network, or the servers go offline? I shudder to think the game may be unplayable, but if you're using it to process basic functions in the game engine, that seems like a huge possibility.

kswiston

Is it really so unfeasable? Google have over 2 million servers

Google runs the second and third biggest websites in the world plus tons of web and android apps like Gmail and Google Drive. Youtube alone streams 4-5 billion hours of video a month. Xbox Live is a tiny service in comparison. We're talking low tens of millions of users vs over a billion users.

StuBurns

Banned
I hoped with the death of F5 the "my exclusive partner is better than yours" talk would've stopped but here we are and exclusive developers are still talking shit about other platforms they haven't even worked on.
Blow has been shitting on MS for years before he signed with Sony.

aeolist

Banned
Blow is just full of shit. The "more computing power than the whole of 1999" claim already proves that those aren't virtual servers but instead 300.000 actual servers running dozens of virtual servers each. And it's not that hard to believe either when Azure currently uses much more than 1.000.000 servers for what it does right now (with as much as 400.000 servers in Ireland alone). I hoped with the death of F5 the "my exclusive partner is better than yours" talk would've stopped but here we are and exclusive developers are still talking shit about other platforms they haven't even worked on.

exactly how much computing power did the world have in 1999, how are you measuring that, and how are you calculating how much power there is per physical azure server?

kitch9

Banned
I mentioned this in the OP. It seems like he's guessing/assuming more than speaking from an informed position.

Basically, he doesn't know and is throwing it out there to see if it sticks.

Same as you then?

You are guessing he doesn't know anything. A game developer who doesn't know anything about developing games.

Interesting.

Shai-Tan

Banned
The primary reason this is important is geographical; that is, having delivery be as local as possible. Absolute computing power doesn't matter as much as scaling.

Top Bottom