• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jose Mourinho to take over Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be ready for a beautiful football because that's Mourinho's middle name.
Mourinho has played beautiful football all throughout his career. His Porto teams, Real Madrid especially that one season they set all kinds of records, and half the season with Chelsea in 2014-2015.

The first thing he needs to do is make sure De Gea stays.

One thing LVG has done is give youth a chance and I'm concerned Mou won't do that.

HarryKS

t024l3N.gif

Look at the disdain in his face. He never wanted to go back there.

He's been craving Old Trafford ever since his Porto days.

I wonder if people here actually watch football.

Mourinho is the coach who got his Real Madrid team to outscore one of the greatest ever Barcelona teams. At Inter and Porto they were exciting to watch under Mourinho.

His Chelsea 04-07 was brilliant. Duff and Robben on the wings with Essien as the all action midfielder.

Yes he at times sets up his teams to be negative in big games. But so did Fergie.

This he only is there for three years needs to go away too. How long has Pep been at his club? How many managers last long at Chelsea or Madrid? He was the second longest reigning manager at Real Madrid in the last 30 years after Del Bosque. His first spell at Chelsea was the longest reign any manager has had under Roman. Managers don't last long in both those clubs. He could have stayed longer at Inter or Porto if he wanted to.

Now maybe you can criticise him for youth development. But how many players have Chelsea or Real Madrid brought through the last 10 years? The two youth players who have been keystays in both those teams have been Casilas and Terry. It's hard to bring youth through when Roman is buying a Shevchenko or Torres and telling you to play them. The same for Perez who signs a galactico.

Guardiola didn't bring any young players through at Bayern. Yet everyone faps about him as some coach who brings through youth players.

This is a totally different situation for Jose. He'd have full control of transfers and everything. Won't have tyrant owner or president getting involved.

Also Klopp had Dortmund in the bottom half of a piss poor league for half a season. Yet that doesn't mean he's a bad coach.

Funny how Jose is a has been after one bad season. Yet Klopp is the messiah.

LeleSocho

Banned
Premier League's press teams will have lots of work next season.
Mourinho, Benitez, Guardiola, Ranieri, Klopp, Wenger and Conte all in the same league... entertainment every single week for sure.

Gastone

Man, the upcoming season is gonna be fantastic. My boys in LFC with Klopp, City with Guardiola and now United with Mourinho.

Gastone

Also Klopp had Dortmund in the bottom half of a piss poor league for half a season. Yet that doesn't mean he's a bad coach.

Funny how Jose is a has been after one bad season. Yet Klopp is the messiah.

You must be mistaking Bundesliga for the SPFL. Or Tippeligaen,

You must be mistaking Bundesliga for the SPFL. Or Tippeligaen,

No I'm not.

Dortmund shouldn't be in the bottom half with the squad they had last season in a league that is dominated by one team. They should be easily finishing second

La Liga is obviously miles ahead and the premier league is after that. Then you'd say Serie A and after that it will be Bundesliga.

DBT85

Mourinho is the coach who got his Real Madrid team to outscore one of the greatest ever Barcelona teams. At Inter and Porto they were exciting to watch under Mourinho.

His Chelsea 04-07 was brilliant. Duff and Robben on the wings with Essien as the all action midfielder.

Yes he at times sets up his teams to be negative in big games. But so did Fergie.

This he only is there for three years needs to go away too. How long has Pep been at his club? How many managers last long at Chelsea or Madrid? He was the second longest reigning manager at Real Madrid in the last 30 years after Del Bosque. His first spell at Chelsea was the longest reign any manager has had under Roman. Managers don't last long in both those clubs. He could have stayed longer at Inter or Porto if he wanted to.

Now maybe you can criticise him for youth development. But how many players have Chelsea or Real Madrid brought through the last 10 years? The two youth players who have been keystays in both those teams have been Casilas and Terry. It's hard to bring youth through when Roman is buying a Shevchenko or Torres and telling you to play them. The same for Perez who signs a galactico.

Guardiola didn't bring any young players through at Bayern. Yet everyone faps about him as some coach who brings through youth players.

This is a totally different situation for Jose. He'd have full control of transfers and everything. Won't have tyrant owner or president getting involved.

Have to agree with all that.

Just hope Woodward doesn't go chasing players he wants and instead just goes where Jose tells him.

Audioboxer

Well said.

No I'm not.

Dortmund shouldn't be in the bottom half with the squad they had last season in a league that is dominated by one team. They should be easily finishing second

La Liga is obviously miles ahead and the premier league is after that. Then you'd say Serie A and after that it will be Bundesliga.

That season was like a perfect storm of bad transfers (which he's not solely responsible for) and incredible bad luck with injuries. You could argue that his style & training contributed to that, but most teams would run into problems if ~ 6 first team players were to be injured at once. And even the players who were mostly fit lacked match fitness due to their year long injury (Gündogan) or because they were subs at their previous clubs: Kagawa / Sahin. On top of that WC14 players such as Hummels came back out of form.

These injuries / lack of match fitness paired with bad transfers also prevented Klopp from adopting a new play style (system) and therefore made BVB very predictable and one-dimensional which is why the success in the CL against unfamiliar teams did not extend to the league which had us figured out.

So Klopp is not a bad manager by any stretch of the imagination, he's also pretty much the best at firing up his squad. Maybe only second to Simeone.

Having said that, I'm glad Utd. signed Mou. I have no idea if they're going to succeed with him, but the EPL and the inter-manager shenanigans is going to be glorious to watch :D

/
I have no idea where the two dots are in my keyboard. I think most have normal accent(s).
Don't worry, Goatze is fine.

RiggyRob

The 'he isn't a long term manager' argument doesn't hold up for Mourinho - Wenger's the last one, they simply don't exist anymore.

Pep stayed 3 years at Bayern, Ancelotti stayed 3 years at PSG and Chelsea, and you can bet your arse that when Real Madrid hound out Zidane for not winning a treble, they'll come calling for Pochettino, it's just how it works now.

As a Chelsea fan who loves José more then life all I can say is well done United you have one of the best 3 managers in the world.

That season was like a perfect storm of bad transfers (which he's not solely responsible for) and incredible bad luck with injuries. You could argue that his style & training contributed to that, but most teams would run into problems if ~ 6 first team players were to be injured at once. And even the players who were mostly fit lacked match fitness due to their year long injury (Gündogan) or because they were subs at their previous clubs: Kagawa / Sahin. On top of that WC14 players such as Hummels came back out of form.

These injuries / lack of match fitness paired with bad transfers also prevented Klopp from adopting a new play style (system) and therefore made BVB very predictable and one-dimensional which is why the success in the CL against unfamiliar teams did not extend to the league which had us figured out.

So Klopp is not a bad manager by any stretch of the imagination, he's also pretty much the best and firing up his squad. Maybe only second to Simeone.

Having said that, I'm glad Utd. signed Mou. I have no idea if they're going to succeed with him, but the EPL and the inter-manager shenanigans is going to be glorious to watch :D

/

Don't worry, Goatze is fine.

That doesn't excuse Dortmund being in the bottom half for majority of season.

I didn't say Klopp was a bad manager. I just said its funny how Liverpool fans say Jose is past it after one bad season yet Klopp has one and he is the messiah.

They also worship Benitez ironically too. Who is the definition of boring football. Which we saw at Real Madrid.

Tosyn_88

The 'he isn't a long term manager' argument doesn't hold up for Mourinho - Wenger's the last one, they simply don't exist anymore.

Pep stayed 3 years at Bayern, Ancelotti stayed 3 years at PSG and Chelsea, and you can bet your arse that when Real Madrid hound out Zidane for not winning a treble, they'll come calling for Pochettino, it's just how it works now.

I'm not sure Madrid will kick out Zidane. They may demote him to be an assistant but not get rid of.

Audioboxer

That doesn't excuse Dortmund being in the bottom half for majority of season.

I didn't say Klopp was a bad manager. I just said its funny how Liverpool fans say Jose is past it after one bad season yet Klopp has one and he is the messiah.

They also worship Benitez ironically too. Who is the definition of boring football. Which we saw at Real Madrid.

Just prem league rivalries and the hatred for other teams.

JM has risks, but he isn't past it. He's not going to have a smooth ride at Man Utd, but he's the best option going to try and make the team more competitive than they have been for the last few years. The fighting between all these managers is going to be fun to watch, but ultimately it should spur on the players to get some passion running through their veins. When we have shitty leaders in our team right now the manager choice can at least shake things up from the get go. Besides Rooney no one else acts like a leader or gets the passion flowing.

Klopp has the same kind of passion I hope JM shows. I can't stand muted managers, LvG with his rigid seat sitting and notepad was the antithesis of not showing any emotion. Even Fergie in his late 60s acted like a man on drugs on the touchline.

I'm not sure Madrid will kick out Zidane. They may demote him to be an assistant but not get rid of.

Zidane isn't going to be assistant manager again. Especially if he ends up winning next week.

Even if he doesn't his job is safe as the blame will be put on Benitez by Perez.

mekes

Sad for LVG, but only in the sense that I wanted him to succeed when he originally took over. Probably a little too divisive in his management of the players and stubborn in his approach for my liking. A few tweaks to his system could have seen us playing quite good football.

On Mourinho. Definitely admire him, but he's the guy I love to hate. A part of me wonders which Mourinho we will be getting, and a part of me thinks it will all come down to the budget he gets to work with. Give him the money and I'm sure he can build a good team. I think Shaw, B-Jackson, Fosu-Mensah, Martial and Rashford will be safe under him for the time being, I think they are good enough for Mourinho. We need a few quality additions that will allow us to take the shackles off. Better say bye now to Mata.

Audioboxer

Sad for LVG, but only in the sense that I wanted him to succeed when he originally took over. Probably a little too divisive in his management of the players and stubborn in his approach for my liking. A few tweaks to his system could have seen us playing quite good football.

On Mourinho. Definitely admire him, but he's the guy I love to hate. A part of me wonders which Mourinho we will be getting, and a part of me thinks it will all come down to the budget he gets to work with. Give him the money and I'm sure he can build a good team. I think Shaw, B-Jackson, Fosu-Mensah, Martial and Rashford will be safe under him for the time being, I think they are good enough for Mourinho. We need a few quality additions that will allow us to take the shackles off. Better say bye now to Mata.

Mata is too slow for the team. If Rooney was offloaded Mata would have a place. He's absolutely useless as a winger. Which is why it was frustrating LVG kept playing him wide.

Lingard is decent and can get better, but we need a big signing for right wing.

Mata is too slow for the team. If Rooney was offloaded Mata would have a place. He's absolutely useless as a winger. Which is why it was frustrating LVG kept playing him wide.

Lingard is decent and can get better, but we need a big signing for right wing.

Mourinho is good at identifying the players he needs.

I would say two cbs and Jones out. Wouldn't mind if Rojo is gone too. I don't think Mourinho will persist with this Blind experiment at CB.

We will need to sign a CM with Carrick going.

Mane, Ibrahimovic and another attacker coming in. Wouldn't be against binning Depay as his attitude stinks. Would love if we signed Mahrez. But I doubt that will happen.

I feel we need 5 to 6 players. Also get rid of Fellaini and Young.

It's great these young players are coming through. But this team needs more goals and a leader in defence.

SumGamer

Not sure why fans wanted him to be their manager. Mou is a great manager, accomplished one, yes. However, his football is so much objective. He would park the bus if he must do, regardless of the type of team playing against. I don't really like watching both LVG and Mou, games. They seems to be so strategic which makes the game boring some time. MUFC during Sir Alex is much exciting imo. He's strategic but from time to time he just pulled magical moment out from thin air.

Good luck I supposed.

Sadly I wouldn't be watching a lot of EPL next season with NUFC goes down :(

Audioboxer

Mourinho is good at identifying the players he needs.

I would say two cbs and Jones out. Wouldn't mind if Rojo is gone too. I don't think Mourinho will persist with this Blind experiment at CB.

We will need to sign a CM with Carrick going.

Mane, Ibrahimovic and another attacker coming in. Wouldn't be against binning Depay as his attitude stinks. Would love if we signed Mahrez. But I doubt that will happen.

I feel we need 5 to 6 players. Also get rid of Fellaini and Young.

It's great these young players are coming through. But this team needs more goals and a leader in defence.

Rojo is okay as a backup for Shaw, but not a starter. If he won't be happy with bench life then yeah sell him on. He's shockingly bad at crossing. Our whole team is right now. Blind hits 1 good corner for every 10. All the short corner nonsense does my head in.

I do agree, we need a clear out of some of the older players. The young talent should permanently have places on the bench with regular appearances.

Also I'd give Depay another season. Has a lot of raw talent, just needs good mentoring and some discipline. I fear if we sell him now he goes on to be amazing elsewhere. We should play a 442 with Martial upfront with Ibra if we got him. That way Depay could have a shot at left wing for another season. 4-5-1 is starving the team of goals. Rooney doesn't need to play AMC, he plays deep half of the time anyway. He'll be fine as a CM like Scholes now for another few seasons. If Basti is going to come back with a little left in his tank him and Rooney would make a good midfield combination. We would just need fast wingers to control the attacks. His passing usually is pretty damn good as well (Rooney).

Not sure why fans wanted him to be their manager. Mou is a great manager, accomplished one, yes. However, his football is so much objective. He would park the bus if he must do, regardless of the type of team playing against. I don't really like watching both LVG and Mou, games. They seems to be so strategic which makes the game boring some time. MUFC during Sir Alex is much exciting imo. He's strategic but from time to time he just pulled magical moment out from thin air.

Good luck I supposed.

Sadly I wouldn't be watching a lot of EPL next season with NUFC goes down :(

Did you actually watch Fergies last few years? Fergies last good year of exciting football was 07/08 with Tevez, Ronaldo and Rooney.

After that it wasn't brilliant to watch but efficient. Thankfully we had world class defenders to keep it tight.

Mourinho is efficient at what he does. Yes he'd be defensive in big games. But so was Fergie whenever we played at Anfield or any other big away ground. I still remember the embarrassing team Fergie put out away to City in the 11/12 season.

Just hope Woodward doesn't go chasing players he wants and instead just goes where Jose tells him.

You mean to say you didn't enjoy the pointless £145m bids for Neymar?

Solid post. I think people just love pushing tired old meme without ever analysing or watching the football.

Another point is the way Mourinho views the club. He has so much admiration for the club and SAF (and this will include youth development and attacking football) and it's a job he's coveted beyond the others. I don't think things will go down the way they did at Chelsea.

elfinke

Finally.

I have no idea whether it will work out or not, but at least:

a) It's not LVG and his fucking awful 'philosophy'
b) We'll never have to hear another 'Jose to United' rumour.
c) The Stretford End will come up with more quality Mourinho chants.

Glad for b and c. I didn't watch enough live football this year or even last to have an opinion on a, but I agree with the sentiment.

All this taking about how exciting the managerial match ups in the EPL are, speaks volumes for the quality -or lack thereof -of the actual playing XI's across the division especially in the top teams.

Will keep crossing fingers for CR7 to return.

Audioboxer

Glad for b and c. I didn't watch enough live football this year or even last to have an opinion on a, but I agree with the sentiment.

All this taking about how exciting the managerial match ups in the EPL are, speaks volumes for the quality -or lack thereof -of the actual playing XI's across the division especially in the top teams.

Will keep crossing fingers for CR7 to return.

Believe.

But it's just not going to happen lol :'(

Audioboxer

When you read any what went wrong article it is pretty grim

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35161761

They played more passes backwards, 3,222, than any other team in the Premier League and had a lowly 430 shots, including those blocked - a total that was only ahead of Stoke City, Norwich City, Newcastle United, West Bromwich Albion and Aston Villa.

In Ferguson's final title-winning season in 2012-13, United scored 86 league goals. This season they scored just 49, down from 62 last season, which was a reduction on the 64 scored in what was regarded as a dour campaign under Moyes.

Besides all the terrible stats and stat records broken for the wrong reasons I think one of the worst things said was Van Gaal saying "fans expectations are too high". That was really him falling on his own sword.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom