• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jose Mourinho to take over Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Adams

The reports have said Mendes will be in Manchester to finalize the deal on Tuesday, so we could see LVG fired or resign early this week and Mou named manager.

Fuck i was hoping they announce it on tuesday. Cant wait for LVG to leave. Go enjoy yourself on a beach you pompous ass.

Ken Adams

Good to have you, kid.

We lost a lot of shit posters when soccerGAF got closed down, looks like you can carry the weight by yourself.

But Footygaf suppose to be a Place for normal, legit banter or did this junior hit a nerve. And it Footygaf not soccerGAF suprise u dont know that being a old member of this board
anyways you can go on ignore now, no more use of you. cao
xyrScRf.png

But Footygaf suppose to be a Place for normal, legit banter or did this junior hit a nerve. And it Footygaf not soccerGAF suprise u dont know that being a old member of this board
anyways you can go on ignore now, no more use of you. cao
xyrScRf.png

Don't flatter yourself, son.

Alpende

LVG gets criticized for playing boring football, Mou's playstyle is boring as hell too. Wonder how that's gonna fly in Manchester.

Audioboxer

LVG gets criticized for playing boring football, Mou's playstyle is boring as hell too. Wonder how that's gonna fly in Manchester.

When you're winning things and challenging for the title something has to be working right. Like it or not the fans just want to see goals, and wins.

LVGs boring is sideways passing with a total of 3 shots on target in 90 minutes. How can you get worse than that? As I already said Leicester worst possession in entire league this year, and I'm sure their fans give 2 shits when they're celebrating the league and have Vardy and Mahrez pumping in goals.

Let's not forget even Fergies head to head with Mou. Chelsea routinely beat Man Utd under JM. Fergie always had a bit of a sketchy history with the other top teams.

Tosyn_88

I just watched his press conference. He almost looked in tears while he tries to answer press questions about his future. I think the press overdid it to be honest. He does deserve critic for some decisions he made and his stubbornness to do it all his own way, but I don't think he's deserved about six months worth of none ending snipe. I feel so sorry for him, almost want to hug him for the way he's been treated, at least when all is said and done, he did win the cup. Also he may have actually just began to get it right, he has added lots to our youth system, the way our young players have come in and showed confidence has been admirable and he is the one who initially injected some ideas into how the youth should play, the pitch and all that. Shame because he won't get to complete his plan which does feel really close, I hope he enjoys his retirement or whatever he choses to do after this, it wasn't meant to be I guess

Audioboxer

I just watched his press conference. He almost looked in tears while he tries to answer press questions about his future. I think the press overdid it to be honest. He does deserve critic for some decisions he made and his stubbornness to do it all his own way, but I don't think he's deserved about six months worth of none ending snipe. I feel so sorry for him, almost want to hug him for the way he's been treated, at least when all is said and done, he did win the cup. Also he may have actually just began to get it right, he has added lots to our youth system, the way our young players have come in and showed confidence has been admirable and he is the one who initially injected some ideas into how the youth should play, the pitch and all that. Shame because he won't get to complete his plan which does feel really close, I hope he enjoys his retirement or whatever he choses to do after this, it wasn't meant to be I guess

His rigidness to playing the same formation and tactics was never going to get it right. I fully believe if given another season even with new signings he'll just slot them into the 4-5-1 possession play and next year good luck winning anything with some of the powerhouses arriving in the league. The top 4 is going to be vicious. Even with Mou I think Man Utd should definitely focus on Europa League glory for CL entry. I can't say even with new signings the top 4 could be a given.

The media have been overly harsh though the last few days and if it's Mou's camp leaking this Man Utd gotta speak to them about that. Very unprofessional. The manager should always know the outcome first, and it does seem LVG is being honest when claiming his ignorance to everything.

I just watched his press conference. He almost looked in tears while he tries to answer press questions about his future. I think the press overdid it to be honest.

British press is the worst, absolute vile creatures.

I give Mourinho 3-6 months before they run out of praising articles and start attacking him.

Mourinho was good at Chelsea but his constant complaints about referees and the FA ended him. He was giving the press way too much ammo and they painted a completely different picture of him. Constantly having negative and speculative articles, unflattering pictures on the front pages.

In the end Mourinho had it coming, he said the players were with him and obviously some couldn't be arsed anymore. Instead of dropping them, he kept playing the same squad week in week out.

Bold One

His failure to adapt to the fast paced nature of the league cost him, his United team failed just about every test of character they came up against domestically and in Europe. seriously, if you see the stats, its pretty damning, on top of that he'd gone and spent 250 million, you don't spend that much of your boss' cash and fail to meet targets and still keep your job. Do you imagine he would survived at RM or PSG with those results? would have been sacked in December

I don't feel sorry for him,

Press has always been vultures but they've really upped it this season. I'd like to have seen Van Gaal in some sort of youth development role but can't see how that would work with Mou or if he'd even have accepted that sort of downgrade.

Audioboxer

His failure to adapt to the fast paced nature of the league cost him, his United team failed just about every test of character they came up against domestically and in Europe. seriously, if you see the stats, its pretty damning, on top of that he'd gone and spent 250 million, you don't spend that much of your boss' cash and fail to meet targets and still keep your job. Do you imagine he would survived at RM or PSG with those results? would have been sacked in December

Surely a little empathy for some of the press shit? I don't feel sorry he's failed as it is up to him to adapt to the EPL and what made Man Utd successful under Fergie. However especially at Christmas the press saying they heard he was sacked constantly was pretty unfair.

Our press are utter shitheads at times. Not just to LVG. They can basically post whatever they want and just claim "sources". Man Utd waited till no CL from Moyes and sacked him, they were always going to do the same with LVG regardless of reports. If it weren't for the FA Cup final this potential switch could have happened days after the league finished.

As much as I myself may have thought get Mou in December to salvage the season, it's probably best we kept LVG and gave him his trophy. To be completely fair our players lost the CL in the end with that shitty loss to West Ham. Our whole season hasn't been good enough but City were there for the taking with their own fuck ups and we fucked up harder.

Ken Adams

I agree and how he dealt with chica, depay and di maria was criminal. I wish he gave chica and di maria more time and not fuck with there positions. Both have been amazing since leaving UTD

Audioboxer

I agree and how he dealt with chica, depay and di maria was criminal. I wish he gave chica and di maria more time and not fuck with there positions. Both have been amazing since leaving UTD

That's what he does though. Set a rigid formation and play style and demand the players he has adapt. That's just not how you work it though. Occasionally players can adapt, but mostly you have to use players where they play best. Martial for example IMO needs to be a striker. As skillful as he can be, we need to get him banging in goals to up his confidence and reach his potential. He has such a cool finish, much like the god that was Henry, and we seen what he done in front of goal. I don't think he's going to be doing that hugging the touchline like LVG was obsessed with (even putting fucking Young upfront as a striker over Martial).

Ibra camping up front to save his old legs with Martial playing slightly behind with somewhat of a free role to drift wide a little. Please Mou. Do it. Even for the first season.

Ken Adams

Ibra camping up front to save his old legs with Martial playing slightly behind with somewhat of a free role to drift wide a little. Please Mou. Do it. Even for the first season.

That screams GOALS on paper. Now i wanna witness it. Martial is so friggin good.

Audioboxer

That screams GOALS on paper. Now i wanna witness it. Martial is so friggin good.

I don't even mind if he lays them all off to Ibra, just get the guy in the box constantly where he was born to play. He'll score.

We need pacey wingers who will cross, not necessarily cut inside all the time and try to dribble the ball in. How often do you see Martial cross the ball? He has a natural instinct to try and dribble his way into the box. Hence IMO best keeping him central and facing goal, not out wide. If Depay can actually be made to work and given a chance I don't mind him being given the left winger next season. Give him a consistent chance. He does like to cut in a lot, but just give him a chance. If he starts banging in screamers like Ronaldo did then who cares in the end if he has a thought for cutting inside and shooting. He could be Mou's Hazard if he can perform. As for right wing, we need a new signing. Lingard is decent but not consistent enough yet. Rashford can do right wing but best upfront. Let him learn from Ibra.

Valencia has shown he can still go a bit longer as an overlapping right full back, but we need someone fast in front of him to link up. Shaw and Depay could be a dream on the left wing. I just hope Jose goes for wing play, please give it a chance again and not another 4-5-1 through the middle. Hence why I can live with Mata being sold.

Corto

What is this craziness of a rumor that Ibra will be signed by MU as a player and as assistant coach to Mourinho?

Clegg

My only fear is that slimey Mendes. Don't want him forcing Mou to bring in his own players. Unless maybe James.
As Kharma said, United and Mendes have been doing business for years.

Even got De Gea to switch agent to him when we signed him from Atletico. United just seem to favour working with him.

I'm kinda torn about this news. I REALLY hope this won't turn into "2 great years of football, and then one more year of crazy fallout".

Jarnet87

i think a lot of the united fans were content with how Louie ended the previously season because of the top 4 finish, and that strong run of games which really clinched it. At that point it was still a process and that the players would get the system better in year 2 and we would see improvement. Then a solid summer of transfers (not so much in retrospect). After that it's really been all downhill starting with the 2nd summer exodus which many thought was overboard. We were cool with the clear out in year 1 but the excessive stripping of the squad puzzled people, especially with UCL football to play for. Season started and the football was shit but at least he got good results. November/December came and it was dead man walking for him. So many chances for him to try and get it together but he just kept walking that plank.

From article posted in the Football OT

From that point onwards, he started sending the players individual emails detailing their faults and submitting video clips to highlight his dissatisfaction. Except by that stage a lot of the players were so disillusioned many ignored the emails or redirected them straight to their trash. Van Gaal suspected as much and had a tracker fitted so he could check if the emails were opened and for how long. It became a game of cat and mouse. Some players opened the emails on their mobiles, then left their phones on the side and wandered off for 20 minutes.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...an-gaal-manchester-united-players-near-mutiny

If even a bit of that article is true and not just hearsay then fucking hell. You could see it being like that. Players played scared stiff and hardly ever experimented.

Looks like Depay rubbed Van Gaal wrong for sure.

Definitely. It was his way, end of story.

I remember when they announced Pep was taking over at Manchester City, watching a video of Thierry Henry explaining his philosophy when he played under him at Barcelona, comparing it to LVG. If I remember correctly, he said they would follow the same tactics LVG did at United in the midfield and defensive half. Where it was different was when they were in the opposing half. He said Pep let them do whatever they wanted. They had free reign, something LVG obviously didn't allow. It was very interesting. Wish I could find it.

ElyrionX

I like Mourinho. I hope he stays a long time at United though his track record does not suggest that.

It is an absolute shitshow that this leaked less than 24hrs after we won the FA cup though.

Ullus

This is gonna be fun, also one of the Swedish papers are saying that Zlatan will become a assistant trainer (coach?) @ United. Don't see that happening at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom