• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jose Mourinho to take over Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.
After months of rumours and sources, the headline has now hit BBC Sport, so basically official.

Manchester United will appoint Jose Mourinho as their new manager, BBC Sport understands.

Mourinho has been out of work since he was sacked by Chelsea in December.

With United failing to qualify for the Champions League under Louis van Gaal, the Old Trafford hierarchy is thought to have decided a change is required.

It is understood a deal with 53-year-old Mourinho was agreed in principle before United's FA Cup final win against Crystal Palace on Saturday.

The club plan to announce his arrival early next week after telling Van Gaal, 64, his reign has come to an end.

The Dutchman still has one season remaining on his three-year deal, but despite spending £250m on new players, his tenure has disappointed many fans, the club finishing fourth and then fifth in the Premier League.

Van Gaal's grip on his job has seemed increasingly fragile this season, with Mourinho known to covet the task of masterminding a revival at United three years after legendary former manager Sir Alex Ferguson stepped down.

Mourinho is one of the game's most successful coaches, winning three league titles in his two spells at Stamford Bridge, as well as guiding Porto and Inter Milan to Champions League victories in 2004 and 2010 respectively.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Incoming 2 years of joy followed by a third we would all rather forget

But at least it will be entertaining

Hasney

Good. Not a Man U fan, but they get on TV so much that I want them to be more exciting.

Yes, under LVG they were so dull I'd be happy to see a Mourinho team instead.

Falchion

I still don't understand half the stupid shit he did the second time at Chelsea. Yeah, let's ban this really good doctor from games and invite lots of controversy about my managing style which I'll follow up with a wholly underwhelming season.

I do kind of feel sorry for LVG. People have been complaining about him and soothsaying about his career for most of this season and when he achieves something it's undercut with this news about Mourinho.

Maybe Manchester United just need to accept that they're no longer a powerhouse of English football and that a top four finish isn't as deserved by their team as they seem to think. I mean, with Tottenham and Leicester coming out of the gate this season alongside Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea, I find it hard to believe that Manchester United fans legitimately think that they should be title contenders or even definite Champion's League competitors.

T-Rex.

Banned
Still think it's a weird decision. Yeah he'll be a success in the short term, but they'll be in the exact same position they were when Ferguson retired in a few seasons. He just isn't a long term manager.

Man united to play boring football then.

Guessing Man U will buy a new bus this summer?

You must be new to football or just parroting what you see others saying. If you've watched his teams over the years, there's more to Mourinho than super defensive "boring" football. Still can't get any shittier than the games we've been seeing over the past 2-3 years. My only concern will be his treatment towards the youth.

This is that flop who fired that female doctor for doing her job, right

First I'm hearing about it.

Hasney

Still think it's a weird decision. Yeah he'll be a success in the short term, but they'll be in the exact same position they were when Ferguson retired in a few seasons. He just isn't a long term manager.

I don't think there's that many managers out there and available that you could look at, then look at the Man U squad and think "Yeah, they could get us in the top 4 easily next season". After failing to qualify for the Champions League again, they are going to think short term because the money is too great to not.

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't understand half the stupid shit he did the second time at Chelsea. Yeah, let's ban this really good doctor from games and invite lots of controversy about my managing style which I'll follow up with a wholly underwhelming season.

I never really got the impression that he was happy to go back to Chelsea and having transfers decided for him probably helped push him over the edge.

After the winning the league he was probably just going through the motions.

It will be interesting to see how he does at a club where managers are given much more of a say over transfers.

Next year in the EPL:

Mourinho, Guardiola, Klopp, Wenger, Bilic, Pardiola, Allerdyci, Dyche, and Benitez waiting in the wings. EDIT: AND Conte and Ranieri

What a time to be alive. I'm hoping for at least one meltdown.

Arsed, he's a horrible cunt. I look forward to Klopp smashing him with better football, younger players and infinitely more personality next season
82df111606be3f6ac329acdd388ff828_100_100.png

He'll be there 3 years tops.

T-Rex.

Banned
I don't think there's that many managers out there and available that you could look at, then look at the Man U squad and think "Yeah, they could get us in the top 4 easily next season". After failing to qualify for the Champions League again, they are going to think short term because the money is too great to not.
That's a fair point but they keep stressing that they're looking for longevity but Mourinho doesn't offer that. I've no doubts that they'll challenge for the league under him, and maybe win it as well, though.

The prem next year is going be insane. The quality of the managers + the money that's going to be spent is ridiculous.

DKehoe

Embarassing timing for the story to come out. LVG's time as manager may not have gone ideally but he deserves better than that.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
the premier league is like the msl for coaches. former greats go there to build up their pension fund through name recognition.

Oh you were talking about drama, my bad. I mean he is said to be extremely strict and we don't know how that will translate.

To the Chelsea team that had the problem of no discipline whatsoever this season? This pleases me.

They're gonna start winning again aren't they

Brinbe

Farewell, Louis. Mou is a fantastic appointment and we should have made this move three years earlier.

Looking forward to being bitterly hated again.

MrS

Banned
Scum manager for a scum club. Perfect match!

Hope he flops like he did this season.

Wonder what'll happen to Giggs.

BunnyBear

Agreed, particularly for a club like United which was famous for its stability under Ferguson. Mourinho is a 2-3 year proposition before the wheels start to fall off.

It will certainly add another exciting layer to the premier league though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom